PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
9 August 2001, 03:30 PM
Is it just me, or are all the funniest shows animated? The Simpsons, Futarama, The Critic, Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, etc... Maybe I watch the wrong T.V. channels or something...

Wileama
9 August 2001, 05:52 PM
oh and yes of course they are. Why? there are some many reasons reason. One slap stick comedy is so much easier. Lets take the simpsons. Remeber the episode where side show bob and his brother build a damn? Remeber when side show bob falls with bar at the end. And the horrible pain sideshow bob recives. Another reason. Animited tend in this country to be kid shows. Those tend to be funny. It's just practice

BRodgers
10 August 2001, 04:28 AM
Animated shows nd sketch comedy are my shows of choice..."The Kids in the Hall" is the funniest thing to hit t.v. since the old "SCTV" show. Man, am I showing my age now?:D

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
11 August 2001, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by BRodgers
"The Kids in the Hall" is the funniest thing to hit t.v

Something about cross dressing canadians that I don't find that funny... :)

BRodgers
11 August 2001, 01:16 PM
Go see em in person G, you'll change your mind.....

Nova Spice
11 August 2001, 03:00 PM
Am I missing something here, cause I live in Alabama???

BRodgers
11 August 2001, 03:04 PM
Hey man, I live in Indiana, home of cornfields and uh...well, just cornfields.:D

Tao
11 August 2001, 05:18 PM
"The Kids in the Hall" is the funniest thing to hit t.v. since the old "SCTV" show.

Ahh.... but does anyone even remember another classic skit comedy on Mtv, that went by the assumed name of 'the State'. Really, tv hasn't progressed past that plateau as far as I'm concerned. That and the Clerks cartoon, which was mercilessly cancelled after just two short episodes. (But they do have all the unreleased episodes on DVD, so hurray for technology.) Funny, though, all my favorite shows seem to get cancelled...

Nova Spice
11 August 2001, 05:56 PM
Shouldn't that tell you something, Tao??? :D

Tao
11 August 2001, 06:04 PM
Yes... it tells me that I am a unique and beautiful snowflake, Nova.

BRodgers
11 August 2001, 07:28 PM
Very true Tao,
actually I have the Clerks DVD and it IS one of the funniest things I've seen. The fact that only 2 of the 6 episodes ever made it on tv is proof that ABC has absolutely no taste whatsoever....along with 98% of the American public.

:D

Zethnar
12 August 2001, 07:49 AM
Anyone ever see the Young Ones?

(Cmon ya must have, its a classic!)

Tao
12 August 2001, 09:41 AM
Very true Tao,
actually I have the Clerks DVD and it IS one of the funniest things I've seen. The fact that only 2 of the 6 episodes ever made it on tv is proof that ABC has absolutely no taste whatsoever....along with 98% of the American public.

Finally, someone with a decent sense of humor... I thought I was the only one BR, really. And remember... Nothing can kill the Grimace.

The Admiral
12 August 2001, 03:52 PM
Kids in the Hall was, IMHO, very funny indeed.

But, there are other live comedy shows that give even Futurama a run for it's money,,,
Sveral of these may not have made it across the Pond,,,

As mentioned before:
The Young Ones: "Gah! Fantastic! Exploding bricks!"
Fawlty Towers: "Don't mention the war, I did once, but I think I got away with it!"
The League of Gentlemen: "Now then now then, what's all this shouting?! This is a decent town and a local shop, for local people, we'll have no TROUBLE here!"
Father Ted: "Now, Dougal, y'see, this cow is very small, and THAT cow, is very far way, do you get it now?"
BlackAdder: "Well, this is a pickle, Perce, when the Queen finds that head, someone will be for the chop. You or me in fact. Well, Perce, let's face facts; it's you."
3rd Rock: "We hit it and hit it and hit it and it just wouldn't die!"
ALF: Okay, just kidding, Alf sucked cheese,,,

I suspect that one reason why animated shows can be more funny, is that they're not constrained by reality,,,

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
12 August 2001, 04:50 PM
Haven't heard of any of those shows except 3rd rock (if that means 3rd Rock From the Sun), but I would agree that that is funny.

Zethnar
13 August 2001, 06:40 AM
Then your really missing out!

