PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Be Bop

Dr_Worm
22 October 2001, 07:38 AM
I am not a universal fan of Anime, but I have discovered a series that blows me away. Cowboy Be Bop is a great combination of spacefaring science fiction, awesome action, and rough edges. I love the fact that they don't use beam weapons. The background music is jazz and blues reminiscent of the Bop Era. Very Cool!

Adult Swim @ midnight

Rigil Kent
22 October 2001, 08:03 AM
I've got the entire series on DVD. Wait until you see the end. :)

Dr_Worm
22 October 2001, 12:10 PM
How many episodes? How many DVD's? I just started...I don't want it to end!

Rigil Kent
22 October 2001, 12:35 PM
There are...six discs (I think) with about four to five episodes per (I cannot recall the exact number - I'm at work right now.)

Also, there is a theatrical movie that is mostly complete. It's supposed to come out later next year although I don't know if it will show up in your local Gugoplex. It's supposed to be set in the middle of the series.

A friend of mine pointed them out to me. I saw the name and refused to watch them but after being forced to watch the first one, I devoured the rest of them. Excellent series!

Moff Neomen
22 October 2001, 01:33 PM
Hell yeah. My all-time favorite anime series. I'd definetly suggest getting the DVDs and watching it in Japanese, subtitled...I think it's a heckuva lot better in the original language (but I may be biased, having seen that first :D). When I watched the version on Adult Swim, I was annoyed by how different it sounded ;).

Dr_Worm
22 October 2001, 01:52 PM
Actually one of the things that struck me is how well acted and well voiced it show was. I am probably biased as well, as it is what I have seen, but for dubbed Anime it is well done.

The two episodes that I saw last night were great, but I was wondering where I am in the series.

1st one: The chick bountyhunter catches some dude that faked his death and left her with a lot of debt. She thinks he holds the key to her past, but learns little.

2nd one: The bada** dude with the weird Abe Lincoln beard teams up with his old cop partner to catch an escaped prisoner, that they had put behind bars.

So where are these in the series (middle?).

Rigil Kent
22 October 2001, 06:06 PM
You're referring to "My Funny Valentine" and "Black Dog Serenade", sessions 16 & 17. There are 26 total episodes so you're about halfway through it.

Sabre
22 October 2001, 07:11 PM
Any anime series you've only seen on Cartoon Network, you've seen only the shadow of.

Definitely rent the DVDs. Most anime stores should have them for rent since the series is pretty popular. I even saw them at a blockbuster not long ago.

dragonseye
23 October 2001, 11:49 PM
Doc,

You might want to check out Trigun, it's one heck of an anime/ manga series. It's a western/ sci-fi series about a character named Vash the Stampede, the only man with a 60 bilion double dollar reward on his head. (Sorry if you already know about it... I just can't help plugging it. :D)

Sabre,

The block buster near me only aquires the weird stuff. Usually the only ones you see are vampire "adult themed" animes... and I live in the second largest city in IL but anime stores do not exist in this city. :( Luckily, we have a friend that lends quite a few of his DVD's to us when we ask... otherwise we'd have to buy all of them.

Formerly Wu
24 October 2001, 06:13 AM
Indeed, Trigun rocks. My character's gun (the Sentinel V) is based off Vash's revolver.

...though he has yet to say Love and Peace!! :D

Moff Neomen
24 October 2001, 09:33 AM
Quite. You mind if I post the Sentinel V stats on the D20 board, Wu? Actually, also mentioning that, I borrowed the first three Trigun DVDs when I was home this weekend. I'm pretty sure you don't mind.

Back to the subject though...

I'm wondering how Cartoon Network will handle the Mushroom Samba session (from Bebop). I don't get CN on my tvs, but would those who do tell me how bad it's edited / if it's even there at all? Would be a huge shame if they completely cut it...it's one of the best episodes :D.

Rigil Kent
24 October 2001, 10:39 AM
Well they are showing the episodes really late so they probably don't need to edit it too much. As to the best episode, my favorite ep is the one with the floating fat man. Those of you who know will understand...:)

jedibrass
25 October 2001, 02:06 AM
remember one thing about Cowboy BeBop. Cartoon Network is showing it in its ffully unedited glory (excepty for the all time crowd pleasers, nudity scenes :p j/k, which are edited of course if there are any). That is what Adult Swim is, a block of programing for adults (17 & up) and thus unedited. They did something like this with Gundam Wing back when I first started watchin anime when they showed uncut GW on the Midnight Run. Trust me, I've seen a few Cowboy bebop episodes where there is ALOT, and I mean ALOT of blood and gore, and CN doesn't edit that out ONE BIT. Now if only they could put 08th MS Team and DBZ into that uncensored programing block (I hear that DBZ is SOOOOOO bloodier uncensored, and 08th MS Team . . . you only have to watch the episode titled "The Broken Order to Standbye" to see why I want it uncensored).

