PDA

View Full Version : Who was captain of Devastator?

Mad Tech
6 October 2006, 05:19 PM
I have searched the internet for an answer to this question with no luck. Who is the captain of Vader's flagship Devastator in ANH? Does anyone know?

Mad Tech

boccelounge
6 October 2006, 05:48 PM
Lord Tion was the commander just prior to the events of Episode IV; if I remember the ANH radio dramatization correctly, Leia killed him while fleeing Raaltiir with the Death Star plans.

I can't recall any captain being named during the events of Ep4, other than saying it was "transferred to Lord Vader." And a quick search of the internets gives me nothing you haven't seen, I'm sure...

I hope this is of some help.

Ubiqtorate
6 October 2006, 06:01 PM
Wow, yeah, everything I've read seems surprisingly silent on that. Could it possibly mention his name in the novelized version of ANH? Or the radio drama? Besides that, I'm not sure where else to look.

Mad Tech
6 October 2006, 06:28 PM
I did another search and finally turned up one bit of information. According to the Completely Unofficial SW Encyclopedia, Captain Bolvan was captain of the Devastator when Vader ordered the attack on the planet Falleen.

If anyone finds a more official answer, please slap up a post here.

Thanks,
Mad Tech

gmjabreson
7 October 2006, 03:25 PM
hmm, has anyone bothered to check Decipher? The original Creators of the Customized Card Game? IIRC they did a card for him, but I can't remember the name. Yes Lord Tion was the Commander of it, until he was killed on Alderaan. Leia killed him after she made the mistake of mentioning the code name of the Death Star while Lord Tion was having dinner with her and Bail (Radio Dramatization). His body was later placed in the hunting areas to make it look like a hunting expedition accident.

I do believe that Decipher did create a card for the guy you seek, but don't remember the name of the card or in which set it was released in.

The Admiral
9 October 2006, 01:55 PM
Just spent an hour scouring the internet for this datum, to no avail. In my opinion this character has yet to be named.

A minor clarification; Tion was not 'in command' of Devastator, he oversaw an operation from the Devastator, the ship would have remained under the command of her Captain. This would also be true when Vader was using it as his flagship, just as Piett was Captain of Executor when that was Vader's flag.

gmjabreson
9 October 2006, 04:23 PM
While Exploring the Databanks I came across this site, and this data. However I don't know how "reliable/canonical" it is. Looks like another website page for another game group.

http://www.piett.org/cult/isd-devastator.html

boccelounge
11 October 2006, 08:47 AM
This question obsessed me for a few days last week... the more I dug, the more convinced I am that this little fact has never come up-- though of course I could be wrong.

I found the names of EVERY Imperial officer that speaks in ANH (and the names of several who don't), but none of them is meant to be the Devastator captain.

Originally posted by gmjabreson
hmm, has anyone bothered to check Decipher? The original Creators of the Customized Card Game?
Yes, I found a pretty good list of the cards on Wiki-type sites, but couldn't find our elusive Captain.

Originally posted by The Admiral
A minor clarification; Tion was not 'in command' of Devastator, he oversaw an operation from the Devastator, the ship would have remained under the command of her Captain. This would also be true when Vader was using it as his flagship, just as Piett was Captain of Executor when that was Vader's flag.
True, of course. But all of the references say Tion "took command" of Devastator. And we all know that SW uses the word "commander" rather ambiguously-- both as a rank ("Commander Skywalker") and as a general denotation of someone in tactical command ("Commander, tear this ship apart... "). So I'd say Tion might possibly maybe be considered the "captain" as well as a task force commander-- a "Commodore" type position, if you will. Just throwing it out as a possibility...

And using that second meaning, note that the official sources say Vader is the ship's "commander" during ANH.

While Exploring the Databanks I came across this site, and this data. However I don't know how "reliable/canonical" it is. Looks like another website page for another game group.
Yeah, the "captain" listed there is a real person-- one of the members of the fan club that hosts that site.
This is not the in-universe name we're looking for...

So, until someone proves otherwise, I'm going to say this is one area those crazy detail-obsessed EU authors hasn't dealt with yet-- and thus, it's something we can all make up on our own, as needed by our own campaigns.

Ardent
11 October 2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by boccelounge
True, of course. But all of the references say Tion "took command" of Devastator. And we all know that SW uses the word "commander" rather ambiguously-- both as a rank ("Commander Skywalker") and as a general denotation of someone in tactical command ("Commander, tear this ship apart... "). So I'd say Tion might possibly maybe be considered the "captain" as well as a task force commander-- a "Commodore" type position, if you will. Just throwing it out as a possibility...
Tangential insight here; the term commander is thrown around frequently in the real world military as well; and in the Navy it remains the most aggravating. Commanders can be captains of vessels, but not commanders of taskforces (except in SOCOM ops, I believe). Whereas Captains can be commanders of taskforces...the U.S. Navy is a branch infatuated with its tradition of indecipherable rank structure.

