PDA

View Full Version : Clone Wars Minis - Official Discussion Thread

Stratos
15 July 2008, 03:37 AM
So, what rumors are floating around about the Winter 08/09 release of Clone Wars Minis? What are your hopes and dreams for this set?

Sithspawn
15 July 2008, 02:19 PM
I believe there are going to be three scenario sets each including a map and a couple of minis. One has Asajj Ventress and another Lumiara, I think. Don't know the third.

Rumour is it is only a 40 mini set.

What do I want? More for Seperatists, they've really been left out recently. Hopefully Sora Bulq and Morgukai Nikto. I think we'll get a new beatstick General Grievous.

Thomas
15 July 2008, 07:28 PM
a new Anakin Skywalker, Sith apprentice would be nice and I don't think we have had a Kit Fisto mini yet.

Donovan Morningfire
16 July 2008, 02:25 AM
I'm hoping that having Anakin, Hero of the Clone Wars (or some such title) in this set means a lack of yet another fraggin' Darth Vader.

Other than that, I'm willing to wait and see.

Stratos
16 July 2008, 07:03 AM
I like the map/scenerio idea. Could care less about most of the themes and characters of the prequel era so I'm more inclined to actually buy stuff if it included new maps to play on.

Sithspawn
6 August 2008, 05:53 AM
The starter box clearly shows Obi-Wan in clone Armour and Count Dooku as well as a couple of Clone Troopers and Battle Droids.

Booster Art shows Anakin and Ahsoka, Snow Bunny Padme and a Clone Trooper who some WOTC guys say is Commander Rex?

Darth Jerrod
6 August 2008, 03:51 PM
Scheduled for release in late October, the next set will be Clone Wars. It will be based on the movie and TV show of the same name hitting theaters and living rooms this fall. The Clone Wars set will be the first to feature new packaging and a new 40 figure set size. Get ready for new Durge and Asajj Ventress figures, as well as new comers to Star Wars Minis, like Captain Rex. Also, Clone Wars will have an accompanying starter set with 6 minis, a map, damage counters, and more!

Coolstuffinc.com has pics of the new starter and booster cover art.

Thomas
6 August 2008, 08:42 PM
oh since this is set in the Clone Wars and he did get mentioned in at least one of the books, can we have a Clone Wars era Pallaeon mini or even a later era one?

cheshire
7 August 2008, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by Thomas
oh since this is set in the Clone Wars and he did get mentioned in at least one of the books, can we have a Clone Wars era Pallaeon mini or even a later era one?

Anything is possible, but with this only being a 40 mini set, I wouldn't hold your breath. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a Pallaeon or a C'Baoth... I just don't think it's comming.

Anyhoo... I'm pretty excited about the map packs. More map variety is never a bad thing.

Thomas
7 August 2008, 02:07 PM
that is certainly true, I'd love to actually see some old maps get reprinted. It's kind of annoying to see a minis adventure pop up on the Wizards site needing a map that's been out of print for nearly a year. Anyway rant over, since we get Snow Bunny Padme, does this mean we might be able to get those Separatist probe droids as well?

cheshire
8 August 2008, 08:38 AM
Yeah, that one they actually reprinted for the scenario, but the thing is that you had to be at a league game in order to get the map.

Actually, it was kind of a shame for me, I had just purchased a RS starter for the map, and then they release it for free two weeks later.

Donovan Morningfire
28 August 2008, 12:11 PM
Well, WotC put a sneak peek up on their site this week.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/CWpreview1

Yoda on Kybuck and Gen Grevious, Droid Army Commander

Darth Jerrod
28 August 2008, 02:43 PM
The General is a nice addition to the Seps and really helps out those low attack scores that plauge them.

Sithspawn
29 August 2008, 05:19 AM
Nice addition?

I think General Grievous DAC is awesome. That CE is verging on broken. Malak's +4 I thought was too much, but this!!? Not really complaining though because I love Seperatist armies. And the plus is that the CE applies to unique droids too, so IG-88, 4-LOM and HK-47 all get a boost too!

GG DAC + BDO + Viper - 4 attacks at +16 for 30 each
GG DAC + BDO + IG-88 - 4 attacks at +23 with opportunist for 30 each

Add the Genosian Overseer for Double & Twin Crab Doids or Commerce droids (if you want Accurate shot).

Loving that Yoda sculpt too. B)

Darth Jerrod
29 August 2008, 05:21 AM
I have been trying to build a decent droid army and this will finally do it for me. Now all those droids I have from CS RS and all the various fringer ones will pay off

cheshire
29 August 2008, 06:39 AM
General Grevious, Supreme Commander wasn't a bad piece for them, especially if you put in a Security Battle Droid, or whatever it was that gave them an additional +2. But I think that this is going to give a real shot in the arm to my current droids. A Felucian Tank droid can become a much more playable mini, and though it may also boost pieces like IG-88, I'm not going to complain. I've always thought it would be great to give my HK-47 an additional attack.

