PDA

View Full Version : New missile weapon.

wolverine
9 August 2001, 01:10 PM
Well, not a new missile weapon but just a new ammo type...

I came up with it this year at gencon after the party got into some serious 'sheite'. They got their Ghtroc hit by 5 consussion missiles, and i was feeling a little merciful. So i told them that the missiles were not exploding but just seperating and coating their ship with something that looked like a cross between chaff and Foil. I then told them (for the 3rd time) that they were heading into a strom front.

I picture the weapon like this.
If it hits (std to hit roll), roll 8D. Roll the ships hull and divide by 2, then the shields. add the 2 results and minus this from the 8d roll for the missile. The remaining is the number of 'flakes' that coat the ship. When the ship reaches a certain number of flakes (dependent on the prevailing weather conditions), a lightning bolt will hit it.
Weather: none to light
250 flakes for a 5D bolt (all damage is starfighter scale)
275 for a 6d bolt
300 for 7d
325 for 8d
350+ for 3d capital scale

Weather: moderate
150 5d
175 6d
200 7d
225 8d
250+ 4d capital scale

Weather: storm
75 5d
100 6d
125 7d
150 8d
175 4d capital scale
200 5d cap
225+ 6d cap

Well what do you think.....

Dr_Worm
9 August 2001, 01:42 PM
It's certianly creative...but it doesn't seem very all purpose. It seems like it could only be used in an atmosphere. It certianly would be quite a surprise though.

Listian: Wow Fantasia's been hit 10 times and we havn't lost a system yet. That last hull patch must have been better than I thought.

Tzar: You gotta be kidding! That patch job was so rushed it probably burned up in the atmosphere. Hey look a Storm is building.

Listian: Yea' looks bad...good thing we don't have much chance of gettin hit in a moving ship. A blast like that could knock us out of the sky faster than...

ZAP!

poor Fantasia

wolverine
9 August 2001, 03:24 PM
Precicely. It was designed as a way of 'grounding' emeny ships before they broke atmosphere and went into hyperspace.....

BTW would this type of thing, using lightning be normal damage, or Ion damage. Seeing firsthand (from the flightdeck of a carrier) what a close scrape with a l.bolt can do to a top of the line us plane, i would lean towards normal damage....

wolverine
31 March 2003, 08:24 AM
Well, time to check what the newbies to the forums think about this new missile type...

And as another question, would lightning damage ignore a ship's shields??

Vanger Chevane
31 March 2003, 04:40 PM
to make this space-based is the Surface Static Charge referenced in one of the Novels where Lando, Lobot, R2, & C-3PO get stuck inside the Vagabond.

It was speculated that it's heavy weapon system may make use of SSC built up by all starships in flight. Most ships have a damping system to avoid lightning jumping around all over the place during Fleet Ops and landings, producing an Ion-bolt-like effect.

IMHO as the depth of the "coating" increases, the more Surface Charge the effected ship builds up, until it results in a discharge. Either to the internal workings of the effected ship, or jumping to a nearby one. Firing energy weapons would add to this risk as the energy leaked by the gun would help charge the coating & possibly result in a discharge driectly to the just-fired gun. The odds of the charge arcing along the ionized path of the fired energy bolt to the "Bad Guy" would be very slim, but possible, giving the firing ship a one-time fluke "superbolt".

wolfe
1 April 2003, 12:12 AM
well as a combat pilot i have seen first hand the damage lightning does to an apache...
NOT FUN

anyway, there is mention of what a lightning discharge will do to a players vessel (no stats just storyline) in the book politics of contraband in the adventure "easy money"..
the shields do provide protection until they are disabled then the ship is S.O.L..

this weapon just isnt limited to atmospheric conditions..
as this weapon was actually designed to increase its odds of getting hit by the lightning of such and such planet...
it would also cause build up on say the nebulan bs static discharge vanes...possible overload..and would definatly have an affect in say an ion storm..or in one of the many types of nebulas ...

you might even go as far as saying a near miss with an ion weapon causes some problems, and a direct hit even worse..

or somehow the engineers managed to have the particles "charged" reversed polarity of their onboard ion weapons-

heres an interesting missile combo one tube with your particulate warhead and another tube with a conner capture net..

wolverine
1 April 2003, 04:52 AM
Don't give me nasty suggestions mate...

