PDA

View Full Version : Senators during the rebellion.

calamarisoldier
13 August 2007, 07:13 PM
If the empire was a dictatorship, what became of senators like bail organa and mon mothma. What roll did they play in day to day politics (not with the rebels) and were many like them exicuted?:daala:

Ronin
20 August 2007, 08:31 AM
Do a search on Wookiepedia for the terms:
Imperial Senate
Imperial Senators
and you'll find out a fair bit.
Check the entries for Mon Mothma, Bail Organa, Pooja Naberie (IIRC she followed in Padme's footsteps as Naboo's senator), Garm Bel Iblis etc and you'll find useful links.

Keep in mind that the Empire wasn't strictly a dictatorship until the senate's dissolution (during Ep4)...from the formation of the Empire up until Alderaan's destruction the Imperial Senate was still a political body...
albeit one with steadily less and less power ;) I'd say that by the time of Ep4 it was probably just a collection of figureheads. From Tarkin's comment about "regional governors" it seems the Empire had set up bureaucracy in place ready for the end of the senate.
And you can bet most of those governors are humans, and probably grew up fed on COMPNOR...

Ubiqtorate
20 August 2007, 03:42 PM
Technically, Pooja Naberrie followed in the illustrious footsteps of Jar Jar Binks as senator from Naboo - but it's interesting to note there that the Imperial Senate was full of dupes like Jar Jar. There were a lot of corrupt senators in the Republic, and most of them supported Empire, since it was a way for them to increase their power and standing. I'm interested in what might have happened to the senators after Palpatine dissolved the Senate in 0 ABY, though...

Alis_Morningstar
23 August 2007, 04:53 PM
The Imperial Senate was a very thinly veiled refrence to the Roman Senate IMO, especailly during their more waning periods.... like the rule of Agustus and Cladius. They ran the day to day business of the Empire, but had no real control other than how may candels were ordered for the Senate.

zappo inc
24 August 2007, 08:47 AM
just a guess, but those that didn't fight the corruption via the Alliance probly indulged in the corruption and set themselves up as petty tyrants in their own territories (under their governor's watchful eyes, of course). Or served as Palpatine's advisors, or in various other 'flunkie' positions. Perhaps they would have taken up a more active role in various moneymaking schemes such as corporate control or organized crime. (remember passel argente from the prequel confederacy?) Or they may have retreated to some private moon and simply wallowed in the excesses to which they had become accustomed. Any other thoughts?

S-Foil
27 August 2007, 11:30 PM
For one there really wasn't a "Rebellion" until around 0ABY, senators still had a modicum of power and the planetary governors and Moffs hadn't been put into power everywhere. I ran a few games in this era and I decided that immediately after the Clone Wars the Emperor placed region governors in charge of systems that were members of the CIS. They were positioned as "temporary" governors while those systems rebuilt. Like the Emperor's emergency powers however these governors were made permenant rulers of these regions and the model was slowly spread through the galaxy. Individual senators would often cede their voting positions to the Moffs so they could go join a committee to get some perk for the system(s) they represented. Eventually the Moffs had a majority of the power in the Outer Rim and the only true senators left were from the Core and even they had region governors to contend with. I used that as a pretext for the original Alliance charter, since it was meant to restore the Republic.

Senators not directly involved in the early formation of the Alliance were propably securing their positions of power in their home systems or looting the galactic treasury in some fashion. Either would have been of use to Palpatine in the first few years of the Empire. As long as the military got its funding he likely wouldn't care about individual senators running amuck. Every one of them seeing to their own business was one less looking over his shoulder. The clone wars left much of the galaxy in disarray so it's likely that even uncorrupt senators were focused mainly on issues at home rather than galactic ones. Since Palpatine had his overarching emergency powers the senators only needed to rubber stamp policies of the New Order (and doing so made them look effectual to the public).

Stratos
11 September 2007, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by S-Foil
For one there really wasn't a "Rebellion" until around 0ABY, senators...

Interesting. I was reading through these latest threads from the past 30 days and stubbled across this comment.

The main reason I was here was because I've been fishing for the answer to: When does the Rebellion Era begin?

I was going to just start a new thread bt since S-Foil made this comment, I just figured I'd hijack this thread for the moment.

