PDA

View Full Version : Luke's first lightsaber

king_watto
19 May 2006, 04:56 PM
Ok, remeber in A New Hope, when Obi-Wan and Luke are at his place because of the Tusken Raders. Then Obi-Wan presents him with the lightsaber "his father wanted him to have when he was old enough". Did Obi-Wan make this up, and give him his old lightsaber? Or is something funky going on....

boccelounge
19 May 2006, 05:55 PM
Obi-Wan, as is his wont, embellished the truth, bending it (for young Luke's benefit) to a "certain point of view."

First, the lightsaber presented to Luke was most certainly Anakin's. It was the 'saber Anakin used throughout Episode III-- including in the climatic battle on Mustafar. This was meant to evident, since they used an identical prop-lightsaber... and just to be sure, there's a clear shot of Obi-Wan picking up the 'saber when he leaves Vader to die on the lava hill.

Second... Ben might have been lying when he said that Luke's father "wanted [him] to have it." He may just have made this up, as a kindness to a kid with a lot of potential but not yet enough grit to deal with the truth about his father...

But it's also possible that Obi-Wan was not really lying. He was not only an accomplished Jedi, with a powerful ability to read other's thoughts and feelings, he was also a very close friend to Anakin. Once he learned that Padme was pregnant, Obi-Wan may have sensed that Anakin wanted the child to follow in its father's footsteps... or at least made a well-informed guess.

Either way, the Ben-Luke-lightsaber conversation is very interesting, very cool, and, IMHO, one of the best symbolical moments of the saga. :)

Ardent
19 May 2006, 08:33 PM
It may have been a bit of foreshadowing on Ben's part to tell Luke that his father wanted him to have the lightsaber. Anakin wanted to be saved, and Luke needed the lightsaber to do so after a manner...

But it is only what you make of it.

Mack Jace
20 May 2006, 05:22 AM
I think that it would probably be along the lines of what bocce said, although I don't think it's straight out lying or telling the truth. It's probably somewhere in the middle. A little bit of mind-reading/emotion sensing, and a little bit of embellishment for taste.:D

And bocce, I agree with you with that scene being extremely symbolic.

king_watto
20 May 2006, 06:15 AM
Ya. I like the way they conect things together. For example, seeing the plans for the death star in TCW, and seeing it being built at the end of ROTS. Also the way they did Anakin's face and head so it looked like it did in ROTJ. :anakin: :vader:

Ubiqtorate
24 May 2006, 08:58 AM
I see it as Obi-Wan's slight twisting of his own version of the truth. "Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough," really means "Your father would have wanted you to have this when you were old enough, if he hadn't turned into the biggest monster the galaxy has ever known and if I hadn't had to take this from him while he was writhing in pain and left for dead on Mustafar..."

gmjabreson
14 June 2006, 05:46 AM
I think of it as more along the lines of a parent to a child. "your father wanted you to have this when you are old enough". Remember, Luke was told his father was dead by both his Aunt and Uncle, as well as Obi-wan. He was trying to give something to Luke, under a good impression.

"he died about the same time as your father" Owen Lars said of Obi-Wan when asked by Luke about Obi-Wan.

"A young jedi named Darth Vader, betrayed and murdered your father" to paraphrase Obi-Wan telling Luke of his fathers "death."

How many times have our own relatives lied to us about something, especially around a funeral. Jeff Foxworthy says it best in one of his shows, "after here we'll go by the house and pick up the table and chairs, cause that's what daddy would have wanted. No, he'd have wanted you to get a job and pay momma back that money you owe her."

Tyrien
14 June 2006, 03:57 PM
He was not only an accomplished Jedi, with a powerful ability to read other's thoughts and feelings, he was also a very close friend to Anakin. Once he learned that Padme was pregnant, Obi-Wan may have sensed that Anakin wanted the child to follow in its father's footsteps... or at least made a well-informed guess.

I doubt it would take much Jedi-mind-reading. I'd say it's quite typical for a father (and mothers, too) to want his child to follow in his footsteps, or not follow in them depending on how he feels about where his life's gone. But I doubt Anakin had any regrets about choosing the Jedi path.

WookieWhomper
21 June 2006, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by king_watto
Also the way they did Anakin's face and head so it looked like it did in ROTJ. :anakin: :vader:
If by this you mean the force-spirit of Anikan, then as of the dvd release RotJ, that is actually Hayden Christiansen, GL went back and used him to replace the force-spirit so it is clearly him, rather than the short-haired, Sebastian Shaw, who was the original.

original scene (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/21/Spiritsjedi.jpg) vs. dvd release scene (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e5/Spirits.jpg)