PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else excited about starship battles?

Moridin
16 May 2006, 09:50 AM
I don't know how many of you saw it, but I posted the WotC catalogue blurb about the new starships battles game coming out in November. Just wondering if anyone else is as excited about it as me! I've been using micro machines for years, but official miniatures would be supah schweet in my book.

I'm just hoping to see something cool like the sith starfighters (from KotOR) in there!

Ineti
16 May 2006, 10:23 AM
I'll check it out and probably pick up the starter set. I might buy a few boosters as well. I expect I'll use the minis more for my RPG games than for the actual minis game itself, but yeah, it'll be nice to have some good SW vehicle minis.

Elvenshae
16 May 2006, 11:49 AM
I have been looking forward to this for *years*.

In fact, when I first heard the announcment about SW minis, I thought the starships would be a shoe-in. I was surprised when it was character-based, instead.

But, anyway, yes, totally. Sign me up for a launch-day starter pack, and maybe a case of boosters, as well. :)

Xain Arke
16 May 2006, 04:24 PM
Just wondering if anyone else is as excited about it as me! I've been using micro machines for years, but official miniatures would be supah schweet in my book.

I don't play miniatures games and have really had no interest in them...until I read about the ships, now I'm gonna have to give the evil empire some of my credits :( ;)

It'll be worth it though just to have some SW starship minis available again for use in the RPG :)

roll on release date :D

Xain

Donovan Morningfire
17 May 2006, 02:47 AM
I've never been one for ship-based table-top games, regardless of genre, so I can't say that I'm really that excited. Given my druthers, I'd rather have new RPG supplements than yet another minis game.

That said, I'll probably pick up the starter, maybe a booster or two, and go from there. I was hesitant about the character-scale game at first (at first only bought it to have figs for my RPG sessions), so I'll reserve judgment until I actually see what's being offered.

delltechdude
17 May 2006, 12:40 PM
Call me goofy, but I can't wait for this!

I want X-wings out the ying yang for this, been wanting to run a starfighter battle for ages.

I want all the other ships too, but I'm an X-Wing man myself, maybe see a z95 headhunter as well.

For this I'm danged excited!

boccelounge
17 May 2006, 01:03 PM
Maybe I'm just a cheapskate... but I use a combination of custom-printed ship tiles on cardstock (for large-scale battles) or custom-built Legos (for smaller battles).

This way, I can always show players exactly what all the starships looks like (as opposed to saying "oh, this time, the X-Wing is actually a Skipray... "). Plus, Legos are fun. ;) And one my players has a six-year old that usually helps me out with this part of the set-up... we have a lot of common interests...

So... I dunno... I think I'll find more useful ways to spend my gaming credits... like grabbing new copies of the DSSB and PotJ books. :)

PneumaZ
17 May 2006, 02:01 PM
Thats true...but remember they are releasing 60 some odd ships in all sorts of various sizes. That can cover a good bit right off the bat. And of course they will start releasing expansions, and that can fill in the remainder ranks of ships you might need very quickly. But between gettin xwings, ties, naboo starfighters, droid ships, bombers, ywings, awings, star destroyers, medical frigates, command carriers, space yachts, 1000 falcons, and the like...i cant be too upset at the variety.

I love the minis...and i love the rpg...now i get to love me some starfighters and ships....sweeeeeet

delltechdude
17 May 2006, 03:23 PM
Been wanting to get my buds in on a xwing battle for a while as we are all big rogue fans. And we get plenty of ships for target practice to boot :D

I see some eyeballs going down!

PsychoInfiltrator
17 May 2006, 04:44 PM
Just wondering if anyone else is as excited about it as me!

That depends entirely on the rules system. If it's good, I'll buy into it, and somebody'll have a thread or nine talkign aobut using the Minis battle rules for the dreaded and maligned Space combat in the D20 SWRPG, and if not, I'll merely admire the artwokr and try to fiigure out/remember where that MonC don't think I've ever heard of came from. Not to mention, I'll wonder why they did not use a ship like the Home One for it, despite many possible reasons resounding in my head.

Marty-Wan
18 May 2006, 05:49 AM
Iím excited to a point Ö Iím happy to have Starships minis for the RPG (not that the old Micro Machines havenít been working just fine) but Iím worried about the scale. How can you have an X-wing mini (that Iím assuming will be about the size of the current mini figures) and a Star Destroyer? The scale will have to be way off, or the Star Destroyer will have to be about 13 feet long and I donít see that happening.

I will say this, Iím a little upset at Wizards launching another Star Wars game while not supporting the RPG and totally dropping the TCG. I think the TCG died too soon, it was a great game that I still play and along with my son we are currently creating our own custom cards for the game, but would much rather buy new ones from Wizards (oh and the same goes for the GIJoe TCG).