Cheers,
~Jedibrass

Moff Neomen
25 October 2001, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by jedibrass
(excepty for the all time crowd pleasers, nudity scenes :p j/k, which are edited of course if there are any).

I heard they edited the one nudity scene in the entire show (that I can think of).

As for blood and gore...there are worse shows than Bebop. It does exist, but it isn't that bad. I'm not surprised they didn't edit much, though some of the scenes in Pierrot le Fou (aka the floating fat man :D) might be edited.

Donovan Morningfire
25 October 2001, 03:51 PM
Aside from the fact it's a topic very near and dear to my heart, does anyone have any ideas as to where I can snag a copy of some of the following music:

- Vegeta's full theme music, american DBZ
- Gundam Wing soundtrack
- The episode end music for today's CN episode of 08th MS team (can't for the life of me remember the episode's name)

Unfortunately, I haven't caught much of Cowboy Bebop. Only the first few episodes, but what I did see was pretty darn cool. Faye Valentine is a hottie! And the choice of music is a great touch.

But when talking great anime series, let us not forget Slayers. An anime send-up of all things fantasy. DRAGON SLAVE!!!!

dragonseye
25 October 2001, 05:22 PM
Here are a couple of websites that I know that are good for ordering:

Planet Anime: http://www.planetanime.com

Image Anime: http://store.yahoo.com/matrixcollectibles/index.html

House of Anime: http://www.houseofanime.com/

Just keep in mind that anything with the San Me (sp) or SM lgo on it is a pirate copy. Because of this, the quality may differ significantly. But then they're also only $15 USd instead of $30-50 Usd. Planet anime guarentees that all of their products are the originals. I've purchased items from Image Anime and House of Anime. Both of them are very good websites with quick delivery (three days to get to us when we live half way across the states from each of them) and reliable service. You can also request items from Planet Anime if they do not have them liste on their website- they have people who go to Japan once a month to look for new things as well as to aquire items requested by customers.

(Sorry, but I must say that Shirow Masamune is my favorite in the mnaga/ anime industry. :) Now if they'd just get GITS 2 translated and in the States. :D But Trigun is a close runner with him.)

Donovan Morningfire
26 October 2001, 06:32 PM
Thnx for the heads up on those sites dragonseye. When (and if) I get some disposable income, I'll definitely check them out.

I do have to agree with you on the quality of Shirow's work. Even if only because of the Puma Sisters :D (Actually, I like a lot of his other stuff as well. It's just the Pumas Sisters are somewhat near and dear to me. And not strictly for the most obvious reason.)

jedibrass
27 October 2001, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Moff Neomen
As for blood and gore...there are worse shows than Bebop. It does exist, but it isn't that bad.

Don't I know it. Ever seen M.D. Geist and/or M.D. Geist II?? Now THAT is blood and gore, and I hear that the uncensored DBZ is MEGA bloody. Vampire Hunter D. comes close but its only slightly more bloody than Cowboy BeBop. BTW, do those links listed a post or two above mine carry uncensored 08th MS videos &/or DVDs? I know that it IS censored b/c I've seen stuff there that looked just a bit off kilter to be what the censored version showed it to be (like in "The Broken Order to Standbye" when Eledore is piloting that construction mobile suit and he suddenly grips his arm and leg like they've been shot up, yet we don't see any visible wounds or blood, yet all the characters act like he got shot up badly (and I'm not talking about wounds from his fight with Michael). There are a few more obvious examples I could quote, but they are so obvious that most people will pick up on them the first time they see the episode.

BTW, does anybody know when CN will pick back up on MS Gundam so they can finish showing the episodes, and also when they will STOP showing Dragonball (I'm sick and tired of seeing the same 26 episodes OVER & OVER again), and when they will begin showing MS Gundam 0080 and/or MS Gundam 0083?? Just asking. :)

Cheers,
~Jedibrass

dragonseye
27 October 2001, 10:34 AM
Donovan,

Yup, I understand the available income thingy... I'm still trying to figure how to afford the giant ×××hikoma toy that I ordered through Previews... but it will be worth it.

The Puma sisters are cool... but my favorite character is Susano from Orion... he's just truly wacky but very cool. :D You know, I just wish I could go to Japan right now... there are so many things for shirow being released right now that I feel left out... middle of nowhere arm pit of the universe city that I live in doesn't get hardly a thing for Shirow stuff. Oh well i guess...

jedibrass,

Uncensored MS videos? :raised: Which anime are you speaking of? Gundam (sorry, i don't have cable, so I don't see anything on cartoon network, if that's what you're asking about?)

