PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Intelligence agencies in the Rebellion Era

TheCegorach
25 November 2006, 05:16 PM
First, my question is intended for SW Galaxies, not really a bastion of RP, but some of us do what we can.

Bearing that in mind, one of the Imperial pilot squads in that game is the Imperial Inquisition. Does this have any basis in other RPG material or EU sources?

I kind of like the idea, but from what I see, there's no such critter as non-Force Sensitive Inquisitors in SW. I see the ISB, which seems like military police, and Imp. Intelligence, which seems more like general spies and thought police, and which include the Inquisitors who are Force-Sensitives in the Emperor's service.

Is this about right?

If I'd rather my char were an Imp agent assigned to monitor the loyalty of an Imp-aligned mercenary force, is the ISB or Imp. Intelligence more appropriate?

boccelounge
25 November 2006, 07:59 PM
Well, I never much liked the proliferation of Force users in the EU-ville, and I love the idea of the ISB as "secret police."

But the inquisitors have indeed been part of the lore for a while now. Check out Wookieepedia:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Inquisitor

TheCegorach
25 November 2006, 10:14 PM
I read the Wookiepedia article, and the Wikipedia articles as well. They have the Inquisitors as being Force Sensitives who hunt other Force Sensitives, to convert or kill as the case may be, which makes perfect sense, but my char isn't Force Sensitive.

Star Wars Galaxies does a generally poor job of stickin to anything close to canon; in the example I'm interested in, there's a separate (?) Imperial Inquisition that's just a pilot squadron.

You do end up working for some of the people named in the Wookiepedia article, leading me to believe that this Inqusition pilot squadron could be viewed simply as assets attached to the Inquisitorius, in which case they'd be under the authority of Imperial Intelligence and thus COMPNOR, but the Wookiepedia article leads one to believe that the Inquistorius is solely composed of, and solely concerned with, Force Sensitives, which the pilot squadron isn't (in either case).

The other angle to consider is that the merc group I've infiltrated is composed of ex-Imperial soldiers--mostly Army, but one or two Navy--and checking up on the military seems pretty clearly the scope of the ISB. But they're ex-military, not active service, so does that put the ball back into the court of Imperial Intelligence?

Like I said, Galaxies isn't exactly a stronghold of adherence to canonical info, but I want to be as close as I can. So I'm trying to clarify the exact relationship and responsibilites of Imperial Intelligence and the ISB, so that my story makes sense (as much as possible within the SWG framework).

gmjabreson
26 November 2006, 04:55 AM
If one finds himself a copy of WEG's book Imperial Sourcebook there is a whole chapter in it dealing with intelligence and its various branches and their function within the Empire and Intelligence community.

Lokar
26 November 2006, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by TheCegorach

I kind of like the idea, but from what I see, there's no such critter as non-Force Sensitive Inquisitors in SW. I see the ISB, which seems like military police, and Imp. Intelligence, which seems more like general spies and thought police, and which include the Inquisitors who are Force-Sensitives in the Emperor's service.

Is this about right?

If I'd rather my char were an Imp agent assigned to monitor the loyalty of an Imp-aligned mercenary force, is the ISB or Imp. Intelligence more appropriate?

The idea that the Inquistors became yet another Dark Side cabal in Palpatines attempt to create a Second (or Third) Sith Empire comes form the minds of WotC and/or post EpI EU authors. When WEG first created the Inquisitors they were just an elite branch of Imperial Intel who had the ability to travel anywhere in the galaxy and had small personal forces either assigned and acquired. Hunting down Jedi was one the Inquistion but they had other duties as well.

"Loyalty patrol" was the ISB area.

TheCegorach
26 November 2006, 12:31 PM
Wish I had the d6 Imperial Sourcebook, but I don't.

From what I can tell from online sources, there's considerable overlap and rivalry between Imperial Intel and ISB, anyhow, so in the end, I could probably get away with either choice.

The more I read about either, the more Byzantine the entire apparatus appears, which is good for me in so far as I have a fair amount of leeway to do what I want, it would appear.

Probably stick with ISB, though, even if they're ex-military. A good portion of the former group gave up the game and left; my story will be that I'm there to investigate the mass disappearance--is it foul play? Defection to the Rebellion? Tragic space accident? Some other insidious plot?

Thanks for the input.

gmjabreson
26 November 2006, 03:54 PM
yeah its a hard commodity to acquire, but good news does come around every once in a while.

Djas Puhr just submitted to the Marching Orders book an entire rehash on Imperial Intelligence that he's worked on for months. Once I get everything together and learn something about putting pdf files together, the book should be just about finished then.