PDA

View Full Version : Starship Battles Officially Announced w/ RULES!!!

Elvenshae
12 October 2006, 09:38 AM
Hey, all!

The SW Starship Battles game has now been officially announced - including its product page over at WotC - and, get this, the entire game's rules have been posted as well!

You can find the product page here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/starshipbattles

And the rules here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/SBrulebook

Woot!

Elvenshae
12 October 2006, 10:21 AM
Also, for anyone interested, here are the stats for the first lightside ship whose card we can see:

Mon Calamari Cruiser Home One
50, Class 2, Rare, 2 / 60
Lightside
Hull 6 / 4
Command 2

Full Strength

Point Defense: +2
Weapons: Turbolasers (Attack +2; Damage 3); Ion Cannon (Attack +4; Damage 3 [+1 Damage against Full-Strength Ships])
Abilities: Unique; Fighter Launch 2; Tractor Beams (Enemy starfighters of equal or smaller class must [???] the area adjacent to this ship.)
Defense: Forward: 16; Sides: 14; Aft: 10

Reduced

Point Defense: +0
Weapons: Ion Cannon (Attack +4; Damage 3 [+1 Damage against Full-Strength Ships])
Abilities: Unique; Fighter Launch 2
Defense: Forward: 13; Sides: 11; Aft: 7

Stratos
12 October 2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks Elvenshae for the update, links, etc. I've made this a Sticky for future reference and discussion.

Elvenshae
12 October 2006, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Stratos
Thanks Elvenshae for the update, links, etc. I've made this a Sticky for future reference and discussion.

No problem! In continuing news ...

The main SWM/RPG site on Wizard's page - here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/welcome&dcmp=ILC-SW062006FP) - has pictures of three minis on it: an X-wing, a TIE Interceptor, and the Milennium Falcom.

The products page - here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/products) - has a picture of Slave 1.

:)

Can anyone else tell how excited I am? :D

Moridin
14 October 2006, 06:00 AM
So what does everyone think of the rules?

Sedelaaire
14 October 2006, 08:25 AM
I may be wrong, but the starship minis look very much like the MicroMachines ones with a different base . . .

Stratos
14 October 2006, 09:02 AM
I'm honestly not interested in this game.

As for the minis looking like MicroMachines - that wouldn't surprise me in the least considering it's all one big happy Habro family... but I have to assume they're actually new models/sculpts. Then again, I've only seen one or two pics online.

kaeroth
14 October 2006, 10:37 AM
I may be wrong, but the starship minis look very much like the MicroMachines ones with a different base . . .

Well, unlike characters, there aren't too many different "dynamic" positions you can put a starship in. You could tilt it from the base at a different angle, or you could maybe add some weapon discharge like on the AT-ST, but other than that...not much. Though from the picture it looks like the XWing's weapon barrels seem a bit shorter, which would probably mean they'll be bent less often when you open the pack.

As for the rules, they seem pretty good. Without being able to play yet,I dunno how they work out practicaly. I'm not a minis guy, but I *might* look into using this to deal with starfighter combat in my rpg, since I find the rules in the RCR can tend to bog down the speed of space combat. Although the quick mortality part of it might not be a hit with my players....

Elvenshae
16 October 2006, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Moridin
So what does everyone think of the rules?

I find the base rules themeslves pretty exciting.

That being said, there's basically two really big unknowns which will really determine how this game is going to shake down:

1) Commander Effects: We've seen examples of them, but by no means do we have a solid mechanical understanding of how they work. Take the Command Rating on the Home One I posted above. Does it provide 2 command points? Does it provide command points which can be used with Class 2 ships?

Originalyl posted by the Rulebook
Command: Some starships have Command counters that allow special options in play.
Command counters arenít used in the Quick Start battle.

... and ...

Originally posted by the Rulebook
Certain ships, such as the Republic Cruiser, have a type of special ability called Command. A shipís Command rating specifies what classes of ship it can influence. It provides 1 Command counter for each Command entry on its stat card. Each round, you can use Command counters to choose Fleet Commander options from those listed on the sheet.

I think, reading this, that Home One gives one command counter for use with Class 2 ships.

2) Special Abilities: This is, really, where the intricacies are in the base miniatures game. We've received hints about four of them so far (Fighter Launch, Anti-fighter Targeting Systems, Tractor Beams, Long-Range Bomber), and already they've got some game-changing effects.

I think that once we get a better handle on how the above things are going to work, the game will look even more interesting.

Elvenshae
17 October 2006, 12:26 PM
All,

Here's a link to a thread I started over on the Wizard's boards. Basically, it's a repository for all the confirmed ship stats and ship miniature images.

It's a little sparse at the moment (we only have confirmed stats for Home One and confirmed placement for one other ship, the Banking Clan Frigate, and no pictures yet), but more will be made available as time goes on.

You can find the Starship Battles Set List & Gallery here (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=722627).

Elvenshae
19 October 2006, 10:37 AM
You can find the first preview here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/SBPreview1oiun

It includes the game stats for the Vicount and the Executor! :D

Stratos
19 October 2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Elvenshae
You can find the first preview here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/SBPreview1oiun

It includes the game stats for the Vicount and the Executor! :D

Very interesting stuff. I'm curious to see these in person to get a real feel for their size.