BRodgers
13 August 2001, 06:57 AM

AH I loved the young ones..Rick cracked me up...heh...

Fawlty Towers: "Don't mention the war, I did once, but I think I got away with it!"

Saw this a few times, but good luck finding it on tv inthe states. Pretty funny stuff.

The League of Gentlemen: "Now then now then, what's all this shouting?! This is a decent town and a local shop, for local people, we'll have no TROUBLE here!"

This one scared me a little...I guess you just need to get used to the dark humor.

Father Ted: "Now, Dougal, y'see, this cow is very small, and THAT cow, is very far way, do you get it now?"

Never saw this one.

BlackAdder: "Well, this is a pickle, Perce, when the Queen finds that head, someone will be for the chop. You or me in fact. Well, Perce, let's face facts; it's you."

AGain, hard to get in the states other than on video..

Yeah if it is thrid rock from the sun, that is a rpetty dang funny show. John Lithgow is genius!

ALF: Okay, just kidding, Alf sucked cheese,,,

Indeed it did...whoever at NBC programming that came up with that needed to be set on fire and thrown down stairs.

Heres a few others (probably just stateside):

Upright Citizens Brigade: Just flat out funny sketch comedy. Killed by a terrible timeslot on Comedy Central and "thick" headed American viewers.

Strangers with Candy: A take off of those "After school specials" we all used to see as kids...this time with a 46 year old crack fiend former prostitute who goes back to high school. I saw this show once, hated it...watched it again and fell in love...go figure. Killed for the same reason as Upright Citizens Brigade.

You cant have good tv around this place.

Tao
13 August 2001, 09:59 AM

Upright Citizens Brigade: Just flat out funny sketch comedy. Killed by a terrible timeslot on Comedy Central and "thick" headed American viewers.

Yes... but at least now we have battle bots... geh... no offense to anyone who likes that show, but I really only enjoyed it the very first time I saw it... and it probably had more to do with my... um, state of mind... than the actual show. Why replace a quality program like Upright Citizens with robot-style WWF? And not even the good WWF with Razor Ramone and the Macho Man... the bad fake cheesy WWF (again, no offense intended to fans or family of current WWF wrestlers.) That just doesn't seem to make sense to me...

Ziiteesh
13 August 2001, 10:40 AM
Now, I have friends who hate it and friends who think it's funny sh*t. I am in the latter category. All of the random references and totally irreverent humor just makes me laugh. Admittedly, there are times that I think they go too far, but not too often. anybody else catch it in between Fox cancelling it (now it is on its third incarnation)?

Rinisari
13 August 2001, 11:01 AM
If only there were a Monty Python T.V. Show...

BRodgers
13 August 2001, 11:03 AM
Well, lets look at it this way though....we know they have robot battles in the Star Wars universe...just view it as a little slice of that....two robots going at it till the end....BWHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHa:D

If you wanna dislike something, dislike the Battlebot rip off programs they have now, I mean, those are just saaaaaaaaaaaaaaad....at least on battlebots you occasionally see a bot get torn into 50 peices...on the others they....run through and obstacle course and push bricks....I can do that with my lawn mower at home.

Moff Neomen
13 August 2001, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Rinisari
If only there were a Monty Python T.V. Show...

You mean besides Monty Python's Flying Circus?

And you all are forgetting Japanese animation in all of this! Dragon Half? Elf Princess Rane? (Geez, talk about whacked-out...) Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl? Trigun? The Irresponsible Captain Tylor? Ranma 1/2? Urusei Yatsura? Geobreeders? Haunted Junction? Slayers? That's not even the eigth of it, it's the end of the day and my brain is DOA...

Plus, most of these have reasonable storylines to boot, not just one-shot episodes. Well, maybe not Elf Princess Rane, but that's an exception to just about EVERY rule...

Tao
13 August 2001, 02:47 PM
Trigun is definately a great show... plus some of the Lotos War are decent. Don't like the overly americanized anime though... just doesn't seem right.

Iris
14 August 2001, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by The Admiral

As mentioned before:

Don't think I've ever heard of this one.

Hysterical! Haven't seen it in ages. Maybe BBC America will pick this up eventually.

Never heard of these either.

I LOVE BLackAdder! BBC America runs about 3 hours of it every Tuesday night! I don't get to watch all of it but I manage to catch a few eps here and there.

