PDA

View Full Version : The Supreme GM's comment thread!!!

Arakyd
20 November 2001, 08:52 AM
Hello all!

Because of the special nature of this forum, I am opening this as a catch-all thread. If you have questions, comments, or complaints about this forum post them here.

Arakyd
20 November 2001, 09:16 AM
I have a few questions for you.

1. Do you want the archived RPG threads moved to this forum?

2. I am thinking of putting a 500 post limit for each thread, and then close it. What do you think?

3. Do you think members should ask for permission before they are allowed to start a new game?

Now I have a few comments.

1. Any dispute that can't be solved in a timely manner within the group will be decided by me.

2. I will not join in any games as a player.

3. If there are any cross-over wars between games. They will be watched very carefully. And will be stopped at the first sign of trouble.

4. Please, do not use red. I have real hard time reading anything in red.

Emperor Xanderich II
20 November 2001, 09:46 AM
1) Don't mind

2)500 posts sounds okay, it's pretty easy to start a new one. A reminder when they get close to the limit would be greatly appriciated.

3) Yep, to stop threads between two people as a chat, people should hava a legit reason for making a thread here. Otherwise it will just turn into C&M!!

This is cool!:)

Iris
20 November 2001, 12:22 PM
1) If you can move the archives that would be great. I know I don't refer to it often but occationally I have to get dusty. :)

2) 500 Posts sounds fair. I know we've (OotS) gotten into the habbit of starting a new thread at around 25 pages because anything more than that crashed the old versions of the boards.

3) I'm kinda torn on this one since sometimes an RP thread will spring out of no where (like OotS did). However, this isn't a boost your post count through BS section so perhaps the best thing would be for a representative of the group that wants a thread should PM you with the basic idea for the group. Once the group is created it should probably be watched to make sure it doesn't stray.... but you probably know this already. ;) Sorry, my mind is just running and I'm typing as it runs.

----

Now, my turn for a question...
Is it possible to set up an "Information" thread that can't be replied to for each group? The thread will contain either a basic synopsis, FAQ, or web link (or combination of the 3) for each group so people will be able to learn something about them quickly and easily?

I've been trying to put the OotS FAQ at the beginning of each thread for that reason; plus my web site for more detailed information. (If anyone looks at the site, it's not finished yet. I'm still missing Ship information and Character Histories for those who want to include them.)

Arakyd
20 November 2001, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Iris
Now, my turn for a question...
Is it possible to set up an "Information" thread that can't be replied to for each group? The thread will contain either a basic synopsis, FAQ, or web link (or combination of the 3) for each group so people will be able to learn something about them quickly and easily?

I've been trying to put the OotS FAQ at the beginning of each thread for that reason; plus my web site for more detailed information. (If anyone looks at the site, it's not finished yet. I'm still missing Ship information and Character Histories for those who want to include them.)

Sure, go ahead, post a thread and I will just close it after you are done. And if you need to edit it in the future just let me know and I will open it for you, and then close it again.

Lokar
20 November 2001, 07:10 PM
1) I'm cool with that. Too bad the orginal No Need to be Sober got lost in the last great purge. :(

2) 500 sounds about right. I would however like just one favor. The current NNTBS is at 460, and we are in the middle of the great No Need for a Race. While I think that we will be able to finish it in the next 40 post, but we might go over 500. I only ask that we can finish the race without having to start a new thread for the last couple of posts.

3) Well in NNTBS we usually sort out (by the curent owner) who will set up the next thread before the finish of the current one and transfer ownership in the last post. So we pretty much have the succession situation covered. As to completly new games, I would have to say that they should get in contact with you via PM and then post over in C&M to announce a new thread is starting up.

Now a question of my own: no red, but is this orthis or this okay? I only ask because we have one PC and one NPC whoes dialouge uses the red color and would like to find a way to keep the color schem while holding to one of the few rules here.

One more question, why don't post count in this threas as well? Does this include rants and fanfics as well? I know the last bit is a bit off the reservation, but I'm sure quite a few are asking.

Wileama
20 November 2001, 07:19 PM
::looks around at new forum:: It's pretty :)

Anyway

1) What ever achived threads you could get moved here would be great.

2) 500 is a fine cap with me. However like lokar said we in the No Need to be Sober would like to finish our race before closing if possible.

3) I agree that permission for a new game to start up should be granted. However I also feel that it's important that you allow some threads to be able to be moved. The origans of the bar was just some semi-random thread. So if something like that is spawned down in chaos and miscellanous it should have the right to be recongized as an RPG.

