PDA

View Full Version : So, what's next?

Stratos
27 September 2006, 03:11 AM
Bounty Hunters has just been released!

Teeny, tiny starships I'm not interested in is coming in November.

What's next (after the ships) in the SW Miniatures line? Any ideas, rumors, speculations, facts?

- Stratos

Jedi Master Talon
27 September 2006, 05:51 AM
The next set is Alliance vs. Empire, it will be released sometime next year, hopefully early next year.

They have an unofficial set list thread over at the wizards board, but it just started and only has a couple guesses on it so I wouldn't get to jumpy. What they do know is that this set will have Yuuzhan Vong in it and that Wicket will finally get a piece.

Stratos
27 September 2006, 07:31 AM
Didn't we already have Rebel Storm? :)

Wicket - I can live without (but I see why they're making him). We do need more Ewok variety. An official glider would be cool too - to help take those AT-ST down on Endor!

More Yuuzhan Vong... DROOL!!! Not sure how they fit in an Alliance Vs. Empire theme but bring them on baby! Shapers - please!

And Mara Jade Skywalker... PLEASE!!

Kanth D'Bari
11 December 2006, 02:27 AM
I want to see a set totally dedicated to the EU with characters like Mara Jade and Lumiya... heck Fenn Shysa would rock too!

Oh please please please Hasbro/WotC, see the magnificent resource you have for us loyal gamers... don't leave us hanging. :)

The more generic or even non movie characters you make, the more stuff we have to use in our games. Do this and I promise to buy every bloody Saga book that comes out :)

Please, please, please

Oh and while you are at it, could you dig some copies of the Heroes Guide out of the warehouse and sell them to us at a reasonable price ;)

Stratos
11 December 2006, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Kanth D'Bari
IThe more generic or even non movie characters you make, the more stuff we have to use in our games.

I agree with this comment. We now have a lot of fantastic generic Fringe BUT I want to see more unique aliens instead of yet another Wookiee, Quarren, Twi-lek, etc.

Donovan Morningfire
11 December 2006, 05:31 AM
Speaking of EU characters vs. movie characters...

Enough frakking Vaders! Seriously, there's been one Vader for every set. We've got command Vaders, beat-stick Vaders, heck even dancing ballerina Vaders. Yes, I know he's the central figure of Lucas' films, but enough is enough!

Same can be said for the Heroes of Yavin. There's at least three or four versions of each of them.

If you need to have uniques, there's plenty of characters in the EU that can be pulled from instead of rehasing the same half-dozen or so characters in every frellin' set!

Sorry, just had to get that out of my system.

Sithspawn
11 December 2006, 05:52 AM
Sorry, but I'm pretty sure the license requires WOTC include Vader/Anakin in every set.

Alliance vs. Empire, yes Wicket was confirmed. I'd certainly like to see more Ewoks. I'm hoping more that just Rebels & Empire will get representation and I so want Jar Jar.

I do believe that Rob @ WOTC did say that every Factions will be represented in 2007, though not necessarily in AvE.

Stratos
11 December 2006, 06:21 AM
Wicket will be lame. I'm glad for more Ewoks but he's hardly a hero. Heck he'll probably be a VR chase figure.

cheshire
11 December 2006, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Donovan Morningfire

Enough frakking Vaders! Seriously, there's been one Vader for every set. We've got command Vaders, beat-stick Vaders, heck even dancing ballerina Vaders. Yes, I know he's the central figure of Lucas' films, but enough is enough!

I know where you're comming from, but I think I'd like to see Vaders still in production. I'm relatively new to the game, and I would love to have a Vader, a Luke, and a few other of my favorites. It would be a shame to see them go out of production and I would never get one. (That is unless I wanted to pay out the nose for one on eBay.)

gmjabreson
11 December 2006, 07:29 AM
I've got both Vaders from the Rebel Storm set, which is bad enough, so YES, NO more Vaders please. I was tickled pink getting Wedge, now how about more of the Rogue Squadron pilots, Like Wes Janson? Or maybe some of the Wraith Squadron pilots, like Wedge dressed up as an Ewok, lol (classic). Admiral Zsinj, anyone? But seriously, can they at least give others a chance to get into new sets before they introduce another one?

