PDA

View Full Version : The Son of the Hero With No Fear?

Ronin
20 January 2008, 05:59 PM
I was thinking through some adventure plots revolving around Luke last night and it brought up a couple of questions/points I thought I'd post on the Holonet:

Firstly, what was the public fate of Anakin Skywalker? What with his exploits during the Clone Wars, he was famous throughout the Galaxy (as the Hero With No Fear, amongst other nicknames)...so I was wondering what the average Republic-turned-Imperial citizen believed happened to the legendary Jedi? He, like the other Jedi, turned against the Republic and tried to take it over? If so, then (those who believed the 'Jedi Plot') it would tarnish his heroic image...which might reflect on his son when he too became famous....

Which brings me to my second point: when Luke became famous.
Suddenly, only twenty-ish so years after one Galaxy-wide famous Skywalker, there's a new one, and he's fighting against the Empire. Did the average Imperial citizen guess that Luke was the son of the Hero With No Fear? And if so, did they see it as a good thing? Afterall, his old man was one of those dirty treacherous Jedi...how can we trust this upstart, especially after he goes and kills millions of Imperials on that nice Death Star thingy?
I bet the COMPNOR PR people could have a field day: the violent rebel son of a bloodthirsty Jedi. Even rival factions within the Alliance (#cough#Bothans#cough#) might try to use the information against Skywalker..

Anyway, I hope that's food for thought, and perhaps something interesting to include in an adventure :)

Grade
21 January 2008, 02:13 AM
I read in Star Wars Insider, that as much as not been official it can be assume, that common people see Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader as two different people.

I really did not thought of that of people associating Luke to the son of Hero with no fear.

Using the Jedi plot as background, the name of Anakin skywalker has probably feel into shame like most Jedi. Anakin and as well the Jedi fell into obscurity (as seen episode IV). Compnor would release some stories to discredit the Jedi.

So I believe that most Imperial citizens seen the holonews that is under control of the Empire, would believe that Luke is probably evil person, but depends if those Imperial Citizen are 100% loyal to the empire and believe anything that the Empire says or if they don't believe the Empire says.

Lokar
21 January 2008, 04:05 AM
Anakin was probably considered the last "good" Jedi who was loyal to the Republic and refused to join in on the "Jedi Coup" and died at somepoint fighting them. COMPNOR probably spun Luke as a despriate attempt by the Alliance to create a hero by raping the legacy of the Clone Wars.

Jedi_Shadow
21 January 2008, 05:27 AM
As far as how the general populous viewed their Hero With No Fear, I think he was either perceived to have been part of the "Jedi plot" all along, or to have fought bravely in its defense until his death. Rumors of all kinds abounded, I'm sure. Some may have even held out hope that the one Jedi they thought would never betray the Republic/Empire would return from somewhere, to bring them the hope they had lost from their fallen hero.

When his son gained his own renown, I'm sure the rumors flew. "It's an impostor. Jedi don't have children, they steal/eat them!" "Sure, he may be a Skywalker, but that doesn't make him a hero automatically." "His terrorism proves he's as much a traitor as his father was." etc.

I think only a few knew the whole truth, but as the New Republic came into power and conditions improved I think many of the negative whispers faded away.

Whill
17 January 2010, 07:37 PM
Great thread! Vader didn't discover the name of the rebel who had destroyed the Death Star right away, and when he did find out, he did not even report it to the Emperor. Vader speculated that the rebel may just be using the Skywalker name, or that at most he may be a relative of Shmi's (and thus also him). But he wanted to find him before the Emperor found out about him. We can assume that after TESB, Luke's galactic bounty was posted and then everyone in the galaxy knew his name.

I think it was Star Wars Insider that stated the official Imperial story was that Anakin Skywalker was killed in the Jedi Temple by Darth Vader and the stomrtroopers when they surpressed the Jedi Rebellion. So officially, the Clone Wars hero is remembered as a fellow traitor of the Jedi Rebellion.

