PDA

View Full Version : STATS: Hichwirr colony ships

wolverine
31 May 2001, 01:04 PM
The Hichwirr colony ships were devised by the Vodooni, in co-operation with several other races native to their home planet. Back long before the events with The planet Naboo, several large asteroids were heading on a ‘believed’ collision course with the planet, so the elders thought to save as many as they could of their race, by sending them out on specially made colony ships. They were sent out over the space of 3 months, and the rest of the planet, rigged for a long wait, underground.

The Hichwirr colony ship
Type: Caparthic Colony ship Model X5-rrt53
scale: Capital
length: 184m
skill: Cap ship piloting
Crew: 32, skel 14. When set to remote, has droid brain run.
Passengers: 300
Cargo: 40 metric tons
Space speed: 4
Mass drive: 13.5 times light
Back up mass drive: 4 times light
Nav comp: yes
Consumables: 20 standard years, but with all but the crew in cryo-animation, can be extended to 60 years
Cost: No longer available for sale, 2,450,000 used.
Atmospheric speed: 250,800kmh
manuverability: 1D
Hull: 4D+2
Shields: 2D
Sensors:
Passive 30/1D Scan 60/2D Search 90/2D+2 Focus 15/3D+1

Weapons:
4 twin turbolasers
arc fwd x2, 1 port and 1 stbd
crew 1
f.cont 2D
Scale: Cap
range: 3/10/20
Damage: 5D

8 Di-polar disruptors
Arc: 2 in each arc
Crew: 1
Scale: Star fighter
F. Cont: 3D
Range: 5/10/15
Damage: 4D+2 ionisation

The Droid brain of each of these ships has an effective 7D for Cap ship pilot, sensors, astrog and shields, and 4D for gunnery. The ship has 300 cryp-stasis tubes for it’s passengers….

Deck
31 May 2001, 01:27 PM
<p align=justify>A nice starship design, Wolverine. And especially interesting when you can remember the original race, posted on the Holonet several months ago. The relation of cargo capacity/passengers/consumables seems to be quite balanced. Most of the cargo space will be used for the consumables I think, what is pretty good reflected in the stats.
Here are some further comments:

<b>Mass Drive:</b> This seems to be a system comparable to the standard Hyperdrive technology. However, could you please give us some hints regarding its speed, please? How do I calculate "13.5 times light" into common hyperspace speed when I intend to use this ship in an adventure?

<b>Cost:</b> Did they really sell their vessel to others? Yet, the price looks fair.

<b>Sensors:</b> You could even make the a little bit more powerful. The colonists must make a good choice for their new home and therefore need excellent sensors.

Quite capable droid brain, by the way! Its skills are better than most of the common navy captains have.

OK, enough rumbling for now. Nice design, Wolverine! :)</p>

Chris Curtis
31 May 2001, 03:26 PM
Very interesting idea, wolverine. Deck already voiced most of the comments I would have made except for one:

The number of colonists seems incredibly low for a vessel whose intended purpose was to safeguard a civilization that believed it's home planet was going to become uninhabitable.

I would have expected the number of "passengers" to number at least in the thousands. After all, you want to make sure that you have a broad enough genetic base to reestablish an entire civilization.

Chris Curtis
31 May 2001, 03:58 PM
While I really don't remember anything about this "Vodooni" species, I figured I might as well try to come up with how I might do a colony ship. Information in the capsule at the bottom may not actually apply to the species in question, but I'm putting it in to make my idea work.

Model: Eden-class Colony Ship
Type: Interstellar Colony Ship
Scale: Capital
Length: 7520 m
Skill: Cap Ship Piloting
Crew: 12, with computer administrator
Passengers: 15500
Cargo: 300,000 metric tons
Space: 1 ( * special, see below)
Atmospheric Speed: N/A
Hyperdrive: None
Consumables: Indefinite; the Colony Ship is essentially self-sustaining for several centuries.
Cost: NAFS
Maneuverability: 0D
Hull: 12D
Shields: 0D
Sensors:
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Passive: 500/5D
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Scan: 800/6D
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Search: 1500/8D
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Focus: 100/10D

* While the Space is set at 1, this is meant to represent an acceleration, not top velocity. Since the vessel lacks a hyperdrive, it accelerates continuously until half-way through the voyage. At this point, the ship begins decelerating at the same rate. During a voyage, the ship can reach upwards of 90% the speed of light.

