PDA

View Full Version : Miniatures in Your Games

king_watto
13 May 2007, 01:03 AM
Hey guys. Just want to know via a poll how you GM's find miniatures enhance your games. Do they help you during combat scenes on maps? Showing what the NPC characters are doing. This is also a poll for players. Do you find that miniatures help you communicate to your GM what your PC is doing during a table top game?

Just curious.. :)

Sithspawn
13 May 2007, 01:44 AM
I've been playing Star Wars RPG since '88 but only started using minis in the last 12 months. I don't know why I didn't beofre. It adds a whole new dimension to the game.

It's great. I've use visual aids in the past, maps, printouts of data pads, dropped models on the table to add to the Star Wars feeling. But minis do it better than anything else.

king_watto
13 May 2007, 02:51 AM
Yea, I thought it might. I mean, its one thing to use poker chips or erasers to represent your characters. But having the actual graphical representation helps. Even if it doesn't look like what you want, I imagine it still has that Star Wars feel to it, unlike an eraser. :)

wolverine
3 June 2007, 11:18 AM
Im most gaming i have done over the years, we have used minitures to some extent. Even if it was only to show the party marching order so the gm would know for those random encounters. The ONLY down side ihave seen to them, is it was hard at times for some players to stay true to teir characters skills (eg real low perception, or poor sight) when he (the player) could see everything on the board.

Fingon
3 June 2007, 12:07 PM
Yes... they're nice, but they cost too much, expecially when bolts or pennies can do the same thing.

Darth Jerrod
3 June 2007, 07:40 PM
I collect them. I also ran the RPG for a long time. I started using mini's long ago in DnD long before 3rd Edition but back in the old days before WotC.

Mini's help. I dont use them in some games. I dont always use them in Star Wars. A lightsaber Duel I run might not have a single mini used but it might it depends on how fast I want things done or that I want my thoughts on the location the mesh with the player and she does not get confused when I spring a trap and she says "Hey I was not standing there but here!" now I can say sorry but that is not what the mini says.

I have yet too use the new mini's in my game because... I have yet too run one since its release.

So when I did all I had was the old WotC mini's for players and such and I used whatever I had a lot of too count as stormies or vong. (I once used my Kroot mini's from WH40K as Vong!)

I think some people get hung up that THEY HAVE to use the mini of the figure it is supposed to represent or they cant do it at all.

I have players like that... Once you explain too them a penny can server the same purpose they fall into place and play the game. I wont say it wouldnt be nice too have 200 stormie mini's in play but some people just can not do that.