That would go right along with the Empire's official story for the wanted terrorist Luke Skywalker. Another evil "Skywalker". I don't think most most citizens would speculate that Luke was the son of the Clone Wars hero because Jedi don't have children, as has already been mentioned. The Empire charged Luke with falsely claiming to be a Jedi, which would go along with the idea that perhaps he was just a pretender who wanted association with a previous rebel to the Rebuplic/Empire.

However, a lot of people in the galaxy realized that the Empire was evil but it wasn't wise to question it's authority. Many didn't trust the report that the Jedi were responsible for manufacturing the Clone Wars as a plot to take over. Many knew that the Jedi were really heroes, and thus still remembered Anakin Skywalker as a hero. And the name of Luke Skywalker would become known as the one who struck a huge blow against the evil Empire. Anakin and Luke would both be viewed as heroes. It may not matter to these people how the two heroes were really related to each other, if at all.

The name of Skywalker was once the name of the greatest hero, and now that name had returned to the galaxy to provide everyone with a new hope in overthrowing the evil powers in the galaxy.

Thomas
18 January 2010, 03:50 AM
I wish I could remember where I read it but I recall reading that "the official report' was Anakin was killed defending Chancellor Palpatine against Mace Windu in his attempted assassination, making him a loyal member of the Republic. However this was in an EU publication and may have been contradicted elsewhere.

Master Dao Rin
18 January 2010, 09:50 AM
Darth Vader is still known as Anakin Skywalker - witness Tarkin's off-hand comment in ANH. He took a new title, as befits his new role and his allegience to "tradition" - hence, the Darth moniker.

He's celebrated as the Last Defender of the Republic (or something along those lines) I'm sure - he stood loyal to the New Empire when all the other brothers went traitor, turned tailed, and ran (he was the only one who didn't betray the rightful and duly-elected Chancellor).

As for the second point, I'm sure Skywalker as a last name is almost as popular as Antilles is - especially, by the time of the ANH, with grateful populations making babies and thereafter having celebrated the time when the Hero With No Fear came through their neck of the stars and saved their planet from those despicable Separatists 20 years ago ...

coldskier0320
18 January 2010, 10:18 AM
As for the second point, I'm sure Skywalker as a last name is almost as popular as Antilles is - especially, by the time of the ANH, with grateful populations making babies and thereafter having celebrated the time when the Hero With No Fear came through their neck of the stars and saved their planet from those despicable Separatists 20 years ago ...

Interesting idea, but I can't really see that happening. While its possible that Skywalker is a common last name (a point I might doubt due to its rarity in the EU), I dont see how Republic citizens using Skywalker as a given name would cause mass acceptance of Skywalker as a family name.

In the US it's become quite popular for children, especially girls, to be named after past presidents (Madison, Kennedy, Reagan, etc.) by no means would anyone confuse some random girl with this first name and take her for being related to these presidents.

I do very much like the PR twist of Vader being seen as the faithful defender, especially if his former identity is common knowledge. Still, I'm not sure that it is...Tarkin's comment wasn't exactly a conversation among peasants, heard on the streets in some town on an outer rim world....

Sarge
18 January 2010, 11:18 AM
IMC, I decided Skywalker was as common a name as Smith, especially on Tatooine. How else would Luke have remained "hidden" from his father, on his father's homeworld, with his father's name?

I'd like to run a character who introduces himself, "Hi, I'm John Skywalker, and no, I'm not related to that Luke guy."

Admiral Zaarin
18 January 2010, 12:10 PM
Darth Vader is still known as Anakin Skywalker - witness Tarkin's off-hand comment in ANH. He took a new title, as befits his new role and his allegience to "tradition" - hence, the Darth moniker.
Personally, my understanding is that very few, and those among the Imperial elite, know of Vader's former identity, just like few, again among the Imperial elite, know of Palpatine's arcane powers.

