PDA

View Full Version : New skills.

wolverine
7 December 2001, 06:14 AM
Ok, yall. I have wrote up some new skills. While they are predominantly for D6, someone can adapt them to D20. Most of these have been play tested at least 5 times, the only one which has not was Gladiator arena lore....

TECHNICIAL:

Beast training; With this skill a trainer can reduce a creatures Orneriness code, by breaking it in. This takes 6 Months and requires 4 moderate Beast training rolls to do. Alternately it can allow a trainer to teach specific tricks to a creature. The teaching of tricks requires a difficult roll and 2 months per trick to be taught.
Specialties;- Specific animals, tricks

Bow repair; Similar to armor repair and blaster repair, this skill allows the character to fix and maintain bows, crossbows and arrows. Also it can be used to construct new bows, and arrows. For bows the roll is Moderate and requires 3D days to make. If arrows are being made, the roll is easy and 1D number of arrows can be made per day. Specialties;- arrow making, crossbows, long bows, bow maintenance.

Melee weapon repair; Similar to above and blaster repair. Can be used to construct CRUDE melee weapons in 1D hours.
No specialties.

KNOWLEDGE:

Instruction; With this skill a teacher can lessen the time it takes to instruct a person in a new skill, specialty or advanced skill. It can also be used to give a temporary increase to a teacherís skill for instruction. For taking 20% of the learning time, a moderate instruction roll is required. For 30%, a difficult roll. For 40%, a V.Diff roll, and for 50% a heroic roll. Instead of lessening the time, the user can give an illusionary boost to his or her skills. 1D is mod, 2D is diff, 3D is v.diff. This increase is to ensure the teacherís skill level meats the 2D above the studentís level.
No Specialties.

Anatomy; With this skill, a character can discern specific weak points on a target. By making a roll, he then gets a bonus to his to hit and damage roll. Time for use is 2 rounds. Easy roll grants +2 to hit and damage rolls. Moderate gives 1D to the hit pool and +1D+2 to the damage pool. Difficult grants +1D+2 / +2D+1 respectively. V.Diff grants +2D+1/+3D, and Heroic is +3D/+3D+2. Failing this roll incurs no penalty, but getting a 1 on the wild die, results in making it to where you mark that race off, for future rolls, until you have raised the skill by atleast 1 full D.
Specialties;- Specific race.

Gladiatorial arena lore; With this skill the character can learn many pieces of information about a gladiator arena. Things that can be learned, for eg is Location, types of events, current and former champions, special events ran, who controls, specific gladiator teams etc.
Specialties;- specific arena.

PERCEPTION;

Camouflage; Unlike sneak, which deals with the hiding of the character while moving, and Hide which deals with masking objects, camouflage deals with the masking of a character while stationary. Otherwise as sneak.
Specialties;- specific terrain.

barna284
7 December 2001, 04:38 PM
The TEC skills are OK, although they will not come to use very frequently. Still usefull.

Instruction looks like an interesting skill, but I would make it an Advanved skill and reduce both training time and CP cost (not much, so as not to unbalance the skill). While Anatomy...cool mechanics, but just doesnīt seem to fit the SW universe IMHO. Neither does Gladiatorial Arena Lore; a tad too specific...

Camouflage could be used in a SpecForces game, but will otherwise be preety much left aside. Although a Disguise skill would be VERY interesting....

wolverine
8 December 2001, 09:08 AM
well, how would you change it? What prerequisit skill would you put for instruction?

barna284
8 December 2001, 03:17 PM
I dunno, Iīm not sure really...maybe youīd need a Persuasion skill of at least 3d (just guessing). Also, you have to know the specific subject you want to teach at a level at least 1D higher than the subject (because this is PROGRAMMED learning, with someone who has learned actual teaching skills, not just the SUBJECT to be teached). So if I wanna teach you Blaster up to 6D, I need at least 7D in the skill.
Also, to be able to apply your Instruction(A) skill, you must have at least 5d in the subject skill (be it Blaster, Scholar, etc). That represents that you must have some sort of mastery before you become a real teacher on a subject.
Now, on the reduced timing and CP cost...(CP cost reductions MAY NOT REDUCE THE CP COST BELOW ONE HALF -50%- of the normal CP cost)

Instruction (A) Roll Reductions
Very Easy Training time 90%
Easy Training time 80%
Moderate Training time 75%, -1 CP cost
Difficult Training time 70%, -2 CP cost
Very Difficult Training time 60%, -3 CP cost
Heroic Training time 50%, -4 CP cost

ideas? comments?