They get too many out there, and I'll lose what interest I have left. Trying to keep up with things on limited game budgets gets tiring, especially when one has very limited access and locations to stores that carry them.

cheshire
11 December 2006, 09:12 AM
Wicket seems like an odd choice to me. Ewoks are generally cannon fodder or door openers for me.

Though, I've always wanted to go into a tournament with a squad of 33 Ewoks just for laughs.

Kanth D'Bari
11 December 2006, 09:15 AM
Oh yes and I totally want characters from the new Legacy Comics!

Cade Skywalker? Yes, yes yes!

Imperial Knights? Hell's yeah!

Stratos
11 December 2006, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by gmjabreson
I've got both Vaders from the Rebel Storm set, which is bad enough, so YES, NO more Vaders please. I was tickled pink getting Wedge, now how about more of the Rogue Squadron pilots, Like Wes Janson? Or maybe some of the Wraith Squadron pilots, like Wedge dressed up as an Ewok, lol (classic). Admiral Zsinj, anyone? But seriously, can they at least give others a chance to get into new sets before they introduce another one?

They get too many out there, and I'll lose what interest I have left. Trying to keep up with things on limited game budgets gets tiring, especially when one has very limited access and locations to stores that carry them.

The 'problem' with pilots is... without a vehicle to actually pilot they're basically just Unique heroes and to be honest, we don't need more uniques! If they want to give us more pilots, make them generic A-Wing, B-Wing, X-Wing pilots like the original Rebel Storm pilot.

Having Wedge is cool... I just don't see any logic to more unique characters.

Sithspawn
12 December 2006, 04:09 AM
Sorry, but how exactly is Wicket an odd choice?

Appearances: Return of the Jedi, Caravan of Courage, The Battle for Endor, Ewoks TV series.

Wicket has more screen time than Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi & Darth Vader.

It's the two second Bounty Hunters and EU like Thrawn that are odd choices over movie characters. Personally I would like characters with screen time to take precedence over anything else. Ephant Mon, Oola, TIE pilots, Death Star Troopers, Duloks, Endor Marauders, Jan Tosh, Mungo Baobab, Admiral Screed to name a few. B)

Stratos
12 December 2006, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by Sithspawn
Sorry, but how exactly is Wicket an odd choice?

Odd choice - no. Lame - yes. Will I own one? if they make it I will own it. Realistically though he'll be melee with Attack +2 thru 4 and HP and Dam of 10. Is that really worth the points he'll cost to field? And knowing WoTC they'll make him Rebellion and therefore restricted to one faction.

It's the two second Bounty Hunters and EU like Thrawn that are odd choices over movie characters. Personally I would like characters with screen time to take precedence over anything else. Ephant Mon, Oola, TIE pilots, Death Star Troopers, Duloks, Endor Marauders, Jan Tosh, Mungo Baobab, Admiral Screed to name a few. B)

Being a EU fan - I'm glad Thrawn is in the bunch. He is wicked fun in the game - the Imperials wipe me out every time he's on a team. They did some great stuff with him as a game piece plus he was a great way to intro Chiss to the game. AND there was a WEG version so why not a WoTC one too?! They need Jorrus C'boath now! And Palleon!

Oola? Why? The rest you named I'd love to see... especially Duloks and Droids characters that don't look cartoony.

Kanth D'Bari
12 December 2006, 04:31 AM
I must confess to preferring a variety of characters and choices than say making sure we have every on screen character. But I see the point of Wicket. In the same way I see the point of having Jawas.

Still I would love to see some more EU characters, especially those from the Marvel Comics.

Who wouldn't love to have Tobbi Dala, Dani, Rik Duel, some Nagi, Lumiya, Fenn Shysa, etc? These are good characters and add to the game no? Yes there were plenty of lame Marvel concepts, but in the end there was cool to be found and I say those would make awesome minis!

Your mileage may vary ;)

Sithspawn
12 December 2006, 09:20 AM
Marvel characters would be cool, especially the Nagai. Don't get me wrong, I do want to see EU characters, but there are still pleanty of movie ones.

Oola, because she's a recognisable character. And also because I want minis not just for the Minis Game but for RPG.

I do believe that something was said about WOTC having more freedom to create their own charcaters too. Now does that mean actually named characters? I don't know. Maybe they'll bring out RPG suppliments and then bring out minis to go with them. It will be interesting to see what WOTC do with this.

