PDA

View Full Version : So, what's exciting about the Rebellion Era?

Stratos
30 October 2006, 09:36 AM
I've just recently been asked to join a new RPG group that will be set in the Rebellion Era. I've been playing in the Rise of the Empire Era since Theed came out (a little NJO too). Haven't done much with any other era since the WEG days.

So... what exciting things can happen in the Rebellion Era? Obviously the movie content... but apart from that, what should i consider for chracter background, etc?! I'm well versed in the EU so I'm not looking for specific details from a specific source. Moreso, I'm looking for interest and excitement in specific or generalized events/ideas.

Thanks!

Jedi_Shadow
30 October 2006, 10:13 AM
One of my favorite things about the Rebellion Era is the "underdog" nature of the good guys. Rebels are often scrappy, underfunded, jack-of-all-trades (depending on when in the era you are), and often have to rely on underground connections to get material and information they need. In contrast, the bad guys are well-funded, highly organized, and very, very numerous.

As far as events go, the sky's the limit, I say. Launch a sabotage on a top-secret Imperial Superweapon, which renders it useless. Help a number of trapped Rebels escape an Imperial prison/base/world.

I'm also a fan of smugglers. Thumb your nose at the patrols, then punch it to light speed!

As far as character background goes. A lot of that depends on you and your tastes. You could play a young, green Rebel soldier, a fighter jock, smuggler, bounty hunter, you name it. So what kind of things are you interested in doing?

Zanus
30 October 2006, 02:00 PM
I don't know about the whole 'superweapon' thing, but that is alot of good ideas. One thing you may want to consider is looking at the old WEG books covering the era (which there are plenty of, if you can find them). Personally I have always been a fan of Pirates and privateers. Many many ideas in there.

You may want to ask the group what 'norms' they have in their campaigns. Like strormtroopers, are they all clones, recruited or mixed? If they are recruited or mixed, you could be a former stormtrooper or pilot or whatever. If all cloned, well, I am hesitant to suggest defecting clone, but maybe army/navy trooper who likely where not clones. Or work for one of the Empires many security agencies (active undercover or defecting) or be a struggling Pirate/Privateer.

As far as events, well I am sure the GM will have plenty of those planned. What could happen? Pirates/privateers. Cime lords (using the former and more). Mercenary and smuggling jobs for anyone (Empire, Rebelion, crime lords, 'collectors', etc). Fighting off Imperial Attaks, participating in Imperial Attacks, attacking the Empire. The 'New Order' really wasn't all that orderly. At least in Rim areas and regions where the Rebellion was active. The Core was fairly stable, with a few exceptions (Shadows of the Empire anyone?). I think it is fairly easy to have small events happening durring this era that don't mean much or could save whole worlds without disturbing the flow of 'known' events. Or find opportunities to interfere with or change known events. Become 'Darth Bob' or some such.

Only thing you will have trouble with is being a Jedi. not to many left (personally I discount the EU and figure there are only 2 left. some EU, like clone war's comics, would make it seem you could found a whole new order with just the surviving jedi, which doesn't seem right to me). Even being a Force Adept is likely to draw unwanted attention your way, light or dark side.

wolverine
30 October 2006, 02:52 PM
As a twist, why not play a rebellion era game, from fringers perspective... THe empire was bad for the most part to fringers...

Stratos
30 October 2006, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by wolverine
As a twist, why not play a rebellion era game, from fringers perspective... THe empire was bad for the most part to fringers...

Not a bad idea. Truthfully I've always wanted to play from the perspective of the Empire... as a soldier, officer, trooper - whatever, just someone completely loyal to the Imperial way of life and thought. Killing Rebels, slaving non-humans, etc. With no moral qualms about it.