Elvenshae
19 October 2006, 04:47 PM
I believe that for each of the class 1 ships, the base itself is 4" by 4", and the ship overhangs quite a bit, in addition.

I'm betting that they'll feel suitably massive. :D

kaeroth
21 October 2006, 02:29 PM
There's a mention in the description of the Executor that it's the only Class 1 ship in the Dark Side fleet. So its Command effect that affects Class 1 ships can only be used on itself?

BTW, Garan mentioned, in the other thread about Starship Battles, an attempt in the writeup to deal with the different names and dimensions of the Executor that have been flung around. I don't know if that story has been put forth before, but I thought it was a good way to explain the differences and take a side without ignoring the other arguments.

Elvenshae
23 October 2006, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by kaeroth
There's a mention in the description of the Executor that it's the only Class 1 ship in the Dark Side fleet. So its Command effect that affects Class 1 ships can only be used on itself?

Yep. It also has a 1-4 Command Counter, so it can (presumably) issue a command to any single other class, as well.

The Rebel side's Class 1 - the Viscount - has the same Command Rating.

kaeroth
23 October 2006, 08:52 AM
The Rebel side's Class 1 - the Viscount - has the same Command Rating.
Yes, but I don't *think* it said that the Viscount was the Light side's only Class 1 ship. Although it wouldn' t make sense for the good guys to have more than one ship the size of the Executor and the baddies not. Do you think we might, in some future set, see a Class 0 ship (like the Eclipse)? Maybe there's a torpedo sphere out there somewhere, too.

Aldaron
24 October 2006, 10:48 PM
If the rules are easily compatible with the RPG, I'll be definitely getting it. We've muddled through with the broken RPG rules for years, and I've patched it enough that it kind of works, but it would be nice to have something that really does work - provided I can throw a custom character into combat and not just have to accept whatever the "rules" give as their modifiers (no, dammit! Jamila has Diplomacy +18 and Command +17 - she damned well better get something other than the "standard" command bonus! :) )

If they don't fit the RPG, then I'm afraid I won't be buying it. I may as well buy more micromachines for my Star Trek games...

Stratos
25 October 2006, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Aldaron
If the rules are easily compatible with the RPG, I'll be definitely getting it. We've muddled through with the broken RPG rules for years, and I've patched it enough that it kind of works, but it would be nice to have something that really does work - provided I can throw a custom character into combat and not just have to accept whatever the "rules" give as their modifiers (no, dammit! Jamila has Diplomacy +18 and Command +17 - she damned well better get something other than the "standard" command bonus! :) )

If they don't fit the RPG, then I'm afraid I won't be buying it. I may as well buy more micromachines for my Star Trek games...

Um, yeah. I don't think they'll be RPG-compatible. I really don't see how that would work for WoTC or the games.

kaeroth
25 October 2006, 05:59 AM
I don't think they'll be RPG-compatible.

We-ell, GMSarli implied, nay, outright said in the UnCon chat that was just posted on this site from the WotC boards, that they would work well as background. Like, the PC's would be rp-ing their fight stuff out in space (with the new modified Saga rules, whatever they're going to be), and the GM or the GM and the players could be playing out the larger huge space battle with the minis. The saga stuff is supposed to be more compatible with the minis (material right there for a whole argument thread itself), so things like that should flow more smoothly together.

Stratos
25 October 2006, 06:58 AM
We-ell, GMSarli implied, nay, outright said ...

And he'd know. Interesting development. Still doesn't make me interested in playing with tiny ships. Heck, in our RPG we have NEVER played a starship combat in 6 years! We focus on characters and espionage. Not piloting and dogfighting.

Elvenshae
25 October 2006, 10:07 AM

Yes, but I don't *think* it said that the Viscount was the Light side's only Class 1 ship.

Well, the rules do state that there are only two Class 1 ships, and the only place to get them is in the Starter Kit, so ...

Class 1: The largest capital ships in the game. There are two such ships in the Starship Battles set, available only in the Starter Set--the Super Star Destroyer Executor and the Mon Calamari Star Defender Viscount. Class 1 ships move 1 square per turn.

Elvenshae
25 October 2006, 10:08 AM

Heck, in our RPG we have NEVER played a starship combat in 6 years! We focus on characters and espionage. Not piloting and dogfighting.

Heh - just goes to show the differences, then.

I've yet to play a SW campaign the didn't involve at least one, and usually several, space battles.

kaeroth
25 October 2006, 11:39 AM
Well, the rules do state...

Oh, sure! I guess if you're going to pay attention to the rules, then, well....ahem. See, I see something, I make a comment, I don't bother to research it too much, and then I look like a goof.

Elvenshae
1 November 2006, 02:29 PM
For anyone still following, my set list and gallery - here (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=722627) - has just received a rather large infusion of stats and pictures.

Check it out!