Donovan Morningfire
12 December 2006, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Stratos
Oola? Why?
Why not? :D

Being that I'm in a similar position as Sithspawn in regards to the minis, buying them to use for RPG sessions, I'd much rather see a wider array of character types than have WotC constantly recyclying the same half-dozen characters in every expansion.

Two, maybe three versions of a character? That's cool.

A new version of the same character in each set? Not cool.

From an RPG perspective, you only need so many Darth Vaders. And at seven models, there's plenty of variety already for the Sith Lord if/when he shows up in my games.

gmjabreson
13 December 2006, 04:06 AM
well, one can always create stats for the person and use a similar looking "mini" to represent. I've used lots of things to represent characters, shoot, used to have hundreds of Gi Joes I would use for a while, then went to the WEG minis and paper minis from the WEG Sets that came with them, then micromachines, and now the WotC minis.

I wouldn't mind more unique characters, but less MEGA Rare characters that cost arms and legs to get.

Ris
14 December 2006, 01:19 PM
I have seen somewhere, probably Amazon while I've been "Windows Shopping," something about a 30th anniversary set. Is that the Alliance vs. Empire?
Though I might just buy individuals if it's going to be Vong-heavy. I just am not into Vong or the NJO novels. I had a few C/UC Vong from the Universe set & I gave them all to my 10 year old son since he thought they were cool & I just didn't see myself ever fielding a squad with them, nor was I interested in collecting characters I could care less about. (Aren't I awful?)

As for the "Why Oola?" question, here's this Distaff Gamer's take: The same reason there's a "Slave Leia" mini -- To cater to the fantasies of male gamers! (j/k)*
Ris :marajade:

*Which begs the question: Why isn't there an Oola or Flt. Off. Dia Passik Smilie on here? I was looking for one to add to this post. And how about a Tal'dira for the Distaff gamers?

Kanth D'Bari
14 December 2006, 01:26 PM
So two things.

1] When is the tentative release for AvE?

2] Any guesses on what figs we will see in said release?

Sithspawn
14 December 2006, 03:41 PM
1) May. This the 30th anniversary of Star Wars. So look out for a major LFL marketing campaign and chirning out loads of tacky junk amongst the odd jem, like Star Wars Miniatures :)

2) Wicket, Vader and Han I believe are confimred. This set will be Original Trilogy heavy. Basically Rebel Storm all over again.

Ris
15 December 2006, 07:54 PM
According to the Amazon site, May 15, 2007 is the release date for Alliance vs. Empire.
I don't know if I believe that, since they are still saying that the release for Starship Battles is mid-January.

Donovan Morningfire
16 December 2006, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Ris
According to the Amazon site, May 15, 2007 is the release date for Alliance vs. Empire.
I don't know if I believe that, since they are still saying that the release for Starship Battles is mid-January.
Well, May does make sense for all the reasons listed above (30th annivesary and all).

On one hand, I'm kinda glad it's a nice long wait between Bounty Hunters and AvE, as I'll plenty of time to set money aside to buy a few cases.

But on the other, May is quite a long ways away... hopefully we'll have the Sage Edition book to tide us over 'til then.

Stratos
16 December 2006, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by Donovan Morningfire

Well, May does make sense for all the reasons listed above (30th annivesary and all).

On one hand, I'm kinda glad it's a nice long wait between Bounty Hunters and AvE, as I'll plenty of time to set money aside to buy a few cases.

But on the other, May is quite a long ways away... hopefully we'll have the Sage Edition book to tide us over 'til then.

I wholeheartedly agree. The wait is nice, especially with Saga releasing somewhere in-between, but it's also a LONG time before new minis hit the market.

Kanth D'Bari
16 December 2006, 05:46 AM
Ugh... May? Blern! Oh well that is what it is.

On the other hand I couldn't care less about Saga Edition, though if the initial reviews are good I may bite.

Lord Kjeran
16 December 2006, 11:23 AM
Chello!

Speaking of Marvel comics EU characters, there is a certain grenn jackrabbit and female companion I'd love to see....:D

Tony

Sithspawn
26 December 2006, 03:15 AM
Luke Skywalker, Champion of the sith

as previewed by Rob @ WOTC.
Luke Skywalker (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=761246)

Stratos
26 December 2006, 06:00 AM
Luke Skywalker, Champion of the sith

as previewed by Rob @ WOTC.
Luke Skywalker (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=761246)

He's actually the Champion of the Force (not Sith - although with the billboard under his feet he may as well be 'sith' spelled differently).