Darth Iurus
30 October 2006, 11:18 PM
I would consider the most interesting time period of the GCW era to be about 5-10 years BBY. There is no "Rebel Alliance" at this point, so involvement in any of the 3 main Rebel groups or smaller militias is possible. You also have any of the other options of the Galactic Civil War: an Imperial fighting for rank and status, bounty hunters and thriving crime syndicates, Jedi fighting to remain unknown, members of the Inquisitorious or Emperor's Hands fighting for their missions, etc. I chose 5-10 because this is virtually identical to the known Rebel era: the time period is close enough that Solo is a smuggler, Fett is a feared bounty hunter, Vader has earned his status as the Sith Lord we all know.

gmjabreson
31 October 2006, 05:29 AM
There are lots of ideas that can be used in the Rebellion Era. Too many for me to list in one post, lol. But seriously, there is rough data about what is available in the years coming up to the Civil War between the Rebels and Empire.

To me that is the more interesting Era to get into, and that's why starting a game in 13 days here on the holonet about it. Players are starting out the day After the Empire is Declared by Palpatine. Playtesting of new sourcebook weapons, vehicles and such is one thing that you can do leading up to the Rebellion. Think about it, you can "Test Drive a Walker?!" and report to Colonel Veers about how it handles. You can be a captain or a crew member of the First Imperial Star Destroyer off the line.

The possibilities are limitless in any era really, but more so for the Clone Wars and Rebellion Eras.

wolverine
31 October 2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Stratos

Not a bad idea. Truthfully I've always wanted to play from the perspective of the Empire... as a soldier, officer, trooper - whatever, just someone completely loyal to the Imperial way of life and thought. Killing Rebels, slaving non-humans, etc. With no moral qualms about it.

I have done the whole imperial angle befoer, with them being ISB agents. BUT even then, the moral quams were still there. I just had them being people who felt the empire was trueoly better for the galaxy..

Darth Iurus
31 October 2006, 09:55 PM

I have done the whole imperial angle befoer, with them being ISB agents. BUT even then, the moral quams were still there. I just had them being people who felt the empire was trueoly better for the galaxy..

They could be storm troopers. They have no morals beyond loyalty to the Emperor.

Stratos
1 November 2006, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Darth Iurus

They could be storm troopers. They have no morals beyond loyalty to the Emperor.

Right, or ambitious but moral characters - like Pallaeon - who tryly think the Empire is a glorious institution.

gmjabreson
1 November 2006, 04:07 AM
heck, they could even become a group of warlords and go at it against each other for rule of the Empire while fighting the Rebels as well. Political intrigue, battles, etc.

Alis_Morningstar
5 November 2006, 01:26 AM
Let's not forget there are other baddies out there other than the Empire. The Guilds had strangle holds on the businesses they "represented" and amounted to little more than mobsters collecting protection money. Fighting the guilds while staying under the Empires scopes and avoiding entanglments could be a little... interesting.

Ubiqtorate
5 November 2006, 05:56 AM
Oh, now there's an interesting moral dilemma for a campaign setting: baddies vs. baddies. The Empire against the guilds, the mobs, or those fringe terrorists that have been causing so much trouble on the Outer Rim. What do they call themselves? Yeah, the Rebel Alliance. Or the Alliance to Restore the Republic. I mean, really, who wants to go back to the old way anyway? What a bunch of radical kooks.

Oh, how the lines would blur... :)

Stratos
5 November 2006, 06:07 AM
But as the legal form of government... why is the Empire bad? :)

Just kidding.

I'm thinking about playing an Arcona Scoundrel who is teamed up with a Rodian Pilot and together they are smugglers working for either a Guild or Black Sun. Eventually they have a run in with an "Imperial entanglement" that leaves them scare-poodoo-less and they start to aide the Rebellion against the Empire.

Alis_Morningstar
5 November 2006, 11:36 AM
How did the Rebellion start? Not the Alliance, but the galatic civil war. They probably were terrorists to start with. So who are the true bad guys? I just don't see a lot of the background universe as clear cut as the movies portray. Maybe it's just me, but I see good guys on both sides of the civil war, and with some exceptions (the big ones of Luke, Vader, and the Emporer) it doesn't seem a struggle of good and evil so much as opposing views on government.