We've now got enough stats (minus the commander effects, unfortunately) to run a good-sized game! :D

Stratos
5 November 2006, 02:10 PM
I suppose everyone else is so attuned to WotC products that they are already aware of these, but I just decided to check their site and found these two furthur previews.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/SBPreview2

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/SBPreview3

Elvenshae
6 November 2006, 08:04 AM
As an added bonus, Preview #4 (which should go live on Thursday this week), will feature two Dark Side ships. :)

Ris
13 November 2006, 01:32 PM
I just went to Amazon to put in our family's order for starters & boosters, as we've been planning on for a while. But, after weeks of a November '06 date, the page now says
Availability: This title will be released on January 16, 2007. Pre-order now!. I then went to the WotC SW mini's page & it still has the release date of November 2006. So what's going on?

Elvenshae
14 November 2006, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Ris
But, after weeks of a November '06 date, the page now says ... I then went to the WotC SW mini's page & it still has the release date of November 2006. So what's going on? [/B]

I suspect that you waited way too long to preorder.

I preordered mine back in July from Coolstuff, Inc., and mine will be shipping at the end of this month.

The seller that Amazon is listing seems to have received far more orders than expected (others posted about this same issue on the WotC boards), and so, first-come first-serve, you'll have to get in line.

Try contacting CoolStuff, Inc. (http://www.coolstuffinc.com) or another online seller to see if they can get them to you any earlier.

Ris
14 November 2006, 03:06 PM
Found them on Cool Stuff, Inc. Funny I never saw them there b4.

When I first saw the date, I also thought I might have waited too long to preorder, but, as I quoted in my post, Amazon is specifically saying it Isn't Being Released until January and that you can Preorder, not that the items are Backordered until then. If it is the case that the Battles sets are backordered, then Amazon is guilty of misrepresentation & I do not care for that way of doing business. I am also disappointed, since we have never had any real problem getting our mini's order. Part of the reason I asked what was going on here is because I intend to write a letter of complaint to them if it does turn out that Amazon or their distributor is indeed misrepresenting a supply issue as a new release date.

Lord Kjeran
25 November 2006, 04:42 PM
Chello!

Well, I picked up a starter and a couple of boosters Wednesday...definitely loks like an interesting game.

Tony

Elvenshae
28 November 2006, 11:14 AM
Hey, Ris! Any luck with getting your order sorted out?

Stratos
22 January 2007, 04:23 PM
Hey all - I've "unstuck" this thread since the game has been out for a short while now and chatter is basically over.

Donovan Morningfire
23 January 2007, 02:39 AM
Local game store had a in-house tourney for the game this past weekend using the standard 300pt fleet, and I got a chance to play (Rebel-themed fleet).

I ended up getting 2nd place overall, losing to a Vulture droid-based Seperatist fleet, though my "Rogue Squadron" did a pretty good job of mopping up. Still, the overall tourney was a blast, even if it was only 8 people playing. I did rather enjoy the look on the one guy's face as my X-Wings took down the Executor with nary a shot launched from my captial ships (I chose not to use the Viscount so that I'd have the points for all the X-Wings I fielded). Ended up with three boosters, which provided me a lot more ships that I needed on the Light Side to get a full set, as well as finally pulling a TIE fighter.

gmjabreson
23 January 2007, 02:51 AM
The reason for the preorder thing again, was that someone broke the mold for either the Viscount or Executer for the Starter Sets, causing a back up in the orders of that set after a limited production run. I found out about that when I went to my local bookstore to pick up some boosters and a starter, and owner told me cause he inquired about where his starter sets were that he ordered. He got the boosters, but no starters, and that was what Wizards/Hasbro gave him for a reason, He had it on speaker so the few of us there asking the same question could all hear why he didn't have them yet.

Stratos
23 January 2007, 02:58 AM
Thanks DM for the summary. Glad to hear people are playing. Truthfully I've not been interested in the game but locally some guys were playing it thru the Christmas holuday season until recently when they switched to B5: A Call to Arms and Victory at Sea. Some of these guys work at the FLGS so they basically play anything of interest. They did comment that with a lot of tweaking Starship Battles was a lot of fun.

Elvenshae
23 January 2007, 07:01 AM
They did comment that with a lot of tweaking Starship Battles was a lot of fun.

I think that the best way to put it is that, at base, the SSB game is quick and easy. I taught a couple friends of mine, who are dedicated boardgamers but not minis or RPers by any stretch, the rules and in an hour or two we'd played two games. They were immediately able to grasp how to play, some basic strategies, and had a good time.

For those looking for some rules tweaks to make a more advanced game, I've got a list of user-developed scenarios here (http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php?p=11190744&postcount=3).

gmjabreson
8 March 2007, 03:40 AM
I finally was able to buy a Starter Set and Booster set, and now I'm completely set.

Got Home One, Tie Bomber, Tie Fighter, X wing, A wing Ace, and Imperial Shuttle. And since they are the same size as my micro machines, Holy H-E-double Hockey sticks, look out. Since I've got Six Impstars, lots and lots of Tie fighters, Xwings and other fighters from there, lol.

I do admit though, that I'm seriously thinking about buying more boosters however.