Grade
18 January 2010, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Admiral Zaarin

Personally, my understanding is that very few, and those among the Imperial elite, know of Vader's former identity, just like few, again among the Imperial elite, know of Palpatine's arcane powers.

And those who know are people that have the same power that Tarkin had.

Master Dao Rin
18 January 2010, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Admiral Zaarin

I'm of the opposite opinion.

I'm also of the opinion that most people don't give a flying mynock about Skywalker's background.

The only people that do care, of course, are the good guys ... and nobody is much listening to them (seeing as how you can get executed for such silly things as agreeing with the "new" Separatists ...).

Vanger Chevane
18 January 2010, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Lokar
Anakin was probably considered the last "good" Jedi who was loyal to the Republic and refused to join in on the "Jedi Coup" and died at somepoint fighting them. COMPNOR probably spun Luke as a despriate attempt by the Alliance to create a hero by raping the legacy of the Clone Wars.

IIRC this is effectively what the spin is in the Imperial Galactic Museum on Coruscant on the subject in the novel X-Wing: Wedge's Gamble, though I'm pretty sure they present him only as Darth Vader, not Anakin Skywalker.

For those in the US, I'm pretty sure if there was a Hauschnavitz noted in the Smithsonian or Library of Congress as a major personality, and some other Hauschnavitz shows up, people will recall the name (by virtue of being quite unique - you don't see Skywalkers, Darklighters, Sandskimmers, etc. anywhere else in the Galaxy aside from Tattooine in the EU) and assume they're related.

Since the IGM is a major and popular institution, if they'd named Darth Vader as Anakin Skywalker, a large number of people would be able to recall that fact, it may even be a Trivia Question. I'd put the odds of the Skywalker name being recognized at around 50%, with the Skywalker-Vader association at roughly 30%.

Luke would have been Infamous throughout his life as being Darth Vader's Boy, which would give him an automatic negative to most encounters. Very few people would want to be associated with that level of Institutionalized Evil.

To sum it up, the Imperial Galatic Museum portrayed Darth Vader as the Last of the True Jedi, and Anakin Skywalker was probably summed up as so many other Jedi were: "Killed in the Clone Wars".

Whill
31 March 2010, 08:25 PM
(Grand Moff Tarkin was probably one of the few who knew the true identity of Darth Vader.)

I like the Star Wars Insider provided history that Anakin Skywalker was killed by Darth Vader in the Jedi Temple for several reasons:

1) It symbolizes the real internal struggle betwen the two identities. Yes, Anakin cut off Mace Windu's hand and allowed Palpatine to kill him, but that pales in comparison to all the evil that Anakin did at the Jedi Temple. He massacred the Jedi, including killing defenseless children in cold blood. That's when the majority of the good man inside Anakin was destoyed (by himself). Vader killed Anakin in the Temple, from a certain point of view.

2) I don't think Palpatine would want Anakin, one of the most famous Jedi, to be remembered as a hero because Palpatine's rise to power was partially motivated by the revenge of the Sith against the Jedi. Anakin/Vader represents that in one person. The Sith took the Jedi's Chosen One and converted him to a Sith "hero" who destroyed the Jedi instead. Anakin's transformation into Vader is one of Palpatine's proudest accomplishments, but a secret one. Darth Vader, Lord of the Sith, killing Anakin Skywalker, the Hero without Fear and rumoured Chosen One of the Jedi, whould serve a public statement about the superiority of the Imperial Sith over the rebellious Jedi without the public knowing that Vader really was Anakin.

3) Vader's true identity as Anakin can't be public, because then it would have been too easy for Luke to have discovered that before Vader told him on Bespin. I like the idea that after Obi-Wan told Luke that Vader had killed his father, Luke may have had a chance to investigate his father's life sometime in the three years in between ANH and TESB. Luke would find official Imperial records that indeed indicate that Anakin Skywalker was one of the Jedi killed by Darth Vader at the end of the Clone Wars. That would back up Obi-Wan's lie, and still allow for Luke to be surprised and devastated to find out that Vader actually was Anakin.