This is another GREAT show! I think it just finished it's Prime Time run and is only in syndication now. :(

A few other hysterical shows, IMO, are:

Monty Python's Flying Circus (Currently two unedited eps a night are on BBC America (6:20-8pm EST)

Are You Being Served (I don't think this one is airing on any of my local channels currently

Red Dwarf (Was running on SciFi Channel at 9pm Fridays but I don't know if it's still being shown or not.)

Hmmm... ::Looks over the list:: Most of the comedy shows I really like to watch are British. ;) Either I have a very sick sense of humor or American humor is just 99% lame. :D

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
14 August 2001, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Iris

Either I have a very sick sense of humor or American humor is just 99% lame. :D

It's definitely you, because Amercian comedy kicks ass (once you get through the toilet humor) :D .

Emperor Xanderich II
15 August 2001, 07:34 AM
I love the Fast Show,

"Me? The 13th Duke of Wimbourne? In a student nurse's hall of residence at three in the morning? With my reputation? ... Bingo!"

"You don't need to hold on quite so tightly sorr."

"This week I will be mostly wearing... a thong."

Black Adder too,

George: Sir, just one thing. If we should happen to tread on a mine, what do we do?
Edmund: Well, normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet into the air and scatter yourself over a wide area

Silencer
17 August 2001, 12:37 PM
I saw Battlebots once - compared to the British version its rubbish. Robot Wars is a lot better, even though the American one came first apparently.

Though the presenter can be slightly annoying, the Robots and fights are better... even the arena is more atmospheric. The one episode I saw of Battlebots had only two fights I think, it some dull rectangle with plastic safety walls.

My personal favourite is Razor... its got one of the most powerful crushing claw weapons ever, its just brought down by its technical problems.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
17 August 2001, 05:24 PM
Battlebots has 4 fights in an episode and their arena is filled with traps and stuffin's, if only they could drop that half-WWF attitude. :(

BRodgers
17 August 2001, 05:49 PM
Actually Battlebots is now on for an hour in the states, and is showcasing up to 7 matches per show.

In addition they have increased the damage the "hazards" do (the in house traps, etc.)

Its not the same show it was when it first came on. For those of you who havent seen it since its first season I suggest checking it out again (if you have the intial interest that is). A lot of newcomers have enered their bots, and some are pretty impressive.

just my two cents anyway.:D

Slavan K. Guiser
19 August 2001, 11:22 PM
Battlebots?!?!?! What a load of CRAP!!! They're not even real robots!!! They're just beefed up (Albeit powerful, destrcutive) R/C cars!!!

As for humor, Anime definitely has some awesome stuff!! Adventures of Mini-Goddess (Fan-subbed only), is hilarious just for stupid, funny gags. The "Lodoss Island" after the TV version of Lodoss War is just hilarious! Trigun is riotous, Slayers downright silly, Martian Successor Nadesico a total parody of Neon Genesis Evangelion, It just doesn't end!!

I think success of the animated films in comedy is due to the fact that the facial expressions and sight gags tend to be more exaggerated!

Slavan

Tao
19 August 2001, 11:31 PM
Lodoss island is quite possibly the FUNNIEST thing I have ever watched. I have about ten episodes of RotLW on tape and I mostly watch the endings just to see the ridiculous little cartoon. The first episode was the best one though... Also, just a question, but does anyone know if there is more than one version. I have only seen one (with P-P-Parn, Deedlit, the Berserker, Cecil, and others) but my freind (who has spent many a rainy day laughing till we cried at Lodoss) bought the full dvd and the story and background were apparently WAY different.

Slavan K. Guiser
19 August 2001, 11:46 PM
Okay, here's you're problem. There are two different series of Record of Lodoss War.

The one with the Chibi part at the end is known as Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight. It has been released on DVD and Video. However, this is the sequel to the original Record of Lodoss War, which you're friend must have bought.

The other one, which is actually the first, documents the tales of the young Parn, Etoh (who was not originally the King of Valis), Deedlit, Ghim (who isn't mentioned in the second series), Slayn, Leylia, and Niese (the old one who dies). Oh, and Karla the Grey Witch was originally a thief named Woodchuck. He got possessed.

