PDA

View Full Version : Transporting/Storing SW Minis?

Arknight
11 December 2007, 08:19 AM
Hi folks!

I was at Target the other day with my son (he's turning 11 in Feb) and we'd previously been discussing the SW Starship Battles game as something for us to do. Unfortunately, they didn't have any SB, but they did have the Battle on Hoth set (which had a bonus Bounty Hunters booster box as well) which we picked up.

Looks like it's going to be a fun thing for us both, and he's even wanting to teach his sister (who just turned 8) the game (and she picks up on stuff like this pretty quick.. (and even has a favorite mini already in the Mistral Shadow Guard although just based on looks, not stats or anything. :) )). However, considering some more similar items may be in store in the future I was wondering something. How do you folks out there store and transport yout Minis from place to place? When I used to play Battletech eons ago, I used the tackle boxes from Walmart. Now though, it seems with the sizes of some of the figures (the AT-ST, the Airspeeder, and the Droid Starfighter in Walker mode (from the BH box)) that that may be impractical.

I'd love to hear all ideas and suggestions.
TC

Evil overlord
11 December 2007, 11:53 AM
I keep all of my medium/small/large minis in cardboard boxes I get from orders off of the net. As for Huge minis, I display them in my room most of the time, and then just but them in large boxes (like the ones were you get 50 giziallion sheets of computer paper) when I need to go somewhere with them.

Donovan Morningfire
12 December 2007, 02:18 AM
A lot of people (myself included) use tackle box trays (I usually find them at Wal-Mart in the sporting goods section) for their figs, while I keep my Huge figs in X-mas ornament storage crates (can get them pretty cheap at Target).

Maybe it's just a mild OCD, but it's nice to be able to quickly find a specific figure instead of searching through a jumbled pile, especially as my SW minis get used more at the table for RPGs than for the minis game these days.

cheshire
12 December 2007, 06:49 AM
Yeah, tackle boxes are still the norm. If you look for the right kind you can find tackle boxes with large lower compartments. You can store your huges there.

Personally, I carry my huges in an original 1977 Star Wars lunch box. It's collectible AND functional!

gmjabreson
12 December 2007, 08:08 AM
I keep my smaller ones in a tackle box as well, but the larger ones, like the AT-AT, AT-ST's, and other large ones I have, I keep in large Storage bins. I find these great because I can then just load up the tackle boxes into the larger bin, and take the bin in the trunk of my car to where the guys and I are playing.

But then, like others, I mostly use mine for RPG purposes.

Stratos
13 December 2007, 03:55 AM
I had a long reply written up but the virus alerts kicked me out so here's the short of it... I use buck-a-pop plastic "shoe boxes" from Big Lots. One or more per faction.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
29 January 2008, 12:31 PM
Heya guys, i've an interesting question for you...

I'm definately into buying the minis. Although theres not a whole lot of SW interest around my parts. So i'm mainly collecting them for the sets.

Anywhoo, my own delimas are this:

1. To wrap or unwrap the figures:
I bought 4 double-door Ikea glass display cabinets. My house does tend to get dusty, so i'm betting over time i'll have to be dusting the contents of my display cabinets. Do I keep the minis in their baggies so they remain dust free? They're a bit awkward to place in the cabinet to display. Or do i unwrap them?

1a. Is there anyway I can help further reduce the dust accumulation within the cabinet? the doors arn't exactly sealed, with about a 1" gap between the door and each side panel. And possibly a bit of a gap top and bottom of the doors.

1b. The dust itself appears to be a very fine white or grey powdery type dust. On the house end, i've had the furnace ducts vacuumed out, fresh furnace filters with high particle filtration every few months, even a dust cover for the floor rad in the spare room...

2. Whats the best way to make the most optimal use and area of the glass cabinet? The minis aren't all that tall height-wise and theres aprox 13" inches between the 3 glass shelves (cabinet is ~6ft tall x 12" deep by ~30" width) ... Is there something I can get that could possibly layer the minis to make better use of the interior space? I wouldn't mind dedicating 1 or 2 of the cabinets for the minis.

When visitors and guests come over, they see this library showcase 'spare room' i've got with bookshelves, display cabinets, and even an inset wall book case, filled with nice stuff, its quite the conversation piece ;)

I don't have a digital camera or else i'd snap some pics to show here, so you'd see what i'm talking about. In 2 other glass cabinets i've got a variety of SW stuff, some original 80's Kenner B-wing and AT-ST, a 12" 1977 original Darth Vader complete with cape and lightsaber and box, mint condition, etc.

So, with placing the minis in one of the cabinets, thats why I ask ;)

Sithspawn
29 January 2008, 01:13 PM
As I need to transport my minis to my mates house I use several Stanley Tool Boxes, plus a few Huge in a biscuit tin.

Though as the sets increase I have to keep weeding out minis I'm not going to play. I'm not going to keep lugging them ALL about B)

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
29 January 2008, 03:50 PM
Found similar pics of my cabinets:

Ikea - Detolf Glass Cabinets (http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10011055)

Almost identical to those, just 40% wider with double doors, and wood back panel. Otherwise, same product family. Guess Ikea discontinued the double door variety.

