PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use the AT-AT?

Sithspawn
23 November 2007, 01:23 AM
It's been bugging me that my AT-AT just sits on my shelf gathering dust. The biggest problem being that it's only really a scenario piece, but we don't play scenario's :(

I know there's a thread over on WOTC about the AT-AT, but I thought I'd open up the discussion to the mature members of the RPGing/SWMing community :D

My idea's on making the AT-AT playable.

AT-AT Driver (from FU) gains the ability AT-AT Driver - if within two squares of the AT-AT the AT-AT may spend a move action to move 1 square backwards or sideways.

AT-AT gains Massive (like the DDM Colossal Red Dragon) - ignores walls when moving, can end it's move in a wall.

To balance the above change DR20 to DR20 save 11, on a failed save it only has DR10.

gmjabreson
23 November 2007, 03:53 AM
I think the biggest problem of playing the AT-AT against people, is that there are very few things out there that people can get ahold of that would deal damage to it. Face it, the AT-AT is an "Army Killer" vehicle, meaning it can decimate an army by itself.

TJ and I were talking about this in yahoo. We came up with a "suitable solution" within the Mini's games, but that would mean an entire new set by Wizards......

Stratos
23 November 2007, 05:09 AM
I don't use the AT-AT for anything. It seems to me that TU has plenty of Hoth-specific minis to help take down an AT-AT... especially the turret and another Snowspeeder.

Sithspawn
23 November 2007, 09:10 AM
The turret can't actually damage the AT-AT as it only does 20 damage.

But that's not to say the AT-AT isn't vunerable. Enraged Chewie ignores DR, as do Lightsaber's. The twice I've played the AT-AT Jedi just cut it down in a few rounds!

Sithspawn
27 November 2007, 01:14 AM
Latest AT-AT ruling.

I don't know if any of you check the WOTC SWM Rules forum, but here's a good one.

Golan Turret has Emplacement, it cannot be moved by any special abilities CE's, anything.

AT-AT has Stomp, it can Stomp huge or smaller by entering their square. If they fail the save they're destroyed, if they make it they move adjacent to the AT-AT.

You can see where this is heading. Two conflicting SA's.

The answer,

The turret is unaffected by the repositioning from Stomp as it cannot be repositioned.

If this results in an awkward situation on the map, you just have to deal with it somehow.

Am I the only one who finds that a bit whacked?
"Just have to deal with it." That's an official answer!
The Turrent was surely made for scenario play with the AT-AT and they haven't even thought about how they interact with one another.

I'm just going to play it that the AT-AT cannot enter the Turret space if the Turret makes the save.

Stratos
27 November 2007, 03:21 AM
t is totally messed up! Yay WoTC!

Here's what I would suggest. The Golan doesn't have a "basement" or "foundation" so... rather than saying it's "moved" - say the ground around it (ice) is disturbed enough by the stomp that it "slides" over one or two squares out from under the AT-AT base.

No, I don't visit Gleemax much... too many babies there. I always seem to subscribe to the thread where everyone is pissing on everyone and I get the most wet. It's why I like the Holonet.

Sithspawn
27 November 2007, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by Stratos
No, I don't visit Gleemax much... too many babies there. I always seem to subscribe to the thread where everyone is pissing on everyone and I get the most wet. It's why I like the Holonet. [/B]
I so agree :)

cheshire
27 November 2007, 12:03 PM
In the midst of the complaining about the SECR coming back from the printers two weeks late there was a guy in there who was practically crying about how his civil rights were violated. He said something about WotC being contractually obligated to provide the consumers with the book by the releast date.

I nearly replied to him with just a big long, "WAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

I decided not to get banned and kept my mouth shut.

Thomas
27 November 2007, 07:38 PM
there's a couple new minis in Force Unleashed that will cut the AT-AT down to size pretty darn quickly: the Rebel Vanguard gains Missiles 30 (which I assume means that his missiles do 30 points of damage) which should cut the AT-AT down in minutes if you have two or three of these guys working together. Also the Luke Skywalker, Hoth Pilot Unleashed is specifically designed to be a walker killer. Not sure if you can actually jury rig the rules to let the starship minis be used in normal minis games but in pretty much any Star Wars book I've read, a single X-wing or the Millenium Falcon can drop an AT-AT in nearly one shot with a concussion missile or proton torpedo.

Jame
5 December 2007, 02:46 PM
The main reason I want an AT-AT is for roleplaying purposes.

Thomas
5 December 2007, 07:55 PM
that's pretty much the reason I plan on using it, that and it looks pretty cool on my shelf.

gmjabreson
6 December 2007, 01:49 AM
yeah, it does look pretty good on a shelf. I have mine set up on a table in front of my stuff in the basement, with the rest of my mini's. Looks pretty menacing and protective of my things, lol.

Thomas
6 December 2007, 07:16 PM
imagine just how cool it would look with that new Battle Of Hoth kit :P

Sithspawn
7 December 2007, 12:01 AM
Ran a Battle of Hoth scenario last week using my new House Rules and it worked well.

We kept it to only characters who were at the Battle of Hoth, with the exception Empire had Admiral Ozzel. So no Mas granting boardwide CEs and no Ugnaughts for activations.

We had to end the game before finishing but Empire pretty much won. Hologram Veers was a major threat with Mission Fire support dealing lots of damage. Blizzard Scout One was powerful too, especially as it gave the AT-AT Flanking Fire, effectively meaning the AT-AT had +10 attack with it's Big Guns!

Tactics mistakes - as Empire I held back too long giving my opponent time to pick off my Snowtroopers. Rebels held back too long not giving them chance to hurt the AT-AT and leaving them vunerable to heavy damage from BS1, AT-AT & Hologram Veers.

It was a fun game, next time we're going to play the Battle of Endor. :)

Warriors of Gar AT-AT House Rules

AT-AT Driver (from FU) gains the ability AT-AT Driver - if within 6 squares of the AT-AT the AT-AT may spend a move action to move 1 square backwards or sideways.

AT-AT gains Massive (like the DDM Colossal Red Dragon) - ignores walls when moving, can end it's move in a wall.

DR20 save 11, on a failed save it only has DR10.

Save vs. STOMP is made BEFORE entering the square of a character with the EMPLACEMENT Special Ability.