Darth Jerrod
29 August 2008, 01:38 PM
The only problem with those combos is the fact you needed to be within 6 squares to benefit.

Now they get twin attack as well as +4 att and def board wide. He is the true ARMY commander. The plus side is add in a few BD Officers and spread them out and get an additional +4 board wide and suddenly your battledroids are +12 to hit and need to roll 8 or higher to hit some of the high def Jedi.

My friend already said he will use his Gungan squad against me if I try to field my new dream team.

Sithspawn
30 August 2008, 02:19 AM
In a 200+ pt squad I might look at playing the B'omarr Monk again.

I just have so many ideas for CIS armies now :D

Donovan Morningfire
11 September 2008, 04:19 PM
Next WotC preview is up.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/CWpreview2
ARC Trooper Sniper.

Interesting, given I have a Clone Commando squad that I've been wanting to try, which has a few Clone Strike ARCs in it, and might benefit from swapping two of them out for these guys while giving me a few more points to play with.

Thomas
12 September 2008, 03:11 AM
The new Arc Trooper will be a good addition since they've been in short supply since Clone Strike went out of print. Hopefully we may see Omega Squad Commandos as well too.

Sithspawn
12 September 2008, 11:06 AM
ARC Trooper Sniper is okay. I like the sculpt and Accurate with Sniper is nice. At the moment Sev is still the more appealing option but I'm expecting an ARC CE, possibly from Obi-Wan.

Sithspawn
21 September 2008, 09:43 AM
Well, yet another leak of minis.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300260281997&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

Sith
1/40 Darth Sidious Hologram

Republic
2/40 Asoka Tano
3/40 Anakin Skywalker Champion of Nelveen
4/40 Anakin Skywalker on Stap
5/40 ARC Trooper Sniper
6/40 Barriss Offee
7/40 Captain Rex
8/40 Clone Trooper on Gelagrub
9/40 Commander Gree
10/40 Elite Clone Trooper Commander
11/40 Elite Clone Trooper Grenaider
12/40 Galactic Marine
13/40 General Aayla Secura
14/40 Heavy Clone Trooper
15/40 Mon Calimari Knight
16/40 Odd Ball
17/40 Padme Amidala Senater
18/40 Star Corps Trooper
19/40 Wookiee Scoundrel
20/40 Yoda on Kybuck

Sepratists
21/40 Battla Droid
22/40 Battle Droid
23/40 Battle Droid Sniper
24/40 Chameleon Droid
25/40 Durge, Jedi Hunter
26/40 General Grivous Droid Army Commander
27/40 Heavy Super Battle Droid
28/40 IG-100 Magna Guard
29/40 Nemoidian Warrior
30/40 Quarren Isolationist
31/40 Rocket Battle Droid
32/40 Super Battle Droid
33/40 Techno Union Warrior

Fringe
34/40 Aqualish Warrior
35/40 Gha Nachkt
36/40 Human Solider of Fortune
37/40 IG-85 Assassin Droid
38/40 Nelvaanian Warrior
39/40 Trandoshan Scavanger
40/40 Utapaun Warrior

Donovan Morningfire
24 September 2008, 07:25 AM
Looks like some neat stuff in this set, particularly from a RPG perspective.

Be nice to have a Twi Jedi that's not a horrific scuplt like the CS Aayla was.

Edit: Appears the listing has since been removed ;)

Sithspawn
25 September 2008, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Donovan Morningfire
Edit: Appears the listing has since been removed ;)
Looks like eBay have had a visit from ISB. :P

Stratos
25 September 2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the updates guys. I've been pretty busy off-line and elsewhere so I've missed some of the day-to-day.

Sithspawn
30 September 2008, 02:33 PM
Here's something nice.
Clone Wars scenario set!

http://io9.com/5056672/star-wars-miniatures-sneak-preview-commander-gree

Mace Windu
Roron Corobb
Dwarf Spider Droid
IG-100 MagnaGuard
Clone Trooper on Speeder
IG Lancer Droid.
HailFire
ISP Speeder
General Greivous
Super Battle Droid

Darth Jerrod
30 September 2008, 07:39 PM
looks like I might need a couple of those just for the lancer droids

Stratos
1 October 2008, 04:05 AM
Doesn't it bother most of you that they're re-issued minis from previous sets? I know when I used to collect the action figures this sort of thing p'ed me off.

Thomas
1 October 2008, 04:12 AM
I really just look at it as a chance to get minis from previous sets that I couldn't before unless I bought them individually.

Sithspawn
1 October 2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Stratos
Doesn't it bother most of you that they're re-issued minis from previous sets? I know when I used to collect the action figures this sort of thing p'ed me off.

When I think sensibly about it, no. WOTC are trying to bring new players into the game. So making a couple of hard to get old pieces easy to get can only help.