Donovan Morningfire
8 December 2001, 03:38 PM
Since I'm more of a D20 kinda guy nowadays, I give my take from a D20 POV, since you did invite conversion.

- Beast Training: Already got it under Handle Animal.
- Bow and Melee Wpn Repair: Covered under Repair, which covers all the other d6 Repair skills.
- Instruction: The game mechanics don't translate over.
- Anatomy: Special bonus for having 5+ ranks in Treat Injury, but requires a DC 15 Knowledge (alien species) check for species other than your own. Damage bonus is all that's needed (just 'cause you know where to hit doesn't make it easier to hit), and D20 would be a flat +2, w/ a possible (though not recommened) bonus +1 for every 5 points you beat the opponent's Defense by.
- Gladitorial Arena Lore: in d6, I'd just make it a Scholar specialization. D20, it'd be Knowledge (Gladiatorial Arenas).
- Camoflage: Hide skill in D20 does the same deal.

elquemis
8 December 2001, 06:29 PM
I've never played the d6 version, and this thread has left me pretty much just scratching my head, so I'm no Mod, but shouldn't this be in the d6 forum?

Emperor Xanderich II
9 December 2001, 02:42 PM
Indeed it should. So without further ado:

Moving to D6 Discussion

wolverine
15 March 2002, 03:24 AM
Hey folks. Revised a few of the skills. Let's here any new comments......

TECHNICIAL:

Beast training; With this skill a trainer can reduce a creatures Orneriness code, by breaking it in. This takes 6 Months and requires 4 moderate Beast training rolls to do. Alternately it can allow a trainer to teach specific tricks to a creature. The teaching of tricks requires a difficult roll and 2 months per trick to be taught.
Specialties;- Specific animals, tricks

Bow repair; Similar to armor repair and blaster repair, this skill allows the character to fix and maintain bows, crossbows and arrows. Also it can be used to construct new bows, and arrows. For bows the roll is Moderate and requires 3D days to make. If arrows are being made, the roll is easy and 1D number of arrows can be made per day. Specialties;- arrow making, crossbows, long bows, bow maintenance.

Melee weapon repair; Similar to above and blaster repair. Can be used to construct CRUDE melee weapons in 1D hours. Can also be used to make Normal weapons into Vibro weapons at a moderate roll.
No specialties.

KNOWLEDGE:

Instruction; With this skill a teacher can lessen the time it takes to instruct a person in a new skill, specialty or advanced skill. It can also be used to give a temporary increase to a teacherís skill for instruction. For taking 20% of the learning time, a moderate instruction roll is required. For 30%, a difficult roll. For 40%, a V.Diff roll, and for 50% a heroic roll. Instead of lessening the time, the user can give an illusionary boost to his or her skills. 1D is mod, 2D is diff, 3D is v.diff. This increase is to ensure the teacherís skill level meats the 2D above the studentís level. Additionally, for a moderate roll, 1CP is saved from the learning of a skill. Difficult is 2CP, very difficult is 3cp and heroic is 4cp saved (minimum of 1).
No Specialties.

Anatomy; With this skill, a character can discern specific weak points on a target. You get to try for a specific bonus (hit or damage), and a value. You then roll for that level, and if you make it, you add that bonus for the NEXT attack only. Easy roll grants +2 to hit or damage rolls. Moderate gives 1D to the hit pool or +1D+2 to the damage pool. Difficult grants +1D+2 / +2D+1 respectively. V.Diff grants +2D+1/+3D, and Heroic is +3D/+3D+2. Failing this roll incurs no penalty, but getting a 1 on the wild die, results in making it to where you mark that race off, for future rolls, until you have raised the skill by atleast 1 full D.
Specialties;- Specific race.

Gladiatorial arena lore; With this skill the character can learn many pieces of information about a gladiator arena. Things that can be learned, for eg is Location, types of events, current and former champions, special events ran, who controls, specific gladiator teams etc.
Specialties;- specific arena.

PERCEPTION;

Camouflage; Unlike sneak, which deals with the hiding of the character while moving, and Hide which deals with masking objects, camouflage deals with the masking of a character while stationary. Otherwise as sneak. If has a sneak specialty in the same type of terrain, can move without having to make a new roll.
Specialties;- specific terrain.

Jastor
16 March 2002, 04:33 AM
the anatomy, hmm... seems familiar to rolling "alien species" when you want to "stun" them (using Instant stun) in MA rules.

Silberpfeil
16 March 2002, 09:25 AM
Wouldn't Beast Training fit better in Perception ?

Interacting with devices is quite different from living beings. And since charisma is supposed to be part of the Perception attribute, I thought it would have been more logic.

Ohterwise, it's nice.

Oh, and did you try to adapt the instruction skill from Shadowrun? Cuz I saw you adapted some cyber rules from it.

Lokar
16 March 2002, 11:25 AM
I might change Antonomy to a Scholar specialization. General Antomy would be Scholar: Anatomy and for specific race would be Scholar: Wookiee Anatomy. I would put a requirement of 3-4D in both Alien Species and First Aid. Gladatorial Area Lore I would think could be used as a scholar specialization.

wolverine
4 April 2003, 06:02 AM
Here is another one that could do with resurecting for more inputs...

ANd i have made a new mod for the Instruction and Anatomy skills.....

KNOWLEDGE:

Instruction; With this skill a teacher can lessen the time it takes to instruct a person in a new skill, specialty or advanced skill. It can also be used to give a temporary increase to a teacherís skill for instruction.
System: Instructor must have a minimum of 5d in the skill to be taught (which replaces the need to have 2d above the students).
Making an easy roll takes 15% off the time
Moderate roll takes 20% off the time and saves the student 1CP
Difficult roll takes 25% off the time and saves 2CP
V.difficult roll takes 30% off the time and saves 3CP
Heroic roll takes 35% off the time (the max which can be saved) and saves the student 4CP.
No Specialties.

Anatomy: This is an advanced skill. With this advance skill, a character can discern specific weak points on a target. You get to try for a specific bonus, whether in additional damage OR a specific effect.
System: Requires an alien species skill of 4d+1 and a first aid of 4d+1 befor eit can be used on anyone OTHER than a human (or near humans).
Easy roll = +2 pips to the damage, cannot call a specific effect.
Moderate roll = +1d to the damage, can call for a minor efect (eg calling a shot to hit the oppents wrist to cause him to loose use of the hand)
Difficult roll = +1d+1 to the damage, can call for a moderate effect (like calling a shot to break a person's knee, elbow etc. to hobble him)
V.Diff roll = +1d+2 to the damage, can call for a major effect. (like shooting a person in the side to take out his hip joint, halfing his movement, or shooting him in the ear causing loss of his bodies equiblerium)
Heroic roll = +2d to the damage. Can practically call for any effect desired.
Specialties:- Specific race.

wolverine
5 April 2003, 02:20 PM
Here is another one.. It is based of of a skill that Magusinvictus uses in his weekly run starwars game, but i have tweaked it a little...

Tactical awareness; This is treated likean advance skill, it costs 20CP to initially learn, and double CP to increase, but has no prerequisite skills. Once learnt, it can be used to roll for the playerís initiative instead of perception.
There are 3 subsets of this, which must be learnt separately. Space tactical awareness, Atmospheric tactical awareness and Ground tactical awareness. Where each is used is self- explanatory.
Specialties, NONE.

wolverine
28 January 2007, 04:46 PM
RESURECTION..

Well, it seems i had no thoughts/inputs for the Tactical Awareness skill.

jmanski
28 January 2007, 06:20 PM
So the 20 cp gets you Tactical Awareness at 1d?

wolverine
28 January 2007, 08:11 PM
Yup. Until it surpasses your perception, you still default to per for initiave. But once you have gotten past per, you can use this instead... Its how i see people like wedge, being so darn good..

jmanski
29 January 2007, 07:11 PM
interesting idea; I shall think about it.