Sithspawn
26 December 2006, 02:50 PM

He's actually the Champion of the Force (not Sith - although with the billboard under his feet he may as well be 'sith' spelled differently).
D'oh! I knew that. That's what happens when you try to read half a dozen threads at the same time :P

Sithspawn
28 December 2006, 04:03 AM
An add has been posted in the WOTC forums.
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=762041

Confirmed characters now are: Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker (Champion of the Force), Wicket, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Biggs Darklighter, Ephant Mon, Han Solo.

Stratos
28 December 2006, 05:40 AM
An add has been posted in the WOTC forums.
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=762041

Confirmed characters now are: Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker (Champion of the Force), Wicket, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Biggs Darklighter, Ephant Mon, Han Solo.

Ephont Mon could be cool. He's supposed to be an arms dealer so that could play heavily into his stats - decent at melee and ranged with a thick hide to absorb damage (more HP). And Affinty with Jabba to cost at least a point less... of course I'd have to rebase him after paying scalper fees on eBay.

Admiral Zaarin
1 January 2007, 04:54 PM
I'd definitely like to see Mara Jade in there. She is by far my favorite Star Wars character for a lot of reasons and I don't think the other version they did of her does her justice. :(

gmjabreson
2 January 2007, 07:57 AM
well, I'm either gonna save up my money for the next set or keep buying the Universe boosters I can find.

Is there a set release date yet on the alliance set?

I haven't bothered with the Starships either, since from what I've seen they are basically the Micromachines, which I have plenty of already. I just might get some once my bookstore is finally able to get ahold of Starter boxes. Shame someone broke the mold so soon and delayed shipments of Starters, calling for a big delay until the broken mold is rebuild and production can continue.

Sithspawn
3 January 2007, 06:36 AM
May 23rd 2007

I've put the flyer up on my web page.
http://www.ugavine.com/swmini_soon.htm

Donovan Morningfire
5 January 2007, 03:50 AM
Okay, it looks like we're finally getting an impressive Jedi Knight Luke.

May 2007 eh? Time to start squirreling away money for cases...

Stratos
5 January 2007, 03:59 AM
Banana Peel Luke? Naw!

I'm using the stats with my NJO Luke from Universe.

Stratos
22 July 2007, 03:46 AM
GenCon is less than a month away and we usually see signs of a new release to follow in early September... but nothing this year? Is our next release of miniatures actually Force Unleashed? and When?

Why the hold up? It's not like they could possibly run out of ideas? And you'd think with as much fuss as they made over Alliance and Empire and the 30th Anniversary that they'd want more, new products ASAP.

Sithspawn
25 July 2007, 03:18 AM
I believe that four sets have been announced for next years.

The next set is Force Unleashed in November, and it's a Huge set :(

For what it's worth, Rob has opened a thread on WOTC asking for ideas for ships for another SSB set.

Stratos
25 July 2007, 04:15 AM
I believe that four sets have been announced for next years.

The next set is Force Unleashed in November, and it's a Huge set :(

For what it's worth, Rob has opened a thread on WOTC asking for ideas for ships for another SSB set.

So, since WizKids is so successful with their ships, WoTC is going back on their word and releasing a follow-up? Typical. Will this be one of the next four sets or in addition to?

Truthfully, I'm burned out. I only have 3 minis from Alliance & Empire and plan to sell off most of my Republic, Seperatist, and Rebel armies at Wizard World Chicago and GenCon. I only plan to keep a playable 200-point team of those three factions. I can always mix it up with Fringe. I currently have complete sets from Rebel Storm thru Bounty Hunters with 4 of each Common and Uncommon. I will be cutting my collection in half! Yay!

Elvenshae
25 July 2007, 08:10 AM
[B]

So, since WizKids is so successful with their ships, WoTC is going back on their word and releasing a follow-up? Typical. Will this be one of the next four sets or in addition to?

What do mean, "going back on their word?"

First, that's needlessly antagonistic.

Second, WotC never said anything definite about SSB expansions. When it came out, they very clearly stated that, at the time no expansions were planned. They've maintained that posture since the release. Never have they said, "There will never be another SSB set." Therefore, there is no way they could be going back on their word.

Stratos
25 July 2007, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Elvenshae

What do mean, "going back on their word?"

