PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars PocketModel TCG

Stratos
8 February 2007, 04:56 AM
http://www.wizkidsgames.com/wk_article.asp?cid=41243&frame=company <-- click for pix

WIZKIDS ANNOUNCES STAR WARS POCKETMODEL TRADING CARD GAME

February 07, 2007 (SEATTLE) WizKids Inc., a subsidiary of Topps and the creator of runaway hit games such as HeroClix« and Pirates of the Spanish Main, announced today that it will release a new collectable game called the Star Wars PocketModel trading card game (TCG). The agreement is an expansion of Topps' current licensing agreement with Lucas Licensing.

"The Topps Company and Lucas Licensing have enjoyed a successful 30-year licensing partnership and are proud to extend our license to include trading card games," said Ira Friedman, Topps vice president of Publishing and Licensing.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

WIZKIDS ANNOUNCES STAR WARS POCKETMODEL TRADING CARD GAME
February 07, 2007 (SEATTLE) WizKids Inc., a subsidiary of Topps and the creator of runaway hit games such as HeroClix« and Pirates of the Spanish Main, announced today that it will release a new collectable game called the Star Wars PocketModel trading card game (TCG). The agreement is an expansion of Topps' current licensing agreement with Lucas Licensing.

"The Topps Company and Lucas Licensing have enjoyed a successful 30-year licensing partnership and are proud to extend our license to include trading card games," said Ira Friedman, Topps vice president of Publishing and Licensing.

The Star Wars PocketModel TCG combines the best features of classic TCGs with those of constructible strategy games (CSGs), a category that WizKids« pioneered for kids. This TCG innovation allows players to use characters and action scenes from the movies on their cards to help control their fleets of PocketModel ships as they attempt to destroy each other╣s objectives. This exciting, easy-to-learn game derives its content from all six Star Wars movies, making it possible for fans of all generations to enjoy battling for control of the galaxy!

"Topps trading cards were the very first Star Wars_licensed products," said Howard Roffman, president of Lucas Licensing. "We are pleased to expand our longstanding relationship with Topps to include both WizKids and trading card game products. We are excited for Star Wars fans because there has never been a product quite like this before."

Following in the tradition of WizKids' successful Pirates CSG, no Starter is required for game play. Each Game Pack (SRP $4.99) contains four to eight styrene constructible vehicle models, six game cards, two micro dice, assembly instructions and complete rules.

"It is a privilege to be given the opportunity to create trading card games for a property with the history and popularity of Star Wars. Our first directive has been to develop a truly innovative card game that young Star Wars fans can enjoy," said Lax Chandra, WizKids president. "The excitement generated by kids during our testing of the PocketModel TCG has exceeded our expectations on all accounts."

The Star Wars PocketModel TCG is expected to be released at retail in June 2007, with a preview and samples available at Star Wars Celebration IV, May 24_28 at the Los Angeles Convention Center.

Sithspawn
8 February 2007, 06:58 AM
I had a browse on the Wizkids page yesterday and saw this.

Interesting. Probably pick up a few packs through curiosity but doubt it'll be a game I'll collect as obsessively as I do SWM.

Stratos
8 February 2007, 07:02 AM
I'm just excited because it's NOT WoTC. I don't have much against WoTC - but it's good for the industry to have actual competition (IMO).

Elvenshae
8 February 2007, 08:00 AM
I'm hoping they come up with some good rules for those cards shown behind the models - Galactic Senate, Admiral Ackbar, and Darth Vader. I hope they work similar to what I thought the SSB Command Cards were going to be.

I also hope they come with terrain, similar to Pirates's islands. Little 3-D asteroids would be great!

Sithspawn
8 February 2007, 10:21 AM
Or Space Stations B)

Ris
10 February 2007, 05:17 PM
Pirates is a great little game. My family loves it. I think WizKids will do a very good job with Star Wars. Can't wait to play it.

Jaggard
11 February 2007, 06:50 PM
guys take a look around for wizkids rocket men games. It's a cross between the Flash gordon and Buzz light year setting done with an upgraded pirates game style (for space).

There are asteroids, space stations and three classes of ships (four now with the second season); the fighters come two to three per card and move as a formation. they punch out and assamble. and the player gets to decide how many weapons vs sheild pods to outfit the ship with. The new season is supposed to include a torpedo too.

With some mods I've been thinking of, the game could easily be turned toward an in person multiplayer of Escape Velicity: Nova. Perhaps one of the best games out there.

I'm very exited by this developement though as it adds more ship styles (we are talking about styrene punch outs and assembly) to use in custom games and settings and more possabilities for 'uglies'.

Also of note is something called Z-cards that has punch out styrene models (including but not limmited to four packs of space ships, aliens and x-treme machines, aswell as aircraft). The Z-cards are supposed to have come out with a game to play that can beused with any of its sets from Dinos to fighter jets and tanks to jungle cats.

The possabilities of customization of both 'minis' and game machanics has me drooling