Ronin
18 May 2006, 06:44 AM
If I can find 'em over here, I'll probably pick some up...
I used to do lots of plastic modelling as a kid, so the idea of converting these ship minatures is really tempting...get a couple of B-Wings and make the Deathraven...make some Y-TIE uglies etc...

If 60-odd released ships isn't enough for you....you can always chop-shop some new ones!

Drendar Morevo
18 May 2006, 09:23 AM
SWEET MOTHER! THe Viscount and the Executor!

kaeroth
18 May 2006, 09:47 AM
How can you have an X-wing mini (that Iím assuming will be about the size of the current mini figures) and a Star Destroyer? The scale will have to be way off, or the Star Destroyer will have to be about 13 feet long and I donít see that happening.

That's the thing that got me, too, Marty-Wan. it says they're to scale with each other, not the character minis. But if they're putting out the frelling Executor...even if it can double as a coffee table, a snubfighter is going to be smaller than your fingernail! maybe the capships are to scale with each other, and the fighters are to scale with each other, and fighters can occupy the same gridspace as a capship?
I don't do the minis, more due to the lack of funds than anything else. I *may* bite the bullet and get these, though. I dunno about the starter set at first, though. maybe some expansion packs. Does WotC make available the basic rules as downloadable pdfs, or do i have to get the starter to get the rules?
An Executor coffee table would be pretty cool, though....

PneumaZ
18 May 2006, 10:47 AM
From what I understand the reps at WTOC have said that the scale will be "Relative". Im taking this to mean all Captial ships will be scale to each other and all snub fighter sizes will be relative to themselves. Transports etc... may be a nother class size, but the creators have said that they all work on the same page and there are rules for rectifying the various scales.

I have faith it'll work itself out.

As for not making more RPG material, GM Sarli has said more than once he is pushing the to make new product, in fact there might be some stuff in the very near future (he hinted at a mini/rpg book). Now that may not be enough for those who want a pure rpg book...but its a step.

Marty-Wan
19 May 2006, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by PneumaZ
As for not making more RPG material, GM Sarli has said more than once he is pushing the to make new product, in fact there might be some stuff in the very near future (he hinted at a mini/rpg book). Now that may not be enough for those who want a pure rpg book...but its a step.

I like the minis, in fact thatís what got me back into the RPG, and to be honest itís a great way to start to learn the game. I didnít go ape s#*t and spend a fortune on the minis like a friend of mine did Ö I refused to fall into that trap again (anyone looking for about 3 thousand TCG cards?). I think the two games work great together, in fact whenever I work up new adventures I covert the NPCs to mini stats and then create a few scenarios to play with my son or friends on the side. So a mini/RPG book sounds great to me Ö not that anyone asked.

Grimace
19 May 2006, 09:50 AM
Even with cap ships relative to each other, they're going to have size issues. Take Star Wars Ep 4, for example. Corellian Corvette being pulled into the Star Destroyer. Fairly substantial size difference.

If you make the Corellian Corvette only a half inch long (which is pretty dang small), you'd have a Star Destroyer be about 7 inches long. Then, in relation, the Executor would be...what (my math just went out the window)...5 feet long? 8o

I haven't invested any money in the figure minis, but I have looked at every one that's come out. Some of them are exceedingly well done, while others could have been better. I'll definitely be looking at the starships to see what comes out for them.

Elvenshae
19 May 2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Grimace
[B]Even with cap ships relative to each other, they're going to have size issues. Take Star Wars Ep 4, for example. Corellian Corvette being pulled into the Star Destroyer. Fairly substantial size difference.

That's why the current thought is that starfighters (on SWM medium bases) will be more or less in scale with each other, smaller cap ships (on SWM large bases) will be more or less in scale with each other, and larger cap ships (on SWM Huge / Gargantuan bases) will be more or less in scale with each other.

Warlock-Da
19 May 2006, 01:49 PM
I've heard from someone that's actually seen a couple of the ships,.....he said that they look great,....but the scaling is indeed very relative.

IIRC he only saw a couple and stated that the SSD wasn't alot bigger than the ISD,...which of course in common sense it couldn't be to scale... even if the SSD was Gargantuan scaled it wouldn't really be scaled to the ISD without resulting in the smaller, and more common, minis being tiny scaled clusters.

I am curious as to wether fighters will be single minis or be a "wing of fighters" per mini.

RPG wise I'm hoping for single .... but I can deal with Wings.

