PDA

View Full Version : Playing minis without starter pack

Admiral Zaarin
27 May 2007, 07:01 AM
I want to try playing the miniatures game with a friend on Tuesday, but I don't have a starter set, as heretofore I only collect/use minis for roleplaying. I d/led the rulebooks from WotC, and I realize there are a lot of things I don't have. I do have a grid map; any advice/help you could give me?

PsychoInfiltrator
27 May 2007, 09:56 AM
All you really need is a map, minis, the rules, a D20 [or 2, preferably] and some method to record damage and Force use. So, if you have a notebook and a pencil, you will be fine.

Rereading the rules, of course, is always a good thing.

Admiral Zaarin
27 May 2007, 05:08 PM
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks. :) As for d20s, I have four. And as for the map, I have a 36x20 grid map. :D

Sithspawn
28 May 2007, 12:00 PM
If you can't get a starter you could always try to get the Attack on Endor box set, that comes with four maps.

Admiral Zaarin
28 May 2007, 06:37 PM
As I said, the map won't be a problem. I was just thinking of the little counter things.

Fingon
28 May 2007, 08:48 PM
Hey, I've never played, but is the grid map necessary? I have played some warhammer-esque games in the past; how similar is SW mini's?

Sithspawn
29 May 2007, 05:01 AM
SWM counts distances in squares. But I guess it's easy enough to transfer into inches.

As for the counters, I've never used the counters that come in the starter. I use %D10's to record damage, and D6 to track Force Points. I made my own door control markers for use with Override & Satchel Charge - http://www.ugavine.com/SW_MiniWeb/misc.htm

cheshire
29 May 2007, 06:18 AM
Right. I've always found it easier to keep track of damage and Force abilities with different dice. I never cared for the cardboard markers that WotC made.