PDA

View Full Version : Best Ranged Weapons

Kayle Skolaris
18 November 2001, 04:22 PM
Of the above choices, which one do you consider the best?

Please restrict your "Other" replies to man-portable weaponry.

Arlin Bel'Corvis
18 November 2001, 04:41 PM
Best in what way? If its best weapon for a wookie... I'd say bowcaster... Against big vehicles like AT-STs and AT-ATs.. I'd say rocket launcher... But if its just general over all usefullness in combat situations most sentients would find themselves in, I'd have to go with a Blaster of somekind...

Kayle Skolaris
18 November 2001, 04:49 PM
Best in your personal opinion...

Kyndig_Episte
18 November 2001, 05:03 PM
well, blasters are more versitile and come in many different shapes and sizes. in my opinion they are the best overall weapon, with the others being more specialized.

Kayle Skolaris
18 November 2001, 05:11 PM
I mostly agree with you with two exceptions. ChemPro Slugthrowers are easily more versatile than blasters (can be silenced and flash suppressed) and Sonic weapons have the potential to be nearly as versatile as a blaster. The one area where a blaster prevails over a sonic weapon is in a vacuum.

Kayle Skolaris
18 November 2001, 05:12 PM
That having been said, I still like the flechette launcher best! 5D Speeder Scale in a multi-shot man-portable package! 8o 8o 8o

Arlin Bel'Corvis
18 November 2001, 05:21 PM
Ya know what... I wish I could go back and change my vote to other... Death Star II superlaser...

Dragon495
18 November 2001, 05:33 PM
I would go with a slugthrower. Even though in Star Wars, everything is more protected against physical attacks, just having an exploding bullet, acid-filled bullet, or just the plane old bio-chemical bullet just makes you wonder why people don't use them more often. :D

Kyndig_Episte
18 November 2001, 05:36 PM
well, since i haven't really looked at much of what WEG put out i don't know much about the different slugthrowers so i don't all the different slugthrowers so i was just going on what i know maybe i need to read more WEG stuff.

Dragon495
18 November 2001, 05:48 PM
True, blasters do more damage than slugthrowers. And they are used a bit more widely than slugthrowers. But the versatility of the slugthrower is much better. Like Kayle said, they can be supressed in several ways (sound, sight, etc) and work even in space. Plus, they different types of bullets out there, and the types of chemicals used to propell them is wide and vary.

elquemis
18 November 2001, 06:03 PM
Other: Far Sight XR-20 from Perfect Dark. :D

Geez, I've got to play fewer video games...

...or at least make more of them Star Wars games.

Arlin Bel'Corvis
18 November 2001, 06:10 PM
Mmmmm... Farsight... Campers bestest friend...

Grimace
18 November 2001, 06:11 PM
I chose "other". GM created weapons are best. I once created an "organic" weapon that used biologically created concentrated acid as a projectile. If it hit a soft target, it penetrated and then began to eat away at the insides of the target. If it hit a hard target, it would be stopped, but then the acid would kick in and possibly eat through the armor and into the target beyond. The acid would lose it's dangerous concentration the more it ate through, so that it didn't eat through the target, the floor, the ships hull and thus cause problems.

So my choice is for GM created weapons being best.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
18 November 2001, 06:34 PM
Its all aobut using the Force to hurl a handful of pebbles at a squad of advancing Stormtroopers.

Kayle Skolaris
18 November 2001, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by FrobiWanKenobi
Its all aobut using the Force to hurl a handful of pebbles at a squad of advancing Stormtroopers.

"That's the stupidest idea since Greedo shooting first!" :D:D:D

saucercrab
18 November 2001, 06:41 PM
Again, I had to vote for 'other': the Galaxy Gun. What other SW weapon can hit something in another star system? It's as good as the Death Star superlaser but with better range.

Much better range.

Like, hundreds of light years better.

Kayle Skolaris
18 November 2001, 06:50 PM
I should've been more specific. I meant for this to be limited to man-portable weaponry only. Time to do an edit!

saucercrab
18 November 2001, 06:54 PM
Since you meant personal-type weapons, 'other' can include a thrown lightsaber! :D

Corsair
18 November 2001, 08:20 PM
Hmmm. Seems everyone's a comedian ... or just being a smart-rear end of human :D .

