PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars PocketModel TCG - Official Thread

Stratos
18 April 2007, 08:48 AM
Some good updates over at InQuest Gamer online...

Star Wars ain’t dead yet. Despite Anakin Skywalker’s best efforts, the Force is still strong in Lucas’ license. There’s two new TV shows in the pipe, along with the requisite, never-ending line of video games. You haven’t even seen your last Star Wars TCG, either. WizKids has that license, and they’re doing something with it no other company ever dreamed of, melding their mastery of minis games to a collectible card game core...

Read it all here - InQuest Gamer #145 (http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/inquest/004137940.cfm)

Stratos
18 April 2007, 08:55 AM
And just incase you missed it, here's the Official Press Release (http://www.wizkidsgames.com/wk_article.asp?cid=41243&frame=company)

In all honesty, as I've stated before, I'm not one for starship combat games although I see their huge significance to the Star Wars franchise. That said, I probably will only pick up a few packs to try out the basic game but at this point I have to plans to collect or regularly play this new SW minis game.

Santa Claws
19 April 2007, 12:25 PM
Hopefully it may be a better game as the previous Starbattle-rocketeer game from WizKids.

Stratos
17 May 2007, 02:18 PM
The rules are now available online!

https://secure.wizkidsgames.com/StarWars/

farquestor
10 June 2007, 07:04 PM
Having played the game now, I can say that while I personally don't feel it captures the essence of the dogfights you see in the movies, its is a very well-designed game and quick and fun to play. Constructed will really shine, but Draft and Sealed stand the chance of being over too quickly.

Just my thoughts after having routed a Rebel assault squadron...

Sithspawn
16 June 2007, 05:17 AM
Well I bought 4 packs to get an opinion on the game. While the rules look interesting 3 packs contained identical ships! :(

farquestor
16 June 2007, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Sithspawn
Well I bought 4 packs to get an opinion on the game. While the rules look interesting 3 packs contained identical ships! :(

Not overly a bad thing, as by design you can have up to 3 of each ship in a 30-build star game. Less hunting for you provided they are good ships.

Mr. Vader
7 July 2007, 10:02 PM
Yea I recently purchased a case of these and out of the 24 packs, I only got 4 different rares and doubles of 3 of them. However...THIS GAME IS TOTALLY AWESOME!!!! 2 friends and I had our first session last night and we played until 3 am. The games were all very competitive and the mechanics (while leaving no room for expansion :( ) are very well designed. The game manages to be a lot of fun yet retain the simplicity and pacing that would make any star wars junkie with ADD foaming out of the mouth for "just one more battle!!!" Id love to hear what you guys all think about this game.

Ris
24 July 2007, 05:45 PM
My local Walmart has a wonderful-looking Imperial pack. An ISD--already put together, plus 7 other ships & 30 cards according to the box. It sells for just under US$15.
I'll be picking some up as soon as the budget improves.

Stratos
11 September 2007, 10:18 AM
Anyone looking forward to the Ground Assault expansion coming soon? Did anyone play the demo of it at Gencon or other Summer cons? Give us the scoop!

Sithspawn
12 October 2007, 01:22 AM
Is there a release date for the Ground Assault set?

I use WOTC Starship Battles minis for space combat but my RPG could do with more Ground Vehicles and I think this would be better than using the handful of vehicles currently available to the minis game.

Stratos
21 October 2007, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Sithspawn
Is there a release date for the Ground Assault set?

I use WOTC Starship Battles minis for space combat but my RPG could do with more Ground Vehicles and I think this would be better than using the handful of vehicles currently available to the minis game.

November 13 or 16 is the new expected release date for Ground Assault. Incidently, due to lack of interest, my FLGS has canceled it's order and will not be carrying Ground Assault except special orders. No one plays the first set, no one hase expressed interest in the new set, and with the 2 month hiatus any steam has evaporated.

Stratos
24 January 2008, 04:29 AM
Order 66 should be out soon... anyone buying or playing?