Umm, Attack of the Overfiend comes to mind... just thinking of it makes me gag... you deffinitely don't want anyone under 18 watching that one...

jedibrass
27 October 2001, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by dragonseye
jedibrass,

Uncensored MS videos? :raised: Which anime are you speaking of? Gundam (sorry, i don't have cable, so I don't see anything on cartoon network, if that's what you're asking about?)

Umm, Attack of the Overfiend comes to mind... just thinking of it makes me gag... you deffinitely don't want anyone under 18 watching that one...

MS stands for Mobile Suit, and yes, I'm speaking of a Gundam series. There's MSG (Mobile Suit Gundam), Gundam 08th MS Team, MSG 0080, and MS 0083. They all take place in the Universal Century, except for Gundam Wing, which, as all Gundam fans know, takes place in the calendar system of AC (after colony). Sorry, if you know most of this Dragonseye, but I wasn't sure to what extent your Gundam knowledge was at, so no insult intended if I am speaking on something of which you are an authority on, but just don't know what I mean by MS. :D

Will have to check out Attack of the Overfiend if it ever gets to the local video store (there is no anime store in the whole Roanoke Valley area, though the video stores do have anime section, but they are only one or two shelves of videos, which are sometimes sparsely filled I might add. But still, I've run across a few great gems in the anime section (ex: Vampire Hunter D., Record of Lodoss War, Dirty Pair, The Peacock King, Project A-Ko (all 4 volumes), Wrath of the Ninja: The Yotoden Movie, M.D. Geist I & II, Big Wars, and Silent Service).

Cheers,
~Jedibrass

Donovan Morningfire
27 October 2001, 03:58 PM
Hey brass, here's some other stuff to keep an eye out for.

- Bubblegum Crisis (original 8 part series)
- Bubblegum Crisis 2040 (new series, was for TV over in Japan)
- Legend of Princess Monoke (sp?)
- Slayers; there's a whole bunch of 'em (was also a TV series in Japan I believe) Fantastic send-up of the fantasy genre. (I heard Fox was going to put it on TV, but that was months ago.) Dubs are by some of the same voice actors as Pokemon.
- Akira; the all-time classic anime cyberpunk flick
- Ranma 1/2; it's too weird to explain, but funny as heck.
- Trigun; Vash the Stampede is the veritable personification of ever hapless RPG hero.
- Ghost in the Shell; all I can say is sweeeet!
- Dominion Tank Police; if only for the way the Puma Sisters distract the SWAT team.

There's also been a new Vampire Hunter D movie done. I remember seeing snippets on Sci-Fi well over a year ago. And it looked outright awesome!

And I totally agree, Cartoon Network needs to show more Gundam! We want Mobile Suits!! At least they added Batman Beyond to the line up. It may not be anime, but it still rocks!

Dr_Worm
27 October 2001, 06:28 PM
A new Vamp D. Wow the one I saw was in like 92. Are there more? That was the best Anime' movie I had seen at the time (I thought it was way cooler than Akira), and I would loveto see more.

Donovan Morningfire
27 October 2001, 06:36 PM
To the best of my knowledge, there was the original Vampire Hunter D and the new film. I agree the original was cool, but just the minute or so I saw of the new one made me just go woah.

jedibrass
27 October 2001, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Donovan Morningfire
To the best of my knowledge, there was the original Vampire Hunter D and the new film. I agree the original was cool, but just the minute or so I saw of the new one made me just go woah.

Yeah, thats the general reaction to the new film, or so I hear. But also from what I hear, Dorris (the girl he saved in the first movie, and who fell in love with him) is not in this new movie. Too bad b/c she was one daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn cute woman. Ah well, as the French say: Say La Vi (hope I spelled that right, b/c I don't take French and can only say yes or no in it). Hope the beautiful maiden in the new movie holds up to Dorris' quality, though I would've liked to see what would happen between the two, but thats only b/c I'm a hopeless romantic. :D

Cheers,
~Jedibrass

saucercrab
27 October 2001, 11:22 PM
Cowboy Bebop is an awesome show; great for putting you in the mood for a sci-fi/space RPG.

IIRC, the Cowboy Bebop movie is supposed to take place in between the 2nd-to-last & last episodes of the tv series.

I have no idea when the original Gundam series will go back on the air, & I am really p.o.'ed about that. Just when it was finally getting good & Amuro's newtype powers were really kicking into high gear, they drop the series from rotation. WTF?! MS 08th is just as violent & the violence is better animated & clearer to boot! The Sniper Gundam is da'bomb!

I have read that Cartoon Network has picked up Stardust Memory & War in the Pocket (Gundam 0080 & 0083, me thinks?), but no air date has been set. I think Animerica magazine has the info.