Jedi_Shadow
5 November 2006, 11:56 AM
That's one of the most fascinating things I find about the Civil War era. We know from the movies that the Empire is built ostensibly on peace and security, but that very peace and security is brought about by fear, oppression, and bigotry. If you are human, law-abiding, support the Empire and exalt its leader, then peace and security is very much a part of your life. You will see anyone who breaks the law, or undermines the Empire, or slanders the Emperor, or possibly isn't even human as different and dangerous. You would likely not feel safe and secure with them around.

Now imagine that you are that alien. You have done nothing wrong. You have gone through the proper channels and are registered within the Empire as a lawful and peaceful citizen. Yet everywhere you go the Humans of the Core look on you with arrogance and revulsion.

Of course there are good guys on both sides of the War. Darth Vader is not seen in the Empire as a villain, but as its greatest champion. We as an audience see the bigger picture, the good and evil, and the ultimate consequences of actions in Star Wars because the movies are crafted to do so. The movies are very much a story of good and evil, love and hate, on and on... But there are heroes in the backgrounds of both sides of the war, and there's lots of story potential in that.

gmjabreson
5 November 2006, 04:37 PM
yeah but don't forget, anyone with a grudge against you or your family can trump up something on you and then you'd feel the weight of the Empire irregardless if you were law abiding or not. Paranoia was another thing that was common within the Empire.

Rogue Trader
5 November 2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Shadow
Of course there are good guys on both sides of the War. Darth Vader is not seen in the Empire as a villain, but as its greatest champion.
Which, in a way, is very much a continuation of the state of things during the Clone Wars. "There are heroes on both sides" as we learn in the opening text crawl of RotS. As well, "Evil is everywhere."

What we see during the Galactic Civil War and the time of Rebellion is a continuous state of conflict between the traditional aspects of "good" and "evil", while, at the same time, we learn that within the greater scope of both the sides of good and evil -- the Rebellion and the Empire -- are smaller aspects of good and evil also being played out. It's about the Rebel sympathizer whose become so frustrated with the lack of support from the Rebels that he decides to turn to the Empire for help to protect his town from raiders and pirates. He is a hero to the people he's protecting, but has now become an enemy of the Rebellion. It's about the Imperial Navy captain who has had enough of the death and destruction of the Empire's campaigns against its enemies and decides to do whatever he can to sabotage such future efforts. He's a champion of the oppressed who is also now an enemy of the Empire.

That's what exciting about the Rebellion Era for me. While on the surface everything may appear to be just about the good vs. the bad, to be about the Rebellion vs. the Empire... it's only when you take a closer look that you realise that smaller, and just as important battles between good and evil, are constantly being waged on both sides of the Galactic Civil War.

Alis_Morningstar
5 November 2006, 11:24 PM
You seem to have missed my point. By "good guys" I did not mean heros, but morally responsible people. Pter Thanas, Palleon, even Thrawn himself in some ways. I was referring to the fact that though the leadership may have been evil and there may have been corruption in the ranks (however widespread) that the Empire itself was not. No government on that scale, however short term or evil it is, could be consistantly evil. There are too many people, each one of which is more of a balance of good and evil, so much so it would be hard to quantify. On the other side no large structure (such as the New Republic or even the Rebel Alliance) could be uniformly good. In areas outside central control, you begin to see a further breakdown of the large organization into more individual actions. An Imperial Officer might (while not under direct supervision from central authority) spare the aliens ordered to be purged, while a lone rebel may strap a bomb on his chest and blow up a cruise liner or passenger ship to make his point. You cannot view someones faction alignment as a direct view of their goodness or villanery. Such distinctions lack the individuals views and often are caused by a lack of understanding that no two people truly view any one thing the same way.

Kalechaoslord
6 November 2006, 04:22 AM
Yes good people can work for bad organisations.