Personally, I disagree that the Rebellion didn't begin until 0ABY. You can see glimpses of it's fruition within Revenge of the Sith between Padme, Mon Mothma, and Bail Organa. And the novels and earlier RPG works, have long including Garm Bel Iblis of Corellia into the mix as well, stating his seperation from the "triune" of Organa/Mothma/Bel Iblis as a catalyst for the formation of the early, formalized Rebellion (The Alliance to Restore the Republic/Galactic Alliance).

And if you take the book/novel timeline as a point in which the Rebellion Era starts... it's about 10BY with the Han Solo Trilogy.

So, I ask again... When does the Rebellion Era begin?

And to the point on a Senators role within the Empire... I think all the points have been made. Those not enjoying the corruption of Imperial rule were likely the ones helping sow the seeds of Rebellion.

Ubiqtorate
11 September 2007, 03:16 PM
I would say the Rebellion Era begins at 0 ABY with the Rebellion's first big victory. Of course that's totally arbitrary, though.

Stratos
11 September 2007, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Ubiqtorate
I would say the Rebellion Era begins at 0 ABY with the Rebellion's first big victory. Of course that's totally arbitrary, though.

Then what would you call all the years of preparation the Rebellion needed to make the Battle of Yavin possible?

And, if Luke hadn't been there - would they have even won? Would there even had been a Rebellion without a victory?

In Crispen's Solo Trilogy book she uses the term "Rebels" to discuss Han's love interest throughout the series.

Ubiqtorate
11 September 2007, 05:21 PM
Well, that's why it's arbitrary. If the "Rebel Era" began in 0 ABY, does that mean there were no Rebels prior to that? No - that's just where we can choose to draw our demarcation line. Anything prior to that, but after the Clone Wars, I'd lump into the "Rise of the Empire" era. But it's all about where historians arbitrarily draw their lines.

calamarisoldier
11 September 2007, 05:47 PM
I think the rebellion began as soon as the empire was formed. In dark lord, I talks about protesters against the Empire. Although not united under the redbird, they were all technicly "rebels":hansolo:

Stratos
11 September 2007, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by calamarisoldier
I think the rebellion began as soon as the empire was formed. In dark lord, I talks about protesters against the Empire. Although not united under the redbird, they were all technicly "rebels":hansolo:

Right! And the Empire was born out of the Clone Wars... I consider the events leading to and during the Clones Wars as the "Rise of the Empire" Era.

Alis_Morningstar
13 September 2007, 04:16 PM
Was Yavin really their first victory? After all, they survived until Yavin, and thats its own kind of victory. Also, the Empire was looking for them in a big way, not a you organized a peaceful protest kinda way. Even a farm kid from a backwoods nowhere knows about the rebellion. I think theres a bit more to the rebellion's beginning than has been stated or thought of.

Darklighter
13 September 2007, 05:47 PM
If I had to pick a moment when the Rebellion era started, I'd probably pick around 1BBY. It was around that time that the Alliance was really formed out of the resistance groups on Chandrila, Alderaan and Coruscant, and very shortly thereafter the Declaration of Rebellion issued. It's the Declaration that makes the Rebels a household name, as they were very effective in publicising it. Smaller resistance groups and individuals started joining the Alliance after that, with even whole planets defecting to support it. The victory at Yavin just accelerates a process already underway. Victory will do that. ;)

As for Senators at the dissolution of the Senate, I figure some few were rewarded by Palpatine and continued to serve him other ways. A few others may have tried to find ways to resist and/or oppose him - the Senate hadn't been entirely emptied of principled beings, as Bail Organa and Mon Mothma demonstrate. Some of the corrupt sorts may have actually been killed or imprisoned by Palpatine for taking too much, taking the wrong things, or generally just going too far.

And don't forget that there may have been a lot of Senators somewhere between these extremes. There's your 'do nothing' ineffective Senator, or a senator that may have just wanted to retire and forget about it after. Who knows? They weren't all corrupt, they weren't all Palpatine's lackeys, and they weren't all upstanding courageous types out to oppose him either. There's a lot of room to play with there. In the end though, would Palpatine have let any of these people live very long if they weren't serving him? Or would he have engineered their deaths in quiet ways, or framed and imprisoned them? Even out of office, Senators would have enough public profile to pose a threat - even if they just want to retire and forget about the whole thing.