Moff Neomen,
was the Mushroom Samba story arc in Cowboy Bebop the one with the sax player who had served in the military with Vicious & was given experimental drugs that made him a little bit "feminine?" If so, then they did show it. All the episodes on DVD are supposed to air, even the ones that didn't air in Japan.

My fave anime? (Like anyone's asking):
Ghost in the Shell (Shiro is simply amazing, if a little confusing with his plots; talk about needing a PHD to understand!),
original Bubblegum Crisis & Crash,
Photon (funnier than Tenchi Muyo),
Char's Counterattack & Formula 91 (Gundam movies),
Magic Knight Rayearth & RG Veda (I'm a big fan of Clamp's work; their art books are just plain beautiful).

And for those of you who watch Adult Swim:

What time is it?
It's dodge ball time! :D

dragonseye
28 October 2001, 06:50 AM
Jedibrass,

Ok, that's what I figured. Umm, far as I know, all three websites sell large quantities of the Gundam stuff. I'm sure they have uncut versions- they can also answer your questions if you ask the people on the websites. (I saw some of Gundam, and quickly discovered it's not really my thing...)

Saucercrab, go out and get the comic of Ghost in the Shell. It makes a lot more sense, and since it's entirely by Shirow, it's a whole lot better. There's much more detail to the story and it is explained a lot better. He also has notes in the back with explanations of the story. And keep an eye out next summer, the continuation of gits will be out in english (and it's entirely CG!!!)

Other ones people may like are Black Majic: M66 (another shirow manga made into an anime- it also has robots with Martial Arts, so it may be useful to watch for inspiration Dr Worm,) Landlock (the character designs were done by Shirow) Escaflowne (get the DVD since it's the uncut version- there's much more to it than the Fox version,) and Gatchaman (you may recognize it from G- Force- the 70's/ 80's version.)

Donovan,

Yup, it is amusing to watch how the Puma sisters get away from the police... not to mention the ultimate tank deterant!

Donovan Morningfire
28 October 2001, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by dragonseye
Donovan,

Yup, it is amusing to watch how the Puma sisters get away from the police... not to mention the ultimate tank deterant!
I wasn't going to mention the tank deterant, but now that you have ... (stops himself in mid-sentence) ... I'd better drop that subject before this becomes another Milestone thread. :D

I've seen some of the original Escaflowne. Fox royally butchered it, aside from the fact they started with the fourth of fifth episode, and laughably tried to make Vaugn the hero of the whole thing. Hopefully Fox never does release Slayers on american TV. Fans were griping about Saban's massacre of the DBZ Saiyan Saga. Lina's exploits as a kiddie show will just never measure up. (Hidden joke in there for you fellow Slayers fans.)

Glit-Biter
28 October 2001, 07:05 AM
I lost the flow of the conversation............ what are you 2 talking about? :P

Donovan Morningfire
28 October 2001, 07:18 AM
Unlike some other threads, this has managed to stay fairly close to on topic.

On a related note to anime series and horrible editing; I actually watched some of the unedited Sailor Moon stuff (it's amazing what I'll go through for a woman I like :D ). It actually wasn't all that horrible.

I'll have to keep an eye out for the GitS manga, dragonseye.

I heard rumors/stories that Cartoon Network was working on an all-anime channel. The safe stuff during the daylight hours, and the more graphic (i.e. violent) stuff at night? Anyone heard anything more about this?

Benaiah Pirath
28 October 2001, 08:38 AM
Saucer Crab: "Jupiter Jazz part 1&2" is the one with Vicious' really feminine friend. "Mushroom Samba" is the really funny one where Spike, Jet, and Faye all get high on mushrooms and Edward and Ein have to save the day. :) I hope I didn't spoil it.

Cowboy Bebop is probably the best series I have seen, I love the anime, music, and characters.
The Best movie I have seen(in my opinoin) in the "Rurouni Kenshin OVA", good animation, story, and Kenshin just kicks ass. I would say "Ghost in the Shell" had the best animation I have seen in a anime. "Vampire Hunter D" kicked ass, I have only seen the first one. "Blood: the last Vampire" was cool too. I haven't seen any other series than "Cowboy Bebop", but have been meaning to see "Record of Lotus War"

Donovan Morningfire
28 October 2001, 09:04 AM
Benaiah, get away from the computer right now and go rent/aquire a copy of the complete Record of Lodoss War. It's been called the standard by which all sword-and-sorcery fantasy anime are judged, and with good reason. The artwork is great, and if you've ever played D&D, you'll swear the writers based the whole story off an epic campaign. You won't be dissapointed.

saucercrab
28 October 2001, 09:56 AM
dragonseye,
I have the GinS comics but they are a little harder to follow as I have them in separate issues, & not the collected.
I've gone through my friend's Japanese GitS 2, titled Man Machine Interface. Much more color pages (around 40% I think). Wicked awesome. And Batou's back!
I have Landlock & I was disappointed by it. I expected better (in my eyes) because I recognized Shirow's designs.