Crymoon
1 April 2003, 05:05 AM
Ok. I'm a newbie and not a native English speaker, and haven't played d6 for ages.. just tell me that: that missile has to get through the shields first right?
Or does it get stuck to the shields?

wolfe
1 April 2003, 08:56 AM
Awww c'mon isnt that what were supposed to do :D

as it is a kinetic (physical) weapon it would be unaffected by shields..(unless you have house rules that say differently of course)

Vanger Chevane
1 April 2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by wolfe
Awww c'mon isnt that what were supposed to do :D

as it is a kinetic (physical) weapon it would be unaffected by shields..(unless you have house rules that say differently of course)

Well, if you're adapting these stats for d20, it can be stopped by shields. but the conductive and disruptive nature of the payload may wreak havoc with shields. Creating highly conductive paths and significantly less conductive gaps could result in overloading the shields, or possibly create a weak spot or gap in heavy shields by soaking the power for that patch away into a more-transmissive network.

wolfe
1 April 2003, 07:40 PM
since this is the d6 forum and not the d20 forum i dont bother mentioning such things...as it would be mentioned there..

Vanger Chevane
2 April 2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by wolfe
since this is the d6 forum and not the d20 forum i dont bother mentioning such things...as it would be mentioned there..

A number of d6ers do use rules that allow shields to defend against both energy- and particle-based attacks. Since we're speculating how a GM can use a new weapon-type, sticking strictly to the printed rules is a bit restrictive. A good idea should be shared with all the community here, not just a limted scope.

Crymoon
2 April 2003, 10:56 PM
And although it is a d6 forum some d20 players and GM read also... :)

me eg. I always look for good ideas and don't care much for which system they were written..

wolverine
9 July 2003, 08:45 AM
After some revising, and playing around with it, here is the New version...

Well, not a new missile weapon but just a new ammo type...

I came up with it this year at gencon after the party got into some serious 'sheite'. They got their Ghtroc hit by 5 consussion missiles, and i was feeling a little merciful. So i told them that the missiles were not exploding but just seperating and coating their ship with something that looked like a cross between chaff and Foil. I then told them (for the 3rd time) that they were heading into a strom front.

I picture the weapon like this.
If it hits (std to hit roll), roll 8D. Roll the ships shields, and DOUBLE it. Minus this from the 8d roll for the missile. The remaining is the number of 'flakes' that coat the ship. When the ship reaches a certain number of flakes (dependent on the prevailing weather conditions), a lightning bolt will hit it.

275 for a 6d bolt
300 for 7d
325 for 8d

200 5d
225 6d
250 7d
275 8d
300+ 4d capital scale

Weather: Heavy
150 5d
175 6d
200 7d
225 8d
250 3d+2 Capital scale
275+ 4d+2 Capital scale

75 5d
100 6d
125 7d
150 8d
175 4d capital scale
200 5d cap
225+ 6d cap

FULONGAMER
10 July 2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Vanger Chevane

A number of d6ers do use rules that allow shields to defend against both energy- and particle-based attacks. Since we're speculating how a GM can use a new weapon-type, sticking strictly to the printed rules is a bit restrictive. A good idea should be shared with all the community here, not just a limted scope.

Depending on the Written rules you are using, Torpedoes and missiles are either completely ineffective (harmlessly repelled by shields), completely effective (entirely unaffected by shields) or have to work it out just like energy weapon fire. When the Game Rules themselves are inconsistent on this point, we as GM's have to step in and fix the problem. Personally, I feel that there is enough supporting documentation, in film, in novels, in comics, and more, to assign Torps and Missiles to the exact same category as all other weapons except Ion.

Part of the RPG problem is the shifting definition they used for shields in the first place.

First they were inviolate, and protected against all but ION attacks.
Then they were energy only, offering no protection against physical things (asteroids, missiles, proton torps)
Then they became the current badly written Hybrid. Navigational particle shielding (protection against micrometeorites and such, coupled with Combat energy shielding. Particle shielding is assumed to be always on, so intrinsic that its absence causes a -2D to Hull Base Code. (Very Trekkish, aka Structural Integrity Field, no?) And the Combat Energy Shielding that is kept off until activated for combat. There may or may not be enhancement of the Particle shielding for the duration of the Combat shielding being up, which would account for the effectiveness of shields against Torpedoes and missiles (as seen in books, games, and movies). There is also energy shielding that is ongoing during normal ship operation, against space radiation and the like.