Sarge
13 September 2007, 06:46 PM
The opening of Ep IV says that the Rebels had just won their first victory. So I'd like to know what happened before that. Did they lose all the battles they fought before then? Or fight the Empire to a draw and escape to fight another day? Or maybe that was only the first victory of that particular branch of the Rebellion.

zappo inc
2 October 2007, 09:59 AM
I would hazard the guess that the theft of the ds plans was indeed their first major victory, and they were probly busy hiding out and building strength/alliances over teh previous 20 years. They would have been establishing terro--er, resistance cells thruout the galaxy, and supply depots, communication hubs, and contacts, and so forth. Lottsa potential for roleplaying adventures (which, of course, my group exploited handily back in the day).

of course, all this supposition will amount to a pile of sh!# when the tv series comes out and ruins this interpolation...I foresee a tv series with lottsa carnage and action, and lottsa battles and rebel escapes, and presumably a victory or two (cause audiences want their heroes to win at least some of the time, right?)

so, i guess i'm sayin your guess is as good as anyone else's...and all the guesswork will be for naught when they release the show (which i hope is not as lamely dramatic as the new battlestar galactica, which, rumour has it, is being looted by Lucas of its writing staff).

anyhoo, i rant, and now i stop.

cheers!:D

calamarisoldier
2 October 2007, 01:54 PM
Search wookiepedia for time linof galactic history, and go to the links, battles of this era for RoE. It hepled me a lot.:)

calamarisoldier
5 October 2007, 11:25 AM
Actually, they had some victories like on ord mandell, and they were in countless commando raids across the galixy.:hansolo:

zappo inc
25 October 2007, 09:26 AM
Ord Mantell happened just after A New Hope - Han, Luke, Leia, et al were looting some of Alderaan's cash reserves for rebel use, not knowing they were walking into a trap...8o

calamarisoldier
25 October 2007, 05:47 PM
Huh, I thought it happened a few days before.:?

Ubiqtorate
25 October 2007, 08:04 PM
I actually thought Ord Mantell was right before The Empire Strikes Back. Maybe it was a busy place?

Stratos
26 October 2007, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by Ubiqtorate
I actually thought Ord Mantell was right before The Empire Strikes Back. Maybe it was a busy place?

Busier than one might think...

Galactic Repulic
Circa 37 BBY, Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn and his Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi were assigned to investigate a missing cargo ship. The investigation led them to Ord Mantell, where they encountered a ruthless land baron named Taxer Sundown, who controlled much Ord Mantell’s moisture farming properties. The intervention of the Jedi forced Sundown to try and flee Ord Mantell, though the resulting chase ended in a crash that broke Sundowner’s neck. This led to the discovery of a mind-control device being employed by Sundown which, in addition to lightsaber-wielding enforcers, had convinced Mantellian farmers that he was a Jedi.

Before the start of the Clone Wars, Jedi Knight Pablo-Jill brought peace to the lawless world. Afterwards, Ord Mantell was one of the planets used as a weapons storage facility and clone trooper barracks by the Grand Army of the Republic during the Clone Wars.

Galactic Empire
During the Imperial era, the planet claimed to be free of Imperial interest though the famous smuggler Han Solo and Luke Skywalker, on a mission, discovered an Imperial fleet on maneuvers there. It was here that Han had his run in with the bounty hunter Skorr. It was at a starship scrapyard on Ord Mantell that Dash Rendar—working to locate information on Han Solo's whereabouts for Lando Calrissian after the debacle at Cloud City—ran into IG-88 and other bounty hunters trying to intercept Boba Fett, who was transporting Han Solo's frozen body to Jabba the Hutt. Rendar defeated IG-88D in a battle in the Ord Mantell junkyards.

New Republic
Ord Mantell was admitted into the New Republic in 9 ABY. It was subsequently attacked by Grand Admiral Thrawn in the Battle of Ord Mantell in 9 ABY as part of a tactic to keep the New Republic distracted.

During the Disciples of Ragnos crisis, Information had surfaced about a large stockpile of old weapons hidden in the wastes of the planet. Jaden Korr moved there to destroy the stockpiles so they didn't fall into the wrong hands and had to battle with Boba Fett before he succeeded.