Benaiah Pirath,
I don't think they've shown Mushroom Samba yet, then. They should; Sealab 2021 is setting the precedents for how far over the line they can go!
And the Record of Lodoss War comic series, Lady of Pharis is good, too. It details the adventure of the rulers of Lodoss (Beld, the King of Valis, Wart, etc.) & how Beld became evil. Great prequel, as opposed to others...

Donovan,
IIRC, Lodoss War was based on the creator's DnD campaign.

And not to get risque, but Shirow actually did a short story for Penthouse Comix (no dialog, just pictures) & the artwork for a short, Japanese "adult" comic. I don't know about the story of the Japanese-only one, though, because it involved demons, & not hyper-science. I've seen it on the web.

Here's another good cartoon (not Japanese, but funny as Hell!):
Invader Zim, on Nickelodeon, Friday nights at 9pm. It's by the creator of the Johnny the Homicidal Maniac comic, Jhonen Vasquez (spelling?). That is pushing it for a kid's channel.

Dr_Worm
28 October 2001, 02:01 PM
My 7 year old son and I watch Zim together, and we love it. It is the coolest, strangest thing to hit TV since Courage (as far as non-anime goes). I am already planning my Zim Tatoo. Any sugestions?

Ok I've asked this before but: Has anyone ever watched the really old-school anime (back when it was called Japanamation) series called "Star Blazers"? I loved it as a kid, I even got up early on school days to see it.

Lokar
28 October 2001, 02:14 PM
Old school, huh? You mean like Robotech old school, or Speed Racer old school? I remember watching Robotech back when it first came on in the 1980s. That was a good anime, even if it was three different shows meshed together.

Dr_Worm
28 October 2001, 02:52 PM
Robotech/Voltron old school. It pales in comparison to stuff of today, but it has a warm place in my heart. I still remember the theme song.

Donovan Morningfire
28 October 2001, 03:34 PM
I vaguely remember snippets of Star Blazers/Starship Yamato. I also fondly remember Robotech (my first intro to the wonder and glory that is anime), Voltron (I still have the big die-cast figure around here someplace. Go Lions!), and Battle of the Planets/G-Force/Eagle Riders/Gatchaman/Ninja Science Team Gatchaman or whatever it's being called this month.

Like you said, Doc, the quality of the stuff pales in comparison of what's being done today, but it does indeed have a large deal of sentimental value. At least Toonami was showing some of the classics, at least for a while.

dragonseye
28 October 2001, 04:10 PM
Donovan,

I won't go into details about it either... we really don't need another Milestone thread. Let me know if you hear anything about the all anime channel... sounds like a neat idea.

saucercrab,

The problem with the landlock is that shirow was nothing more than character designer, and, like many of the things that he did character designs for, they basically just payed for his name to get it on the video box. Otherwise, they usually just trashed the work he did. I ordered the GITS 2 trade from Previews, but it will probably take many months before I'll get it.

Robotech is very cool... so long as you ignore Minme singing... :D

Donovan Morningfire
28 October 2001, 04:23 PM
Law of Anime #17 - Law of Transient Romantic Unreliability
Minmei is a bimbo.

If anyone's interested, here's the sight where I got that little nugget from:

http://www.bright.net/~nyla/animelaw.html

Somewhere on my hard drive I've got the Everything I Ever Needed to Know, I Learned from Anime. I think it's an old Wordperfect file. Have to switch it over to Wordpad before posting it.

saucercrab
28 October 2001, 05:45 PM
Ah, Carl "Chopshop" Macek. That is the name of the guy responsible for bringing Macross, Southern Cross, & Genesis Climber Mospeada to us in one not-so-neat package, right? With a butcher knife & a dream he forged the Robotech saga.

Mimei is nothing compared to Priss! Punk at its best.
LONG LIVE PRISS & THE REPLICANTS!!!

dragonseye,
good point about Landlock. And the Studio Proteus (http://www.studioproteus.com) website has some info on Man Machine Interface. Go to the News watch section.

And don't nobody ever forget about Transformers! 'The old-school, half-hour toy commercial at its best' was Japanese also.

Donovan Morningfire
29 October 2001, 05:08 AM
Classic Transformers, now there was a fun cartoon. Despite the 3.8 color and voice-over goofs in each episode, it was indeed much fun.

Beast Wars had it's moments, but was too campy.

