PDA

View Full Version : A Question on Artoo

gmjabreson
5 November 2008, 10:35 AM
Is there anything in print that states when or why Artoo was modified that he didn't have his thrusters for mobility? Just wondering since we don't see them in the original trilogy. I was wondering if there was a reason that they were removed, or something.

hatten_jc
5 November 2008, 10:42 AM
Correction we never did see ARtoo use the trusters in the orignial.

But indication do exist that they where still their.

Fist ARto manage to navigate Under water on dagubath.
Second somehow Arto managed to move around in Dagobath djungler.

Third. Arto mange to get down and up from the X-wing with no help on more then one situation. Unless Luke lifted him down with the force he had to fly down himself.

Another teory can be that when Arto got a new body after the damge he got in Movie nr 4. (a new hope) they did not include thrusters.
The Thrusters could be an improvment Anakin Skywalker installed in his R2 unit during the clone wars.

When R2 body was damaged in the first death star battle he got a new body with no thrusters.

The main reson is most likely that the thrusters where difficult to show with that times special effects.

gmjabreson
5 November 2008, 10:48 AM
yeah, I did forget him getting repaired at end of Episode 4. I just figured after Episode 5 that Luke more or less took care of getting Artoo in and out when he thought about it.

Vanger Chevane
5 November 2008, 07:34 PM
consider that there is a somewhat technological backslide during the Imperial Era.

Weapons did get more destructive, but it seems Brute Force was favored over Elegant Solutions, and a choice made for Disposability over investing in keeping something working reliably.

Industrial Automation had been cranking out R-series Astromechs for decades, so replacing those tiny little thrusters, with the associated Tech Time may be more expensive than replacing the Astromech altogether.

Kinda like locating an Original, Working Condition over-the-side-window Air Conditioner for a 50's Buick, or paying someone to fabricate it for you.

Or the general attitude was "why on Kessel would you want an Astromech to fly?"

Look at the past 20 years of the Software World. Old software was carefully engineered & designed as storage & processor time was expensive, programmer time was relatively cheap.

Today's commercial software isn't nearly as efficient or elegant as storage & processor time is now very cheap, but Programmer Time has gotten significantly more expensive.

Agreed, R2's Wee Jump Jets have good Cool Factor, but how really useful are they comapred to the cost buying, installing, fueling, and maintaining them as a Farmboy-turned-Rebel?

Could Luke really afford & justify the cost?
IMHO if/when they malfunctioned, they were either removed, or left in place as non-functioning.

Tem_Starrunner
7 November 2008, 11:45 AM
I saw the explanation for this on Star Wars.com, in one of those holonet posts. Here's the link: http://www.holonetnews.com/55/business/1359_2.html

So with the implications of the article it may be possible that Artoo's rockets may have been removed after warranty ran out. The other option is that perhaps they were not produced anymore, either for legal reasons or manufatuering reason.

zappo inc
23 November 2008, 07:29 PM
y'all do realize R2 has the thrusters, he has always had the thrusters, and let's just relax on the retconning here and take a deep refreshing breath. Embrace reality for a moment and just accept that he didn't need to use them in any of the scenes of the original trilogy.

Han Solo has a scope on his blaster, but did he ever use it? No, but it was there. So, too, with R2's rockets.

Admiral Zaarin
24 November 2008, 12:10 PM
In the Saga Core Rulebook it does say that Automoton's thrusters were often defective and so they didn't continue to support them. This may be what happened with Artoo.

Jedi_Master_Yelrahc
16 December 2008, 09:39 PM
I think it was said in the New Essential Guide to characters that Artoo had received different modifications throughout the years of having several masters in between the events of Episodes III and IV. It was mentioned that one of Artoo's owners removed the jets. I think, will have to double-check that one.