I would've liked to get specific and say blaster carbine, purely coz you get 3d8 damage and stun capability. But again, it depends on what you want to tailor your character to using.

A person who has jacked up their finess and focus (and any other feats) in a carbine can be just as lethal as someone who has done the same thing with a slugthrower of some sort.

Kayle Skolaris
18 November 2001, 08:27 PM
Unless, of course, the slugthrower in question is a Golon Arms FC1 Flechette Launcher with Anti-Vehicular loads! :D:D:D

Arlin Bel'Corvis
18 November 2001, 08:39 PM
But you have Slugthrower and Flechette Launcher in 2 separate categories.. *nods*

Corsair
18 November 2001, 08:42 PM
Just a question.

Are the stats for these Flechette Launchers on this site .. or are they all under WEG rules .. coz WOTC don't have anything on the Flechette Launchers (I don't think). ???

darth maim
18 November 2001, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Corsair
Just a question.

Are the stats for these Flechette Launchers on this site .. or are they all under WEG rules .. coz WOTC don't have anything on the Flechette Launchers (I don't think). ??? Actually I believe there are stats in D20 for this (maybe in the DSSB or gamer #5 but I'd have to check). Maybe I'll do some digging and when I find it I'll post where. I'm pretty sure they had it either listed with some Darksider or Boba Fett in the CR under the weapons of Boba Fett... look in those 3 places and see if you find it.

darth maim
18 November 2001, 09:30 PM
By the way I voted rail guns becauseI used to play Rifts... I'm not sure how similar they are in SW.... are they D6?

Corsair
18 November 2001, 10:10 PM
Thnx maim. I'll have a look. If you do come across it though please tell me ... I have a history of incompetence when it comes to these tasks ... calculating the shortest route from the outer rim to Coruscant I can do .. but research... I just plain suck. :p

Aldaric
18 November 2001, 11:23 PM
nothing quite intimidates as well as a flamethrower . . . well except maybe a lightsaber

for a slugthrower I like the Morellian Weapons Comglomerate .48-cal. slugthrower pistol :D

carbines are underrated

Kayle Skolaris
19 November 2001, 02:19 AM
I listed the Flechette launcher seperately because it works in a significantly different fashion from normal slugthrowers. For one thing, they fire a cluster of projectiles in a fashion similar to a shotgun, only instead of spherical shot, the weapon fires razor-sharp slivers of metal. These slivers tumble madly upon entering a body turning each metallic shard into a tiny buzzsaw blade. The results usually require a mop and a bucket to clean up. That's the anti-personnel load. The anti-vehicular load fires a single hollow cylinder of depleted uranium (actually that's just personal speculation, but it sure does sound impressive! :D) capable of penetrating everything up to and including repulsortank armor.

So in the end, the Flechette Launcher is more of a squad support weapon like a modern LAW-72 rocket launcher or a mortar. That's why I listed it seperate from the other slugthrowers.

saucercrab
19 November 2001, 10:04 AM
maim,
Railguns do exist in SW (well, D6 anyway), but they don't have the 'punch' that they do in Rifts. The only example of one in SW that I know of is the neural inhibitor found in WEG's Bounty Hunter Galaxy Guide. It comes in two flavors: pistol or rifle, & packs a powerful paralytic poison on the rounds. The inhibitor is meant more as a delivery system for the toxin than as a damage inflictor.

Frzz Drubar
19 November 2001, 01:05 PM
is definitely overlooked
Stun
Range
Damage
and Crits

so I chose Blasters but that is my favorite one

also where are there d20 stats for grenade launchers and the various grenade types and effects. I tried to extrapolate from Boba Fett but there wasn't a whole lot of info as far as stun effect etc

help?

Dr_Worm
19 November 2001, 01:42 PM
I choose other: Magna Caster. It is silent, produces no light, and does a good amount of damage. The only drawbacks are range and ammo, but they are not so big as to keep me from loving it.