(Before anyone goes on the Death Star argument they specified RAY shielding.)

pg. 126 of the R&E rules: "Shields come in two main varieties: particle and energy/ray shields."
"Particle shields deflect all sorts of physical objects, including asteroids, missiles, and proton torpedoes. They are used at all times, except when a ship launches fighters, missiles, or torpedoes (the shields must be dropped to allow physical objects to pass through them). When a ship lowers its particle shields, reduce its hull code by -2D. (A ship which looses its main power generator also loses its particle shields.)"
"Energy shields are normally activated only in combat, and must cover specific fire arcs to be effective in combat."

Much confusion However, was spread in this particular WEG product......
(For those who are REAL old school SWRPG'ers, you remember this line from the Original SWRPG 1st Ed.: p64 Torpedoes and Missiles.....)

"They are completely dissipated by shields. If the enemy ship successfully uses shields against the attack, the torpedo or missile attack has no effect."

In an effort to correct this perilous error (and it was one, too...such a direct contradiction to ANH)
In the Tramp Freighters Guide, it says:

"(Shields) combine the powers of both particle and ray/energy shields, and thus are equally effective against both lasers and missiles."

For myself, this is actually preferred, but unless I am the GM, I may not get to play this way, as the Rules are now different. see above.

Then some Yahoo remembered one line from SW-ANH, "The port is Ray-shielded, so you'll have to use your Proton Torpedoes...." and decided to totally reverse the original stand on SW missile weaponry and now have shields be totally Ineffective against them. (just as farfetched as the first stand)
Then WEG had to introduce a game mechanic to differentiate between shield types. And under pressure to respond to demands for a rule mechanic to reflect THIS ANH quote: "Shields on, Double Front." or "Stabilize your rear deflectors-Watch for enemy fighters..." They decided to further emasculate the Starship Combat shield, and make you Divide it to cover your arcs.

Many moons ago, we were in the midst of a heated missiles vs. shields debate when I put it as such;

"I know you are trying to relate the Death Star design flaw into this but you are out of your mind. The Death Star's "Ray Shielded" exhaust port had two things unique about its shield deployment that made the trench attack necessary."

1) The Ray Shields were powered by the Death Star's reactor, hence Death Star scale, and impossible for ANY starfighter weapon to pierce. The shield was a local device designed to protect the exhaust port from a direct assault from OUTSIDE the trench fired in, basically a perpendicular shot.

2) This leads to point two, the shield must have been projected above the actual vent port a considerable amount, but had such coverage that no direct angle for an energy weapon was available. However, a Proton torpedo has the capability to TURN A CORNER, unlike a laser. An attack down the trench allowed the fighter to get beneath the level of the shield, but necessitated the use of a guided weapon, capable of making the turn down the vent, quite clearly depicted in film.

"As far as the depicted vulnerability of the Millenium Falcon to asteroids in ESB, please note that they were on the run from a Star Destoyer. All available shield dice were obviously redirected to the rear quarter to protect against the capital scale bombardment. This is why the raw hull of the Falcon took the hit from the first asteroids they encountered."

Starfighters, capital ships, and freighters are equipped with SHIELDS, these are composed of navigational (lightweight particles and stellar radiation) and combat (both heavy duty particle(missiles) and ray shielding). The Navigational Shields are commonly referred to as the Ships Magnetic Field, which allows limited EVA with little more than a Breath Mask for protection if you stick close to the ship, like when inspecting the exterior of the ship for Mynocks in the bowels of an airless asteroid. (hmmmm...... saw that one too somewhere...)
While technically you could engage only a portion (that being either the particle or energy wavelengths) of the CombatShield system, no one in their right mind would leave themselves vulnerable to a possible alternate attack form. A ship's shields are engineered to enclose the vehicle with a barrier proof against all forms of attack (except of course, Ion). If you feel assured of the direction of an incoming attack, AND you Really REALLY need to survive it, you may redirect shield energy away from a non-threatened arc to supplement a greatly endangered one. Some or all of your shield D's and pips may be partitioned on a successful Shields roll. In this manner, you may have a Starfighter scale freighter with auxilliary power boosting the rear shields survive Multiple Capital Scale turbolaser hits from a Pursuing ISD (Now where did I get that Image?).

