PDA

View Full Version : Jousting...

wolverine
4 November 2001, 08:11 AM
Say i was wishing for the characters to get stranded on a planet who was still in the medevil state of tech. Then the payers get inruigued in makeing a name for themselves by getting involved in jousting competitions... How would one run it? What skills (other than beast riding) would be used?

Sabre
4 November 2001, 11:33 AM
What an interesting set of mechanics this would be...

First, the basics:
Striking: Melee Combat (S) Lance
Blocking: Melee Parry (S) Shields
Assuming you don't want a game to be fatal: Use Beast Riding instead of STR to determine damage.

If a strike lands...
By 0 to 3, difficulty to stay on your beast is very easy.
By 4 to 6, difficulty to stay on your beast is easy.
By 7 to 9, difficulty to stay on your beast is moderate.
By 10 to 12, difficulty to stay on your beast is difficult.
By 13 to 15, difficulty to stay on your beast is very difficult.
By 16+, difficulty to stay on your beast is heroic.

To make it more challenging, add the beast's Orneriness code to the difficulty to stay on. If this is a protracted theme in the campaign, it makes training your mount's orneriness code down a pretty important thing.

The risk of injury:
No combat sport is entirely safe. Particularly not one where two people with poles collide with each other head on.
Typical Lance: Body 2D Damage: +2 + STR (In this case the speed of the two creatures treated as a head on collision).

Shattering: Lances are not the most sturdy of all weapons. Whenever they inflict damage, roll the body code of the lance.
Damage beats Body by
0-5 The lance loses 1D of body code.
6-10 The lance splinters and must be replaced.
11-15 The lance snaps in half.
16+ The lance shatters. Use grenade scatter diagram. Roll three times. The closest targets in those three directions take 3D damage from flying shards.

Typical Chainmail: +1D PHY -1D DEX
Typical Shield: Provides 1/2 cover Body 3D (+1D vs phy)

Damage is inflicted when the enemy hits the chainmail directly instead of the shield, and when a contestant falls from their animal. These are handled by using the same damage and fall damage rules from the book. Generally, if they hit the shield, you don't have to worry about a damage roll. Keeping your balance is another matter.

Lokar
4 November 2001, 12:06 PM
I would say strength would have to play a role, since jousting is 'pushing' the other off his horse.

Kayle Skolaris
4 November 2001, 04:05 PM
I personally suggest making a new skill: Jousting. Make it an Advanced skill based off of Beast Riding. The skill is used for "to-hit" rolls and any "retain mounting" rolls. Damage is figured using the mount's strength, not the rider, and 1D should be added to damage for every 5 or 10 points of movement. Most jousting runs will be done using the animal's "all-out" speed, so multiply its standard speed by four before figuring damage bonuses for speed. For instance, a Coynite riding a Tris (base move 16) will be charging his opponent at a speed of 64. Let's say you go with the 1D per 10 movement points, that's 6D + the Tris' strength of 5D + 2D for using a Coyn'skar as your jousting weapon (a logical assumption) for a total of 13D damage. If you use the 1D per 5 points of move that jumps to 19D damage.

Sabre
4 November 2001, 09:16 PM
That's why weapons have max damages.

Kayle Skolaris
4 November 2001, 09:31 PM
Funny you should mention that. Coyn'skars don't have a listed maximum damage. :D

wolverine
5 November 2001, 02:28 AM
Intresting... Keep those idea's coming.

Sithspawn
5 November 2001, 10:06 AM
If you look below my name it says Dark Lord, Warriors of Gar. GAR is a home-brew medieval world, and yes, we've had jousts.

Each Knight must perform Beast Riding, and Melee, with Melee Parry optional.

Beast Riding roll is vs. the horse's orneriness code.

Melee difficulty with a Lance is 20 or opponents Melee Parry (no Full Parry is possible)

The Knight with the highest Melee score dismounts his opponent (applying any damage). The Knights re-joust in the event of neither Knight being dismounted.

Difficulty Modifiers

Melee from mount - Damage +1D

Defending from Mounted opponent - Melee Parry / Dodge +1D

These rules are pretty simple, but I'm not one for making complicated rules. Quick and easy makes for a smoother game IMHO.

Gar will be discribed on my web page as soon as I get chance to upload the new site.

Kayle Skolaris
7 November 2001, 04:08 AM
Sounds reasonable to me...

wolverine
4 April 2003, 05:47 AM
Well.. since i am in the mood for 'resurection' of old threads for more input, let's get this one going again...

Sithspawn
4 April 2003, 08:51 AM
Well I revamped my Jousting rules applying the Jousting rules from the movie 'A Knights Tale'.

Joustings on Gar (http://www.ugavine.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Gar3.htm)

wolverine
11 October 2005, 07:04 PM
By my dark powers, i command thee..

ARISE!8o 8o

Jericho_Narcas
14 October 2005, 04:50 AM
I feel the existing rules can be used to simulate jousting combat fairly well. I might make a few changes, such as requiring a beast riding check to remained horsed on any stun result, and a more difficult check to remain mounted anytime the character is wounded. On an incapacitated result or greater, of course, the character is knocked from his mount. I like to keep things simple.

While I don't really have anything else to add as far as jousting rules go, I do have a non-player character from a medieval world that some of you may find interesting. He's not much of a jouster, though -- his main weapon is the sword.

Sir Gresham the Paladin

Human Paladin
DEX 3D Melee Combat 4D, Melee Parry 5D+1, (S)Melee Combat: Sword 7D
KNO 2D
MEC 2D (S)Beast Riding: Horse 3D
PER 3D
STR 3D (S)Brawling: Martial Arts 4D
TEC 2D First Aid 3D+1

force points: 4, dark side points: 0, character points: 4

Control: 4D+2 Sense: 4D Alter: 3D+2
Control Powers: Control Pain, Enhance Attribute, Accelerate Healing, Reduce Injury, Remain Conscious
Sense Powers: Sense Force, Life Detection, Danger Sense, Combat Sense
Alter Powers: Telekinesis
Control and Alter Powers: Control Another's Pain, Accelerate Another's Healing, Transfer Force

Equipment: Plate Mail Armor (+1D+1 vs. physical, +1 vs. energy, -2 DEX penalty), Sword (STR+2D, diff: 15)