PDA

View Full Version : Clone Wars Movie and Speculation on Future Animated Films

Treefrog
13 August 2008, 05:11 AM
I was just thinking the other day:

Should Clone Wars prove to be a commercial success, and turns out to have a good story, what do you think of this speculation?:

Do you think that Lucas would give the green light on an animated Episodes 7-9?

Jedi_Shadow
13 August 2008, 07:00 AM
Doubtful, to be honest. He may give the green light to animated stories in and around the New Republic era, but I doubt they would be given "7-9" status.

Grade
13 August 2008, 07:01 AM
Don't know to be honest.

As seen on the prequels was somewhat a lowdown to me, and I'm scared of these new film. But I will see it of course.

Lucas time again told that the story ended on Episode VI. He only change if the fans demand it, since is something I don't see throughout the net or the person who will succeed Lucas, decides to make another trilogy or two with new characters and in a different period of the current movies.

Treefrog
13 August 2008, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Grade
Don't know to be honest.

As seen on the prequels was somewhat a lowdown to me, and I'm scared of these new film. But I will see it of course.

Lucas time again told that the story ended on Episode VI. He only change if the fans demand it, since is something I don't see throughout the net or the person who will succeed Lucas, decides to make another trilogy or two with new characters and in a different period of the current movies.

And yet in the introduction to Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Lucas (himself) states that the Skywalker saga was to be covered over 9 films (and I'm paraphrasing here).

I realize that he wrote that in the late 70's, but why couldn't it be as relevant today?

Jedi_Shadow
13 August 2008, 12:02 PM
The reason I don't see it being relevant today is because he's expressed pretty adamantly that the Star Wars saga (as it concerns the Skywalker story) is only six movies. Evidence suggests that he once played with the idea of nine movies, but has since recanted the notion.

- In 1978, Time magazine said that Lucas was planning on at least ten sequels to ANH.

- In 1979 and 1980 Lucas is reported as saying that the story was originally six movies, but after the success of ANH he added a trilogy to follow up the original trilogy.

- In a 1997 issue of Star Wars Insider he said that it was six movies, and any movies he made after that wouldn't be part of the main story. Then in Vanity Fair in 1999 he said "It really ends at part six."

- In 2002, he mentions Episode VII, but claims it's a slip of the tongue, and says "we're not there yet."

- In 2003, Cinescape reported that when Peter Mayhew signed his contract for Episode III, there was a clause that "required" him to work in a sequel trilogy, but any mention Lucas makes of a sequel at this time is that he has no plans for it.

I'm not saying I wouldn't love to see the trilogy made, and it seems that, if the Mayhew clause is true, that he's keeping the option open. I just think that, given the time passed, and incredible amount of material in the Expanded Universe, Lucas may feel that whatever story he had in mind has already been told enough.

Firaxa
13 August 2008, 12:30 PM
Honestly? Not a chance. No matter how successful the Clone Wars is (and here's hoping it does do well) it doesn't really have a chance of topping the success of Revenge of the Sith. If a new trilogy does come about, I believe it will be because it was the plan all along or that Lucas got ichy feet and decided for one last hurrah (much like Indy IV) than due to a cartoon pilot making a couple of bucks at the box office. Just my 2 credits.

Jedi_Shadow
13 August 2008, 12:34 PM
I agree with Firaxa. No matter whether the new Clone Wars movie/series is successful or not, it will have little bearing on the possibility of a sequel trilogy. That will happen or not, independent of current projects. It would be like saying the prequels came about because the old Ewok cartoons were so successful.

Treefrog
14 August 2008, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Jedi_Shadow
I agree with Firaxa. No matter whether the new Clone Wars movie/series is successful or not, it will have little bearing on the possibility of a sequel trilogy. That will happen or not, independent of current projects. It would be like saying the prequels came about because the old Ewok cartoons were so successful.

That's stretching it a bit much!

Jedi_Shadow
14 August 2008, 08:20 AM
I just think it's a good illustration of the relationship I see between the Clone Wars series and any possible sequel trilogy.

Now, if we're going to talk about the live-action series, then there might be a possibility. It's darker, it's fringe, and it's intended for an older audience. I can see a positive response to that influencing the decision for a 7-9 greenlight more than a kid show.

Xaturuk
16 August 2008, 05:42 AM
See, I've just recently heard this new movie referred to as "digitized" , "live" and "live action". It bothers me because I've also heard that this new movie is a more a pilot episode for a TV series. I don't know if that's just rumors.

I had thought for a while that a live action (meaning real people filmed on a set) TV series was coming in 2009. It's what you mentioned, Shadow, and I've been really looking forward to it.

These are two different TV series, right?

Jedi_Shadow
16 August 2008, 08:45 AM
There are indeed two TV series in our future.

One is a computer generated (that means digital puppets dancing around in a computer and voice actors) show that will appear on Cartoon Network called the Clone Wars, to which this new movie is something of a series premiere, intended to introduce characters and set the stage for at least 100 more episodes.

The new Clone Wars series is not to be confused with the series of short cartoon already produced in traditional 2D cell animation by Genndy Tartakovsky. That series was intended as an experiment to see if a series like this one would be worth putting together. Since it received enough acclaim, this series has come into being.

The second series in our future is the much-anticipated live action series, which has been announced to be set in the "dark times" after Episode III and before Episode IV. Real people acting in front of real cameras (I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few green screens thrown in there though). This series is not in any way connected to the new Clone Wars series, aside from the fact that they both happen in the Star Wars universe.

It's rumored to have an edgier, more adult subject matter, and, like I said, in my opinion would have more bearing on any possibility for a sequel trilogy than the Clone Wars, which is just a kid's show.

I'm curious to know what source you found that refers to Clone Wars as a live action product. If they truly think that, they need to clean their glasses...

Xaturuk
16 August 2008, 08:53 AM
I think it just might have been some source confused along the same lines as myself and just relaying information wrong.

So, good, I'm glad that it's been cleared up for me. I've been so excited about the live action series, and I really, really hope that it's not made into a teenish, soap opera, action drama like Smallville. I don't really consider that kind of thing 'adult'.

Not that I want violence or sexual themes, I just don't really go for all the clever, high-school wit, back-and-forth dialogue/drama. Have you seen any information recently on the live action series?

Jedi_Shadow
16 August 2008, 09:06 AM
According to an article in The Australian, Lucas has hired a trio of writers from Sydney who are not known for their science fiction writing. You can read more about that here (http://theforce.net/swtv/story/Some_Live_Action_Series_Tidbits_116884.asp).

If you have any other interests in the series, I encourage you to look at the Wookieepedia article here (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_live-action_TV_series).

Xaturuk
16 August 2008, 09:28 AM
Cool, thanks!

Also, here's more of the confusion I was talking about. Check this out from the very article you hypered:

"Lucas and McCallum have hired three Australian screenwriters to work on what is believed to be the first 22 episodes of a Clone Wars live-action TV series."

:?

The live action series is set in the "dark times" not the clone wars. Yet, the Clone Wars series is not live action. So what are the writers going to be doing? Confusing, right?

Anyway, I'm excited nonetheless. Good times are ahead with whatever's being released.;)