PDA

View Full Version : Stormtrooper Dress Uniforms

Moebius
25 June 2007, 02:22 AM
Anyone know if there has ever been designs for stormtrooper dress uniforms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dress_uniform)? These would be the ceremonial uniform for awards and such. I wonder if any artists here would like to take a shot at designing one if it hasn't been tackled yet.

Ronin
25 June 2007, 03:53 AM
Interesting question!
I've seen pics of storm trooper officers in black uniforms before, so that's one possibility...

or there are the crimson jumpsuit-like uniforms we see clones wearing on Kamino...

or, you could always have it that their armour is all they ever wear. Remove it and you eliminate the faceless-pawn-of-the-Emperor idea...

coldskier0320
25 June 2007, 09:29 AM
or, you could always have it that their armour is all they ever wear. Remove it and you eliminate the faceless-pawn-of-the-Emperor idea...

That sounds most probable. After all, if they werent wearing them for Palpy's arrival in RotJ, when would they wear em?:raised:

Moebius
25 June 2007, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by coldskier0320

That sounds most probable. After all, if they werent wearing them for Palpy's arrival in RotJ, when would they wear em?:raised:

yeah, thats a good point. I suppose they're not getting many awards.

Ronin
25 June 2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Moebius

...I suppose they're not getting many awards.

Not for marksmanship anyway! ;) :D

Fingon
26 June 2007, 01:36 PM
I would think there would be officers in Stormtrooper squads, like in a real military. I remember something about 'elite squadron troopers' and high ranking officers fighting on Endor (they were the Emperor's "best troops"). I would think that they, at least, would have formal dress uniforms, probably in white or gray (think of Genral Veers).

Lord Dalgard
2 July 2007, 02:21 PM
Chello!

In SW Allegiance (by Timothy Zahn), there is apparently a regualtion that Stormies, even when off-duty, rae not to be seen outside of their barracks w/o armor.

Tony

Ardent
2 July 2007, 02:35 PM
Stormtroopers do not, to my knowledge, have dress uniforms at all. If they had to, they seem to use the dress uniform of their assigned body, be it ISB, COMPNOR, Imperial Army, Imperial Navy or otherwise.

Ubiqtorate
2 July 2007, 03:53 PM
Now that you mention it, I do recall reading that, Dalgard, but I couldn't remember where I read it. Thanks for the pointer. It seems like there's sort of a rule that a stormtrooper is only a stormtrooper when he's in armor. Part of the mystique of stormtroopers is that they're not ever seen out of their armor.

Alis_Morningstar
2 July 2007, 06:08 PM
Stormtroopers in black uniforms? You mean black armor? There are pics of StormCommandos in black armor in the Rebellion Era Sourcebook, but otherthan that I can't think of any stormtroopers in black uniforms.

boccelounge
2 July 2007, 07:42 PM
This is easily cleared up:

Stormtrooper officers wear black uniforms, similar in cut to the standard khaki fleet officer uniforms, just black (this is an obvious (and chilling) reference to WWII German uniforms-- khaki for regular Army, black for the SS).

These pictures are from the official website, in the Episode IV Visual Guide (http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/explore/visualguides/chp05.html).

Commander Dir (http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/explore/visualguides/chp05_picview/img/4.jpg)

Commander Praji (http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/explore/visualguides/chp05_picview/img/6.jpg)

Commander Praji leading his troops on Tatooine (http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/explore/visualguides/chp07_picview/img/41.jpg)

This shows that at least the ST officers wear non-armor "non-combat" black uniforms. In the absence of evidence to the contrary, I like the idea that rank-and-file 'Troopers always wear the white shell when on duty.

Zen3p0
7 July 2007, 09:26 AM
In Timothy Zahn's Alliance the stormtroopers were asked why they weren't in there uniforms. The uniforms stormtroopers wear are casual military standard uni's, probaly grey. They also would most likely have a fancy uniform special occasions.B)

Ris
17 July 2007, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Alis_Morningstar
Stormtroopers in black uniforms? You mean black armor? There are pics of StormCommandos in black armor in the Rebellion Era Sourcebook, but otherthan that I can't think of any stormtroopers in black uniforms.

FWIW: In the 501st Legion (the Real World one :D) the black Imperial Officer unform is refered to as "Stormtrooper Officer."

Vanger Chevane
17 July 2007, 10:07 AM
So those 2 guys in the ANH Detention Block with the helmets were Enlisted Stormies in Class A'S?

IMHO the Stormie Officers may wear dress uniforms to show they're moved from the front lines to Command.

But the Imp Generals, Veers for example, wear Dress Grays...not Blacks.

Alis_Morningstar
17 July 2007, 12:31 PM
Hmmm... I always assumed those guys were naval ratings....

Where are you referencing the 501st from?
The only place I recall it was BattleFront II, and I would call some of the stuff in that game accurate.... See the post titled X-Wing Vs. Tie Fighter (NOT THE GAME!!!) for some of its issues with reality.

boccelounge
17 July 2007, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Vanger Chevane
So those 2 guys in the ANH Detention Block with the helmets were Enlisted Stormies in Class A'S?

IMHO the Stormie Officers may wear dress uniforms to show they're moved from the front lines to Command.

But the Imp Generals, Veers for example, wear Dress Grays...not Blacks.
All this confusion is really... well. confusing to me. All this stuff was introduced in the original film 30 years ago:

- The black-helmeted guys are Naval Troopers
- Officers in black are Stormtroopers
- Officers in gray are Fleet/Army

I don't write this with any acrimony... I'm just sincerely surprised that so many people dont know all this... I've come to expect that the posters here are all thoroughly steeped in SW lore-- usually a bit more than me. ;)

But seriously, this was all in the first movie, and known to the fans decades ago... The only guy I don't know/can't remember is the white-uniformed officer in the Death Star "board room" scene-- I know subsequent EU lore (particularly Zahn) has the white uniform being the mark of a Grand Admiral, but I seem to recall the original ANH stuff calling him something else... Intel Division?

Fingon
17 July 2007, 01:41 PM
The only guy I don't know/can't remember is the white-uniformed officer in the Death Star "board room" scene

Ha! I know that one... that's Wullf Yularen, in the Imperial Securitu Bureau.

But yeah... I was not alive when the origional trilogy was released, so I missed all of the material that came out then.

Ris
17 July 2007, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Alis_Morningstar
Where are you referencing the 501st from?

If you are talking to me :)

I am referring to the costuming cliub the 501st Legion AKA Vader's Fist. Members have one or more movie-quality costumes based on the villain characters of the movies & EU. They have appeared at many events, including offical LFL events (Rose Parade, Disney-MGM SW Weekends, etc.) along with their sister organization The Rebel Legion.
This all-volunteer, international charitable organization inspired the in-universe 501st Legion of Vader's personal Clonetroopers & later Stormtroopers. The in-universe appearances that I know of are
*RotS: The Clones who helped Anakin destroy the Temple are the 501st. (Many background materials including the Visual Dictionary)
*Timothy Zahn novels Survivor's Quest & Allegiance
*Battlefronts II

Thomas
20 October 2008, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by Ardent
If they had to, they seem to use the dress uniform of their assigned body, be it ISB, COMPNOR, Imperial Army, Imperial Navy or otherwise.

Stormtroopers were, unless this has been retconned, a completely separate branch of the military, loyal only to Palpatine. They may have been assigned to work with the various divisions but I doubt they would ever wear their uniforms.

The Death Star novel introduced an idea that any one trooper would be expected to to wear different hats as part of a rotation, working as Navy, Army, and a Stormtrooper but I can't really see it working.