PDA

View Full Version : Storing miniatures

Admiral Zaarin
14 March 2007, 12:38 PM
I use miniatures for roleplaying/collecting, and I currently have nothing to store them in. I live in a rather dusty house. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to store them in? Thanks.

PneumaZ
14 March 2007, 12:42 PM
I actually use fishing tackle gear to store my minis. the more common pieces go in these medium sized cases (they are about the size of a hardback book) and i can fit 50-60 in each. MY rares and larger set I keep in a tackle box and plastic cabniet. The cases run like2-3 bucks a pop and the tackle box ran me 19. the plastic cabniet for the huge minis went like 25...

Elvenshae
14 March 2007, 01:06 PM
Tackle boxes are a really popular solution (see above).

I use things kind of like these (http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesSearch?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&categoryId=10324&cmArea=SEARCH&searchClassId=10324&keyword=plastic+storage+totes&actualKeyword=plastic+storage&searchSkuCount=16&compChartFlag=true&searchUnsumUrl=searchresults&searchSumUrl=searchresultssummary&errorUrl=searchnoresults&fromUrl=searchresultssummary&cmArea=SEARCH&currentpagenumber=2&showAll=Y).

Each faction has its own box.

Stratos
14 March 2007, 02:11 PM
I used to take the time and care to sort the VR/R from the UC/C but this past Summer I decided to do away with that hassle. I then bought a large Rubbermaid-type containter I call the Jawa Coffin. Inside I can fit 9 smaller shoebox -size Sterilite containers. I just divide the smaller containers into factions (two for Fringe, another for Huge, and currently OR, Sith, NJO, and YV all fit into one). It's convenient and everything is collected together. The particular larger container also has a top compartment for rules, maps, Ultimate books, etc.

Moridin
14 March 2007, 02:18 PM
I also use Tackle Boxes, preferably those that are simple and don't have the movable "trays."

boccelounge
14 March 2007, 04:01 PM
Some years ago I paid a fair amount for a proper "minis case," and I really dislike it. It has multiple layers of that bumpy soft foam, and the figures are supposed to sit between them. It keeps them well-protected when it's closed, but it's difficult to get it open without dumping everything.

For the price, I have to agree that a cheap tackle box is the way to go.

I also recommend 35mm plastic film canisters for transporting individual figures. When I'm a Player, and have only one or two minis to bring with me, it's easy to throw a canister into my dice bag-- protects the paint job and keeps me from lugging the whole case around.

... and does anyone want to buy a minis case? :( ;)

Stratos
14 March 2007, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by boccelounge
... and does anyone want to buy a minis case? :( ;)

What brand and price? PM me. :)

Sithspawn
15 March 2007, 04:27 AM
I keep mine in multi-compartment toolboxes I bought from a DIY store here in the UK called Wickes.

So far I have two large boxes for C/UC and two smaller boxes for the R/VR and a few I want seperated (Ewoks, Ugnaughts, Gran...)

As for the Huge.. grrr..! I have a few in the toolboxes but the rest stored in a seperate toolbox which I don't carry around with me (and some dotted around the house on display). So if I plan on playing Huge I need to plan ahead.

Admiral Zaarin
15 March 2007, 02:12 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll look into getting a tackle box or compartmentalized tool box, then. :D

FULONGAMER
15 March 2007, 02:28 PM
I use a combination of several techniques.

We currently use at least 30 Chessex Minis cases (mostly for the lead and pewter) in various configurations for small and medium figures. Additional Pistol and rifle cases for particular factions, as well as 2 jewelry/ring display cases, and 2 tackleboxes for some accessories and terrain. While I do have (so far) 7 of the deep-well Chessex boxes segregating the WotC minis for SW and D&D, they are not really cost effective, and I'm leaning more towards craft organizers. They are transparent, stackable, variable in compartment configuration, and most importantly, cheap. However, the vast population of metal minis I have (for all genres) will remain safe and protected in the Chessex boxes.

Our gaming is mostly static (and mostly RPG, though flush with minis), so the Game room is more dedicated to accessibility than storage, with all the Huge, Collossal and most of the larger figures on open display on shelving. (along with about 2 dozen assortments of Dwarven Forge master Maze and SciFi terrain)

When I do travel out for gaming, I trim down to the required terrain pieces in an extra Amazon box, a case or two of needed Minis in either the Chessex boxes or the Pistol Cases.