Anyway that's my take on it. Oh and like lokar asked, why do posts not count here? I saw you say they didn't in C&M and was kinda surpiresed. I was in an understanding that this forum allowed for RPGs to be recongized. Anyway it all seems good to me at the moment

Arakyd
21 November 2001, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Lokar
2) 500 sounds about right. I would however like just one favor. The current NNTBS is at 460, and we are in the middle of the great No Need for a Race. While I think that we will be able to finish it in the next 40 post, but we might go over 500. I only ask that we can finish the race without having to start a new thread for the last couple of posts.

Just let me know when the race is over, and I will close the thread no matter what the count is. That way, it will give you a fresh start in the new thread.

Now a question of my own: no red, but is this orthis or this okay? I only ask because we have one PC and one NPC whoes dialouge uses the red color and would like to find a way to keep the color schem while holding to one of the few rules here.

All shades of red. Sorry, I should have made that more clear.

One more question, why don't post count in this threas as well? Does this include rants and fanfics as well? I know the last bit is a bit off the reservation, but I'm sure quite a few are asking.

Honestly, I have no idea. This is something you will have to take up with Armage.

Grimace
21 November 2001, 07:27 AM
As per your request, Arakyd, I moved the archived roleplaying threads over to this forum. They're your babies now. ;)

My comments on the proposed rules/questions:
1 = Yes...obviously
2 = Sounds like a good idea. I thought about doing this myself in C&M just to keep the threads lower in pages for the reasons that Iris mentioned.
3 = Absolutely! You'll want to watch any new threads so that you don't have just anyone saying "I'm gonna make a new roleplaying thread, wanna join?" sort of thing.

Congrats on the new forum!

Grimace
21 November 2001, 07:29 AM
Oh, and I'll check with Armage on the post count thing. I, too, was under the impression the reason for making the RPG forum was so that the RPGers could have their posts count.

Arakyd
21 November 2001, 08:24 AM
Thanks for your help Grimace! :D

As Grimace said we are working on the post count thing.

jedibrass
22 November 2001, 04:21 PM
As Lokar was saying, we, the current leaders of the NNTBS (those who happen to talk w/ each other on AIM about it and one of which is the current propriator :D) have chosen a successor to Lokar after the NNTBS:ER's No Need for a Second Galactic Race is finshed and the thread closed. So, just to let the 'Power that is' here know, I have been chosen as the next bar propriator. This is to prevent any possible confusion in this forum mod's mind who exactly the next 'guy to blame for any thread problems' is :p. Now, onto my answers for your questions (hopefully these questions aren't graded :p)

1.) Yes, and thank you to both you and Grimace for doing so, for the ones that still exist at least(though I think I still have the original NNTBS thread on my computer up to a certain point, not sure, but I'll post here again if I find it so we can work out a way to get it back up and into this forum).

2.) 500 is good. :D

3.) Well, I have a slightly different take on this issue. Instead of someone asking to get a group started, something which might have prevented the NNTBS or maybe even the OotS from getting started up, why not let someone who wants to get an RPG going start a thread here, and if it gets members and they are RPGing in that thread: keep it, if it gets to be more of a chat than an RPG: move it to C&M, if nothing becomes of it: close it, if it degenerates into something non-RPG and is well "not good": close it & warn the offenders (those who helped it or let it degenerate) not to do so again.

Those are my takes on the issue. :)

Cheers,
~Jedibrass

Magik
28 April 2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Arakyd
[B]I have a few questions for you.

1. Do you want the archived RPG threads moved to this forum?

2. I am thinking of putting a 500 post limit for each thread, and then close it. What do you think?

3. Do you think members should ask for permission before they are allowed to start a new game?

1. Sure. Sounds good.

2. Even better! I do aske for a Notice of Impending Lock:)this way players will have a headsup to get ready to switch:)

3. Well before I read this I posted my "Setting" for a game. I apologise:) But a good Idea, an I am willing to take it down till permission, if it is, granted:)

All in all I thing this is an specky idea:)

Arakyd
29 April 2002, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Magik
3. Well before I read this I posted my "Setting" for a game. I apologise:) But a good Idea, an I am willing to take it down till permission, if it is, granted:)

Don't worry about it.

New qurstion:

Shaould I delete threads that seem not to be getting any players?

And how long should I wait to see if it gets any players?

I just don't want the forum to get cluttered, with dead threads. And good threads getting lost among them.

Matt Richard
13 May 2002, 06:48 PM
1. sure
2. go ahead
3. So does this mean any potential gms would have to gather a group at c&m, then pm you with a general synopsis of the adventure/campaign? If so, that sounds ok.