Kayle Skolaris
19 November 2001, 08:28 PM
There's a few more examples of electromagnetic railguns other than the neural inhibitor. I'll have to look around to find specific examples. Unfortunately I know for a fact that none of them compare to a SAMAS railgun or a Glitter Boy Boomgun.

Krad-edis
19 November 2001, 09:14 PM
I would like to see Darth Maul block all the bullets from incoming minigun fire.

There is no dissipation of energy involving shotgun blasts or high caliber bullets (or bullets in general), so I think even someone like Vader might stear clear of that.

I think slugthrowers are under rated due to everyone seeing just blasters in the movies. But I certainly voted for them for these reasons.

-high rate of fire

-inexpensive to manufacture, and certainly less technical when it comes to repairing/modifying

-can't be deflected or reflected by lightsabers (maybe richochet of walls)

-I have never heard a Sith Lord say "Bullets do not concern me."

- If they can be found in backwater worlds (muskets, flintlocks, revolvers, semiauto, full auto), they certainly would be available just about anywhere even though I have seen them being listed as 2,F. I rate them as 1,F.
Just about anyone can come up with a way at making a primative gun.....I don't think the same is the fact with blasters.

They seem cool. Especially when hunting Jedi.

Chik Chik....Boom! Dissipate that! Awe, 12 guage not dissipate to well? Wow....exploding blue flames.

Kayle Skolaris
19 November 2001, 09:19 PM
I'd like to see Maul block even ONE bullet. One can visually track a blaster bolt, but seeing bullets in flight simply isn't possible.

Krad-edis
19 November 2001, 09:23 PM
Yeah, Kayle, I agree. Even with powers like Enhance Coordination, Shift Sense, and Lightsaber Combat, it is next to impossible. I just think it would be cool to see the look on Darth Maul's face if Arnold Schwarzeneggar popped by and said "Hasta la vista, ugly.", and then proceeded to light up the countryside with an arsenal Duke Nukem would be proud of.

Kayle Skolaris
19 November 2001, 09:27 PM
"Panther Assault Cannon! Say it with Sabots!" :D:p:D

Wade Trenor
19 November 2001, 09:28 PM
Not entirely sure on Lightsabers vs Slugs, but the Lightsaber blade is super-heated. The blade could vaporise the slug before it hit. The Force tells the character where to defend himself, so that's not a problem.
I've read all the Rise of the Empire EU stuff, but not much of the New Republic/ NJO books. The only real piece of evidence I have is Jedi Power Battles, where Tuskens use Slugthrowers, and you can deflect them (could just be a game mechanic).

Kayle Skolaris
19 November 2001, 09:34 PM
The blade is NOT superheated, it merely causes objects brought in contact with it to superheat. If it were superheated a Jedi couldn't even hold the thing without constant use of Absorb/Dissipate energy.

darth maim
19 November 2001, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Wade Trenor
Not entirely sure on Lightsabers vs Slugs, but the Lightsaber blade is super-heated. The blade could vaporise the slug before it hit. The Force tells the character where to defend himself, so that's not a problem.
I've read all the Rise of the Empire EU stuff, but not much of the New Republic/ NJO books. The only real piece of evidence I have is Jedi Power Battles, where Tuskens use Slugthrowers, and you can deflect them (could just be a game mechanic).

Actually my thought on this is that the blade would actually turn it to slag rather than vaporize it... thus sending melted superhot liquid metal to hit the defender (which could be you) it should do some substantial damage and for multiple rounds...

Corsair
19 November 2001, 09:45 PM
Hehehe. Wade is not thinking right because he should be studying for his exams instead of spending his time on the Holonet.

The blade is not superheated of course, it is just a beam of light (hence lightsaber :p ). But, as the slugthrower shoots out objects instead of beams of light, instead of getting deflected, it would get melted be evaporated.

darth maim
19 November 2001, 09:46 PM
An example of this is in EP1 when Qui Gon and Obi Wan melt through the doors...the blast doors didn't simply vaporize... rather the metal melted into a type of magma and ran down from the pointof entry.

Kayle Skolaris
19 November 2001, 09:48 PM
I hate to nitpick (okay, that's a lie. I LOVE to nitpick) but a lightsabre's blade doesn't work like a "beam of light" or a laser would. For one thing, another lightsabre blade will block it, something two intersecting lasers would never do.