Capsule: When the Vodooni astronomers first detected several massive asteroids on a collosion course with their planet, the species had already been actively pursuing space travel for nearly a century, but were still using slower-than-light methods of travel. While the impending asteroids were still several decades aways, they were of such unprecedented size that there would be no conceivable way to avert their impact. Clearly, the species had to survive, even if the home planet were doomed.

After several years of research and design, the planetary governing body unveiled its plan. It would be an undertaking of monumental proportions, but the planet had no other choice. A few decades earlier, several very mineral-rich asteroids had been towed into high orbit around the planet to be used for their resources. The new plan was to finish hollowing out these asteroids and turn them into gigantic colony ships.

Work was quickly commenced and proceeded at a frenetic pace. Within only years, each of the asteroids, all several kilometers in diameter, had been hollowed out. Massive ion drives were fitted to one end of each rock, while life-support equipment, shuttle hanger bays, cargo storage, control rooms, and a myriad of other features were added both inside and outside of each asteroid. Each asteroid was outfitted with all of the equipment and resources it would need to remain self-sufficient for several centuries.

Once construction was finished on the Eden-class colony ships, the engineers began them rotating around their long axis to create a simulated gravity field for the colonists. An atmosphere was introduced and the interior surface of the asteroid was terraformed with rivers, lakes, forests, and more. Residences, offices, and everything else that would be required was built and rechecked.

Finally, the chosen colonists were loaded onto each ship along with genetic samples of as many plants and animals as could be found. These few vessels would be the species' last hope to carry on. Once they reached a suitable destination, they would use all the equipment locked away in storage to begin a new world.

wolverine
31 May 2001, 10:25 PM
Well, deck, the Mass drives 13.5 would be comparable to a X4 or maybe even X5 hyperdrive, wile the b/u would be X12, X13 or so. THE main difference between mass and hyper's is that the Mass drive CAN WORK IN A GRAVITY FIELD or near one.

Cost; The reason there is a cost listing, is that sometime after Naboo, roughly 3 of these ships 'landed' o several planets, and as the occupants have no more need for them, they wished to sell them. Also a few were captured while most of the passengers were in cryo sleep..........

Chris, the main reason for the low number of passengers, is because of the SPACE REQUIRED FOR all those damn cryo tubes(and the support equipment). Also they made over 2000 of them and sent them off in different directions (for those who have seen that movie mission to mars, kinda like what they did).

BTW liked the asteroid colony hsip thought. Brings back memories of my world ship from last year....

Farliner
1 June 2001, 01:47 AM
Design looks OK, although the name Hichwirr more reminds me of Ssi-ruuk names for their ships

Deck
1 June 2001, 02:56 AM
<p align=justify>I have another question, Wolverine. The colonists are in stasis while the ship travels through the Galaxy, right? Then we only have a crew of 32 left. The consumables that are on board, are they intended for the 32-men crew of the ship? IN this case the ship could travel across the whole Galaxy. Or are these consumables for the new colony that is going to be founded? This would make sense. Once landed, the colonists would still have enough consumables to survive several years, before they are able plant their own food.

They will also need plants, building material, droids and vehicles to successfully run a colony. If you reduce the consumables to, let's say, 10 years (That's still plenty enough!), you will have enough cargo space left which you can use for the materials and vehicles.

:)</p>

wolverine
2 June 2001, 03:37 AM
A mixture of both. 4 of the years worth are for the 'crew' while the rest include power for the cryo tubes and supplies for the colony group when they reach their destination...

wolverine
11 October 2005, 06:58 PM
It has been a long while since this thread saw some views...

Any of our new members have thoughts on this??