PDA

View Full Version : Bases: round, or square?

ij thompson
25 December 2006, 03:15 PM
So,

As has recently been revealed, all of the miniatures in the upcoming Alliance and Empire set are going to come on square bases, with the Star Wars logo emblazoned across the front of them, so as to "highlight the longevity of the Star Wars saga" (this per the Wizards of the Coast marketing department). Here's a recently released photograph:

http://boards1.wizards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4426&stc=1&d=1167063494

It has not yet been revealed if all the minis after AaE will share these same square bases, which of course don't match the bases on all of the minis in the six sets released thus far. There's been much debate on the Wizards boards, but I thought a poll was in order. Do you:

[list=1]
Want to see all future minis come on the new, square bases?
Not care about the base either way?
Prefer future releases stick with the round bases, to match what's been released thus far?
[/list=1]

Minis players! RPGers! Collectors! Please make your opinion known, and let's see how the community really feels about this!

Sithspawn
26 December 2006, 03:14 AM
Don't mind either way. I'm more interested in quality minis with balanced abilities.

Cerberus
26 December 2006, 09:23 AM
A crazy decision by WOTC. Its round bases for me.

PsychoInfiltrator
26 December 2006, 11:41 AM
Round bases, please! That way, they can face wherever they want...

(Just for the record, I do not like the mini on top of the square base either.)

Donovan Morningfire
28 December 2006, 08:20 AM
I'd much prefer they stick with the round bases just to keep continuity with the previously released sets.

Though I can understand the "facing" justification for square bases, especially from an RPG standpoint.

Starcloud
28 December 2006, 03:58 PM
Except there is no such thing as "facing" in Star Wars d20.

Personally, I would prefer the round bases for consistency, and because not everyone uses two meter squares. Some people use two meter hexes, some people do away with hexes and squares altogether.

It's going to be annoying.

gmjabreson
2 January 2007, 08:50 AM
I agree, why can't they just stick with what works? Why do they always have to change something when it don't need it? Someone needs to remind WotC that you "Don't fix it if its not broken."

Stratos
2 January 2007, 09:06 AM
I just read earlier today on one of the many yahoogroups I'm a member of that the price will be hiked to $14.99/booster as well as the base change. Yay!

gmjabreson
2 January 2007, 09:09 AM
better be more minis in there for the raised price again, or forget it. Of course going price for the available series now are 5 dollars more than that now.

Stratos
2 January 2007, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by gmjabreson
better be more minis in there for the raised price again, or forget it. Of course going price for the available series now are 5 dollars more than that now.

Because they're "huge". The new set won't be huge so the price hike has to be a complimentary kick in the face for the anniversary! Yay!