PDA

View Full Version : Where did all the stuff come from?

Drendar Morevo
23 July 2007, 08:36 AM
Ok, the rebellion come into existence at the end of ROTS, this I get, what I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY dont get is where did the alliance get all of its sundry, miscellaneous items?

Firstly, Uniforms, without something as technoid as Replicators someone actually had to go out and commission (or make for themselves) uniforms. So what did the alliance send out Simplicity patterns to all the rebel bases and said "this is what you are going for". Rebel Flight Suits, someone had to notice that all the UGMO orange material was being bought up.
Rank Insignia, who machined all that junk?

Who designed the Rebelion Insignia in universe? The Dress Uniforms in ANH? Those Medals?

Someone had to do it, and its just been bugging me.

coldskier0320
23 July 2007, 09:43 AM
You've gotta keep in mind two things:

First, there's been twenty years of organization and development going on in the Resistance from the end of RotS and the beginning of ANH, this allows for several major events to both give the movement legitimacy and for certain standards to apply to groups of rebels.

Second, what you see in ANH is NOT the entire Rebel Alliance. The rebel soldiers on the Tantive IV were ship-based security, most likely common to Alderaanian VIPs and their ships. And while we see some of the same on Yavin later, it would stand to reason that the Alderaanian princess would have some of these nearby.

Even if they're not Alderaanian, the standards in dress would likely be specific to a particular faction or region within the Alliance. While the Rebels we see wear the orange flight suits and the unique security uniforms, that doesn't mean that the Chandrillan rebels wear the same. But hey, if they do, keep in mind that the Resistance has friends in high places, and they have had 20 years in which to organize.

pilnick1944
23 July 2007, 10:22 AM
I think of it this way: big money that's been around for Seppie funding has suddenly been channeled by few of those who continued the fight into Reb gold hoards. And those senatorial creds and what not.

chiefcaptin
23 July 2007, 11:39 AM
Well most of the uniforms are Alderaanian in orgin. Plus many rich guys and whole planets support the Rebellion in money and also supplies.

The symbol came as a rallying point much like Betsy Ross's famous flag. Did ol' Georgie really need a new flag to send flying everywhere. Not really. But he did it for moral. Same thing as the Rebellion's Bird.

Most of the extra uniforms and stuff was surplus from the clone wars or security forces of various planets. Watch the "Standing By" scene in RotJ. The many squadrons have a whole boatload of diffrent style flight suits. The Mon Cals have their own stuff from their own defense force. The Alderaanians had the same thing.

Banditrests
23 July 2007, 01:23 PM
I know it's been mentioned in the books (The Krytos Trap, I think) that a lot of the rebel flight suits and gear is second hand or bought on the cheap from sympathizers or somesuch, which is why a lot of the suits and helmets don't match (like in RotJ's Battle of Endor, a lot of the pilots are wearing green instead of "red" [read as bright orange]). It came up because they created a Rogue Squadron uniform in honor of Corran Horn's death, and there's some discussion about why they didn't have one before.

Ris
24 July 2007, 04:24 AM
I just bought one of the new SW action figures, the Rebel Honor Guard, since my husband & I are costumers & it gets so little screen time. On the back of hte package was this blurb:

A constant scarcity of materials means that many Alliance officers lack dress uniforms. However, a few of the survivors of Alderaan--a planet once rich in ceremony--have retained theirs. It is these survivors who serve as honor guard to Luke, Han and Chewbacca in thanks for their efforts in destroying the Death Star over Yavin.
Since this presumably went through LFL approvals, I think it might be useful.

kaeroth
24 July 2007, 07:00 AM
I would lean with the others towards Rebellion gear being mostly surplus from somewhere else. Related groups (like Team Yavin) would have similar-looking gear and outfits because Steve in Requisitions got a great deal on 5 dozen orange flight suits, so that's what everyone's wearing until they wear out.

zappo inc
24 July 2007, 11:15 AM
cool find, Ris!

What's the date of manufacture for the action figure?
(Ooh, and which guys are the 'honour guard' - what do they look like?)

thnx in advance!

Ris
27 July 2007, 05:40 PM
The Rebel Honor Guard is one of the 2007 30th Anniversary figures, with the commemorative "coin." The honor guards are seen in the back of the dais in the Ceremony scene at the end of Ep. IV. They are in grey-green uniforms & carry the tall, straight pikes. They also wear the same helmets as the Rebel Fleet Troopers on the Tantive IV, except that the black visor piece is lowered.

Rostek
27 July 2007, 05:53 PM
chiefcaptain is quite right: bear in mind that with the creation of the Empire, a lot of big local Defense Forces became extinct as the Imperial Navy took over sector defense and everything.
Suddenly, Kuat and Rendilli really don't need all those flight suits and uniform caps, or those blaster rifles and armored recovery vehicles. What do they do? They sell that crap as surplus, to mercenaries, wannabes, Outer Rim local militias, misguided counter-culture youths and secretly Rebel sympathizing folks. All Steve from Requisitions needs is a clean credit card and a P.O. Box to take delivery (though he probably needs to rotate usage so as not to attract Imperial attention).

zappo inc
31 July 2007, 01:09 PM
thanx again, Ris!:D

(I should've known a rebel costumer would gimme the goods on the honour guard - thanx a bunch!!)

and, back to topic, it seems chiefcaptin and rostek are correctumundo!

