PDA

View Full Version : Droid factory

Jaggard
30 August 2008, 07:36 PM
anybody else seen these toy parts included with other packaged figures?

I've also seen the ones marked with clone gear, what's that about?

Are they interchangable parts, are they going to release more, are they going to make parts set or is this just an attempt to get you to buy all the other figures in a set for the parts?

I've always been a fan of the droids aspect of star wars and the idea of being able to build custom droids with manufactured parts appeals to me. reminds me of an idea I had a while back.

Hmmm, gotta go. I'd love to here what others think of this stuff.

cheshire
31 August 2008, 11:04 AM
The droid factory my friend had back in the 80's was all interchangeable parts for building your all new droids for the SW universe.

I'm guessing that's not the one you're talking about, though. :)

Jaggard
31 August 2008, 01:59 PM
nope but funnily enough that's the one that shows up when online searches come are done.

No I'm talking about when you go buy the new release action figures out now many will come with a leg head or torso of an astromech of at least 3 differant models. You can put the parts together and make the droid once you've collected all the parts.

I wonder if they are made in such a way that the parts are inter changable as there are differant R series. and they also have differant figures that come with parts of a protocol droid. If we can get modular battle and destroyer droids to be packaged with parts for other series droid, we could build a whole wattos junk yard of interchangable parts.

I have see only photos of the 80s droid factory, and wondered if they were re releasing that and these parts were just the warm up.

ultimately I'd like to be able to cast my own parts lik in those creepy crawler/easy bake kits. I've got some of that stuff in storage and wonder if I could make my own molds and such. tinkering with the custome droid building.

but an easier way to get the fun of that is that I have the designs on most of the buildable lego droids and if I buy the parts in bulk, make the print to go on them and such I could make droids for people and make customs. Though what kind of market is there for that I've got to wonder. I'd even try to make better versions of things like the pit droid (which I think they designed badly) and destroyer droid.

Admiral Zaarin
31 August 2008, 04:39 PM
ultimately I'd like to be able to cast my own parts lik in those creepy crawler/easy bake kits.
I used to love those things! :D Probably still have them around somewhere... :rolleyes:

Jaggard
3 September 2008, 05:56 PM
There are a few differant toys like it out there (look up thing maker) I've actually wanted to set up a few of the ones I have and experiment with some craft ideas I have. I think though that the land lady in the house where I'm a boarder would get gritchy if I used her precious electricity, despite having it as part of my rent, and I'm guessing the idea of the smell and fire risk of melted plastic wouldn't go over well.

as for the droid factory figures. It looks like there are an R7, and R4 a 3PO and one of the bug faced protocol droids so far. There may be an R2 but I'm not sure on that one.

I still don't know if the parts from one r-series are interchangable with the other. That might be cool.