The Death Star 1's shields were multitudes of surface point shields over vulnerable locations (vents and bays). The arrogance of the Death Star project presupposes that the Hull of a Death star is all the physical protection you need. No one is supposed to be suicidal enough to actually attack one. Once they learned the error of their ways, even a Death Star was incapable of engaging a self-sufficient full combat shield as demonstrated by the DS2 at Endor. A *planetary* shield supplemented the DS2 like the DS1 did not have.

Now what you MAY be able to do, if the target is obliging, is target a vehicle that has sacrificed the shields of one quarter to reinforce the others. Direct your Proton Torp *around* a shield and hit an unprotected section of the hull. Otherwise, successfully deployed all-around shields are proof VS lasers, blasters, Proton Torps, Concussion Missiles, harsh language, and magnetically accelerated Nerf patties.

Nowadays, no one knows which system to use anymore. For our purposes, Shields are shields, hull is hull, and missiles fight shields and may win, or lose. Loss of the Navigational shields may cause you to lose 2d hull of your hull IF you lose main power or some such Heavily Damaged result, but Combat shields are for combat & combat is not very picky about what you get hit with.

wolverine
20 November 2003, 01:16 PM
Well revision #2. Played this out with a group over the weekend. all but 2 died when they kept on ignoring the hints i was dropping (well those flying the ship. The 2 in the gun pods who got their ass to the only escape pod survived). They got frazzled by flying into a heavy storm front to try and loose the 4 tie bombers on their ass (they had a full squadron at first but shot down 6 of the other 8, and forced 2 to flee.

If it hits (std to hit roll), roll 8D. Roll the ships shields, and Half it. Minus this from the 8d roll for the missile. The remaining is the number of 'flakes' that coat the ship. When the ship reaches a certain number of flakes (dependent on the prevailing weather conditions), a lightning bolt will hit it. It fires out of a standard concussion missile tube, but requires 900 credits worth of modifications to do so. Once the missile launcher is modified, it cannot be used to fire NORMAL concussion missiles. For 1500 credits, the modifications can be made to allow the interchangeability of the missile types.

275 for a 6d bolt
300 for 7d
325 for 8d

200 5d
225 6d
250 7d
275 8d
300+ 4d capital scale

Weather: Heavy
150 5d
175 6d
200 7d
225 8d
250 3d+2 Capital scale
275+ 4d+2 Capital scale

75 5d
100 6d
125 7d
150 8d
175 4d capital scale
200 5d cap
225+ 6d cap

This heavier version of the above missile, distributes 10d flakes, rather than the normal 8d. It can only be launched from Modified proton torp launchers. The modifications cost is 1200 credits, or for 1800 credits the launcher can be made to fire both this missile type or normal torps.

As to how the flackes coat the ship, prior to the warhead being loaded into the launcher, the ships sensors scan the target ship to locate high pockets of heavy polerization. It then incudes the reverse polatiry into the flakes (which already are magnetic) so when they are flung out, by the explosion, they get drawn onto the ship. Even if they have shields up, the flakes coat them, 'waiting' to be drawn to the hull by the dropping of the shields. As they are as yet (in mu games) known about, other than for the 4 ships who have fallen victim to them, and of course the people who made them, no one knows how to defeat it.
As for how to, if the ship's mechanic can locate this 'polarity' that is attracting, and somehow reverse it (Difficult diff [17], + 1 per 5 flakes coating the ship, so if the ship has currently 120 flakes, the roll is at +24), he can force them away.

Also i could do with some help NAMING it. So far i have 2 possibilities.
The Skockinator provided by Nafai, and S.I.L.C (Static incubating lightning conductor) provided by one of those who fell victim to it.

wolverine
20 November 2003, 01:50 PM
As an example of it in action...

The fearless party, fresh from stealing the important plans for a new type of star destroyer are fleeing from the imperial base. On their tail they have a full squadron of tie fighters and one of bombers. The Imperial AOIC of the base wants the ship downed. The parties ship has a 4d+2 hull, and 3d shields.

