PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Construction Projects

PadawanJohn
10 January 2007, 07:07 AM
Howdy, ya'll.

I need a bit of help with the campaign I'm currently mapping out. I need to know if there were any large Imperial construction projects (superweapons or the like) underway at or around the same time as the Death Star I.

Y'see, I need something big and important for my players to blow up around the same time period, without crossing over into film territory.

Thanks, folks.

nyar. :hansolo:

Grimace
10 January 2007, 07:46 AM
Are you looking for things that were mentioned in books and comics, or something that people can just think up?

I'd personally suggest going with something made up, that way you don't have to worry about having to stick to a storyline that's already been done.

PadawanJohn
10 January 2007, 08:05 AM
That's not a bad idea, just making something up. I suppose that since our rules lawyer/continuity nut moved away and, because of that, doesn't play with us anymore, I could get away with it.

Okay, then, are there any suggestions?

I suppose, if all else fails, I could have them try to locate the Arc Hammer, since none of the current players have played through Dark Forces. But I do agree that something original is in order here.

kaeroth
10 January 2007, 08:31 AM
In the game I'm running, the Imps are working on a large-scale project that could fit into any time in the Imperial era. They're building a series of satellites and other techno-doowhackies to place into a nebula that would, effectively, turn it into a giant transmitter/receiver. The Imperials intend to use it to intercept and decode nearly all comm traffic in the galaxy, thus rendering the Rebel effort futile (as they wouldn't be able to hide). The heroes will need to first become aware of this plot, and then foil it.
The playing wouldn't involve a massive, focused attack on one enormous space station, but rather some smaller sorties. It would be important for the heroes to discover the project late in the day to heighten suspense.
In my game this project is all a ruse, however, designed to lure rebel groups in bits and pieces into the nebula where, using Interdictors and such, they are trapped and attacked. But it doesn't have to be that in your campaign.

PadawanJohn
10 January 2007, 08:55 AM
That could work.

I ran a one-on-one campaign with a new player, where he was a member of a pirate crew captured by the Empire and being held in the same detention block as a handful of others, including a "Senatorial aide" who turned out to actually be a Rebel agent.

They stole a small stock freighter and made for Dantooine, since that's where the Rebellion is currently based, and putting this game at at least a few months before Episode IV. It could work out that the Rebel agent has information regarding this galaxy-wide "wiretap" and the heroes are asked to help the Rebellion eliminate it.

Yeah, that could work. I'll run with it.

I'm still open to other options, though. So far, I do like this one. I could always tie something else in . . . .

Sarge
10 January 2007, 09:58 AM
I like kaeroth's idea a lot. That's the one I'd go with.

But something else that you could use would be the Maw Installation from KJA's trilogy. I have to give his books a big thumbs down, but he did have a few ideas I liked, and the big R&D station hidden in a cluster of black holes is one of them.

Of course, blowing up the Maw Installation would violate EU canon, but I suspect that's OK with you. Personally, I always bent over backwards to keep to the movie canon, but it was open season on everything else. Ignore it, move it, change it, swear to die before you'll ever acknowledge it, whatever makes a better game.

wolverine
10 January 2007, 10:01 PM
What about the eclipse and soverigns... both were out and about around the emperor's rebirth, but i don't think they were built that quickly, perhaps you could stumble into a pretest of them..

gmjabreson
11 January 2007, 04:35 AM
I've got a few stashed away here, couple of asteroid bases where the Empire takes battlefield debris from space and ground battles and recycles it into new war machines.

Eclipse and Sovereigns indeed did take time to build, so its possible you could run into the beginnings of their construction with a trip to the KDY yards, but it'd be a fun trip trying to get back out.....

There's always the Eye of Palpatine too.

Just some ideas...

PadawanJohn
11 January 2007, 04:38 AM
Here's what I'm going to do:

I'm going to take kaeroth's idea, but add in a sighting of the Eclipse prototype. One of my players was joking around about how he wanted to try to steal it and start a pirate armada, so I'm going to jerk his chain early on.

I checked Wookieepedia, and construction of Eclipse began construction early in the Galactic Civil War, around 0 ABY. It fits perfectly.

There's going to be a few other "side trips," to deal with random story elements that creep in, but that's my overall story idea. My players will start out running what amounts to a preemptive strike against Imperial Intelligence, and stumble on a new class of Star Destroyer that has to be set back or the Alliance will be finished.

Oh, I do believe that this will be a fun campaign . . . .

Sarge
11 January 2007, 06:08 PM
PadawanJohn, nobody's ever taken anything I ever wrote as their quote before. I'm touched. Sniff. :o

What are you all lookin' at?! :mad: Drop and gimme twenty, maggots!

Tem_Starrunner
11 January 2007, 06:08 PM
The other options are Imperial sensor enhancement projects, new Star Destroyers, viral research, genetic research (the reborn Emperor did this on Byss), cloaking tech, etc. The skies the limit.

PadawanJohn
12 January 2007, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by Sarge
PadawanJohn, nobody's ever taken anything I ever wrote as their quote before. I'm touched. Sniff. :o
Yeah, well, you pretty much summed up my take on continuity, as well. The movies are "sacred" - except under very special circumstances - but everything else is at the GM's discretion.

Oh, and Tem_Starrunner, I'm probably going to bring in some of the things that you mentioned, as well. Maybe they'll all be subdirectories on some Moff's datapad under the main directory "Research and Development" or something.

And asteroid bases are always fun. I'll try to use one of those, if I can, as well.

Thanks, everyone!