The new Transformers series I initially had high-hopes for, but it's more Digimon/Pokemon than the classic series. (They cry out the names of their attacks for cryin' outloud, and the Predacons are collective buffoons.)

dragonseye
29 October 2001, 03:10 PM
saucercrab, the info on Studio Proteus is usually late... I get all info from another website (and to be honest, I don't like SP's attitude towards fans... but that's just me.)

Donovan,

Of course they do that in Robots in Disguise, it is Japanese afterall. The thing I dislike is that I saw a different translation of the Transformers 2000 (japanese title to RID) and a lot of the character was lost with fox's translation... They toned down Speadbreaker quite a bit for one. I also hate getting up at 7:00 am to watch it...

(As far as I know, the first two generations are american, but they were brought over to Japan... then Japan made several of there own series... including Transformerss 2000, which were brought over here. My knowledge of transformers is not as good as my husband's though...)

Donovan Morningfire
29 October 2001, 07:51 PM
I realize it's Japanese done and all, but I guess my expectations were a little too high. Considering the TF movie (which I still like to sit down and watch ever once and a while), and some of what was done with the series after TF: the movie, RiD is a major letdown. It seesm the show's creators just went with the current trend, regardless of some of the old viewers with a strong sense of nostalgia. (Is it any mistake that 80's stations are popping up, and are viable? So much for disposable music.)

I read a while back that the original series continued overseas after it went of the air here in the States, and that a lot of the characterization was vastly improved (Rodimus took command again, and ceased being a weenie, as well as Galvatron getting most of his marbles back.)

saucercrab
29 October 2001, 08:50 PM
dragonseye,
yeah, Studio Proteus never updates its site, which is kind of funny considering the high quality products they put out, comic-wise.

Donovan,
Hey! I really liked Beast Wars (not Beast Machines, though; what tripe!). I can remember a bunch of jokes on that show that no kids would've gotten.

My fave:
Rattrap: "That ship wasn't built, it was poured!"
Optimus: "Die-cast construction," :looks at the tv screen: "It's a lost art."

I mean, c'mon, a reference to the original toys which had metal parts & not just cheap plastic? Hilarious!

Plus, the designs were very well done, the survivors had great personalities & the best part: the toys transformed just like the characters did in the show.

And I loved how Ravage was one of the only Decepticons to survive & he became a KGB-type superspy-type. Too bad he got fragged like he did. :(

The only cool thing about the new Transformers? Wait a minute... give me time to think... nothing yet... almost... there, got it: an evil Prime! Oh no, they named him Scourge, instead of Dark Convoy (or whatever the Hell name he had in Nippon; even Dark Prime would've been better)! Couldn't they not have ripped a name from an older 'bot? Worse yet, they brought back the Combaticons & renamed them too! Ruination? Come on. Next, they'll have Unicron back but they'll change his name to Big Giant Head or Fatty Fatty Ha Ha!

I hope all of you were able to avoid the Japanese Beast Wars. I didn't & that half hour I spent watching an episode is one I will never, ever get back. My life will end 30 minutes sooner because of it.

Sorry for the rant, but after I started, my blood pressure has gone down quite a bit. Whooh, a stress reliever! Thanx! :p

One more thing (said like Jackie Chan's Uncle; ooh, another phenomenal show, but anyway):
My favorite episode of Transformers with Galvatron in it: when Cyclonus took him to some planet for psychiatric treatment & he blowed the place up! I can still clearly remember the scene where he was given some electronics to build something (like knitting, to calm his violent urges) & he builds a gun & starts shooting the robo-orderlies! Ha Ha! :D

Aw man, I've really derailed the train of thought of the original thread; sorry.

Donovan Morningfire
30 October 2001, 05:46 AM
Let's see ... this thread started by talking about an anime series. The first five letters of animemation are anime. And most animemation is done overseas or by Japanese artists these days. So I'd say there's still some hope for this thread (unlike the bizarreness that is Milestone :)

Like I said, Beast Wars had it's moments, but I still prefer the OS. And yes, I do remember Galvatron getting therapy. I was laughing like crazy.

Besides, some of my favorite lines I like to toss into a session are from Beast Wars. (Beast Machines was eh at best, though the CGI was pretty slick, save the explosions.)

- "Oh boy, we're all gonna die. I know, 'shaddup Rattrap!'" (actually got my old group to say 'shut up Rattrap!' after a few weeks :D
- "He's got bearings of solid brass" (or something like that)
- The Many Clobberings of Waspinator
- Dinobot's last collection of words, and just Dinobot in general.

saucercrab
30 October 2001, 12:26 PM
Rattrap
"Well, now what do we do?"
Silverbolt
"Given our proximity, I breathe through my mouth."

'Ol wolfie had a great deadpan delivery!

