PDA

View Full Version : Playing Dark Forces

cheshire
23 February 2007, 06:24 AM
I was thinking about looking into some classic EU material, by playing Dark Forces. I've played Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight and all of the other Jedi Knight games, but I've never played the original.

My questions are 1) is it worth it for the perspective, and 2) is there a chance I can get this thing to run with XP home?

Thanks for the input.

Jedi_Shadow
23 February 2007, 11:57 AM
I ran it just recently with XP. It should run just fine.

You should be in for a real vintage treat, cheshire! As far as value for perspective, or reference material, I think a lot of it depends on what you plan on using the reference for.

For example, I planned on a scene/encounter in my last adventure to take place in the cargo area of a ship the same model as Jabba the Hutt's Luxury Yacht, so I ended up going through that entire level and mapping out the whole thing. It turned out to be overkill, as the area I wanted to be in was only at the end of a very long level, and the characters ended up not even boarding the ship! :rolleyes:

cheshire
23 February 2007, 01:56 PM
From what I've heard the game has some wonderful depictions of Nar Shadda, the best in any game so far. I'm thinking my players may wind up there in (or someplace similar) in the very near future.

I would up finding a dirt cheap copy on eBay for the PS1 (which I just so happen to have one collecting dust). There shouldn't be any compatability problems there. :)

Jedi_Master_Yelrahc
27 February 2007, 07:23 PM
Dark Forces was and still is a good game to play if you like playing older games. Plus it gave me information on providing campaigns dealing with the Dark Trooper Project. I used that to create a situation for the players who encountered a few Dark Troopers. The Empire used the players who were wanted dead by them as test subjects for the Dark Troopers efficiency with dealing threats such as them. And the Dark Troopers succeeded which ended my campaign that I ran. For an added bonus Dark Troopers can come in handy if you reallly want to challenge the players in a campaign.