I try to look at the bigger picture. The more people that buy SWM the longer it will keep going, and these Battle Packs can only help. :)

Donovan Morningfire
1 November 2008, 01:48 AM
Bought some boosters and the new starter yesterday.

Just curious to see what others have pulled so far.

Amidst mine were:
- Yoda on Kybuck (out of my first booster; better than what I usually get on 1st pulls)
- Anakin, Champion of Nelvaan. He makes for a pretty impressive beatstick, with Djem So Style and Twin Attack, not to mention he can Force Grip every round for 10 points giving him some range options against squishies.
- Elite Clone Trooper Commander: Uncommon, but gives your allied clone troopers a much needed boost to Defense so long as they stay within 6 squares.
- Chameleon Droid: The fact that any beatsticks have to save or take damage if they get close is nice, and he can't be targeted by nonadjacent enemies either.
- Clone Trooper on Gelagrub: It's a clone riding a giant slug. Decent meatwall, hefty damage score.

Sithspawn
1 November 2008, 02:42 AM
A friend and I bought three cases between us. Two cases were identical, all R and 4 VR. The other case had two Anakin champion and two Gree. So for the future 40 mini sets I'll only be buying 1 case.

I am only 3 minis short now though, GG DAC, Sidious & Padme. And I've just bought them off Miniature Market. :D

Darth Jerrod
1 November 2008, 03:23 AM
I got the starter and one booster.

I pulled the Chameleon Droid. It is a very nice Sep anti-beatstick piece.

cheshire
1 November 2008, 03:24 PM
I'm probably not going to invest too much into the boosters. I'm probably going to be mostly buying singles. I've already purchased the Darth Sideous Hologram, and I'm thinking about getting the General Grievous Droid Commander.

I'd love to put Grievous with someone like IG-88 Bounty Hunter.

Sithspawn
4 November 2008, 12:12 PM
My not so good case aside I still think a case is the way to go if you can afford it. You should get 8 R and 4 VR and all the C & UC.

I'm going down my mates tomorrow. So far I've only had chance for a single quick game since Clone Wars came out. I'll probably play a Rex clone squad tomorrow, maybe with Aayla if we play a high enough point value.

Donovan Morningfire
6 November 2008, 10:02 AM
Got my set today, and while I haven't really had a chance to take more than a quick glance at the game stats, the overall set quality measures in at above average, at least the figs I've seen. Most of the battle droids were bent at the ankles, along with some of the more spindly figures like the IG-86 assassin droids, but the quality of the uniques helped make up for it, though the face on my Ahsoka looked a bit "off."

Sithspawn
10 November 2008, 12:24 AM
Yes, quality is decent with the exception of Anakin of Nelvaan - I have two, both with badly glued arms and a guy on Gleemax had the same.
Durge & Holo Sidious look great.

I've had a couple of games now. A Rex/Aayla clone squad was fun even though I lost to an evading NR Wedge squad. And my g/f just called to say I have a parcel, so that must be my remaining minis including Grievous DAC :D

Favourite piece from Clone Wars - Rex.

gmjabreson
19 December 2008, 03:21 PM
A funny little thing happened when I bought a booster for Clone Wars, not one of the figures matched the cards in the box.

First time that's ever happened to me. Got a great card too, Yoda on Kybuck, and an Arc Trooper Sniper, but no figures for them. I got a IG100 Magnaguard, but no card, as well as a Chameleon Droid, but again no card.

Of course, 6 of the cards are one's I don't have in set, and 3 of the figures are one's I didn't have either.

Thomas
20 December 2008, 04:23 AM
So I'm just curious if anybody else had this idea but wouldn't the heavy clonetrooper look awesome if you replaced his rifle with a guitar, I mean it's the correct pose and everything :P.

Stratos
20 December 2008, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by gmjabreson
A funny little thing happened when I bought a booster for Clone Wars, not one of the figures matched the cards in the box.

First time that's ever happened to me. Got a great card too, Yoda on Kybuck, and an Arc Trooper Sniper, but no figures for them. I got a IG100 Magnaguard, but no card, as well as a Chameleon Droid, but again no card.

Of course, 6 of the cards are one's I don't have in set, and 3 of the figures are one's I didn't have either.

I seen this happen quite often actually. Either with the whole pack of cards or worse - just one or two cards within the bunch. You can contact Wizards thru their official channels and get it corrected.

Sithspawn
24 December 2008, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Thomas
So I'm just curious if anybody else had this idea but wouldn't the heavy clonetrooper look awesome if you replaced his rifle with a guitar, I mean it's the correct pose and everything :P.
I think he's ripe for a Clint Eastwood The Man with No Name custom with that poncho :D

gmjabreson
24 December 2008, 04:12 AM
Nah.......Look better as the Outlaw Josey Wales.:hansolo: