PDA

View Full Version : Question

Jax Nova
19 February 2008, 07:12 AM
Wow.. this thread is empty lol.

Well, anyway. I was just wondering about something.

I heard somewhere that they were planning to make Starwars episodes 7 and 8 into movies.

I can't even remember where I heard it but i figured if it were true I should be hearing something else about it. So i was sure someone here would have an idea about it. Let me know if you know. :) thanks. *waves*

Ronin
19 February 2008, 07:37 AM
This rumour wasn`t via SuperShadow (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Supershadow) was it?
If so, then just forget whatever you heard, basically.
Check that wookiepedia article to see how trustworthy he is....:rolleyes:

On the other hand, if you heard it from a reliable source...I`d say it was extremely big news, but quite frankly, with the new Clone Wars series coming out, then the live-action series...I don`t see further Episodes being made.

Jax Nova
19 February 2008, 08:19 AM
I don't remember where i heard it really... it was afew years ago actually.

But yeah, with all the stuff they are doing I don't think they would bother doing the other eppisodes.

What egsactily is the live action stuff though/

Ubiqtorate
19 February 2008, 08:44 AM
Rumors like that pop up from time to time. They're never true. Lucas has said repeatedly that he has no plans to make any movies beyond Return of the Jedi. However, Lucas has changed his mind before.

I don't expect anything like this until after the Clone Wars series and other current projects are done.

Jax Nova
20 February 2008, 07:42 AM
Yeah, makes sense. Besides they would have to get a whole new cast a nd crew and I am sure it just wouldn't be the same with Luke, Han, and Lea all being played by different people.

Although if they did it right I think they could pull it off.

Tem_Starrunner
20 February 2008, 05:52 PM
Actually I think I know where this rumor came from. It comes from Star Wars Screen Entertainment (screen saver), under the scrolling text if it was allowed to play for about an 1/2 hour it would come up with a message from George Lucas about the prequal and it does make reference to eps 7-9 but not to actually ever making them. I can't really be very helpful further on what was there since it does take so long just to get that message so I only did it once.

I also posted a comment about this a few months or so ago. Maybe where this rumor came from:rolleyes: but maybe it came from somewhere else.

Jax Nova
21 February 2008, 07:19 AM
Hm... that could be. :) *shrugs* well thanks for the info everyone. I figured i would get some answeres here and I did. :)

blodgett
22 February 2008, 09:33 AM
There were rumors (from Mark Hammill) that there were going to be some new movies with him playing Luke in a Ben Kenobi style role. Lucas has denied these rumors and Mark Hammill has retracted the statement.

Don't know if it was true or not. Or if Lucas was in talks at one time to do a non-character central series. But at this time Lucas says he is only working on the two shows (at least one of which is getting big screen send off - Clone Wars is starting on the big screen)

Jax Nova
22 February 2008, 02:59 PM
Interesting.... Well, I hope if he is giving the Clone Wars most of his attention then it will be pretty good. I thought the first cartoon episodes they played a year or two ago were pretty good but i didn't get to see much of them.

Jedi Master Jadden Korr
29 February 2008, 01:24 PM
Dont know about eps 7 and 8 but my cousin who works for ILM has "heard" rumors for a I, Jedi movie. So, only time will tell.

Admiral Zaarin
29 February 2008, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Jadden Korr
Dont know about eps 7 and 8 but my cousin who works for ILM has "heard" rumors for a I, Jedi movie. So, only time will tell.
If they made a movie based on the novels, I can't imagine it wouldn't be one of the Zahn novels...