I'll be buying quite many of these without a doubt :) Already have several hundred character minis just for RPG use :D

Reel 2/Dialogue 2
21 May 2006, 12:41 PM
Scaled proximity is the key to this game. It works in Star Fleet Battles and Star Warriors (even if the Star Destroyer didn't need to be 8 hexes long). Just think of the ships as relative place markers instead of actual ships that should fit into other ships and all will be well... unless the rules aren't compatible to the RPG, then I'll go to KMart and buy a slew of torches in preparation of the inevitable riot.

Of course, if you're still a stickler about scale, you can always by an AMT model of a Star Destroyer.

Hooly
17 June 2006, 02:27 AM
Why don't they keep to the same size scales as the RPG. SD are 3 x 2 squares long, Mon Cal Cruisers are 2 x 2, etc. That way they get used both in the game and the RPG in precisely the way the character based minis do.

Just a thought!

justincroft
18 June 2006, 09:21 PM
Yeah but that would be too easy...

I'll i gotta say is im going to be gettin quite a few of these buggers.

Needles
19 June 2006, 08:47 AM
I'm pretty excited. I have no plans to play the miniature game, it's all for the RPG, just like the large box of SW minis I already have.

Elvenshae
20 June 2006, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Hooly
[B]Why don't they keep to the same size scales as the RPG. SD are 3 x 2 squares long, Mon Cal Cruisers are 2 x 2, etc. That way they get used both in the game and the RPG in precisely the way the character based minis do.

Probably because they've smartened up - like the 3.5 D&D designers did - and realized that non-square bases don't work very well when you're playing a square-gridded game.

Specifically, they make it impossible to fit on a square grid in anything other than a cardinal facing.

So, logically, they've gone to "square" bases - although, in truth, the bases are going to be round[ish].

Continuing that thought, there's no reason why, for instance, Home One, on a 1.5" radius circular base, must take up all of its base. It'll likely be long and skinny, with extra space on each side. Thus, it'll looks like a 2"x1" figure, but will play like a 3"x3" figure.

Sithspawn
21 June 2006, 11:34 AM
Just got to say that I am looking forward to the Starships game. May not be playing it as the stand alone game as my mate says he won't buy it, but still, great fro RPGs. B)

Ris
27 June 2006, 03:14 PM
My Hubby & I are looking forward to these. Both of us have been playing miniature war games for years -- he got me into it not long after we met. And of course we'll use them in the RPG too :)

Elvenshae
13 July 2006, 01:06 PM
Just thought I'd pass along the news: At least two sites are offering pre-orders on the Starship game:

Paizo: http://paizo.com/store/games/miniatures/tradableMiniaturesGames/starWars/starshipBattles

CoolStuff Inc: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_miniatures.php?viewType=Star%20Wars%20Starship%20Battles&info1=Miniatures&info2=Star%20Wars%20Starship%20Battles&info4=packs

kaeroth
13 July 2006, 01:11 PM
Wow. Coolstuff is noticably cheaper than Paizo. But...Pictures, man! I wanna see 'em! Are they cool? Are they big? Pictures!

Moridin
14 July 2006, 05:51 AM
For the price, I'd say at least some of the minis might be "huge" size. Just speculation, though.

Elvenshae
14 July 2006, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Moridin
For the price, I'd say at least some of the minis might be "huge" size. Just speculation, though.

Yeah - that's the rumor going 'round.

We "know," at least, that two of the minis in the starter box are on 4" x 4" circular bases.

Hooly
14 July 2006, 05:31 PM
CIRCULAR BASES!!!!! NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Elvenshae
17 July 2006, 07:09 PM
Why "Nooooo!"?

Given the fact that facing matters, and you're putting these things on a square grid, it's pretty much a given.

Darth Jerrod
19 July 2006, 12:15 AM
Anything I will be able to use for my game is a deffinate purchase.

Elvenshae
19 July 2006, 03:11 PM
Oooh! Oooh!

Box art is available on the Hasbro website, and has been reposted on The Holocron! :D :D :D

http://www.hasbro.com/default.cfm?page=browse&brand=495&viewall=yes (Scroll a bit down)

http://www.the-holocron.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=52&Itemid=1

Commander cards? YES! Hooray for PotSM-influenced game mechanics!

Darth Jerrod
19 July 2006, 06:17 PM
I am so going to get these.

Time to get a 2nd job

Moridin
20 July 2006, 06:35 AM
Wow, that box art is sexy.

Sithspawn
22 July 2006, 12:20 AM
OMG, I so want Starships! 8o

ij thompson
20 August 2006, 01:09 PM
Was there no word on these things from Gencon? I Kinda expected somethin'... :?

Darth Jerrod
20 August 2006, 03:23 PM
Just what Rodney posted on the main page.