Han Solo returned to Ord Mantell between 23 and 24 ABY aboard the Millennium Falcon to act as a judge in the Blockade Runner Race. During this visit, they encountered Anja Gallandro, who believed that Solo had murdered her father. Gallandro used this to try and coerce Solo in mediating a violent dispute between miners and farmers on her home world of Anobis.

Yuuzhan Vong War
During the Yuuzhan Vong invasion of the galaxy, Ord Mantell was approached by the New Republic to help alleviate the overwhelming rush of refugees fleeing the battle zones. Like many refugee worlds early in the war, it was eventually overrun by the Yuuzhan Vong. The planet was eventually liberated by a band of soldiers wearing Mandalorian armor. It was believed that their leader was none other than Boba Fett himself, although only Han Solo had any evidence to support this rumor.

all taken from Wookieepedia

zappo inc
30 October 2007, 09:08 AM
the rebels needed cash in a bad way, so the Yavin heroes go there to 'steal' Organa money. They run afoul of the bounty hunter Cypher (sp?).

this happens after luke and han run into trouble with a star destroyer while they are looking for a new rebel base to replace yavin.

more or less.

:D

JediSeuss
20 November 2007, 05:31 AM
I may be mistaken but I seem to remember in the old WEG d6 Rebel Alliance source book that there was something about a "Declaration of Rebellion" or something similar titled ...would that not be the "official" beginning of the Rebellion :? Anyway, just my 2 cents

Stratos
20 November 2007, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by JediSeuss
I may be mistaken but I seem to remember in the old WEG d6 Rebel Alliance source book that there was something about a "Declaration of Rebellion" or something similar titled ...would that not be the "official" beginning of the Rebellion :? Anyway, just my 2 cents

It is hard to pinpoint the exact moment that rebellion against Palpatine began, but its earliest known roots took place shortly before the end of the Clone Wars. By this time, Supreme Chancellor Palpatine had accumulated a massive power base, and with the passing of the Sector Governance Decree, installed his own officers and troops on Republic worlds. Senators such as Bail Organa and Mon Mothma saw this as a move towards dictatorship, as opposed to a way of reinforcing the democracy they served. Meeting with other trusted Senators, Organa and Mothma formed the Delegation of 2000, arguably the first organization to which the future Rebellion can be connected.

Members of the Delegation drew up a Petition of 2000, attempting to force the Chancellor to lay down his emergency powers and pursue a peaceful resolution to the war. Palpatine rejected this however, and soon after, transformed the Republic into the Galactic Empire, installing himself as Emperor with the support of much of the Galactic Senate. Many of those who had signed the Petition of 2,000 were imprisoned, killed or forced into exile, though Organa and Mothma managed to elude Palpatine's attention—in part thanks to the advice of the late Padmé Amidala, pleading with Bail not to attract attention to his secret resistance against Palpatine, during the very session of congress that saw the birth of the Empire. Bail kept his word, and, slowly, he and Mon Mothma began to build a de facto resistance against Palpatine's regime.

Sarge
20 November 2007, 03:53 PM
Stratos, what's the source of that history?

Stratos
20 November 2007, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Sarge
Stratos, what's the source of that history?

Sorry, posted it on the run. It's a quote from Wookieepedia. Go to that Wiki and search "Rebellion"

Possibly a more reliable source: The New Essential Chronology (page 89) states that the official birth of the Alliance to Restore the Republic happened only 2 years prior to the Battle of Yavin (A New Hope) when the Corellian Treaty was signed by Organa, Mon Mothma, and Bel Iblis. This Treat brought the three major "rebel" cells together as one unified Rebellion.

zappo inc
22 November 2007, 10:10 AM
hey sarge

that info is from the novelization of RotS and some of the cut scenes,i believe.:)

Faraer
25 November 2007, 08:49 AM
Just so. The Rebellion exists underground for many years before it makes itself public and strikes overtly against the Empire.

zappo inc
30 November 2007, 09:14 AM
at least until the new tv series comes out and changes everything...not that there's anything wrong with that...:rolleyes:

Ubiqtorate
30 November 2007, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I'm holding off on trying to do anything in that era until the TV show comes out. I've been burned too many times by trying to anticipate what "happened" in a certain time segment.