PDA

View Full Version : A thought or two

gmjabreson
16 August 2007, 04:16 PM
I was going over my extra mini's today, and it occured to me. Why don't they have a Trandoshan commoner? I mean we have Bossk, but is there a commoner (like Jawa's and Ewoks)?

And what about other species? Couldn't they do that as well? We have at least 3 different wookies.

I don't know everything about the sets, since I've only focused on 2, rebel storm and Starships.

I do have some from Universe and Alliance Vs. Empire, but not many. though thinking on getting rid of some of the ones from those sets that I won't be using or have a need for (anyone need a Basalisk War Mount?)

Just me, but I think Wizards can forget another version of Vader, give me a bigger variety of Species Commoners.

Sithspawn
17 August 2007, 04:10 AM
I'd certainly like WOTC to produce more generic aliens for RPG use. Although there is a Trandoshan Mercenary in A&E.

Donovan Morningfire
18 August 2007, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by gmjabreson
Just me, but I think Wizards can forget another version of Vader, give me a bigger variety of Species Commoners.
I agree with that sentiment, but unfortunately it'll never happen.

Each set is produced with the idea that it should have stuff for both new players and old. And one of the characters that new players will want is a Vader of some form or another. Similar reason why we have so many versions of Boba Fett, Luke, Leia, and Han, and several other "named" characters from the films.

So far we've had several different flavors of beatstick Vaders, and I recall seeing on the WotC SW mini forums that the next few versions are going to be commander-type Vaders.

Still, we are seeing more "commoners" as the sets go on. Like Sithspawn said, there's Trandoshan Mercs in Alliance vs. Empire, and there's quite a few others across the different sets.

If you're curious to see what's in each set, there's a database on the Wizard's site where you can view the picture gallery to not only see what figures are in each expansion, but what they look like (or at least an idealized version of what they should look like).

Actually, here's the link -> SW Minis web database (http://www.wizards.com/swminis/swminis_db.asp)

Darth Jerrod
19 August 2007, 03:43 PM
Also do not forget the REAL goal of SW mini's is for mini's play and then use them in the RPG. In a perfect world they would both be equal at Gencon talking to some of the mini's players they were like "saga what? there is an RPG?"

So the fun in a "commoner" mini is at the bottom of the list in choosing for a set. WotC is now having a specific tourney called Utinni where you build the worst squad ever for your opponent to use and visa versa.

It looked like a fun tourney this morning but I was getting ready for Dynamic Duo, build a squad consisting of exactly 2 mini's following faction rules (so no rebel and imp on same squad) and the total must match exactly 100pts.

cheshire
20 August 2007, 05:35 AM
Wow. That sounds great. I always wanted to build a squad of 33 Ewoks.

Seriously, though, I can't say I'm too upset that they keep redoing Vader, Luke, and all of them. I just got into this less than a year ago. I would really like to have a Boba Fett, and IG-88, and a few others. Given that I haven't been doing this as long, my chances have been slimmer.

Of course, I love the commons for roleplaying. I won't trade my Stormtroopers, because in RPG sessions, I sometimes tend to need a dozen of them or so.

Sithspawn
20 August 2007, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by cheshire
Wow. That sounds great. I always wanted to build a squad of 33 Ewoks.
Of course, I love the commons for roleplaying. I won't trade my Stormtroopers, because in RPG sessions, I sometimes tend to need a dozen of them or so.

My next Rebel Squad won't quite be 33 Ewoks, I don't have that many. But I do plan to play 20 Ewoks, Han in Stormtrooper Armour & Ithorian Commander. I can hear my mate sighing now as I put my squad on the table :P

As for trading Stormtroopers, I hear ya'. I remember when it was just Rebel Storm, you'd have thought Stormtroopers were the Very Rare B)

Darth Jerrod
20 August 2007, 08:30 AM
I am going to set up my Stormies and my clone troopers and take a snap shot and let you see how many I have.

As for Boba? you can try to get him in the A&E set or try to snag him in a Bounty Hunters booster as well. I just nabbed both this weekend doing just that. Though Boba from A&A came from the league boosters but still I did pay for those two boosters.

We will always see some of the core characters just so that people who have not been in it long can get them.

I am telling everyone get those 2 packs, original boba from rebel storm is in there. So is Luke from another set vader is as well. Get the starter set fixxed figures but a good obi wan from rebel storm is in there along with a map.