To really understand the Chronicles of the Heroic Knight, I'd recommend watching the original you're friend bought. Only a few elements have changed from the first to the second. They are:

1. The events involving the Red Dragon (Shooting Star) and FireDragon mountain (i.e. Ashram and Pirotess die) is basically ignored.

2. The Scepter of Domination is stored with Shooting Star rather than with Narse (The Black Dragon I believe).

Other than that, the story line is fairly consistant! Just a happy explanation for you Tao!

Slavan

BRodgers
20 August 2001, 04:51 AM
They're not even real robots!!!

Well, if the contestants on Battlebots arent "real robots" then I guess the things on Robot Wars arent either. I mean, unless there is some major difference, thay are ALL EXACTLY THE SAME (albeit with different designs).

I've seen both shows, and while I know a lot of people enjoy Robot Wars, the version Ive seen is about as exciting as watching paint peel. To each his own I say, but just because you like one over the other only means that to YOU its a better show...obviously enough people enjoy Battlebots, since it is in its second season and getting worldwide attention.

But again, just because you dont agree with someone's opinion isnt any reason to degrade and insult what they enjoy. Unless you are intending to come off as disrespectful and immature.

Emperor Xanderich II
22 August 2001, 10:38 AM
Whoa, lets start no flaming.

I just watch Robot Wars to laugh at the really pants ones go up in flames, heh heh, then see the little kid who's it was cry. I'm mean, and a thug, but hey...;)

Here's a classic- Only Fools and Horses. David Jason is great!!

BRodgers
22 August 2001, 10:41 AM
I agree, everyone should be respectful, even if you do disagree with someone else.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
24 August 2001, 10:38 PM
Geez, you people sound like Jon Stewart, with the constant battlebot bashing! :D

BTW: The daily show is one of the funniest things ever!!

manetherindrelle
25 August 2001, 04:03 AM
Alls I gotta say is that battlebots is the better of the two shows, anyone who thinks that robots battling head to head is A whole lot better then them facing a bunch of Obstacle courses and a dinky R/C race course.:raised:

anyone with half a brain could make a robot capable of whizzing through those obstacles without missing a beat, but the battlebots show give more of a challange and sticks to the main Idea, Robots going head to head.

Its also disgusting because those courses require more robot skills, and not Player skills, I saw the robot wars with killer hertz, and he whooped everyone, but when he went on the first year, he didnt do very good, simply because he depended on his robots power, which helped, but he was out matched many times, even though not by much. Killer hertz and her team are great and proved their worth in later seasons.

manetherindrelle
25 August 2001, 04:09 AM
Im sorry if I insulted anyone, but I has to say something!

I respect Robot wars, but it doesnt hold a candle to Battlebots.

(It has NOTHING to do withthe fact its british)

By the way british comedy is the BEST!

including Keeping up appearances, Bean, Monty Python.
Etc.

Slavan K. Guiser
25 August 2001, 08:22 AM
BEAN RULES!!!! You go Mandarin!

As for Battlebots, haven't seen it. I hardly ever see anything British. . .

Slavan

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
25 August 2001, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Slavan K. Guiser

As for Battlebots, haven't seen it. I hardly ever see anything British. . .

Dude, Battlebots isn't british, it's broadcasted from Las Vegas and it's on Comedy Central.

manetherindrelle
27 August 2001, 03:09 AM
yes, exactly.

ROBT WARS was british, but it moved to the US. (they now have a new whole series on TNT, with mick foley.)

its the only british show I wont watch. :(

Danan Valos
8 November 2002, 12:38 PM
The best shows have got to be Trigun, Bean, Fawlty Towers, Monty Python's Flying Circus, and Red Dwarf, but not in that particular order.:D

Rogue Janson
8 November 2002, 02:11 PM
oh, we have all the best non-animated comedy programmes here. Oh yes, makes me feel superior for a change. And very useful they are for disturbing the Americans that live with us.

Just finished this week - The Office. I missed the first series, but saw a large part of the second and it is truly fantastic, really one of the best observed comedy series I've ever seen. And the League of Gentlemen is without a doubt on of the most disturbing things I've ever seen on television. And Brass Eye, brilliant and dangerous satire.

Apparently you Americans don't have Spike Milligan either (well, I suppose neither do we after he died...), so you're missing out on one of the greatest comedy talents of the (last) century.