PDA

View Full Version : Custom Mini Advice?

Jedi_Shadow
8 February 2008, 10:25 PM
So I occasionally take a gander at the miniatures (and related products) as well as the custom mini series on the WotC official site, and I get the bug to make miniatures of the current campaign group my friends and I are running. The problem is that a lot of the components (heads, bodies, etc.) are found on R and VR minis. Is there a feasible way to get a hold of these that won't tax my searching abilities or my pocketbook? Is it worth the effort, especially when we don't really incorporate miniature play into our gameplay (though it's been considered)?

Darth Jerrod
9 February 2008, 10:24 AM
If the thought of cutting up a R or VR scares you then I would take the idea of custom mini's off the table or work within the numerous C and UC mini's that are out there.

I myself would have to have a bunch of the R or VR to even concider doing a cut up. I think I would cry as I did the cutting and everytime I saw a bit from that particular mini.

I would also look at the D&D mini's for sources as well.

Admiral Zaarin
9 February 2008, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I have a very unsteady hand; I wouldn't dare trying customizing, as cool as it could be.

boccelounge
9 February 2008, 03:20 PM
Personally, I'd do it myself... but I love that kinds thing (not that I get a chance to anymore). But a friend of mine uses BlueTable Painting (http://www.bluetablepainting.com) (link), and swears by them.

He's an avid (avid!) collector of vintage BloodBowl minis, and he often has entire teams painted up there-- he ships the figures out, and they ship them back. My impression is they're fairly quick, pretty good, and fairly expensive-- which may not be what you're looking for. But give it a look.

Darth Jerrod
9 February 2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks for that link, I had heard of them before I know some peeps that might use him.

I like painting myself but we dont game as much as we used or like we should. Painting is one of those things I used in games where if I was split from the party I used as a way to not get player knowledge of things I should not know.

Plus it then promotes roleplaying as I make the party members inform me of things rather than just say "oh you know it already"

I like to paint at the table for the party. man... I think I am going to cry I miss it so much.

Stratos
13 February 2008, 04:22 AM
I cut up and repaint R/VR minis all the time for my RPG campaign. Have a Dash, Greedo, and Maul sitting on my table in various stages of customization. :)

I use inexpensive crafters paint for Joann's and Michaels. I swear by them. I have access to Citadel paints by GW from the store I work at but they're so thin I seldom use them. Some great colors for mixing and shading but not solid coloring. The nice thing with straight repaints of WOTC and WIZKIDS minis is that they don't really require priming unless you've actually used unpainted bits or greenstuff on them to enhance them. The paint takes said crafters paint very well.

And when I finish ANY miniature I use Testors Dull Coat for a perfect sealed finish. ALL other sealants I've tried leaves a sheen of some type so I don't use them unless I want a sheen (many SW minis have a sheen so it'd be ok depending... but I don't like sheen as a rule of thumb... expect maybe clean armor or on certain aliens).

Jedi_Shadow
13 February 2008, 04:56 AM
Yeah, my concern isn't in cutting up R/VR minis (I'm getting them specifically for this, and not for any collectible value), but the cost and difficulty in procuring them. Is it worth the trouble, or should I just find more common pieces to work with?

Stratos
13 February 2008, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by Jedi_Shadow
Yeah, my concern isn't in cutting up R/VR minis (I'm getting them specifically for this, and not for any collectible value), but the cost and difficulty in procuring them. Is it worth the trouble, or should I just find more common pieces to work with?

Honestly depends on the Mini. I have a guy I use on eBay that has a flat-rate shipping and he's one of the most inexpensive sellers I've used for any collectible mini. His shipping is $3.50 in the US regardless if it's 1 or 100+ minis so I buy in bulk :)

I think I paid an average of $2.00 per mini for Bossk, Greedo, and Dash Rendar from him as Buy It Now auctions.

http://myworld.ebay.com/auggest