Kayle Skolaris
19 November 2001, 09:51 PM
Maim, there's a world of difference between an inch long lead slug and four-foot thick blast doors made of an unknown but certainly sturdier-than-lead metal. It's entirely possible that if a lightsabre blade did make contact with a lead slug it would flash-heat it to vapourisation termporature.

saucercrab
19 November 2001, 09:56 PM
Kayle,
A Jedi doesn't block shots just by seeing them. That's what Lightsaber Combat/Deflect Blasters is for; a Force power that helps a Jedi sense an incoming shot. The Force guides the Jedi's hands to block shots; it's not just his sight.

Plus, in d20, 'sabers can block, but not deflect, projectiles (not just blaster bolts). Oh well, different rules & all that.

Ah, the Boom Gun. The perfect anti-[fill in the blank] weapon.

Gulmyros
19 November 2001, 10:01 PM
How is it that no matter the topic, 4 out of 5 dentists recommend Trident to their patients who chew gum, and coincidentally, they all insist that we discuss the unknown mechanics of lightsabers interacting with slugthrowers....

*sigh*

Anyway, I recommend grabbing a repeating blaster and the required skills and or feats in your system to taste, and mowing down the opposition.

:)

Gully

Kayle Skolaris
19 November 2001, 10:03 PM
Prescient knowledge of where an incoming attack is going to be still isn't going to help one bit if one's reflexes aren't up to the job of blocking the attack. Using the earlier chaingun example, do you really think a Jedi can block 100+ 5.56mm rounds every SECOND? If so, what evidence of this level of speed do you have? Qui-Gonn and Obi-Wan running around the Trade Federation ship isn't sufficient since we could still see them. You wouldn't be able to follow the movements of an arm wielding a sabre that fast.

Kayle Skolaris
19 November 2001, 10:05 PM
Heh... Speaking of repeating blasters, if you don't have a chaingun handy to fight a Jedi but have your pick of blaster types, take an ESPO Riot Gun... On full-auto, it spits out 6 bolts every second or 30 bolts every 5-second D6 combat round.

P.S., ever notice that when scaling that "4 out of 5 dentists" up to, ohhhh say 5,000 dentists you're still left with 1,000 dentists who DIDN'T suggest Trident gum?

Gulmyros
19 November 2001, 10:08 PM
Agreed, but more importantly, make sure you're far enough away from the Jedi.

With enough blasts in their direction, some are bound to get past that pesky saber and deal some damage.

But the ones that are blocked MIGHT be directed back to you. So you should make sure to be far enough away to apply serious range penalties to the Jedi on his reflecting aim... (and in d20, I believe there's a max range that something can be deflected - so know your weapon and choose your position carefully...)

Gully

saucercrab
19 November 2001, 10:14 PM
No, I don't think a Jedi could block hundreds of rounds; I also don't think one could block that many blaster bolts.

A Jedi using a 'saber can sense where a person is going to shoot/aim for & move the 'saber to intercept. As long as a Jedi has better reaction time than an opponent (& most do) the Jedi can move his 'saber as the opponent shoots; I don't think he would wait for the gun to go off first.

And I thought riot guns had a maximum rate of fire in a round?

Kayle Skolaris
19 November 2001, 10:19 PM
ESPO Riot Guns are ENTIRELY different from standard riot guns. The Corporate Sector Authority Security Police (S-Po's = Espos) subscribe to the Tianenmen Square school of crowd control. Hose down the area with automatic blaster fire and wait for the survivors to disperse.

saucercrab
19 November 2001, 10:50 PM
I am referring to the Espo riot gun, the one listed in WEG's Han Solo & the Corporate Sector. I thought they had a maximum rate of fire.

Kayle Skolaris
19 November 2001, 11:14 PM
I'm looking at the description right now in the CSA sourcebook. On constant fire mode, each "shot" fires five blasts, holding the trigger down fires six "shots" per round.

saucercrab
19 November 2001, 11:27 PM
Oh, I thought they had a Fire Rate, like some weapons do.

wolverine
20 November 2001, 05:55 AM
I subscribe to the chain gun or shot gun.

