PDA

View Full Version : Fire rate???

barna284
14 December 2001, 03:47 PM
Ive recently seen that blaster pistols and other blasters have a fire rate of 1; does that mean they can be fired only once per round? Ive NEVER heard anyone talk about this rule, so, is it wdiely used or just ignored?

Darth_Cassed
14 December 2001, 08:24 PM
Fire rate is not an ignored system, here's how it works-

Fire Rate: 1
Blaster Pistols, Hvy. Blaster Pistols, Blaster Carbines*, Blaster Rifles*, E-Web, Bowcaster

Fire Rate: 2
Double of any Blaster, double-barreled guns

Fire Rate: Conditional
Repeating Blaster, Hvy. Repeating Blaster

*May be set to multifire, but must be used with Feat: Multi-shot.

You may only throw one object at a time, unless you have two-weapon fighting.

Darth_Cassed
14 December 2001, 08:29 PM
Guess I forgot to mention about the conditionals- the condition is the number of barrels, for one, and you can roll 1D6 to decide the number of shots. For example: A player has a Double-Barreled Pistol, roll 1-3 for one shot, 4-6 for two shots. Or someone has a Carbine- roll 1 for each barrel used, with individual damage for each shot (3d8 altogether) which is 1d4 per shot, and you add them up (if someone gets 4 barrels shot, then it's 4d4 damage altogether). If this is confusing, e-mail me.

The Admiral
15 December 2001, 12:08 AM
Cassed, since you're new here, just a pointer. You've quoted D20 game stats to answer a question in the D6 forum.
The D6 and D20 forums are system-specific.

Now, to answer the question using the D6 rules,,,

A fire rate of 1 means that it fires one shot each time you hit the trigger, you can fire them as many times as you like within a round, but each shot takes an action to perform. This is the 'normal' fire rate for weapons, and the fire rate stat is not normally printed; if a weapon doesn't have the stat, assume it's fire rate is 1.

Now, other fire rate stats get slightly more confusing;

If the format is 1/X, where the 1 preceeds the other number, it means that the weapon can fire 1 shot per X rounds. A fire rate of 1/4 means the weapon can be fired once, then requires at least three rounds of recharging / cooling / whatever, before it can be fired again, in the fourth round.

if the format is X/1, where the 1 succeeds the other number, it means that the weapon can fire X amount of shots for every 1 action. Unfortunately, the rules for these additional shots are not tremendously consistant.

There is also the unending problem that many WEG weapons list their fire rates as a single number, 3, or 4 for example, without the 1 which tells you what KIND of fire rate it is. Generally, common sense will indicate which is appropriate.

Darth_Cassed
15 December 2001, 06:07 AM
lol yea i know i posted the wrong stats, realized it AFTER it happened this morning. oh well, thanx for coverin me. I'm new to the holonet, not new to gaming ;-)

wolverine
15 December 2001, 07:51 AM
Admerial, I was always under the impression, that if a weapon had a fire rate of one tht means it can only be fired once a round. At least that is the way i read the fire rate rules from the R&E 2nd edition ore book.

The Admiral
15 December 2001, 10:52 AM
That's just one part of the whole fire rate problem. No consistancy. a fire rate of 1 is used for both.
:rolleyes:
Much as I love WEG, they make mistakes. And it's not even that they MAKE mistakes, but they fail to correct them. That's the only thing wrong with 'em.

MERC
23 January 2005, 12:10 PM
First of all, I know this is a very old thread, but the content is still interesting!
What the Admiral is saying seams to be, that for example an E-web fire only one blast at the pressing of the trigger, but that you may fire it as many times you like in a round. I am not saying that this is wrong, as it looks that way when the Falcon takes of in ESB. But I must say that I have never seen a fire rate of X/1, example 3/1 in any WEG product that I can recall

If someone could sort out this mess once and for all, it would be great!

Comment: The E-web is stated to have Fire Rate: 1.

:)

John Brewer
27 January 2005, 05:50 PM
Actually, the Fire Rate tells how many shots the gun can fire per round (R&E, p. 91).

According to some posts on another forum, WEG had a typo in the description of the Blaster Pistol on p. 231, as well as a few others. One of the WEG people said to look at the Equipment Reference Tables on p. 263 to get the correct Fire Rate. To quote R&E, p. 91, "If there is no fire rate, the weapon can be fired as often in a round as the character wishes."

So, according to the table on p. 263, blaster pistols of all types, carbines, etc all can be fired as often in a round as you wish (since it gives " - " as the Fire Rate). The only guns in the R&E book that have a limited fire rate are the Wookie Bowcaster, the anti-vehicle cannon and the v.150 (capital scale) ion cannon.

Fire at will!
John

Vanger Chevane
28 January 2005, 02:08 PM
I'd put an upper limit on how fast one can fire a single-fire weapon like the average blaster, there's only so fast that you can pull that trigger, probly based on reflex speed or dexterity. My D6 is well-rusted, so bear with me.

IIRC both d6 & d20 use 6-second combat rounds, for d6 you'd have to give multiples of D values (say 1 shot per 2 pips of Dex). at 9D that's a 3-round burst each second, few ppl can pull a semi-auto trigger faster than that IRL.

D20 most stats don't go above 18, so giving the PC 1 shot per point of Dex also tops out at 3 rounds/sec IMHO a reasonable limit.

Ultimately it's up to the GM, but as a general guide, I'd say with a non-autofiring blaster, 3-4 shots per second is a reasonable upper limit. 3 shots/second is 180 Rounds-Per-Minute. 5/sec = 300 RPM, which is into modern machingun fire rates, implying that at that point you should be using a blaster with Autofire to hit that fast.
:D

PsychoInfiltrator
12 June 2005, 05:08 PM
Umm...Vanger?

I think somethiing's wrong.

The D20 system already has a (IMHO better) system of determining how many times a gun can be fired each round by a certain person. And its based one one's combat ability and BAB, not Dex. See the Multifire/Autofire and BAB number of attacks rules in the RCRB by Wotc.

Cool McCool
13 June 2005, 07:35 AM
In d6, I always went with your dice in DEX as your maximum number of shots. As in, if you have 2D DEX, you can only take 2 shots. Since 3 shots would reduce your die pool to 0D.

jmanski
13 June 2005, 02:15 PM
I used to wonder about fire rate- but then I simplified- I looked at each roll with the blaster skill as an attack; therefore, if a player rolled high, you could deduce that either he fired more than once, or fired once very accurately. I just added dice to the damage pool for beating the difficulty.