PDA

View Full Version : Starwars-rpg.net - Now a Memory

Nealos
18 December 2006, 05:34 PM
Starwars-rpg.net is no longer a domain owned by me. By means of a miscommunication between myself and Network Solutions, the domain name fell out of registration and I was unable to re-obtain it in time.

Sad? Yes. Needed to happen? Probably. I could never seem to manage to bring it around, which was weird to me because I love the site and always wanted to keep it going. Maybe it just needed to happen?

Anyway, my new SW email is swrpgnealos@gmail.com - if you had a site on there and you need access to files, let me know.

Otherwise, I'm going to lick my wounds and maybe start another site soon for my own Supplement Resource Site.

Sorry everyone!

IzVenjari
18 December 2006, 05:44 PM
Sorry to hear that man - these things can just suddenly happen can't they?

Well - as you said, maybe it is for the best - and i'm sure whatever you will start next will be just as valuable a resource to the online SW community.

BRodgers
19 December 2006, 05:07 AM
That's really sad to hear Nealos.

The 'Net was around when I first started coming online to check out SWRPG websites and was one of the sites that inspired me to want to create my own. At the time there were quite a lot of great people running great sites with a lot of originality and flavor.

You did a great job for a long time. It's sad to see the site go, and the community will never be the same, but you've given a lot over the years and I think I speak for everyone when I say "Thank You" for your dedication and all that you've done for all of us.

Good luck in the future man, in all that you do.

:)

Nealos
19 December 2006, 08:39 AM
I appreciate the sentiments. I should point out that my goal for the site was fulfilled a long time ago - to see a great community for SWRPG online, and to help inspire people to contribute and share who otherwise may have felt they had no way to do so, or that their stuff might not be "good enough." The greatest evidence of that goal realized is SWRPGNetwork itself, a site born out of the belief that the community mattered enough to try harder, or in a different way, after Starwars-rpg.net started to stumble. I actually have a sense of relief that Starwars-rpg.net has passed. My only regret is that the domain didn't go to someone in the community (which was my ultimate intention, to pass it on to someone else).

No biggie. Lets enjoy SWRPGNetwork and the other great sites that are out there. Someday soon I'm sure I'll pop up with my own site of personal contributions to add to the fray.

MTFBWY

Kanth D'Bari
19 December 2006, 03:40 PM
Sorry to hear that man, but good attitude... I applaud you sir :)

One thing, whatever happened to all those campaigns that hosted their websites there? I stumble across dead links all the time.

ElfWord
26 December 2006, 04:56 PM
But wait, who owns it now?

BRodgers
26 December 2006, 05:58 PM
It's more machine now than man; twisted and evil...

;)

Jan Tolbara
27 December 2006, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by ElfWord
But wait, who owns it now?

I believe it's these guys:

International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction verzekeringen

At least, that's what displays at the top of the page now.

BRodgers
27 December 2006, 05:30 AM
Ok, I'll go ahead and ask the question that needs to be asked:

Since Starwars-Rpg.Net is no longer hosting the Journal, community sites or really any RPG material, and is effectively now nothing more than an ad site, will this forum be archived? Or will it remain here?

I would like to motion that the Toris forum remain with a link to the new addy, as well as any other sites that manage to resurrect themselves. I guess it would also make sense to move them to the community forums area, but thats not up to me.

ElfWord
27 December 2006, 08:14 AM
Nealos, do you have backups of the content your site hosted? I have my A&EG Supplement series, but what about all the issues of the online journal? And the other fan-made sourcebooks that were hosted there?

If you'd like to have them still available for download, I can upload them to my own hosting, we can put up some links in a thread here in this forum, and get a mod to sticky it up.

Or you could try the SWRPGNetwork Submissions section, of course, but I know there have been issues of it taking a long time in the past, not sure if the site admins ever got that cleared up or not.

Deano
27 December 2006, 03:45 PM
Well this all extremely sad news indeed. It will be missed, but it's never been the same since we lost the server all those years ago... :(

I want to step up to the plate and take on starwars-rpg.net now that I have my own domain and hosting. If I have the support of the community I'll do it.

Deano

BRodgers
27 December 2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Deano
If I have the support of the community I'll do it.

Deano

You know I'll always have your back mate.

Kanth D'Bari
27 December 2006, 06:10 PM
I would love to see this material resurface, so I will through what support I have behind you sir :)

Darklighter
29 December 2006, 02:39 PM
Sounds good to me, Deano. I discovered the online SWRPG community through Starwars-rpg.net. I'm sorry to see it go. Thanks for your work, Nealos. :)