Also you should remember the claim was' there is no starvation, or civil war (really?) within the empire. In a way it could be good. no one starved,
there were no major fights between groups, the pirates were dying out. thanks to these good people, unfortunetly it is based on a corrupt core dedicated to a totalitarian regiem which has fscist overtones.

What they did could be good, how and why may not.

Pter Thanas, Palleon and Thrawn were/are good people. They wanted a strong goverment that does the right thing without arguing, the imperial 'ideal' rather then what it was

gmjabreson
28 November 2006, 04:41 AM
Not to mention the battle within individual people that "Have" Morals. Of course there are some crooks out there that don't have them and kill and steal at leisure.

Soldiers on both sides chose their sides and followed orders. Some began to see that both sides could be wrong and formed their own factions or groups and began surgical strikes against both sides for gains.

Grimace
28 November 2006, 07:13 AM
Okay, I'll bite.

What's so exciting about the Rebellion Era?

It is exciting because it offers the opportunities to have the "common" individual the opportunity to take part in something against a much larger and dominating opposition. There is a grand government, one that can offer games of government intrique and all things associated with established governments and the dealings surrounding them.

You've got the guilds and other criminal organizations that are growing and gaining more and more power, and how they interact not only with the commoners, but also interaction with the Empire and its officials. The potentials there are great.

You've got the commoners, ranging from scouts and gamblers and other fringers, to farmboys and princesses that find themselves embroiled in events that have been spurred into action by the Empire. They could be in it for profit, in it for family, in it for themselves, for revenge, for a cause....any numbers of reasons. Conveniently, they could also be against the Rebel Alliance, as maybe someone in their family was killed by the rebels in a raid or some such. By having an established government and with rebels trying to fight against it, or against guilds, you open up lots of opportunities for common people to get involved for any number of reasons as the wild events of the rebellion affects their life, or the shadowing dealings of a guild or criminal organization affects their life.

Finally, you have the endless struggle of the Rebel Alliance against the vastly more powerful, more organized, and better equipped Empire. Any time you have an underdog going against "The Man", and do it to the tone of "good vs. evil" and "save the day", you have the makings of fun and excitement.

While other eras can offer bits of these, or different facets of them, the rebellion era offers the established government and the struggle against it and organized crime. It can include adventures for those directly in the government, those in the organizations, those in the alliance, or just a common "nobody" that ends up turning into somebody.

Does that help answer what is so exciting about the rebellion era?

gmjabreson
30 November 2006, 06:47 AM
now who can compete with all that?

Lord Kjeran
1 December 2006, 08:14 AM
Chello!

Originally posted by Alis_Morningstar
Let's not forget there are other baddies out there other than the Empire. The Guilds had strangle holds on the businesses they "represented" and amounted to little more than mobsters collecting protection money.

That sparks a thought...what about a CorSec Exec who has a conscience? Sort of an "Oscar Schindler" type of character who starts to have moral qualms about supporting the Nwew Order, etc.

Tony

wolverine
1 December 2006, 09:53 PM
CorSec as in corporate sector, or CorSec as in corellian security?

Darth Iurus
1 December 2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Lord Kjeran
Chello!

That sparks a thought...what about a CorSec Exec who has a conscience? Sort of an "Oscar Schindler" type of character who starts to have moral qualms about supporting the Nwew Order, etc.

Tony

Isn't that what happened to Master Horn before he became a Rogue?

Stratos
2 December 2006, 05:30 AM
CorSec as in corporate sector, or CorSec as in corellian security?

CorSec = Corellian Security

Lord Kjeran
5 December 2006, 05:04 AM
Chello!

Actually, I was thinking Corporate Sector Authority. But pointing out Horn was useful. ! :)

wolverine
5 December 2006, 10:06 PM
That's what i was thinking at first, as i cannot really see it working with corellian security.. with the moral thing, and going 'oscar schlindler'. I can see that more with a corp sector authority person, or better yet, an imp scientist.

gmjabreson
6 December 2006, 05:47 AM
What do Imperial Scientists and Arkanians have in common?

A lack of Morals