Anywhoo, got all my minis on the 4 shelfs, still all in original baggies.

Admiral Zaarin
29 January 2008, 06:16 PM
I always unwrap mine because I collect them and don't intend to sell them, use them for roleplaying, and (occasionally) actually have a miniature battle with one of my friends.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
30 January 2008, 10:36 AM
I'd like to unwrap mine also, if there was some sort of clear container or container boxes or organizers i could put them in so they'd remain dust free.

I also have to pickup a box of 3x3 card sheets and a d-ring binder.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
30 January 2008, 12:10 PM
Well guys, I think I may have found something by further trying some google searching, sort of a hit & miss results.

I did find -= this site: USA Display - Plexi Universal Display Cases =- (http://www.usadisplay.net/plexi/plexi-universaldisplay.html)

So thats the good news, that stuff like that is out there.

I'm going to be hunting around locally to see what I can find, maybe not exact, but there ought to be something.

DarrynVarson
19 February 2008, 10:43 AM
I have come across this problem with my constantly growing D&D Minis and I would like to recommend a couple of things.

First there is a company that makes Warhammer cases as well as gamer satchels called Charon Productions. The warhammer cases might be a bit big for usual sized minis, but there is the Mage Cage that holds about 12 or 14 in a case and one case can attach to another for a larger storage solution.

Secondly I have created what I call the DM Toolbox Of Doom. It is a two level rolling tool box that I keep my minis in the bottom of and the books and such in the top section. It is a Stanley tool box that looks something like the pic linked below. Just take out the middle section and the top and bottom give you a general idea. (I tried looking specifically for my model but couldn't find anything.

Links to follow.

Charon Productions (http://www.charonproductions.com)

Chron Productions Product: Mage Cage (http://www.charonproductions.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=36&osCsid=0eef893c67f21b3fa53af941c9859f43)

Stanley Tool Box Pic (http://www.tooled-up.com/ShowImage.aspx?Type=3&File=TB38043.jpg&Man=STA&Size=500)

Admiral Zaarin
20 February 2008, 09:10 AM
I have an interesting question related to this one. How do you store the cards? I have mine rubber-banded together by faction, except for a few from GMSarli that came in those nice card sheath things (I know, so technical sounding. :P). Anyway, how do you guys store cards? I'm pretty certain there must be a better way to do it...

DarrynVarson
20 February 2008, 10:21 AM
Admiral,
While I am still debating between the card sleeves one thing I am sure on are the various deck holders that are out there. Yes there is only limited space there for so many, but I mean that is why these have been made so there you go.

Admiral Zaarin
20 February 2008, 12:12 PM
All right, I'll have to look into that. Thanks. :)

Darth Jerrod
22 February 2008, 06:08 AM
Binders with card holders for me.

I can get 3 sets per binder and then I now have one with my trade surplus, or rather I am working on it. Right now it looks like they are all going to coolstuff to help further my addiction.

Stratos
22 February 2008, 06:16 AM
I put cards in penny sleaves (the cheapest Ultra Pro sells). I sort by faction. Put the cards in a WOTC card box. Put the box, along with the minis, in a plastic shoebox and carry them to and fro. I then have my cards and minis in the same inexpensive, easy-to-carry box.

Binders and stuff always seemed to buly and too much of a hassle for me. Primarily because I don't collect each set and I have 2+ of every mini I do like... sometimes up to 4 of each C/US Fringe, Sith, Vong, Mando'a, etc.

cheshire
22 February 2008, 06:18 AM
I started off with deck boxes sold for Yugioh and Magic decks. Then after I expanded to three boxes I decided to get with the program and use a binder with card holders.

It makes the whole deal a lot easier.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
28 February 2008, 07:05 PM
Yep, binders for me. Anything from 1" to 4" in sizes are available. If you've got a color printer, you can also get the ones with a clear front liner / sheet holder to put a printed sheet as well as a spine label. If you've got a few binders, this is a great way to organize them on your shelf, listing the contents of each. And optionally, if your graphically creative or talented, can really do up some nice designs.

When it comes to binders, this mainly coming from my highschool days - "D-ring" binders I prefer. They're a bit larger / wider, but IMHO keeps the sheets protected from being pulled in & under when you're closing your open binder, since the pages at the bottom of the stack are already positioned and not moving anywheres. Or basically, the RING spine is affixed to the bottom cover instead of the cover spine, which becomes just a segmented lid cover.

I've got lots of trading card sets, and each and every one of them I use the D-Ring binder style.

For loose cards, I "double-pack" them. First, in the penny-sleeves like Stratos mentioned, then I put them inside the hard shell sleeves. I've got some really expensive collectors cards that I store and display this way. The hard sleeves are invaluable for protecting the card, while making it versatile to handle where you wanting to play with the cards.

Be it individually loose or set based, i've been doing this for my cards since 1992. They've been and survived through many moves without any wear since the initial unwrapping and 'slotting' of the cards.

On a side note, my most 3 valued collector cards - "The 2 captains" and one ship, I have encased in 1.5" thick Hard Clear Acrylic card holders, fastened by 4 brass screws. Those 3 cards are worth $150 as a set, so it was well worth every penny for the cases.