Well, we'll just agree to disagree (with me being right :) ).

Well, on with the thread:

What do you all think of Blue Sub 6?
Me? Fantastic designs, great animation, okay story, eh for the ending.

Sabre
30 October 2001, 08:42 PM
I just saw the Cowboy Bebop movie.

Unfortunately, it'll be a good long while before they'll release it in the US theatres, but if you like the series you will NOT be disappointed.

saucercrab
30 October 2001, 08:46 PM
Yo Sabre,
What's the general plot?
Newtype magazine isn't big on using the english language or alphabet.

Moff Neomen
31 October 2001, 12:00 PM
Darn it Sabre! I was hoping to be the first to say that :D. Just saw it last night.

The basic plot is: A biological terrorist is on the loose, and the crew of the Bebop are trying to find him. There's a lot more in-depth stuff beyond that, motivations and all, but that's the movie in one sentence.

AWESOME action in there. I heartily second Sabre's opinion. Though I'm a bit worried that it might take a bit longer to get to America, what with recent events...not that the movie is anything like real life. Some people might get all sensitive about it though....

saucercrab
31 October 2001, 06:06 PM
Thank you, Mr. Moff, sir.

Sabre
31 October 2001, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Moff Neomen
[B
AWESOME action in there. I heartily second Sabre's opinion. Though I'm a bit worried that it might take a bit longer to get to America, what with recent events...not that the movie is anything like real life. Some people might get all sensitive about it though.... [/B]

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Bio Terrorism and scenery reminiscent of an American city... people are going to be neurotic about stuff like that for a while to come, and companies hoping to stay on the side of good tatste are going to keep hands off. Sad, because it really is a great movie.

Zim
2 November 2001, 05:22 AM
of course you people like Zim :)

Malkarris
12 November 2001, 07:52 PM
Since this seems to be the anime thread, I figured that I'd put this here. For those of you who don't get cartoon network, at the toonami website (http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/toonami/alliance/), on November 14 click on the Reactor link. There should be three anime series being shown there, the full episodes! In no particular order, they are:

Harlock Saga (No idea what this one is. Does anyone here know?)

Star Blazers (Rather campy when I watched it, but that's my opinion.

Record of the Lodoss War (I think someone called it the anime version of a great RPG campaign of D&D. From what I've heard, they're right.)

So, there you have it. November 14 at Toonami.com (you can use the above link for easier access to the Reactor). Plus, there is one more series on the way. No one knows what they are, unfortunately. Right now there is a riddle at the Reactor site hinting at the titles, but its vague.

saucercrab
12 November 2001, 09:27 PM
The Harlock Saga & Star Blazers (the latter under the original name of Battleship Yamato, methinks) are by one of the great ones of anime, Leiji Matsumoto.

Harlock Saga, IIRC, is the centerpiece of the Leiji-verse; the story of Captain Harlock, a eye-patch-wearin' space pirate for the forces of good, who has his own Yamato-type starship.

He is also responsible for Galaxy Express 999, Arcadia of My Youth (the Harlock origin story) & Queen Esmerelda, all of them connected to Harlock in different ways. For those of you who still don't know who I'm talking about, he directed the Daft Punk videos for their latest album, Discovery.

And as to the title of this thread:

Damnit! They didn't show an episode of Cowboy Bebop! This past Sunday night, they showed episodes 21 & 23, but not 22. That's two episodes they haven't shown now! Oy vey!

Dr_Worm
12 November 2001, 10:30 PM
Care to hazard a guess as to RPG stats for the Yamato or it's fellow "ships"? What about the Wave Motion Gun?

I was baptised by Star Blazers, and even though the quality is poor, it had enought interest to hold me through both series.

Loved IT!

saucercrab
13 November 2001, 09:56 AM
Like the Death Star's superlaser should be, the Wave Motion Gun should be a plot device; it destroys what the GM needs it to destroy.

Just like the SDF-1 in Macross!

Danan Valos
7 November 2002, 04:51 PM
I'm sorry if I am changing the subject, but where I live, there aren't very many anime fans around. I'm the only one I know of that even knows what anime is. Thus, I've only seen about 6 episodes of Trigun, various episodes of DBZ, and I think 1 episode of Slayers. I'd like to see more, but I either can't afford it all or don't know where to find it. But my main question is: What the heck is Record of Lodoss War? I've heard about it several times but I don't even have a clue what it is. Could someone help me out a bit?

Dr_Worm
7 November 2002, 06:14 PM
:p You're not just changeing the subject, you are reviving a thread that has been dead for nearly a year. Sorry...just thought it was funny.

In answer to your question, I am an anime idiot for the most part so I don't know, but now that you have brought this back from the dead perhaps some of the more learned can gelp you. have you tried searching the web?