Round one of combat: The party lost initiave, and elects to just dodge. 4 of the tie bombers are within long range, while the rest are slowly catching up. The party rolls its ship dodge, and gets a 23.
The 4 Tie pilots roll 18, 24, 29 and 22 to hit. 2 of the 4 missiles hit. The 8d is rolled for damage netting 34 and 38. The party rolls baddly, and only get's 12 and 10 respectively for the hull rolls.
At yet, they have NOT got their shields up (they have someone activating it on his action) so from the first missile, 22 flakes coat the ships hull, near the engineering section, while the second sends 28 towards the top mounted Ion cannon. Total of 50 flakes currently.
No one is in a position to see what happened, and so think the missiles were duds.
On their action, the player activating the shields fumbles the roll (1 on the wild die, locking them out (it will take 2 rounds to reset), while 2 others head to the gunwells.

Round 2: They party wins initiave, and turns towards a storm front, thinking to loose the ties. Pilot elects for a ship dodge, and a piloting check to maneuver it. Rolling a great 31 and 27 respectively (spent a CP). The tie fighters have caught up, and start to flank it. NOT YET firing.
The imperial leader of the tie bombers commands his flight in range to better enable them to hit, while his second in command does the same for the 2nd flight. They both succeed in their command rolls.
The 2 party members heading to the gunwells are now in and power them up (will be able to shoot next round, but one wisely desides to start aiming at one of the ties).
The First flight of ties (still at long range) fires, with a combined roll of 30, missing, while the second get a better result and gets a 39. The party pilot requests to spend 2 more CP on his dodge (GM allows it) but fails to get the 8 points needed to make the dodge successful.
The (now) 10D damage is rolled, and 51 (a great roll) is scored. The ships hull roll is also better than before getting a whapping 21. 30 flakes now add to the 50 from before, making 80 flakes coating it.
Both of the gunners roll their perception to see this. Neither make it.
Since the ship technically has enough flakes to call in a 5d bolt, the gm checks his plans, and decides they are still too far away (5 more rounds) so does not have one hit. But he does give a description of flashes of lightning brewing up in the clouds...
The engineer notices the shields have locked and so starts to fix it.

Round 3: The party again gets init, and elects a full dodge.
The tie captain has both flights in range combine fire, but misses. The third and last flight of bombers are now getting into range (next round they can fire at long range). The 2 gunners each shoot at a tie, dropping it from the sky.

Round 4: Goes exactly the same as round 3, but 4 more tie fighters get nocked out, and a 5th is damaged. The engineer gets the shields fixed and locked into the rear arc.

Round 5: Flights 1 and 2 of the bombers now are at medium range, and the party are 3 more rounds away from the storm front. They loose initiave. The remaining tie fighters shoot at (commanded) the top gun turret, but make a dismal effort at it (sucky roll).
While the 2 flights (again commanded) shoot again. This time they hit. The damage is a mighty 70 from the 12D (8d +4d from 8 ships being combined). The hull roll is only 19, but the shields get 16 (which when halfed is 8) and so their 'soak total' is 27. The pilot opts to spend 2 CP (Gm allows it) on the hull roll, increasing it to 43 (lucky #6!) So a total of 27 more flakes coat the ship, bringing the tally to 107. One of the gunners makes his perception roll and notifies the rest of the party.

Round 6: They party again get's the init, and so the pilot decides NOT to dodge, but spends a FP to try and get the ship closer to the storm front. He makes the diff easily, knocking all the tie bombers back to long range. When they shoot, they miss (the co failed his command).

Round 7: They are 1 round away from the clouds now, and start to get worried at all the flashing of lightning in the storm front. They loose init, and get a sucky 8 on their dodge. The bombers easily hit and get 90 for their combined damage. The hull roll nets 22, while the shields net 10 (halfed to 5) for a grand total of 27. 63 flakes now attach, bring the tally to 170. The GM checks his chart, and sees they are more than close enough for a bolt to hit. He rolls 8D for the lightning bolt, while the party (wondering what the heck happened gets a combined 30 on their hull and shields roll. The damage from the lightning bolt shuts down 2 systems, the pilot rolls randomly, and gets the nav comp (no biggy at the moment), but his second system affected is the main power generator!!!!!!!!!
Screams errupt from the party as the ship dies out, and starts to lazily fly towards the ground.......

Vash Knives
20 November 2003, 03:23 PM
Magnetically accelerated Nerf patties???WTF???

