PDA

View Full Version : outbound flight:was it the only attempt?

quin derran
4 October 2007, 11:23 PM
I was wondering if Outbound Flight was the only attempt to leave the galaxy, and if anyone had ever tried playing with the possibility? I think that it may have been the only republic sponsored attempt, Maybe others tried it, and I'll wager that force users would have accompanied the attempt. Palpatine might have tried again, or the early republic could have attempted it. Out bound flight was erased from the records, maybe another was simply kept under wraps, or went off badly? Any ideas? Has anyone toyed with the idea and is it even possible?

Master Dao Rin
5 October 2007, 01:45 AM
I hardly doubt this was the first attempt.

In my view, the people of the Star Wars galaxy have gone out to the local globular cluster galaxies surrounding the main disk. In fact, the AotC makes reference to "the Rishi Maze", and the visual seems to confirm this ...

Sithspawn
5 October 2007, 04:32 AM
If the Vong can do it I'm sure others can.
The Nagai & Tofs were originally said to be from another galaxy, although I believe that has since been changed.

Lucas Carr
5 October 2007, 01:46 PM
I haven't heard of anything official besides outbound flight, though I have added two successful such projects to my timeline. One made by a ship full of 40 Jedi and the other by a military vessel from a species I've created.

Ardent
5 October 2007, 02:08 PM
Moving this thread to Rumors & Speculation.

quin derran
6 October 2007, 12:56 AM
hey lucas could you post some more info from your campaign? It sounds intruiging, and I'd like to hear more about it. And question sithspawn , what books were the Nagai in?

Lucas Carr
6 October 2007, 12:18 PM
These two events are not central to my campaign so I don't know much about it. I even misremembered the number of Jedi on the first ship. There were only 20 when they left in response to the Jedi beacon to stay away from Coruscant at the end of the Clone Wars. They were led by Dorn Lorekeeper, who is part Dorgh. Those who traveled with him were human, Cerean, Chev, Miraluka, and Zeltron in origin.

They left through Dorgh space, considering that the safest way to hide their escape from the galaxy. They also left a trail of beacons so that they could keep in contact beyond the rim, where ever they went.

Then in 9 BBY the Empire sent an armada to Dorgh space because of incessant rumors that the Dorgh were hiding superior technology. Rumors brought on by their caution in how others were allowed to enter and travel through their space.

To make sure the trail of beacons wouldn't be discovered, the commander of one of the Dorgh vessels replaced each of the beacons with Dorgh made beacons and left the galaxy on the same trail. This female commander is related to Master Lorekeeper, but of "pure" Dorgh blood.

That's basically all I know about that end of the inter galactic route because I created both of these trips to get the ships, Jedi, Force, and the listed species to the other end of the route.

naboo_princess
6 October 2007, 12:40 PM
I think it was ant attempt by Palpatine to remove a number of Jedi, including masters, out of the way, under pretense that they were exploring another part of the galaxy. This is in Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn

LordSei
6 October 2007, 04:53 PM
i would have to suspect it to not be the only attempt in 25000 years...somebody had to want to go a little further

naboo_princess
6 October 2007, 08:17 PM
Maybe in the past 25,000 years, people were busy exploring the rest of the galaxy

Ubiqtorate
7 October 2007, 08:42 PM
Busy exploring their own galaxy, and yet there's this massive swath of "unknown regions." The one thing I never understood about Outbound Flight was that they were sending people outside the galaxy when they still hadn't finished exploring their own. Anyone want to make that make some sense?

Lucas Carr
8 October 2007, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Ubiqtorate
Busy exploring their own galaxy, and yet there's this massive swath of "unknown regions." The one thing I never understood about Outbound Flight was that they were sending people outside the galaxy when they still hadn't finished exploring their own. Anyone want to make that make some sense?

With everything we still have to learn about this world of ours, we've been out in space for decades.

Or why study medicine when we haven't figured out math yet?

Or in other words. It is there. So why limit ourselves?

wolverine
8 October 2007, 01:22 AM
I can understand where "Ubiqtorate" is coming from. Why waste time and effort to understand/expolore regions outside our own galaxy when we dont even know all there is to about our own..

Lucas Carr
8 October 2007, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by wolverine
I can understand where "Ubiqtorate" is coming from. Why waste time and effort to understand/expolore regions outside our own galaxy when we dont even know all there is to about our own..

I don't see it as a waste of time. It is the same as us saying we're not going to use our telescopes to look at anything beyond our own solar system until we know all there is to know about it.

Knowing everything about our solar system is surely lifetimes and generations away, and even if it's not the Star Wars galaxy would be. So why wait?

Admiral Zaarin
12 October 2007, 09:43 AM
And of course, as mentioned earlier, the real reason for Outbound Flight was to rid Palpatine of several pesky Jedi masters, C'Baoth in particular.

Hush
17 October 2007, 08:03 AM
They are been explorers in the past, just nothing of the scale of outbound has been mentioned. A couple of jedi explorers went off into the then uncharted Outer Rim and stummbled upon Korriban and bingo, the Great Hyperspace War happened.

I think after the Hyperspace War and the Mandolorian War the Republic was uneasy about people blinding wondering around uncharted space and starting another war with an unknown power.

The only problem with the Uknown Regions is all the anomalies that screw up hyperspace travel. They probably sent people out there but gave up time and again when they couldn't chart any stable/lasting routes. And after the Killik-Chiss war I don't think the Chiss are going to take kindly to anyone for the GA trouncing around the Unknown Regions for a long time.

By yeah Outbound was a scheme to knock off Jedi.

I was part of a game that was post 2nd Corellian Insurrection that was about an outbound type craft being sent out of the galaxy but the game died pretty fast when half the people stopped posting.

Admiral Zaarin
19 October 2007, 01:15 PM
I considered running a game on Outbound Flight, until I realized the difficulty I have persuading my players to play anything but Jedi, meaning they would all die fairly quickly. :rolleyes: