PDA

View Full Version : SWM musings

Sithspawn
9 July 2009, 03:44 AM
I've been collecting SWM from the start with Rebel Storm and I started playing around the time the Revenge of the Sith set was released.

I've completed every set, and think Jedi Academy is a great set. In essence, I love this game.

BUT...

maybe it's just me, but the game is changing and so is the community, but not necessarily for the better.

The biggest game change I see is the number of dice rolls increasing. Originally the game was roll a D20 vs Defence. Then we had Block and Deflect. Then Evade and then Parry. Yoda's CE allowed re-rolls. But now it's attack, save, re-roll, FP re-roll, on and on... Wedge, Leia Skywalker, Holo-Sidious all add to this. I'm not liking that sort of gameplay, I preferred it simple.

Now General Obi-Wan Kenobi is banned in official DCI play. A slippery slope down to HeroClix IMHO.

All the community boards are now 90% dominated by arguments. I understand that people are arguing because they are passionate about the game, but the SWM community is no longer a place I want to be so I'm going to start giving Wizards and SWMGamers a wide birth from now on.

Is it just me?
What are your views on the state of SWM and it's community now?

gmjabreson
9 July 2009, 08:04 AM
Never really played the game, but I have been collecting them since Rebel Storm came out. I did dabble in games but never really got into it hard core enough I guess.

I mostly use the minis for roleplaying purposes.

As new sets come out, I have noticed continuous rule changes. Kind of reminds me of all the constant changes in rules and abilities in the old Magic: The Gathering card game. It seemed like every new booster/starter set had new revisions and/or abilities that you had to read about before playing that almost made the game unplayable or in some cases unenjoyable. Which is why I got out of that completely and sold my collection of those cards.

I'm hoping the figures don't get too powerful to the point of lopsiding the game to who can acquire those figures and can decimate the opponent on their own.

In a way, it sounds like it's heading that way. I did like it when it was one roll resolves everything, made the games go faster. At least, the one's I saw in action.

cheshire
13 July 2009, 03:41 AM
I've enjoyed the game for years. However, now I'm kind of getting away from it. I've mostly done casual play, and even that has turned less casual. Right now it seems like it's all about the metagame and trying to counteract the new power creeps of the recently released sets.

Squad construction has become complex enough that often times I'm just too tired at the end of the day to take the time to try to build a good squad to play with my wife.

I just recently moved from Kansas to the Boston area, and I'm not sure I really feel like finding a new minis community. I'll still keep my eye out for minis that look like they'll be good for roleplaying, and I'll probably still play the occasional game with the wife. But I don't even check the Wizards community boards anymore. As you said, it's more bickering than news.

ij thompson
13 July 2009, 06:48 AM
I still play, but just over Vassal with my friend two time zones away, and at home with my young son. The community over on the Wizards' boards is a huge turn-off, and I'm reluctant to visit any local games, for fear of meeting those kinds of people!

Plus, I couldn't care less about the 'metagame', and all of that. I play purely for fun... so if I want to make a squad of all Tusken Raiders, I'm gonna do it!

Love the game, love the figures. But for me, a good friend, Vassal, and Skype do the trick just fine. :)

Thomas
13 July 2009, 05:12 PM
I must admit that I just collect them myself. A buddy of mine and I were going to sit down for a game one day but he ended up moving to another province so nothing ever came of it.

Donovan Morningfire
17 July 2009, 02:51 AM
I think the last time I actually played a game of SWM was quite some time ago, and that was just a casual game while waiting for the GM to show up as he was running a bit late.

But otherwise, I only collect them to really use in RPG sessions, especially after a rather sour tournament experience that really was more about who had the super-cool pieces rather than themes. I guess it says something when a tournement specifically built around having themed sqauds had the most pathetic turnout the shop owner had ever seen for a tourney :rolleyes:

Darth Jerrod
19 July 2009, 08:04 AM
The game has changed. most miniature games do change over time some good some bad. General Obi Wan getting banned was I think a good thing, its the ONLY fig banned but he was also the most powerful out there.

When you see people making squads that either feature him or designed to destroy his squad there is something way off.

Having the dice rolls that you do adds a level to the game, just like roleplaying in a way. You are playing a much slimmer version of a SW RPG in a way at least in my opinion.

One rule I hate? Roll initiative and first person to go only gets to move one figure. I do not know when they changed it, is it official? cause the starter set says nothing about it, yet it was used at the release I was at. I got hosed so many times by it, it made me mad.

Some people will complain about the power creep that each set gets more and more powerful. Yeah it does, so does an RPG with all the new books that come out. That is why you will get different versions of different characters, eventually you can mix and match a nice squad with the abilities coming out with each set.

Sithspawn
22 July 2009, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Darth Jerrod
One rule I hate? Roll initiative and first person to go only gets to move one figure. I do not know when they changed it, is it official? cause the starter set says nothing about it, yet it was used at the release I was at. I got hosed so many times by it, it made me mad.
Actually it's a rule I'd like to play but my mate hates the idea. Too many times a game is determined by an Initiative roll. But as far as I was aware this was just an idea, used in D&D minis, but is not official in SWM in any form, not even DCI.

Originally posted by cheshire
Squad construction has become complex enough that often times I'm just too tired at the end of the day to take the time to try to build a good squad to play with my wife.
This I can certainly relate to.
I preferred when the game was just move & shoot. After a day at work I'm too tired to start playing all the tier 1 tactics and all that nonesense.

And sorry, I have to say it... I hate the New Republic Faction in SWM!

Stratos
24 July 2009, 08:43 AM
I haven't played in just over a year. I haven't bought any in that time either. In fact, I've sold off nearly all my minis (still trying to unload a few more R/VR). For me it has always been a problem where collectors have dominated the market driving prices up on the secondary market and gobbling up every possible figure. I honestly believe that if the game were just marketed toward gamers: a. it woulda died a long time ago because it's too basic to keep most "gamers" engaged and b. there wouldn't be so many re-sculpts of key characters. The game would be more well-rounded.