Tav Kord
20 November 2003, 05:50 PM
Static Discharge Inducing Particulate (SDIP)

Referred to by those that use/know about them as either "Ess Dips" or just "Dips".

"Gold squadron this is Gold Lead... target the fleeing vessel with dips and fire on my mark... mark!"

Alternatively, crews could affectionately refer to the torpedoes/missiles as "lightning rods".

"Let's stick them with a few lightning rods and see how they like it..."

stunnedtodeath
23 November 2003, 12:37 PM
As a quick side note, another thread in the Discussion Forums bemoans the lack of veterans on the forums. One quick glance in D6 shows me that you all are here and posting great stuff!
Going past the debate of missles and sheilds for a bit remember in one of the Thrawn triliogies that a tractor beam (from ground ops) can shape these static particles into a layers as a sort of area denial defense.
One quick question for ya'll. Assume a squadron has flown through a cload of particles and is in a tight formation (for whatever reason). One ship then is hit with an ion bolt or lightning. Does the hit or effect have to pass to the rest of the group? Does the rest of the squadron have time to react or is the damage to all instant?

Vanger Chevane
24 November 2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by stunnedtodeath
As a quick side note, another thread in the Discussion Forums bemoans the lack of veterans on the forums. One quick glance in D6 shows me that you all are here and posting great stuff!
Going past the debate of missles and sheilds for a bit remember in one of the Thrawn triliogies that a tractor beam (from ground ops) can shape these static particles into a layers as a sort of area denial defense.
One quick question for ya'll. Assume a squadron has flown through a cload of particles and is in a tight formation (for whatever reason). One ship then is hit with an ion bolt or lightning. Does the hit or effect have to pass to the rest of the group? Does the rest of the squadron have time to react or is the damage to all instant?

Depends on how tight the fomation is. Empty space is tougher than dry air to arc across unless some "leftover" flakes, nebular gases, etc. are helping bridge the gap.

If you have a way for the energy to travel, the ship that takes the hit would suffer a somewhat reduced damage, with the rest jumping from ship to ship kinda like chain-lightning.

For Example, we've a squadron in close formation covered with SDIP, some flakes are drifting away from each ship, providing a relatively easy path from ship to ship.

The ship targeted by some Ion Gunner is hit, takes 60% (adjust per GM preference) of the damage, passing 40% among all ships immediatley next to it.

These secondary hits do a certain fraction of the damage to the ship itself, and passes along the rest to any nearby ships that haven't already been hit or had their Damper Systems effectively cancel out the strike (like charges repel).

Any ship that has nobody unhurt next to them available to pass along part of the charge takes full damage.

At some point the full damage will have either been soaked by someone in the squadron, or reduced to a level where it's negligible (arcs around a bit but does no real damage).

In addition, each ship with a damaged/destryed damper will develop a certain amount of Surface Charge per round of flight, making recovery and/or landing that much more dangerous to the ship and wherever it lands if not grounded out beforehand (like the Grounding Rod and procedure for helicopter sling-lifts).

A successfull damping reduces the ship's charge to zero, making it the primary target for any secondary/follow-on hits.

By the Numbers: Let's presume the squadron is organized by flights.

Nine takes a 100-point Ion Cannon shot, and takes 60 points of damage, blowing out the damper system.

Ten, Eleven, and Twelve each get hit with a 13-point Secondary Ion Bolt.

Nine now has a 60-point Surface Charge and will repel any Ion Damage up to 60 Points.

A second 100-point hit would result in Nine taking an additional 40 points of damage (plus whatever was soaked by the damper before it failed) & diffusing the rest into 20-point Ion Bolts jumping to Ten, Eleven, and Twelve, provided they're still close by.

If Nine is off by himself, he takes the full damage.

Let's say Eleven's Damper managed to soak 10 more points of the first strike then Ten and Twelve did . This makes the Secondaries coming from the 2nd hit on Nine 30 points jumping to Eleven, 15 to Ten and Twelve.

End dissertation.

Sensible? Opinions?

stunnedtodeath
24 November 2003, 06:41 PM
Thanks Vengar, great post. I think any starfighters that survive will have serious trouble with their astromechs! 8o

wolverine
25 November 2003, 06:54 AM
Evil thoughts brew.. I actually never considered having this against close in squadron formations.... Thank you for making my day!

wolverine
25 November 2003, 12:29 PM
I have been thinking of a few anacronyms for this missle.