Ardent
7 November 2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Danan Valos
I'm sorry if I am changing the subject, but where I live, there aren't very many anime fans around. I'm the only one I know of that even knows what anime is. Thus, I've only seen about 6 episodes of Trigun, various episodes of DBZ, and I think 1 episode of Slayers. I'd like to see more, but I either can't afford it all or don't know where to find it. But my main question is: What the heck is Record of Lodoss War? I've heard about it several times but I don't even have a clue what it is. Could someone help me out a bit?

Record of Lodoss War is the definitive piece of High Fantasy Anime. There really isn't anything else close to it. To boot, it's one of the best pieces of high fantasy writing I've had the pleasure of being exposed to. If you can get it, it's well worth whatever the cost is.

KnightStalker
7 November 2002, 08:06 PM
I definitely recommend Slayers, Star Blazers and anything Macross (except you may want to think twice about Macross II, it's an alternate timeline and doesn't really fit in with the other series).

Battle of the Planets ( aka the Americanized, sanitized, totally edited to death version of Science Ninja Team Gatchaman ) has been coming out on DVD, with the BotP version, the original Japanese Gatachaman version, and the Eagle Riders version of the same episode on each disc, and watching each version let's you see just how much Sandy Frank had butchered it for American TV. :mad:

The one thing about the BotP versions that I truly hate are the American animation they edited in to act as filler for what they cut ( that 7-Zark-7 droid truly blows chunks :D ) out or completely changed ( they turned Jinpei from a lewd little pottymouth into a blooming idjit IMHO ).

The Gatchaman OVA is a must have on DVD, it completely recreated the series & characters for the '90s, only with more pinache.

GitS is good, and in addition to all of the above, my anime collection includes Iria Zeiram, Dominion Tank Police, Fatal Fury The Motion Picture, Street Fighter II The Animated Movie, Hand Maid May ( who wouldn't want a bunch of hot ladies obssessing over you, even if they are actually cyborgs/robots :D ), and the 1st 2 DVDs of the series Saber Marionnettes J ( similar to HMM, but without all the fan service :p ), and the entire Robotech 7-boxed DVD set.

As you can see, I've got a small, yet good collection of titles, and it's always growing ( more than half my DVD collection is anime ) since I'm always looking for a good title or series to pick up.

dragonseye
8 November 2002, 06:23 AM
If you have acces to Cartoon Network, they will be playing the Cowboy Bebop series again as a part of their Adult Swim programming. As I recall, they are supposed to play Monday- Friday at about 11:00 PM Est time zone. You'll have to check a TV Guide to know the exact times though since I'm not certain on the time they will be playing.

They are also supposed to start playing unedited versions of DB and Slayers on the International Channel (which I don't have access to in order to tell you more about it...)

I watched some of Record of Lodoss War: it's basically a fantasy TV series. But to be honest, I wasn't too thrilled by it.

If you look at your local Blockbuster, you should be able to find at least a couple anime titles.

Ardent
8 November 2002, 07:56 AM
Err, nonono. Cartoon Network plays a pretty edited amalgamation of Cowboy Bebop that skips two sessions because of questionable content. It's fine to watch it casually, but you HAVE to see the whole thing uncut. It's brilliant. ;)

They do play unedited DBZ and DBGT on the International channel, but you have to speak Japanese to get any real pleasure out of it (and I speak enough to understand most of it, thanks to watching anime in Japanese with English subtitles). I haven't seen Slayers, but I know if you get the full HBO package you can watch a somewhat edited version on one of the channels (can't remember which).

If you're looking for really edgy, highly questionable content sort of anime, I heartily recommend Hakkenden: Legend of the Dog Warriors. Quite possibly the bloodiest, most gruesome and sexually questionable piece of writing I've come across (and I'm counting Akira). It's a brilliant storyline, and if you have 420 minutes of your life you're not interested in using for anything productive, it's a great buy. ;)

Dominion Tank Police is good, too. As is Gunsmith Cats. Bubblegum Crisis, original and 2040 remix are both good, as well.

dragonseye
8 November 2002, 12:05 PM
actually, I don't even have cable so I have no idea if it was as you said edited; I jsut remember the announcement in an anime news post. :) I do own all of the DVD's, and they actually don't try to price gouge you with them by only putting two or three episodes per DVD.

Personally, I've been getting into the Berserk series... also rather bloody amongst other things, but it's pretty good. The DVD's for them are great too because of all o fthe extra features to them (even gag reels of some of the scenes... for some reason, they like having Grifith sing bizarre songs...)

Dr_Worm
8 November 2002, 04:41 PM
Since we are going random on anime in genreal I will put this question here. Does anyone know a site where i could find technical data on the Yamato from Starblazers