PDA

View Full Version : In need of some advice here...

Donovan Morningfire
12 March 2008, 01:03 PM
Not sure what kind of response I'll get here, but here goes...

I've been working for a while on a fan-fic set during the Rebellion Era, about a year and a half past the Battle of Yavin to be precise. Most of it has been going pretty well, but I keep coming back to a decision I made a long time ago concerning the fic.

In short, when I began laying the ground work for the story about a year ago, the principle character was going to be a female Imperial officer who during the course of the story was going to have her worldview change from "The Empire is Right and Good" to seeing the Empire for what it really was, with more than a little help from some supporting characters along the way.

Well, when I read about Force Unleashed and that one of the principal charactes was a female Imperial officer that sounds like she's going to switch sides, I decided to scrap my original idea and promoted one of the secondary characters (the officer's younger cousin) to primary character.

Now I find myself wondering if I should stick to my original plan and have the female Imp officer as the main, or stick to the call I made and keep the current lead.

I do have a few of the same themes, namely the lead seeing that the Empire isn't what the legal holovids say it is, but going back to the officer would require a lot of re-work, thus making me hesitant to scrap something I've worked a very long time on.

Thanks in advance for whatever input or suggestions I get here.

Mack Jace
12 March 2008, 02:27 PM
I say go for the new idea. It gives things a fresh look, because unfortunately, no matter how much you change it up, the whole bad officer going good has been done before. On the other hand, you could say the same of the new idea.

Basically it comes down to the concept with which you can have the most fun. I mean, if you weren't having fun, it would be work, right? And no one wants any of that, at least not more of it. :P

Darklighter
12 March 2008, 06:19 PM
Is the story working with the younger cousin as the lead? If it is, don't change back. That's a critical question here, I think.

Here's another critical question. Why are you considering changing back? What are your thoughts, that you would want to revert to the original plot idea, or at least entertain the notion?

IzVenjari
12 March 2008, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Darklighter
Why are you considering changing back? What are your thoughts, that you would want to revert to the original plot idea, or at least entertain the notion? Yeah i echo Darklighter's question. There must be some reason why you are thinking about going back to the original idea. Are you finding it hard to write through the eyes of the cousin? Or another reason....

Off-topic for a second....i wonder if anybody has ever toyed with/written up something about a rebel defecting to the empire...

Back on-topic - is the storyline with the cousin basically the same as the original idea? Or the two completely seperate ideas?

Donovan Morningfire
13 March 2008, 03:17 AM
Don't get me wrong, the younger cousin idea is working, otherwise I would have long since gone back to the officer. In some respects, it's probably working even better than the officer. But I can't help but think that in a couple respects, the story would work better for the officer.

Although after giving the matter more thought last night, I think overall the story flows better from the cousin's POV.

Jax Nova
13 March 2008, 05:40 AM
REally that sounds similar to my story Imperial Edict but I didn't know about The Force unleashed thing. *shrugs*

As far as my personal opinion goes.... I think just stick with the one you like the best. It doesn't mater how hard you try something you do has more than likely already been done by someone else somewhere. So, just have fun, I would say.

From a more critical point of view, I do agree that the cousins point of view would be a more interesting one. Not an officer, so they would not have the same outlook etc...

You could do something fun like work the cousin AND the officer into it both as main characters and have the officers strugle as a secondary plot that adds to the primary plot. Or show the officer's strugles through the eyes of the cousin just to spice things up and maybe cause some emotions in the cousin that move the plot along.

Just some thoughts I had, but like I said... My first piece of advice, do whichever one you like the best.

PsychoInfiltrator
16 March 2008, 06:28 PM
So many comments. Only two votes.

Donovan, any interest/chance in writing both story arcs?