Star Wars Miniatures
Starship Battles
Starter Set and Booster
The Star War Miniatures gaming experience reaches a whole new level!
Star Wars Starship Battles is a new collectible miniatures game based on the popular Star Wars Miniatures Game. Long anticipated by fans, Starship Battles presents authentic starship figures from across all eras of the Star Wars saga. This 40-figure set is made up exclusively of space vehicles of all sizes, from starfighters to capital ships, all represented in relative scale. The starter game also contains two exclusive, non-randomized figures not available anywhere else, the Super Star Destroyer Executor and the Mon Calamari Star Defender Viscount.
Drawn from the popular films, computer games, comics, and novels, the starships in this set are presented in relative scale to each other and not scale with other Star Wars Miniatures figures.
Starter Game Componants:
rulebook
game map
two exclusive, non-randomized figures
ten randomized figures
stat card for each figure
set checklist
Booster Componants:
seven randomized figures
stat card for each figure
set checklist
Nov. 21, 2006; Starter $39.99, Booster $19.99

The set has 58 randomized ships with the Executor and the Mon Cal ship only being available in the starter set.

They are in relative scale. So the Super Star Destroyer and the MonCal have a different scale than the rest of the Star Destroyers and large ships and the fighters are all a different size as well. Really you cant make this game "to" scale.

2 inch grid
No Cover
The ships have firing arcs
each stat card is double sided. One for just entering into battle the other side for battle damage

Not much else to say. It will "fit" into the new Saga Edition RPG.

November can not come soon enough. They said November 24th release date which is the day after Thanksgiving here in the states.

Elvenshae
22 August 2006, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by ij thompson
Was there no word on these things from Gencon? I Kinda expected somethin'... :?

Well, in the Minis / RPG session, they showed about a dozen pictures of ships which will be present in the game. You can see them on the video here:

http://www.gamingreport.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=NPNews&file=index&catid=19

It's almost at the bottom of the page; look for the Star Wars logo.

Reel 2/Dialogue 2
26 August 2006, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Darth Jerrod
November can not come soon enough. They said November 24th release date which is the day after Thanksgiving here in the states.

8o

THE CHRISTMAS SALE DAY????!!!! Ugh. So much for smooth traffic...

Maur
26 August 2006, 08:00 PM
Black Friday is the worst day for being out in the world. All the idiots get together and just jam the streets up with their own inattentive stupidity. For me, I don't care how good the deals are on those days, I refuse to stand in 5 hour lines just to save a few dollars on an item that I might not have bought anyways on a normal day.

Darth Jerrod
26 August 2006, 08:04 PM
Working at Best Buy for the past 3 years Black Friday technically lasts for our store from 5am till Noon when the sale ends. Then its like a busy saturday, everyone else is at home eating leftovers.

Ris
29 August 2006, 06:21 AM
I just looked these up at Amazon.com (which, iirc, gets this site a little money if you go through the links here).
The starter sets costs $26.37 & the boosters are $13.59(US dollars). And the mini's sets qualify for their free Super Saver shipping if you pick standard shipping for an order of at least $25, plus, in my experience, it usually takes less time than they estimate. So I will probably go this route.

Darth_Xanthor
29 August 2006, 06:45 AM
Oh god I so need this. As A gm i find that this the most agrivating part. My spacebattle consiist of you guys are the d20...you face off against 12 d6. Mwaahaaahaahaa....ok i know...lame.

Actually having x-wing and ties mini will be excellent.

< runs to store >

I have republican credits. :)

Republican credit no go here.

<< Republican credits will be find here >>

no they wont.

Aww man...not again. where a slave boy convieniently lost on a tantooine....they seem to always be here.

ij thompson
29 August 2006, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Darth Jerrod

2 inch grid
No Cover
The ships have firing arcs
each stat card is double sided. One for just entering into battle the other side for battle damage

2" grid, huh? Guess that means the fighters will be the equivalent of a 'Large' mini now. That's great for figure detail, but man... we're gonna need some big honkin' maps, or it'll be like dogfightin' in a goldfish bowl!

Elvenshae
30 August 2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by ij thompson

2" grid, huh? Guess that means the fighters will be the equivalent of a 'Large' mini now.

No, x-wings and TIEs are about 1" long - the same as current medium figs.

Stratos
22 September 2006, 06:54 AM
Nope - not interested. I like little men, women, aliens... not tiny ships!

Garan
19 October 2006, 11:35 AM
Nope - not interested. I like little men, women, aliens... not tiny ships!

Hmm... Alien Women *drools* :D

btw First Preview is up

Viscount is bigger then it should be by the NJO Books, but it has some nice firepower ;). The star dreadnaught thing is back as well, but at least the explaination reads like it was what they ment to call it but no one ever did so they just called it Executor-Class Super Star Destroyer. :D

http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/SBPreview1