PDA

View Full Version : STATS: Valkyrie Long-Range Bomber

Kayle Skolaris
29 May 2001, 06:53 PM
Capsule: The B-70 Valkyrie is one of the most powerful weapons in the post-Imperial era. Its design and construction was ordered three months after Leia Organa Solo left office as Galactic Republic Chief of State. Since the time of Mon Mothma, superweapons of any sort had been a taboo subject within the Republic hierarchy. Mentioning the possibility of building one was a wonderful way to ruin one's career. Mon Mothma had been fanatical in her opposition to such weapon systems and Leia Organa Solo had followed the same path out of respect for her predecessor's legacy.

This stance against weapons of mass destruction had cost the Republic numerous times over the years. Without a means to adequately strike back at forces willing and able to use planet-destroying weaponry, the Republic had been brought to its knees numerous times. The B-70 was meant to be a means to end this trend.

There is very little about the B-70 that one would consider revolutionary. Her hyperdrive and ion drive are both cutting-edge, but neither yield performance that is totally unheard of. Her defenses are quite impressive for a vessel her size, but not to an extreme degree. What makes the B-70 such a devastating weapon is the specific combination of attributes and abilities brought together in one efficient package. The Valkyrie is quite simply the best ship of her type ever built.

Her primary combat mission is simple. She is to deliver a payload of munitions capable of laying waste to the surface of a planet to any target in the galaxy and return safely. To do this the Valkyrie is armed with twenty-four hyper-enriched laser-guided gamma bombs, each with a yield of 120 megatons. These bombs are specially designed to be as "dirty" as possible. The ravening gamma radiation released by them is sufficient to wreck the ecology of any known planetary ecosystem. Even with the best terraforming techniques currently available, a planet subjected to bombing by a squadron of B-70's will be uninhabitable for at least two hundred years. If left to recover on its own, most worlds will remain a radioactive wasteland for hundreds of thousands of years, possibly even millions of years. The B-70 is obviously a weapon of last resort.

Craft: Koensayr B-70 Valkyrie Long-Range Bomber
Type: Strategic Interstellar Bomber
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 60 meters
Skill: Space Transports: Valkyrie
Crew: 4, Gunners: 6, Skeleton: 3/+20
Crew Skill: Astrogation 6D, Capital Ship Gunnery 7D Communications 6D+2, Sensors 6D, Space Transports 8D, Starship Gunnery 6D+1, Starship Shields 8D
Passengers: 6
Cargo Capacity: 250 kilograms (240 metric tons in bomb bay)
Consumables: 1 week
Cost: 35 billion credits fully loaded
Hyperdrive: x.25
Hyperdrive Back-Up: x4
Maneuverability: 3D
Space: 18
Atmosphere: 1,100; 3,200kmh
Hull: 6D
Shields: 4D
Sensors:
Passive: 50/2D
Scan: 100/4D
Search: 200/6D
Focus: 5/8D
Sensor Masking: Sensor-Absorbent Hull adds +30 to all difficulties to detect and/or track the Valkyrie
Sensor Decoys: Carries 12 decoys, each can be set to register on sensors as any of over 25,000 different ships, including the Valkyrie itself.
Sensor Jammers: Active jamming reduces enemy fire control by 6D. Note, Jammers should only be used when the Valkyrie has been detected since it will negate the usefulness of the sensor absorbing material in the hull.
Weapons:
6 Pulse Lasers
Fire Arc: Turret
Crew: 1 each
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 4D
Space Range: 2-5/25/50
Atmosphere Range: 200-500/2.5/5 km
Damage: 6D

30 Concussion Missiles (Under-Wing Mounts)
Scale: Capital
Fire Arc: Forward
Crew: Pilot
Skill: Capital Ship Gunnery
Fire Control: 3D
Space Range: 3-15/45/90
Atmosphere Range: 6-30/90/180 km
Damage: 9D

24 Hyper-Enriched Gamma Bombs
Scale: Capital
Fire Arc: Front
Crew: Co-Pilot
Skill: Capital Ship Gunnery
Fire Control: 4D
Space Range: Not Applicable
Atmosphere Range: Free-Fall Laser-Guided
Blast Radius: 40/80/120/160 kilometers (Fatally Irradiates an area 1,600 kilometers in radius. Everything in that area takes 16D Walker Scale radiation damage every round until dead/destroyed.)
Damage: 16D/12D/8D/4D (but note radiation damage above)

Malkarris
29 May 2001, 07:39 PM
Very nasty ship there Kayle. Powerful without being too Munchkin. Just a few questions.
1. What's it look like? Sleek? Stubby? Green with Purple stripes? Its just one thing that I have to know about stuff.

2. What's the range on Focus for the sensors?

3. How does the bomber get out of range of the bombs?

Once again, nice.

Chris Curtis
29 May 2001, 07:40 PM
Ah, it appears that I'm the first to comment on your new design again, Kayle... Also, a note to those who may be unaware: Kayle runs a rather high-powered campaign (which, frankly, looks quite interesting from everything he posts), so be forewarned.

