PDA

View Full Version : Obi-wan's Poker Face

gmjabreson
7 November 2010, 01:35 AM
After thinking about Episode 4, the scene where Obi-wan and Luke are listening to the message from Leia, I had a thought.....Obi-wan has one hell of a poker face.

"General Kenobi, you fought with my FATHER in the Clone Wars, and he needs your help again." To paraphrase....

Yeah, he fought with her father, but I don't think Vader sent her, nor would you really think that Vader wants his help, after the events at the end of Episode 3.

Yet, Obi sat there without even a tick from his nose, or a movement from a hand, at the mention of "her father."

Forget the fact that he can call on the force and tell if you're bluffing. Knowing who she was, who she was to his temporary guests, and who their father was, he does nothing and the only thing he says to Luke is, "you must learn the ways of the force, if you're to go with me to Alderaan."

BRodgers
7 November 2010, 07:32 AM
Well, the question begs to be asked:

How much of it was Obi Wan's "poker face" or Sir Alec Guiness' "lets get this nonsense over and done with so I can get paid and get back home" face?

:D

gmjabreson
7 November 2010, 07:43 AM
I got that impression from Tarkin, when he was standing waiting for Vader to bring Leia to him.....

But yeah, Alec in his older years was probably just as impatient as he was in his younger years. He could have also been thinking "What take are we on this time? 20th? 40th?"

Admiral Zaarin
7 November 2010, 10:09 AM
And there's also the obvious fact that Leia thought she was referring to Bail Organa.:rolleyes:

wolverine
8 November 2010, 12:07 AM
Where do you get that from?

gmjabreson
8 November 2010, 02:13 AM
where does who, get what, from?

we aren't talking about Leia's hologram, we know she believed Bail to be her father, but Obi Wan knew who her TRUE father was....

Whill
13 November 2010, 07:00 PM
In-universe, at the time of the orignial film's production, Bail Organa was meant to be Leia's actual father. Leia being Luke's long-lost sister (and thus Anakin/Vader's daughter) was not added to the mythos until the pre-production of Return of the Jedi.

In-universe, retroactively, Anakin/Vader was Leia's biological father, and she didn't know that until RotJ. She was referring to Bail Organa in the hologram. But it is revealed in RotJ that Leia knew she was adopted. So even retroactively, I don't see Obi-Wan needing a poker face when it is obvious who Leia is referring to, the man Obi-Wan knows is her adoptive father (and the man Obi-Wan knows she knows is her adoptive father).

BTW, the actual line is, "General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars..." Retroactively, that is shown to mean that in the Clone Wars, the Jedi served the Republic, which was lead by the Senate that Bail Organa was a member of. For reference, in Revenge of the Sith Obi-Wan says, "Anakin, my allegiance is to the Republic, to democracy!"

Something that was always planned (as long as the first film was sucessful enough to produce sequels) was that Vader would eventually be revealed to be Luke's father. What I find more noteworthy about that scene in Ben's desert home is when Luke asks about his father. Obi-Wan takes a breath and looks away nervously as be begins to say, "A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi knights. He betrayed and murdered your father. Now the Jedi are all but extinct. Vader was seduced by the dark side of the Force." Obi-Wan acts as if he is not being completely honest. Did Sir Alec Guiness have any clue that Vader was Luke's father at that point? No, but it was done that way at the direction of Lucas and really only means more than the words he says retroactively in light of the sequels and prequels.

Fingon
24 November 2010, 03:21 PM
One thing that very pleasantly surprised me was how well the prequels flow into episode 4, something I didn't expect to happen. Obi-Wan's old sagely ramblings suddenly have a lot more weight behind them... the world he lived in doesn't even exist by the time he picks up Luke.

Even so, I agree with the "poker face." He probably hasn't seen or heard from Leia for years, if not most of her life, and suddenly Luke, Anakin's old droids and she all show up. Pretty well composed for all of that ;)

Admiral Zaarin
24 November 2010, 05:21 PM
What, is foreseeing limited to the Emperor and the Dark Side? :P

Fingon
24 November 2010, 10:34 PM
Touche.

wolverine
25 November 2010, 11:02 PM
Perhaps he felt he had no reason to 'forsee' events/