PDA

View Full Version : That's not a Good Sign....

BRodgers
19 October 2006, 12:26 PM
Getting this when I try to visit the site:

"This domain name expired on 10/11/2006 and is pending renewal or deletion."

Someone want to shake Nealos awake and tell him to pay his bill?

;)

Thinithil
23 October 2006, 12:40 PM
I noticed that as well. I thought perhaps he was waiting to see if anybody over here would notice.

That was the site that first led me to search for more SW on the web and I'd be sorry to see i go. But I don't think there has been a new issue of the Journal now in years.

BRodgers
24 October 2006, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Thinithil
I noticed that as well. I thought perhaps he was waiting to see if anybody over here would notice.

I noticed!!!!!

Do I win a prize?

:D

That was the site that first led me to search for more SW on the web and I'd be sorry to see i go. But I don't think there has been a new issue of the Journal now in years.

Yeah, if memory serves, I think the last full issue of the jrnl rolled out...jeez, I think it was late 2004 or early 2005. So yeah...almost 2 years, at least. I know there have been a lot of starts and stops in trying to get the OJ rolling again, but, I can tell you from personal experience, you need a LARGE group of dedicated folks who have a LOT of free time on their hands to pull off anything resembling the last issues of the OJ. But hey! Best of luck to whoever decides/attempts to take the reins for that project.

evan hansen
26 October 2006, 04:46 PM
I know there have been a lot of starts and stops in trying to get the OJ rolling again, but, I can tell you from personal experience, you need a LARGE group of dedicated folks who have a LOT of free time on their hands to pull off anything resembling the last issues of the OJ. But hey! Best of luck to whoever decides/attempts to take the reins for that project. [/B]

No kidding. And over email, it gets even harder. Ego, unintentional insults, politics, mistakes... all become magnified ten times. I was totally burnt out when I had to quit working with the site (by the way, it's a little funny [Ok, and sad] that I'm still listed as moderator of this forum... *grin*), let alone the daily grind of the journal.

The original ressurection was pretty impressive. But as always, real life gets in the way. I think a few of us have just had a little too much real life to get the ship righted again.

That said, if people have copies of the old PDFs of the journals and the supplements, I'd be happy to put them up on my site with proper credits, etc. I'm sure Tim/Nealos wouldn't mind since we've "known" each other for 10 years and since I was webmaster for so long.

cheshire
26 October 2006, 05:35 PM
I think that finding the back issues might be the problem. No one has come forth and said that they have a copy saved.

Has anyone checked the wayback machine to see if they might be listed there?

cheshire
27 October 2006, 07:24 AM
Okay, I think I've found a link or two that might help.

This one takes you to the main directory where the site was hosted:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.starwars-rpg.net

Here you can see a few issues in HTML format:
http://web.archive.org/web/20010503042359/starwars-rpg.net/journal/

I don't think any of the PDF versions survived, but I'm not sure.

ElfWord
30 October 2006, 08:17 PM
If anyone needs any of the stats entries off of DLOS, you can still find them in the Google Cache (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=site%3Adlos.starwars-rpg.net+Capital+Ships&btnG=Search).

Ubiqtorate
30 October 2006, 08:36 PM
Once a site name "expires" like that, how long does the owner usually have before the site is deleted? Or is it just a question of whether or not someone else wants to use the domain name?

ElfWord
31 October 2006, 03:27 AM
It depends on the registrar he used. Usually about 15-30 days. If the domain expires, I'll probably attempt to buy it to either hold it until Nealos reappears, or use it for a similar site if he doesn't come back.

Ubiqtorate
31 October 2006, 05:18 AM
Does anyone know where Nealos is? I haven't seen him around here in a pretty long time.

ElfWord
31 October 2006, 07:24 AM
When I saw the domain was expired, that was one of the first things I did, looking for a way to contact him. But the e-mail address listed in his profile is a @starwars-rpg.net address(which won't work while the domain is expired), and the WHOIS information for the domain is also inaccessible while the domain is expired(unless someone is willing to pay $15 to access the records at Domain Tools (http://domain-history.domaintools.com/), in which case you might find an alternate e-mail address or a phone number).

So the only option is to hope someone else here on the boards has a way of contacting him we don't.

Ardent
31 October 2006, 09:15 AM
The only real hang-up with getting the OJ rolling again is finding a graphic designer who isn't a pompous idiot (we miss you Scotty!) and finding someone willing to be the managing editor, which is pretty much like having a part-time job you don't get paid for.

Well, and now finding somewhere to host it.

I believe it's been mentioned before, but most of the staff writers are still lurking...and with Saga down the road, there will be a demand again. It's not inconceivable that the OJ will resurrect itself again.

Ubiqtorate
31 October 2006, 03:58 PM
What sort of graphic design work is involved?

I'm not qualified to do it myself, but if that's the only real hangup, I might see if I can twist some arms...

Ardent
31 October 2006, 04:05 PM
Layouts, primarily, although we'd need to check and see if there are still artists available to tap for OJ projects.

Deano
1 November 2006, 07:10 AM
I've sent an email to Nealos on the two addresses I have for him. Cross fingers and wait I guess....

Deano

BRodgers
22 November 2006, 12:20 PM
Soooooooooooooooo..............

When I go to the site now it looks like the same old index page Nealos had up...

However.....

When I click on, well ANY of the links on that page it sends me to this:

http://www.starwars-rpg.net/links.html

SHENANIGANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8o

BRodgers
8 December 2006, 05:56 AM
So, yeah....

To follow up, since the interest in this situation has disappeared...

I think it's a shame that a site that was the host to so many cool SWRPG sites has gone belly up and become nothing more than a giant advertisement.

So! If any of the webmasters who used to have their site hosted at Starwars-Rpg.net relocate, it would be great if you could post an updated link for everyone.

I know Deano moved Toris (Thanks man!) so we all can continue to enjoy it. It would just be a shame to see so many cool sites fade away.

That's my two creds anyway.

Deano
8 December 2006, 10:41 AM
It's all a bit strange. I've still not heard back from Nealos, which is somewhat odd.

I can only hope things will get sorted, but it does not look likely.

I'm half tempted to buy the domain myself....

Deano

BRodgers
8 December 2006, 11:25 AM
Yeah, in a few days it will be two months since the domain expired. I know in the past this has happened a handful of times but Nealos always had things up and running in a couple of days, a few weeks-max.

That he's not returning e-mails or addressing the situation in any way certainly doesn't bode well.

:(

OverLord
12 December 2006, 02:42 AM
He mailed me the day before the site went down and when I replyed it got delivery failure...

Haven't heard anything since.

I got a backup of DLOS, but I have nowhere to put it.

ElfWord
15 December 2006, 09:31 AM
Do we know of any other SWRPGNetwork members that live in the Netherlands? I don't think free international calling is covered in my cell phone plan.

Grimace
15 December 2006, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by OverLord
He mailed me the day before the site went down and when I replyed it got delivery failure...

Haven't heard anything since.

I got a backup of DLOS, but I have nowhere to put it.

Overlord, while I don't have a website for hosting DLOS, I could certainly put up the D6 stats for things on my D6 Universe (http://www.dimfuture.net/d6universe/index.php) if you're interested in doing that. It was unfortunate when I had to delete the link from the site, but I would certainly like, as I'm sure others would, to put up the stats for things (with appropriate credit) that were on the site.

Let me know.