But for total suprise value for a jedi, try holding a large pouch of gunpowder, and flinging the contents into the jedi. Instinctive reaction is to put blade in way, FLAMBE'd face....

Emperor Xanderich II
20 November 2001, 09:23 AM
A Jedi should be able to block shots from a Riot Gun, for this reason.

Most of the shots go places other than the target, that is why the damage rating is what it is and that even though 6 shots are fired, a hit is only counted a one hit.

If you were stood point-blank then maybe, but being stood point-blank next to a Jedi with a lightsabre is a tad risky...8o

Kayle Skolaris
20 November 2001, 07:34 PM
Why Xanderich, who says I'm aiming at the Jedi with my riot gun? I'm aiming for the crowd around him! *sadistic grin* And believe me, he'll be TRYING to block them all after the first couple innocent bystanders go down...

Corsair
20 November 2001, 09:06 PM
Well .. it is the Jedi Code to protect the people against danger .. he/she would have their work cut out for them if you managed to get 4 guys with riot guys shooting into the crowd around a Jedi ... thus making the Jedi focus on protecting the crowd .. while another member of your team takes careful aim at the Jedi ... *evil grin*

Heh. Your style is similar to a guy in our game Kayle.

"Kayle meet Wade Trenor .... our resident sadistic b*****d. Trenor .. meet Kayle ... an offplanet Lord of Sadistic B*****dism. ":D

Kayle Skolaris
20 November 2001, 10:08 PM
http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/ups/DeNiro/darth_maul.gif

Corsair
21 November 2001, 05:43 PM
Hehehehe. Simple reply yet very effective. I like. :D

Wileama
21 November 2001, 09:43 PM
Desicions descions desicions. I mean you got your gatling gun. You have your flettcet launcher. You have your rocket launcher that makes pretty explosions. One thing I had to cut out quickly was the flame thrower. While it's the almost perfect close range weapon it just so cruel. Burning alive is a pretty nasty way to go. I honestly think using that is leaning to the dark side. Anyway in the end the flettech launcher won. Though I have to say the glitter boy boom gun has it's appeal. :p

Corsair
21 November 2001, 09:55 PM
Are there any other types of Flechette Launchers other than the Palm Flechette Launcher that is on this site? I just want the info for any. Playing D20 though.

Kayle Skolaris
21 November 2001, 10:25 PM
Technically the boomgun IS a flechette launcher...

And if you like the gatling gun, flechette launcher, rocket launcher, how's this... A gatling gun that fires explosive-tipped flechettes?

Corsair, there's at least two other kinds of flechette launcher. What system do you use?

Donovan Morningfire
22 November 2001, 04:33 AM
If we're bringing non-SW weapons into the mix (like the glitterboy's boom gun; fires flechette rounds at speeds exceeding Mach 2), then I'd have to go with the SDF-3's (from the incredibly short-lived Robotech:Sentinels series) main cannon. All the firepower of the SDF-1's main cannon (everything in front of it is vaporized up to really long distances), but none of the drawbacks (thing needs to be repaired every time it's fired).

Going personal scale, I'd have to cast my lot with the Eldar Death Spinner. It works by casting a net made of monofiliament wires at the target. If target is snared, one tug and poor target is a pile of bloody, quivering sushi :D (In D20 terms, Reflex save or die, d6 Dodge roll exceed attack roll or die, no Strength roll to resist.)

Nova Spice
22 November 2001, 11:55 AM
Other: Centerpoint Station! :D

Hehe.....there's another weapon besides the Galaxy Gun that can hit something in another star system, and it comes in economy size!

Kayle Skolaris
22 November 2001, 01:54 PM
Didn't I edit the original post to specify MAN PORTABLE weaponry?

Oh, and as of the most recent information regarding Glitterboys, the flechettes are fired at speeds exceeding mach 5. Just a trivia tidbit, there.

Oh Donovan, if you ever get a chance, read a book called Tuf Voyaging by George R. R. Martin. There's a creature in there called a Walking Web that does virtually the same thing as that Eldar Death Spinner thingy, only it does it by hugging its victims!