First, that's needlessly antagonistic.

Second, WotC never said anything definite about SSB expansions. When it came out, they very clearly stated that, at the time no expansions were planned. They've maintained that posture since the release. Never have they said, "There will never be another SSB set." Therefore, there is no way they could be going back on their word.

You're right - it was antagonistic. Didn't know anyone would take offense to it.

Sithspawn
26 July 2007, 03:46 AM
I'm just flicking through Game Trade Magazine #90 and there's an article on Star Wars Miniatures.

There's an interview with Sarah Haines and Rachel Kirkman, Brand Manager and associate Brand Manager for SWM. Sarah is also a player in one of Moridins games!

Rachel says there will be a series of 10 downloadable RPG adventures, campaign titled Dawn of Defiance. She also goes on to say "There is certainly more on the way," when asked about Starship Battles. Hmm... I wonder if this is one of the four planned sets for next year or in addition to?

Sarah talks about Force Unleashed, yes it is a huge set. And Luke, Vader & Obi-Wan all get new force powers. She isn't ruling out Gargantuan & Colossal minis for the future.

Both are Princess Leia fans :leia:

Stratos
26 July 2007, 03:56 AM
I'm just flicking through Game Trade Magazine #90 and there's an article on Star Wars Miniatures.

Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to much of what you reported on... but with restrictions.

cheshire
26 July 2007, 05:39 AM
I know we're due for another huge, but honestly, I'm not thrilled about the huge minis. Up until I purchased Saga, I only had the one battle map found in the Revenge of the Sith starter. There's little room to maneuver a huge mini. Also (and this is very silly) I don't like them because they don't fit nicely into my minis box.

So, I may purchase a Force Unleashed booster pack, and I may not. I don't like paying the added price to get a huge mini that I don't really want.

Sithspawn
26 July 2007, 05:59 AM
cheshire, I agree with you about the huge minis. While I do like some of the figures themselves, carrying the Huge down to my mates each week is a major chore, to the point where I don't bother most of the time.

I also agree about the unreasonable price hike WOTC add to huge boosters. I bought two cases of A&E, but as for Force Unleashed I'll probably just buy singles off a certain auction site. November release too, right before Xmas, not good. I'll keep most of my spending for next years sets I think.

Stratos
26 July 2007, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by cheshire
I know we're due for another huge, but honestly, I'm not thrilled about the huge minis. Up until I purchased Saga, I only had the one battle map found in the Revenge of the Sith starter. There's little room to maneuver a huge mini. Also (and this is very silly) I don't like them because they don't fit nicely into my minis box.

So, I may purchase a Force Unleashed booster pack, and I may not. I don't like paying the added price to get a huge mini that I don't really want.

I hear ya. From here on out I'm going the secondary market route... just buying what I want. Randomized/Collectible is for the birds!

cheshire
26 July 2007, 06:17 AM

I hear ya. From here on out I'm going the secondary market route... just buying what I want. Randomized/Collectible is for the birds!

What are you talking about? I mean, everybody NEEDS that 87th stormtrooper!

Honestly, though, I'll buy some packs, but it has to do with what minis I might want within the series. I can buy a Champions of the Force and be pretty happy with almost anything I get. I'm not, however, going to buy another Alliance and Empire. Just not worth it to try to get the minis I want.

Stratos
13 December 2007, 03:59 AM
Same question I started over a year ago...

Now that The Force Unleashed and Hoth Scenario minis are out and in scalper/circulation... any rumors as to what will be released next? And when?

Honestly, I'm not anxious for them... just curious.

Evil overlord
13 December 2007, 11:14 AM
Over on the Holocron, they have some box art for the Legacy of the Force boosters, which is supposed to come out sometime in Feburary/March. Also, coolstuffinc is preselling KOTOR figures, which is coming out in August. coolstuff also mentioned something about the new KOTOR game:)

Stratos
13 December 2007, 11:27 AM
Wow! Both Legacy and KOTOR will finally make it into minis?! Very cool.

I did see last night on the Alliance Distro. website that solicitation dates have been given for various RPG books - including KOTOR! Maybe it'll all be tied together like The Force Unleashed is supposed to eventually be.

Evil overlord
13 December 2007, 11:32 AM
Yeah, but even coller is that if the KOTOR set has minis from the new game, it means KOTOR 3 is going to be out before 2009 (hopefully.):D