Dedicated Electrical Collector and Director (DECD)

Static Electrical Dedicated Director (SEDD)

Direct Ionic Charge Gathering Device (DICGD)..

?

Vanger Chevane
25 November 2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by wolverine
I have been thinking of a few anacronyms for this missle.

Dedicated Electrical Collector and Director (DECD)

Static Electrical Dedicated Director (SEDD)

Direct Ionic Charge Gathering Device (DICGD)..

?

Realistically it's a spin on basic Chaff, but whatever you want to call it, it's unusual & effective enough that I think you should work on some Surface Static Charge rules for having to fly for a while coated with the stuff, and have someone work up a d20 conversion so the entire package can be formally submitted.

SSC is particularly nasty. Imagine the damage done to your Friendly Neighborhood Capship when a squadron coated with SDIP/whatever comes in to land and each snubbie delivers a sizable lightning/ion bolt to the landing bay/hull...

Quick Edit: Forgot to consider that if the flakes are all charged with the same polarity, there is a chance they could leap off the ship, or a sharp comander could deploy them in space then hit the cloud with Ion Guns to create a temporary effect like an Ion Storm. Fly into it & get zapped. Due to the Mutual Repulsion, the cloud would dissipate rather quickly on its own.

There's also the possibiity of charged particles "flaking off" over time, making a relatively easy trail for a Sensor Officer to follow...

wolverine
10 September 2004, 12:58 AM
Just thought i would let everyone know i decided on the SPID name...

wolfe
26 September 2004, 10:30 PM
since you joined the uber resurect the dead thread club..

thought i'd ask this since this is all pertaining to regular lightning.
what would you think the affects be with the latest understandings of mega lightning?

the positive charge is reportedly 10x more damaging than the regular neg charged lightning..
and with your attractant payload here..ow..
reason brought this up is our group was watching a documentary on it recently..

then saw this dead thread resurrected.. so got to wondering..

wolverine
24 January 2005, 03:58 AM
Well. My turn to ask for more inputs. Had someone who games with my brother ask to use this for his starwasr game. After it was done, he sent me an email. The gist of his comments/questions are..

1) Since the particulates ignore half shields, but according to your description there is no hull, even though in the example there IS, i am wondering what gives.

My response is to thank him for noticing that mistake. I will correct it.

2) In the example, the GM decided that the ship was too far away for a bolt, even though there was enough particles. How's about making a chart (by the side). 2D6 for the roll.. Starts off at needing a 2-3 to 'call the lightning bolt, and as the number of flakes on the ship increases, so does the lightning bolt call chance.

My response is to turf that to you all.. DO you think his suggestion is good? If so, would 'each weather column' have it's own 2d6 chart to roll for? (see attached...)

3) You seemed to ask, but no one answered. Is lightning damage normal or Ion?

My response, was 'that depends'. A near miss (or low damage bolt) could be considered ion only. But for the most part i would call it FULL damage. What say you all?

wolverine
10 June 2008, 02:55 PM
Latest revision to the write up.

Edit to the DIPD missile.

And lastly a new missile type.
D.I.P.D (Dedicated Ionization Particle Director)
This new missile type came about during the early rebellion, but due to the acts of several brave Rebels, it did not get into mass production. Only about 400 ever made it off planet, but whether the plans did, is unknown. If a missile hits (std to hit roll), roll 8D. The targeted ship rolls hull and half their shields rating. They subtract this total from what the 8d gets. The remaining is the number of 'flakes' that coat the ship. When the ship reaches a certain number of flakes (dependent on the prevailing weather conditions), a lightning bolt stands a great chance of hitting it. For each round within or near the prevalant weather conditions, AND at or above the minimum flake level needed to summon a bolt, roll 2d. On a 11 or above the first round a bolt will strike the ship, causing the listed damage. Each additional round the 'target number' to call in a bolt of lightning drops by 1. The damage that is dealt is akin to ion damage but unlike regular ion weaponry, systems shutdown are shut down until replaced due to the electronics within it frying.
It fires out of a standard concussion missile tube, but requires 900 credits worth of modifications to do so. Once the missile launcher is modified, it cannot be used to fire NORMAL concussion missiles. For 1500 credits, the modifications can be made to allow the interchangeability of the missile types.