CaamasiJedi49
3 August 2007, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Rostek
chiefcaptain is quite right: bear in mind that with the creation of the Empire, a lot of big local Defense Forces became extinct as the Imperial Navy took over sector defense and everything.
Suddenly, Kuat and Rendilli really don't need all those flight suits and uniform caps, or those blaster rifles and armored recovery vehicles. What do they do? They sell that crap as surplus, to mercenaries, wannabes, Outer Rim local militias, misguided counter-culture youths and secretly Rebel sympathizing folks. All Steve from Requisitions needs is a clean credit card and a P.O. Box to take delivery (though he probably needs to rotate usage so as not to attract Imperial attention).

Lol, hilarious but perfect point there Rostek. Thank you for making me laugh today as well as learn something.

Cj49

gmjabreson
3 August 2007, 01:11 PM
well my only question was, didn't the Empire bother to scope out what was being sold at "Galactic Military Surplus Stores"? I mean, FBI, CID and other Military and Federal agencies monitor what is in our surplus stores. Shoot they even check pawn shops and gun stores to make sure military hardware didn't find it's way there.

But then again, there was the Imperial mentality that they were unstoppable too.

zappo inc
4 August 2007, 09:46 AM
Well, there's nothing to say the imps didn't monitor such things...ever hear of the ATF and Waco? I'm sure the Empire got Waco'ed by the rebellion a few times.

wolfe
4 August 2007, 11:17 AM
Theres just no way in hell the Empire can track everything.
all it takes is a ship to go "missing" from one of the sympathetic planets and listed as destroyed in hyperspace accident or what not.
Alderaan had the Another Chance a warship converted to an armory ship that the empire knew nothing about.
There is also salavage yards the aliance can get materials from.
there are whole systems and planets relegated to salvage.
Then you have the numorous NESDFs (Nonessential Equipment Storage and Disposal Facility) that cover many square miles loaded with all sorts of old equipment NESDF-456 on Sirpar was 16 square kilometers loaded with old ,TIEs, walkers, armored vehicles, repulsorlifts, droids and so on.
the "Your in the Army now"adventured centered on that facility were the group goes in to get spare parts.

There is a great many places the Alliance got their gear from and the Empire just cannot cover them all.

Rostek
4 August 2007, 01:59 PM
As has been said: you just can't cover everything.
Generally, too, there wouldn't be so much munitions being sold through the surplus joints as more mundane things as uniforms, camping equipment/survival gear, .mil field manuals and the like.

That sort of stuff isn't going to pick up on the old radar quite so much as explosives, guns and ships.

It's also important to note that, especially in the days with the Senate still around, there is still the issue of establishing the bureaucracy's authority and expansion, especially on the Rim (presence of central gov't authority on Tatooine Ep. I vs. Tatooine Ep. IV, anyone?). That sort of change doesn't happen overnight-- it takes a couple decades.

wolfe
4 August 2007, 02:58 PM
Generally, too, there wouldn't be so much munitions being sold through the surplus joints
maybe not the way your thinking but they can be part of surplus sales to governments.

The clone wars end and they are still on a military build up and are getting the better and latest gear.
They sell off the older "surplus" gear to these governments, now some of these governments may be part of the Alliance build up, it's all approved by the senate since you have some senators involved and after all so far everyone believes they are back to one big happy familiy again.
A pro-Imperial planet purchasing such hardware may just end up seeing that shipment disappear by the growing number of "pirate" activity lately.
How many years of just build up did the Alliance do before going public?
Then there was the open shipjacking done by the Alliance to entire logistic supply fleets.

They later started the privateering project which netted them even more gear.

Some of their safe worlds had factories building small arms, ammo, communication gear, medical supplies, food, clothing, and so on.

There are just so many avenues they can have gone to acquire their gear in a heavily populated galaxy that I find it hard not to see where they could have gotten it all.

Rostek
4 August 2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by wolfe
[B]
maybe not the way your thinking but they can be part of surplus sales to governments.

The clone wars end and they are still on a military build up and are getting the better and latest gear.
They sell off the older "surplus" gear to these governments, now some of these governments may be part of the Alliance build up, it's all approved by the senate since you have some senators involved and after all so far everyone believes they are back to one big happy familiy again.
A pro-Imperial planet purchasing such hardware may just end up seeing that shipment disappear by the growing number of "pirate" activity lately.
How many years of just build up did the Alliance do before going public?
Then there was the open shipjacking done by the Alliance to entire logistic supply fleets.

There is that, too... Garm Bel Ibis and Bail Organa are probably fine examples of that at work.

I remember the privateering project (I lurves me some Far Orbit-ness), and I think it's also important to remember that the bulk of Alliance naval activity was probably directed toward raiding Imperial logistical targets, like weapons depots and cargo convoys (which would also have the benefit of adding the boarded and seized cargo ships to the fleet). Hell, that's what, IIRC, SpaceOps was for in the SpecForce division.