YesacKnil
11 July 2002, 09:57 AM
helllo.. I am new here :D

and wondering what I should to join a campaign?

Arakyd
11 July 2002, 01:38 PM
Welcome, YesacKnil!

Just go into one of the game threads and ask. If you have any problems let me know.

Lokar
12 July 2002, 07:37 AM
Well YesacKnil, if you wish to join NNTBS then just post in there. :) :)

Rogue Janson
4 October 2002, 11:48 AM
Incidentally, if you're wondering why the hell these crazy people have a board of their own (almost) to post their madness, just imagine what would happen if it got into the other forums :D

mojo1701
5 December 2002, 03:58 PM
I have a question: I'm not interested in a HoloNet posting campaign Per Se, because I'm running an campaign, and I'm interested in starting a campaign info thread.

I'd be posting character stats, summary info, and other things, such as playing times, if anyone wishes to watch, or even join, and send in an application, etc.

And also periodically, I'd submit info about the sessions we had the night before.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask you if it's all right.

If not, I'll just make a website. But it'd be easier to do it here.

Arakyd
6 December 2002, 01:46 AM
Hmmmm... I don't know if that fits in here or not. Let me confer with my fellow Moderators and get back to you.

mojo1701
6 December 2002, 06:45 AM
I await your response, O Moderator :)

Arakyd
7 December 2002, 03:12 AM
Okay, this what the big cheese Moridin said.

Summaries and stats can go in whichever of the two system forums is appropriate. Actual gameplay should be in the Roleplaying forum, but we allow "story hour" typically in the relevant forum.

I hope that clears things up.

mojo1701
7 December 2002, 07:20 AM
Ok, so my campaign summaries should go into the d20 discussion forums, right? (Just to make sure I understand this correctly)

Arakyd
7 December 2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by mojo1701
Ok, so my campaign summaries should go into the d20 discussion forums, right? (Just to make sure I understand this correctly)

Yes, that is how I understand it.

mojo1701
7 December 2002, 09:46 AM
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. If you come to any new revelations, or if Moridin changes his mind (ya never know), just let me know.

Fole™
4 February 2003, 07:47 AM
I do not know forum roleplaying very well, and i would like an explanation, if you please.

one, is it just roleplay? or is there action involved?

two, how would i join one"

and three, how are they run.

That third one might be a little complex, but i would be eternally grateful if i got a little feedback on it. thank you.

Arakyd
5 February 2003, 02:54 AM
1: Depends on the GM, and the other roleplayers.

2: Just ask.

3: However the GM and the group want to.

Fole™
5 February 2003, 07:15 AM
Ok thanks, ill try it out. hope i have fun.

C. Veers
16 January 2006, 12:23 AM
Hello

I just joined the forums today. Though I am new to this site I am not new to roleplaying. The Star Wars Exodus Boards have had me as a member for about three years. I would like to continue playing my imperial character here as I do on Exodus if that is acceptable. He is a seasoned bureaucratic imperial naval officer (currently a Fleet Admiral). My character's bio can be found here: http://starwars-exodus.wikicities.com/wiki/Veers%2C_Clermont.

Besides my formal greetings to the forum and its many members, I have a question of assistance. As an Imperial Naval officer, I was wandering where the best thread would for me to join. I do not mind joining multiple, but which ones would be best suited for a veteran imperial RPer?

Thank you and I hope meet some great characters and members.:isd:

Doty
16 January 2006, 06:53 PM
do we use the Jedi Counseling errata here, or is it on a case-by-base/game-by-game basis?

link:
WOTC's Jedi Counseling errata (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sw20051027jc77)

Vanger Chevane
17 January 2006, 02:48 PM
It's mainly up to the GM. Some, like Donovan Morningfire and FULONGAMER, have written up a heavily researched & tested set of custom (House) rules that they use.

As with most RPG's just about everything is GM's discretion. ;)

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
17 January 2006, 04:52 PM
For all the newcomers: Welcome!

If you havn't already checked: Goto the Trader's Infonet Section (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=6) for posting game advertising, signups and joining games. Theres lots of people there looking for games to join.

Feel free to browse any of the games already running here, will give you an idea what's already rrunning. Be it you wanting to start a new game or join into an existing one. Or you just like to read adventures in progress.

On that note, most games do enjoy reader audiences. If any comments & questions, its usually most polite to post in the coresponding OOC thread. Personally, I think its nice to get comments fan/reader feedback about a game i'm running or participating in from time to time :)