Malkarris
22 November 2001, 02:00 PM
Well, about the Jedi vs. multiple bullets, who says that they need to use a lightsaber? I don't know about a Knight, but I can see Yoda or some other master holding out his hand, and all the bullets coming for him stopping dead in their tracks through TK. Either that, or hold a rock up in front of the bullets. Either way should work.

Anyway, I chose other: Longbow. Great sniper weapon. Has good long range, almost completely silent, and great shock value. Plus there's the benefit that if your enemy has any sort of morals, he will probably look after the wounded, and arrows cause some nasty wounds. Good way to slow down anyone following you.

Kayle Skolaris
22 November 2001, 02:35 PM
For saddling the enemy with casualties, two words: Mustard Gas.

Corsair
22 November 2001, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Kayle Skolaris
Technically the boomgun IS a flechette launcher...

And if you like the gatling gun, flechette launcher, rocket launcher, how's this... A gatling gun that fires explosive-tipped flechettes?

Corsair, there's at least two other kinds of flechette launcher. What system do you use?

I am using the D20 system Kayle. I just need to know where I can find the stats for all this stuff.

Kayle Skolaris
22 November 2001, 03:38 PM
I can supply D6 stats. If you can convert them or find someone to convert them for you I'll post them.

Corsair
22 November 2001, 03:52 PM
Yep, the D6 will be fine Kayle. I'm pretty sure my mate and I will be able to convert em ... we starting to get the hang of it after a bit of practice. Heh.

Kayle Skolaris
22 November 2001, 04:05 PM
Model: Salus DF-D1
Type: Flechette Rifle
Skill: Firearms or Armor Weapons
Ammo: 5
Availability: 3, R or X
Range: 3-10/30/60
Damage: 5D
Capsule: This gun fires twin cartridges filled with slivered shrapnel flechettes out its stubby double-barrel. It is a powerful weapon at short range, but it is not terribly accurate or effective at longer ranges.

Model: Golon Arms FC1 Flechette Launcher
Type: Flechette Launcher
Scale: Character
Skill: Missile Weapons
Ammo: 6 shots per canister
Cost: 800, 100 (anti-personnel canister), 200 (anti-vehicle canister)
Availability: 2, F, R, or X
Fire Rate: 1
Range: 5-25/100/250
Blast Radius: 0-1/3/5
Damage: 6D/5D/3D (anti-personnel), 5D/4D/3D (speeder scale, anti-vehicle)
Capsule: Flechette launchers are portable, shoulder-fired weapons that fire flechette canisters, which release scores of micro-darts in the blast area. They make excellent anti-personnel weapons, as they have the range of a rifle and the effectiveness of grenades. There is also an armor-piercing ammunition that can punch through heavy vehicle armor. Flechette canisters have computerized variable-range settings: the shooter must determine at what distance the flechette canister will explode.

Advisor
24 November 2001, 11:20 PM
Well Kayle ..... maybe I can mention the RTR here

RODIAN REPULSOR THROWING RAZOR

NUFF SAID!!!

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
25 November 2001, 11:59 AM
Because of the many types of blasters I will ahve to go with them. There are so many different kinds that you can almost always find one to fit he right situation.

A close runner up though is the flechette launcher, I once had a character who used it exclusiely, and he would just destroy enemy stromtrooper squads.

JediMasterMaya
27 November 2001, 12:13 AM
Mine : Bowcaster... 3d10 damage, and 19-20 critical! :D

Of course you've got to have a wookie in your party to see how efficient it can get (that is when the wookie actually hits the target of course...). Our wookie almost wiped out my assassin in 1 shot. Fortunately, he managed to escape on his turn before anyone could hit him again (2 blasters missed before it was his turn again, thank the Force for that)... he'd have been dead otherwise. Made 27 points of damage in 1 roll. Boy, I've got to think up higher level meanies now! :p

B.I.P
8 March 2002, 12:17 PM
WE ONCE MOUNTED A STARSHIP WEAPON TO A STEROID POPPING FORCE USEING WOOKIES POWER ARMOR DOES THAT COUNT?

