PDA

View Full Version : Use the Force...or not

stoic_75
21 August 2009, 03:13 PM
I was watching the scene in ROTC where Luke is dropped down the Rancor Pit. As we all know, he throws a skull at the door controls dropping a spiked door down on the poor beastie. Luke 1, Rancor 0.

My question is: Why bother throwing a skull at all? You could miss or not throw it hard enough or have a myriad of other mishaps. Simply use telekinesis and push the button.

Grimace
21 August 2009, 04:07 PM
Who's to say he didn't use telekinesis to help make sure that skull actually hit where he wanted it to hit? :raised:

In the quick instant as a giant lumbing creature that wants to eat you is coming towards you, you're probably not in the most calm state of mind to easily concentrate to "flip the switch" on the control panel. Quick instinct said "smash it". Foot said "here's something!" So he picked up the something and threw. Whether he helped it or just left it chance...who knows.

I personally think that there was a small bit of Force use to help that particular chain of events. It's awful convenient that the skull just happened to hit with the right force to wreck a metal control panel and cause the door to close just as the Rancor was getting there. So I think the Force was at play just a little bit.

gmjabreson
21 August 2009, 04:32 PM
I think it was mentioned somewhere that Luke didn't have "fine" control of the force to use it on small switches and such yet, but he did use the force to help guide his "throw."

I know Leia couldn't operate a light switch with the force in Zahn's Heir to the Empire books, got busted by Winter I believe on that one, since she had to get up and turn the light off instead.

Starlighter
22 August 2009, 06:43 AM
I think Luke was to exhausted to even use force powers at that moment
Take an D20 RPG approach. He is about an 8th level character. lvl 2 fringer and lvl 6 Jedi Guardian? So he has about 40 vitality points I guese

- He walks in to the palace force gripping two gamorian guards which costs him vitality points
- He used affect mind on Bib Fortuna. This it costed him some vitality points
- tried to affect mind Jabba once or twice. This costs him vitality points
- He used Move object to pull that blaster out of that guy's holster
- He got involved in some brawling and there were shots fired. THAT must have costed him vitality points!
- He fel down the pit. 1d6 or 2d6 damage?
- He used some sort of force power to make the Rancor forget him for a moment and attack the gamorian
- He got in melee combat with the rancor rancor tried to grab him and he hit him back with a rock. May have costed him vitality points
- Rancor grabed him...and it shows that that hurt a bit. So it costed him vitality points
- Rancor dropped him. So he fel 2 or 3 meters. Atleast 1d6 damage!

I think it's safe to say that Luke was out of vitality points or was atleast low on vitality points and knew he better save his strength for what was yet to come.
Simply put...he was exhausted.

Lucas Carr
22 August 2009, 06:57 AM
If we look at it using Saga, that is no longer a problem.

Aldaron
22 August 2009, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Lucas Carr
If we look at it using Saga, that is no longer a problem.

Except that he'd already used "Move Object" to grab the guard's blaster pistol, and was out of Force points, so he couldn't return it to his suite.

:D

(Just bein' a smart arse! :) )

Thomas
23 August 2009, 03:52 AM
Sorry to take this one step further but could he have used the Move Light Object aspect of the Use The FOrce skill on the skull or would it be too big?

Starlighter
23 August 2009, 05:32 AM
Maybe just a crazy idea then...

But POSSIBLY Lucas just wanted to make a cool scene and never worried about the things we a breaking out heads on now. :rolleyes:

Thomas
23 August 2009, 01:24 PM
Let's go with that one, it makes more sense than us breaking it down into its component parts.

boccelounge
23 August 2009, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Starlighter

But POSSIBLY Lucas just wanted to make a cool scene and never worried about the things we a breaking out heads on now. :rolleyes:
Too true... and that's good enough for me. But I think gmjabreson has the right of it: I can't remember exactly, and I don't have the book handy, but IIRC the RotJ novelization makes some mention of Luke's desperation and/or lack of fine control when hurling the bones...

stoic_75
24 August 2009, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Starlighter

but remind me to hire you as my Press Secretary. :twilek: :P

zappo inc
6 September 2009, 07:14 PM
don't forget that in phantom menace, during final saber showdown, Maul uses telekinesis to grab an object from the floor and hurl it at a control panel to open the door behind him....seems to me to be how the Force works - not so much fine control. only the emperor demonstrated such control, when he unlocked luke's binders in the throneroom.

Deck
6 October 2009, 12:53 PM
Hello all!

Here is another possible aspect to keep in mind. Remember that Luke has had - like his father before him - a relatively normal childhood. Meaning that he learned to have emotions including fear and panic. And he still had fears when he left Dagobah in "The Empire Strikes Back". So it might be possible that Luke was just afraid by this immense creature and threw the object out of a panic reflex. Once thrown he might have used the Force to finally control its flight. :)

Just an idea. ;)

Cheers,

~ HiAd

stoic_75
6 October 2009, 05:32 PM
Good point. That's at least somewhat reasonable.

Originally posted by Deck
Hello all!

Here is another possible aspect to keep in mind. Remember that Luke has had - like his father before him - a relatively normal childhood. Meaning that he learned to have emotions including fear and panic. And he still had fears when he left Dagobah in "The Empire Strikes Back". So it might be possible that Luke was just afraid by this immense creature and threw the object out of a panic reflex. Once thrown he might have used the Force to finally control its flight. :)

Just an idea. ;)

Cheers,

~ HiAd