The "B-70" huh? Nice to see you basing it on a real-world example... ;) First, the description/capsule is rather good. Nice history and justification for the bomber's existence. I guess I'll head on to the comments...

Passengers: Why? I won't dispute that it could probably carry some (though 2 or 4 might be better), but why in the world would it need to carry any passengers?

Hyperdrive: [whistle] Nice. I guess maybe that price-tag is justified...

Sensors: I'm guessing you forgot to give the range for Focus? Otherwise, an extremely impressive sensor array. I wish my character could get his hands on one half as good.

Sensor Masking: +30 difficulty seems a bit excessive. Maybe you should reduce the amount depending on how fast the bomber is going. At full throttle (18) I doubt it should be just as stealthy as if it were "sneaking" along.

Concussion Missiles: Very nice. Are these meant for defensive use? I'll assume so, because otherwise they don't seem to fit with the mission profile.

Nukes: This is probably the thing I question the most. First off, calling them "thermonuclear bombs" just isn't very star wars. Maybe call them "hypermatter bombs" or something?

Also, I don't know how realistic you mean for the blast radius to be. If you want the most realism, though, some closer numbers for a 120Mt bomb would be below. Perhaps you could vary the damage by radius (9D / 7D / 6D / 4D)?

Ground Blast: 13.5 / 21 / 30 / 37.5 km
Air Burst: 54 / 84 / 120 / 150 km
(Total Destruction / Heavy Damage / Moderate Damage / Light Damage)
Total Destruction: All structures above ground are destroyed.
Heavy Damage: Factories and other large-scale buildings collapse. Severe damage to highway bridges. Rivers sometimes flow counter-current.
Moderate Damage: Everything flammable burns. People in the area suffocate due to the fact that most available oxygen is consumed by the fires.
Light Damage: Residency structures are severely damaged. People are blown around. 2nd and 3rd-degree burns suffered by most survivors.

You can figure that the radiation damage in any but the last "zone" will be more or less fatal to anyone exposed within a few hours.

Okay, enough science stuff from me. I'm starting to feel like a geek... :D

Kayle Skolaris
29 May 2001, 07:46 PM
I fixed the focus range problem.

It has a passenger capacity because... I dunno. I'll get rid of that shortly.

The missiles are defensive. Missiles don't require large power generators so they're the most efficient way to defend against capital ships.

I'm gonna fix the blast radius thing shortly and rename the bombs themselves.

Kayle Skolaris
30 May 2001, 02:52 AM
A gorgeous picture of the Valkyrie in flight as well as virtually everything you'd ever want to know about her can be found here: http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/modern_flight/mf37.htm

Remo Moxey
30 May 2001, 01:51 PM
Kayle I knew the name sounded familiar..........lol

I live in Dayton , Ohio (Home of the U.S. Air Force Museum), I have actually seen this thing in person. To bad the museum is about the only thing in Dayton........lol.

It's a small world after all..................lol

Kayle Skolaris
30 May 2001, 01:55 PM
Remo, what's it like to see her in person? In my opinion she's one of the most beautiful aircraft ever built.

Remo Moxey
31 May 2001, 05:28 PM
They've got 2 main buildings there (plus 2 annex buildings), and she's in the modern flight wing. She's up on 7' pylons standing tall above all the rest. If you're an aviation fan I HIGHLY reccomend you try to get here and see it.

The good stuff keeps rolling in too. The ENOLA GAY is there (I'm not sure if it's finished with restoration yet), the SR-71 Blackbird (2 of them even, the prototype and the last one retired).

My fav though, has to be the P-40 Tigershark, HEY, I'm an old fassioned kind of guy..............lol.

gmjabreson
20 May 2006, 04:44 AM
IIRC, the P40 is the "warhawk", with the Tigershark being the designated symbol of the volunteer force that went over to china to defend it before the US got involved in WW2. I remember watching the old Wings show on the Discovery Channel about the Valkrye and its disaster in flight. It was soon after that incident that the planes funding went away as well.

http://www.angelfire.com/fm/compass/Warhawk.htm

is the site you can find hard data on the P40 of World War 2. I am also a big history buff, especially world war 2 equipment, vehicles, ships, and aircraft.

But nice job on the stats for the bomber.

Kayle Skolaris
20 May 2006, 04:46 AM
Good lord, I was just looking over this old thread a few minutes ago. Hey GM Jabreson, you do realize the last time someone posted to this thread was over five years ago, right?

gmjabreson
20 May 2006, 07:44 AM
should that matter?

Kayle Skolaris
20 May 2006, 07:54 AM
Not a bit. I just thought I was the only one who read these old threads.

Tonyx
20 May 2006, 08:52 AM
Kayle Skolaris once someone reads and posts on them, they move to the top and other people see them. LIke myself. It could be interesting to see a few designs from WWII or elsewhere get into the RPG at some point. They were unique and cool.