Rick Vogt
8 March 2002, 03:35 PM
I voted Blasters.

I prefer the blaster carbine......it's fairly easily concealed...with an all-temp cloak on....it's got plenty of damage.......our group decided it is stun selectable......and it's crit range is ok..........and in general it's a fairly easy to use weapon with good possibilities on personalization. It will work in most conditions........and above all I like the looks of them.

Just my 2 creds worth. B)

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
8 March 2002, 04:07 PM
blasters and... knives ...

hold-out blasters since they're compact and concealable.. and make a nice "ace card" when one least expects it... can do a nasty well placed shot with them...

high tech, low tech... what about simple weapons???

more of a hand to hand thing with the knives... but silent and brutally effective when used with sneak attacks... when sneaking up on a gaurd or two... aim and throw! well, ya know the rest... :)

wolverine
9 March 2002, 08:14 AM
After playing several games recently where my character actually used them, i will put in a vote for BOWS!!!!!!! Especially barbed tip....

Kayle Skolaris
9 March 2002, 08:34 AM
Personally, I'm in a shoulder-launched tac-nuke phase at the moment... I'm sure it'll pass soon, though. :D:p:D

home_one
14 April 2004, 06:47 PM
Two RCP-90s from GoldenEye.

That or the Golden Gun.

Darth Bile
14 April 2004, 09:01 PM
I went with other, the force is the best weapon out there, you can walk in almost all area's without a weapon of any sort and still wipe out the room with just your mind or the whole planet if you were powerful enough.

Jedi Wrestler
15 April 2004, 07:22 AM
I found it hard to honestly answer the question because I'm not sure what "best" really means.

Are we talking pure punching power?

Versatility?

Sneaky campaign?

Against force opponents to overcome lightsabers?

If you want to say ALL catagories it is hard not to vote blasters because there just are so many of those throughout all the resources.

But I must make the case for the magna caster (d6 & d20). Range, damage, silence, crit, small size (easy to hide).

The ability to silently plow a giant hole through an opponent from decent range with a weapon which is easily concealed is hard to ignore.

If you want to talk pure kill the PCs, cheese grenades are the best ranged weapons because they ignore the defensive capability of the target.

Ronin
15 April 2004, 08:07 AM
I'll go with blasters (keeping in-game, and in-movie).

Getting specific (and out-of-movie) the Merr-Sonn Rotary Underarm Blaster Carbine...
or the SoroSuub Duo-Blaster Rifle...

getting outta-SW...
M41 Pulse Rifle

getting nasty:
fist full of sand threwn into the eyes

Kyle Pantrakahs
15 April 2004, 08:11 AM
Blasters are tried and true, but I gotta tell ya, I loves me a nice flamethrower. Mmm...fire...:D

Jedi Wrestler
15 April 2004, 08:30 AM
Ronin managed to mention two of the four of the most nasty blaster. The other two:

1) disruptor blastr pistols a small weapon that discintegrates and forces a lot of reflex saving throws to avoid disappearing.

2) Alien Sonic Blaster Pistol (I forgot the exact name, it is in the Alien Races book). It is a "blaster pistol" that has a decent range (20m I think), does 5d6 damage AND is small. Can you say multiweapon fighting? Only down side is no crit, but who cares if you do over 100 points of damage per round.

JediJester
15 April 2004, 08:30 AM
Personally, I'll take my character's suit of GTU AV-1A Assault Armor mounted with two E-web cannons, rocket launcher, and a flamethrower. A minireactor has been mounted to it to power the guns and personal deflector shields.

Jedi Wrestler
15 April 2004, 08:32 AM
I guess you don't try and "sneak in" very often?

coldskier0320
15 April 2004, 09:00 AM
Double-post. Sorry guys!

coldskier0320
15 April 2004, 09:01 AM
Other: Verpine Shatter Gun. All the best features of a Magna Caster, a 12 gauge, and a flechette launcher. C'mon! All this in a nice little compact package. That's my baby, any day. Also try throwing that at your local flashlight swinger. He can't possibly deflect all those little shards, and 6d6 damage (d20) wont leave much of the poor guy left for the Jedi Investigators to sift through.