Thomas
29 February 2008, 09:22 PM
well that pretty much guarantees that the crappy 'storylines' for 7, 8, and 9 I have were from SuperShadow seeing as how poorly they were written and just how badly the Force seemed to be going. Oh well, I'll stick to things actually vetted by LucasFilm/Arts.

boccelounge
29 February 2008, 09:52 PM
This really isn't a mystery, though it's an interesting read. Here's the deal:

In the late-70's after the unexpected, masive success of Star Wars, Lucas told the press that he actually envisioned that story as the "beginning of the middle" part of a trilogy-- and by trilogy he meant 9 feature-length films, with what he later called "Episode IV" being the first of three films in the "middle" trilogy. This is isn't SuperShadow nonsense; this is bread-and-butter early-80's, fan-zine Lucas Gospel. Trust me, I grew up on this stuff. I grew up devouring any hint of this stuff. ;)

Lucas (and "LucasFilm") hinted then that they'd produce nine films, starting with 4-6, then 1-3, then ending with 7-9. The rumors of this chronology have long persisted...

Fast forward to 1994: after a decade+ of no SW films, and after a series of massively popular novels and videogames (thank you, Mr. Daley, Mr. Zahn, the X-Wing and Dark Forces game developers, and the WEG RPG writers), Lucas starts writing the "Prequel trilogy." At some point, before or soon after this process, he gives up on the idea of developing a "post-RotJ" trilogy (a.k.a. Eps 7-9). He says as much, in many written and recorded interviews.

And that's that. Originally, 35 years ago, he had a story in mind that was so big, (what would eventually be called) Ep4 was on "one-ninth" of it. But by the early 90's, his story idea had changed, and the chances of a "7-9" series ended. He realized/decided that the story he really wanted to tell started and ended with the life of Anakin Skywalker. And that's the only real SW movies we'll ever see, Anything else is just expanding on that concept-- and I'll take anything we can get. But there will never be a real "Lucas Sequel Trilogy."

Make sense?

Ubiqtorate
1 March 2008, 10:03 AM
In a 1983 Time Magazine Article, (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,953916-1,00.html) Lucas talked about the possibility of making prequels and sequels to what is now his "original trilogy." At the time, he apparently had a pretty clear picture of what the prequel trilogy would be, at least in terms of basic plot outline. The sequel trilogy, which according to the article would focus on "the necessity for moral choices and the wisdom needed to distinguish right from wrong," have been and apparently always will be a little more vague. This trilogy would focus on a significantly older Luke and Co., and would actually take place in approximately the time frame of the current Legacy novel series. That allows the possibility of keeping the same actors, at least. Since then, Lucas has been quoted as saying he has no plans to make a sequel trilogy, but he's changed his mind before. Personally, however, I agree with statements saying that any additional episodes would seem a bit tacked on.

Jedi_Shadow
1 March 2008, 10:39 AM
This trilogy would focus on a significantly older Luke and Co., and would actually take place in approximately the time frame of the current Legacy novel series.

To clarify, that would be the Legacy of the Force series (approx. 40 ABY), and not Legacy. Legacy is a comic book set in approximately 150 ABY. If Luke was still alive around then, he'd be, oh, in his 170's. Significantly older Luke and Co.? Yeah. ;)

Personally, however, I agree with statements saying that any additional episodes would seem a bit tacked on.

I don't want this to devolve into a debate about canon, but I agree. Lucas probably looks at all the EU and says, "Y'know what, this story has already been told, and this timeframe is already packed with story, sooo..."

Ubiqtorate
2 March 2008, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Shadow

To clarify, that would be the Legacy of the Force series (approx. 40 ABY), and not Legacy. Legacy is a comic book set in approximately 150 ABY. If Luke was still alive around then, he'd be, oh, in his 170's. Significantly older Luke and Co.? Yeah. ;)

Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks for clarifying that.

I don't want this to devolve into a debate about canon, but I agree. Lucas probably looks at all the EU and says, "Y'know what, this story has already been told, and this timeframe is already packed with story, sooo..."

None of my comments were meant as a statement on canon. My thinking is that Lucas would have to come up with more story to tell, and while he's demonstrated time and again that he has zero regard for what has been established in EU "canon," I just don't think he feels any need to tell that story.

What does interest me, though, is what Lucas said about "the wisdom needed to distinguish right from wrong." I wish this would be explored in greater detail in the EU. But I'm beginning to wander off-topic again, and this isn't the place to discuss what the EU should or shouldn't be.

So, to get back on topic, no, I don't think any future movie episodes will ever be made.