Kayle Skolaris
20 May 2006, 08:55 AM
Yeah, the Germans in particular had some really wild experimental designs. The B-70 is an old idea given birth through the magic of my love for the XB-70 design.

Tonyx
20 May 2006, 09:07 AM
IF you have any other ideas Kayle Skolaris, post them here I would love to see them!

Kayle Skolaris
20 May 2006, 09:40 AM
I have hundreds of ideas. Some are even good. :D

Tonyx
20 May 2006, 01:42 PM
Well maybe you should post a few of them, unless you already have posted most of them. I am always looking for new ideas and stats.

Kayle Skolaris
20 May 2006, 01:46 PM
Gotta get back in the creative mindset for stats 'n such. I need to 'feel it' before I can post it. I refuse to just slap some stats together without a good backstory and capsule description.

Tonyx
20 May 2006, 02:20 PM
No problem, just whenever you can get them out works for me. I look foreward to seeing what you have got.

wolverine
20 May 2006, 05:06 PM
Kayle. I am surprised i missed this all those years ago. Looking at it, i ike the concept, but feel some of the stats are outlandish... Space speed of 18. This makes this bomber faster than even a Tie Defender, add in the 3d maneuverability, and it is way out there for what a bomber should be (well imo). And lastly, the hull. Not only is it 6d, putting it up there with the HT-2200 freighter and L-19 freighter, but its hull gives it sensor masking of +30? Seems a little too much.

I would, like someone else suggested, make the sensor masking be linked to speed. Make the speed 9 or 10. Still keeps it fast, but not as fast as those ships designed for speed, like the defender, awing or interceptor.

Going at 3 or less, gives it the full+30. Going 4-6, gives it +15 and, lastly going 7+ gives it no bonus, as it is going too fast.

gmjabreson
20 May 2006, 06:07 PM
you know, it often is good to "check the archives" on things one might have missed. Unlike the Jedi Archives, the ones here "are" complete, lol.

Tonyx
20 May 2006, 06:55 PM
Yeah, the problem is it can take some time to do that too. But I agree there is a plethera of information here, we just don't always notice it.

schnarre
21 May 2006, 01:27 PM
A sci-fi XB-70, eh! To use vs the Vong perchance? ("dirty nukes" doesn't seem very heroic to employ, even as a weapon of last resort)

Perhaps an adaptation of the craft's variable wing surfaces may affect the stats in some manner (wingtips fully lowered for increased Sublight movement, maybe). 6D Hull works out for a craft of its size, though it would figure into the price tag considerably. In keeping with the Valkyrie's initial premise of getting in & out FAST, the sensor stealth could actually be toned down to say +2D-3D vs Sensors. I don't see a high Maneuverability for a High Speed Level Bomber: 1D-2D are logical. Is that a Space Speed of 18(9D 1st ed.)? Was that supposed to be 8 (4D), instead? The Hyperdrive stats look fine! With its Concussion Missle load, it could be used Tactically as well as Strategically!

It's good to see Military History buffs putting their 2 Credits worth for a worthwhile project as this one! I resisted the temptation to put Zero & Corsair fighters into the game in one campaign (I might break down in the future & do so).;)

Kayle Skolaris
21 May 2006, 04:40 PM
The Space of 18 is due to the fact that the intra-atmopheric speed is so high. One thing about the Valkyrie I wanted to retain was its incredible speed.

The sensor masking... I dunno, folks, this was five years ago, I have no idea what I was thinking back then.

When viewing this, however, keep in mind it's a SUPER WEAPON. It was designed by a post-Leia Organa Republic (or Galactic Alliance as it's apparently called) and the ideological doves who refused to build, use, or sanction super weapons for so long under Mon Mothma and Leia Organa no longer have power. Couple that with the Vong and Killik wars, and those dove factions have very little power currently as well. Indeed, I imagine being and ideological dove in this era is a great way to be accused of Peace Brigade sympathies which can be political suicide.

So keep all this in mind when looking at my humble creation. The stats are sick and wrong, and absolutely no worse than a Death Star or Sun Crusher.

Tonyx
22 May 2006, 07:29 AM
While I think that the space of 18 is a but much, you can also make it so that the atmosphere speed is higher. They don't have to correspond, as long as you a good reson for it. Anyway just my two credits.

schnarre
22 May 2006, 04:35 PM
Aye! As a high-speed super weapon, it certainly fits the criteria. A possible variant load might be a bio-genetic ordinance load tailored for races like the Vong, but otherwise benign vs other races ("Don't make us use this!").;)

A fairly conventional version of this could be the springboard for the "last resort" profile given: I recall the USAF had tried to acquire 150 XB-70s for use in reconnaissance (since it wasn't permitted to be used as the bomber it was intended to be). For a conventional version, most of the stats could be retained, or slightly lowered (probably the lower grade materials for mass production).

Certainly by comparison to the Death Star & Sun Crusher (anyone seen stats for the Galaxy Gun?), this is quite manageable. Have you been able to playtest this yet?