;)

Jedi Wrestler
15 April 2004, 09:34 AM
Preach it Brother!

I see the Verpine Shatter Gun as the ultimate Magna Caster. It is the reason I voted rail gun.

Dread Pirate Roberts
15 April 2004, 11:01 AM
Railguns definitely.
Anyone here play Warhammer 40,000?
Three words. Tau Broadside Battlesuit.
They could take out an AT-AT with a single shot. Beat that lightsaber boy! These things ignite the air behind them for cryin' out loud! And if you want to get technical about man portable there's alway the pathfinder Rail Rifle from Fire Warrior. Take out an AT-ST with a single well placed hypervelocitized dart!
Anyway my answer is obviuos.

Dread Pirate Roberts
15 April 2004, 11:04 AM
Plus the Rail Rifle just makes a dull thud when fired. Talk about sneak attack!

Kayle Skolaris
15 April 2004, 05:12 PM
I still like the Golon Arms FC1 Flechette Launcher. Nothing says "this is gonna leave a mark" quite like 5D Speeder Scale damage from an anti-vehicular canister. And no, I don't care much for sneaking about. :D

JediJester
16 April 2004, 09:44 AM
Jedi Wrestler wrote:
I guess you don't try and "sneak in" very often?

Oh, oops, forgot to mention the 3000 watt sound system built into the suit's exterior used for blasting opera whenever you go into battle. The character of mine who owns that suit is an insane pyromaniac. He doesn't believe in stealth. His theory is that you be as loud as you can and all of your enemies will come to you so you can shoot them.

Wesly Senesca
16 April 2004, 10:55 AM
Stouker Concussion Rifle:D
If you hafta kill every muthaf#$&er in the room, accept no substitutes!B)

wolverine
16 April 2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Wesly Senesca
Stouker Concussion Rifle:D
If you hafta kill every muthaf#$&er in the room, accept no substitutes!B)

I prefer tha Prax arms HB4. When you absolutly have to reach out and touch someone.... 8km range MAN talk about reaching out!!!

Kayle Skolaris
16 April 2004, 09:42 PM
Voila: the ZF-1. It's light. Handle's adjustable for easy carrying; good for righties and lefties. Breaks down into 4 parts, undetectable by x-ray; ideal for quick, discreet interventions. A word on firepower. Three thousand round clip with bursts of 3 to 300. With the Replay button (another Zorg invention) it's even easier. One shot, and Replay sends every following shot to the same location. And to finish the job, all the Zorg oldies but goldies. Rocket launcher. Arrow launcher, with explodin' and poisonous gas heads. Very practical. Our famous net launcher. The ALWAYS efficient flame-thrower. My favorite. And for the Grand Finale, the all new "Ice Cube System."

:D:D:D

Grimace
16 April 2004, 11:48 PM
Hey Kayle, you forgot the sounds effects at the appropriate places! :D

I loved that show. Hrm....D6 stats for it.....8o

Ronin
17 April 2004, 04:15 AM
I remember the ZF-1 is on this site somewhere....from maybe four years ago?!

p.s. you forgot to mention the red button! 8o

JediJester
17 April 2004, 11:28 AM
No, you're not supposed to mention the red button unless they ask about it. (differentiates between the killers and the thugs).

Dr_Worm
18 April 2004, 03:23 PM
the reason I chose Magnacaster over the Verpine Shatter Gun is that I cannot imgine a GM letting me use one in a game. They are a bit broken. The fragility is a libility but not a huge one IMO.

Kayle Skolaris
18 April 2004, 10:14 PM
Well there's always that 30,000 credit price tag... And if that's the legal cost, the black market cost is likely more in the 150,000 credit price range.

Wesly Senesca
19 April 2004, 06:40 PM
8km range MAN talk about reaching out!!!
AT&T eat your heart out! :D

I loved that show. Hrm....D6 stats for it.....8o
I love that movie, too.
But what about D20 stats for it? 8o 8o Could you imagine the amount of paper all that weaponry data would fill? It'd be its own sheet! 7 different weapons--some of which need rule clarrification to accurately represent the movie effects.