PDA

View Full Version : Price hike?

cheshire
8 October 2006, 04:05 PM
After just getting into the minis game, I heard from my game store manager that WotC is increasing the prices of the minis booster packs. Can anyone lend any credance to this, or is this just unsubstantiated rumor?

Stratos
8 October 2006, 04:28 PM
I haven't heard anything but I will investigate for all of us.

I do know that currently boosters are $12.99 for regular size and $21.99 for Huge sets. For only 7 minis in either size box, I can't imagine any logical price hike... it's already $2/mini out of the box - not counting the secondary market!

Elvenshae
10 October 2006, 08:29 AM
That's actually the post-price hike prices.

They used to be $10.99 and $19.99 MSRP.

They're now $12.99 and $21.99 MSRP, for a total change of $2.00.

gmjabreson
10 October 2006, 08:32 AM
more than likely it was an attempt by Wizards to level the field. $12.99 has been the price of them in my area for almost a year now. I'm sure no matter where you went to get them, the price would be different, since Wizards only offers a "Suggested" retail price, and the dealers can then sell them at whatever above that price they want (their profit in the deal).

PneumaZ
10 October 2006, 12:55 PM
what has really irked me is that I bought a crate of cases so i could get a complete run and i STILL could not get every mini...i think thats just unreasonable - even with the 30 rares in the set. what really irked me was 3-4 duplicates in the same case....ugh.

Donovan Morningfire
11 October 2006, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by PneumaZ
what has really irked me is that I bought a crate of cases so i could get a complete run and i STILL could not get every mini...i think thats just unreasonable - even with the 30 rares in the set. what really irked me was 3-4 duplicates in the same case....ugh.
That's the thing with buying cases, is that it all depends on how the boosters were sorted.

I got lucky with Champions of the Force in ordering three cases and getting the whole set. I know guys that ordered more than that and were still a figure or two short of getting the full set (of course, they ordered a single case from several different retailers where I got all three from the same retailer, so that may have played a part).

As for the price hike... well, we gamers should know this isn't a cheap hobby, though it's got to loads cheaper than Warhammer and their ilk.

If all you're after is a complete set of figures, there are several on-line retailers that offer whole sets for sale; I'm currently waiting on my full set order for Bounty Hunters to ship (got delayed due to distributor issues).

Ris
17 October 2006, 05:03 AM
If price is an issue, Amazon often offers the mini's packs -- boosters & starters -- for well under the sugested retail, especially pre-order & shortly after release. Plus, 1 starter & a booster (or 2-3 boosters) is enough for free shipping.

While I know a number of people, including me, have had problems getting RPG books from Amazon, I've only had 1 minor problem with an Amazon mini's order, a slight delay on some Champions of the Force boosters, so I don't hesitate to recommend them.