So it would be erroneous to attribute this particular failure entirely to the lack of knowledge on GL's part. That said, I can't really help bring you guys any closer to an answer; all my guesses have already been brought forth.

gmjabreson
11 October 2006, 09:48 AM
agreed, that this should be looked into, and we've dang near exhausted everywhere to look for such an answer. hmmm, maybe this question should be on the Star Wars hot shot quizes?

but of course, who would want to try a question that doesn't really have an answer to yet.

boccelounge
11 October 2006, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Ardent
So it would be erroneous to attribute this particular failure entirely to the lack of knowledge on GL's part.
Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that at all; to the contrary, I've occasionally in the past seen others (on these forums amd elsewhere) criticize SW/GL on the "commander issue"-- or just be confused by it. I was only trying to pre-empt any problems... ;)

of course, who would want to try a question that doesn't really have an answer to yet.
Well... us, I guess. ;)

Kalechaoslord
11 October 2006, 04:02 PM
so , it seems it was Captain Bolvan, under the overall comand of Tion/Vader, until any one can come up with a better candidate.

This is potentially useful as we know so little about him and what happens to him that you could do what you like with him (and not run foul of canon if you worry about that).

gmjabreson
11 October 2006, 04:27 PM
that's very true, on both. It don't say much about him other than the story on the destruction of Falleen in Shadows of the Empire. But didn't see any official stats on him either in there.

The Admiral
11 October 2006, 06:11 PM
I dunno whats so difficult about the ranking system, it's been around for about four hundred years;

A lieutennant (now called a Lieutennant Commander, and referred to as Commander) is promoted to Master and Commander (now called a Commander) of a small warship, and thusly becomes its first commander, referred to as captain though without the rank, thusly as a post-captain in the Naval listings to indicate a Commander who is in command of a command so whilst not a Captain is still referred to as captain. At this point the Commander (who is referred to as captain) may move sideways to another ship becoming the Commander of that ship though he is not in command, the commander of the ship is either a senior Commander or a Captain though in any case he will be referred to as Captain whilst the Commander will remain merely the Commander. Later in their career the Commander may be promoted to Captain and assume command of his first large command under the rank of Captain where he is referred to as Captain because they are in command. Now, when that command becomes part of a group of commands it must come under the command of a commander who may be a senior Captain referred to as commander when on the command of a Captain, or an Admiral. In either case the commander of the group maintains command of that group and not command of the command of the Captain except in so far as that command is under the command of the commanding officer of the group in question.

Perfectly simple.

In any case for a formal command to be in place the person in question would have to hold a military rank, and neither Tion nor Vader do. So.

boccelounge
11 October 2006, 06:58 PM
I dunno whats so difficult about the ranking system, it's been around for about four hundred years...
Well, Ardent's US Army; it's part of his job description to razz Navy guys... ;)

In any case for a formal command to be in place the person in question would have to hold a military rank, and neither Tion nor Vader do. So.
While I tend to agree that there is an actual "captain" besides either of these two... I don't think this real-world statement necessarily applies to SW.

We're talking about a fantasy milieu, after all, one with with Barons and "Moffs" and Viceroys and planets run by popularly-elected 13-yr old Queens... :rolleyes: There's no reason to assume that their military structures work exactly like ours; in fact, there seems to be quite a lot of evidence that it doesn't.

This is my take, at least in what Id allow for in an RPG story. YMMV, of course.

gmjabreson
12 October 2006, 06:40 AM
I was US Army too, but when we talk to officers, they all just "Sir". Platoon leaders or XO's, "L-T", but we didn't have Commanders. One must not forget that Inquisitors were given Command of ships, with out Rank, It was their ship/ Taskforce given to them by the Emperor. Emperor's Hands can be given Command of Assets and use them as they see fit, within reason. So they don't really need Military Ranks to Command, just the Emperor's or High Commands Blessing.

Ardent
12 October 2006, 09:13 AM
I'm USAF on loan to the DIA, actually. But you were close, Bocce. It's nothing personal; we don't like the Navy because they tend to complicate a workplace. An all Air Force office is a productive office. Need I say more?

Mad Tech
12 October 2006, 12:56 PM
Wow! I didn't think I'd get so many responses. I appreciate all of the help in trying to identity this seemingly obscure character.

Thanks,
Mad Tech

boccelounge
12 October 2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Ardent
I'm USAF on loan to the DIA, actually. But you were close, Bocce. It's nothing personal; we don't like the Navy because they tend to complicate a workplace. An all Air Force office is a productive office. Need I say more?

Yeah... Air Force. Why did I write Army? I knew it was AF. :?

Maybe I still confuse you with JoJohnJohansen-- a (sadly) absentee HoloNetter and Army Intel guy who you sort of replaced in the old BoRB game... yeah, I'll go with that theory.

As for the inter-service rivalry... my grandfather was a Navy man; my father Army. So I grew up accustomed to a certain degree of (good-natured) ribbing...

And... crap. I'm way off-topic now. Well, I'm glad you got some help, Mad Tech-- at least knowing there is no answer is better than not knowing, and continuing a fruitless search.

wolverine
13 October 2006, 01:17 AM
So what, if we like our anacronyms....

gmjabreson
14 October 2006, 05:36 PM
shoot, who's to say Bolvan wasn't the Captain the whole time, just stuck serving under people like Lord Tion and Lord Vader, people that got the credit for his ships deeds? No proof that there wasn't someone else, but no proof that there was either.

Dang these unsolvable questions. Wheels within Wheels again.