PDA

View Full Version : Decade, Wuh?

BRodgers
28 March 2011, 10:50 AM
The old saying of ďTime flies when youíre having funĒ is only partly true. Time ALWAYS flies. Case in point: Ten years ago this month Raptor Squad made itís debut on the World Wide Web (or ďInterwebsĒ as the crazy kids say these days).

Wow.

A whole decade has literally flown by and itís hard to wrap oneís head around that fact. And in that time, so many things have happened, not just in our little corner of Lucasí Universe, but in the real world as well. Itís amazing that many of the folks reading this right now may have barely been out of diapers.

It makes a Webmaster like me feel kinda old actually.

But! Iíve always been a believer that age is really just a number, and itís how you live, how you feel and how you view the world around you that determines how young or old you really are. When you stop dreaming, stop trying and stop believing, thatís when you start feeling old, and to be honest, Iím not there yet, not by a long shot.

So! I know youíre asking yourself ďGreat, a decade is past, and now what?Ē Yeah, well me too, Iíve been asking myself that a lot.

In fact, as far back as four years ago, I sent out the following to our group members:

ďI've decided that when the RS site reaches it's 10 year anniversary, I'm locking it down to (most) new stuff and it will exist as a shrine to our game and the good times.

Granted, this is still about 4 years off, but I think itís a good end point.Ē

Well, four years have passed, and now I look back on those words and realize I have a decision to make:

End it, or keep moving forward?

And I realize, not to get too philosophical, but that exactly the question we all face as time moves on and we get older. And one has to ask an important question that makes the decision a lot easier:

ďDid I accomplish everything I wanted to?Ē

In looking at the Raptor Squad site, pouring over the hundreds of pages of content and the decadeís worth of work, I realize that the answer is no. A strong ďnoĒ even, the kind that scares your dog.

There is still a story to be told here thatís far from over. There is still fiction to produce, still characters to be introduced, artwork waiting to burst forth from my hands and new features and content Iím itching to create for those diehards out there still using the D6 system.

Locking down the site and walking away from it would be like leaving a painting incomplete, or a story unfinished, and in a real way thatís exactly what it is.

I donít know how long the site will continue, or how long real life will allow me to continue telling our story, but you canít let that stop you. You have to put your nose down, move forward and keep doing what you love and what makes you happy for as long as you can.

Because in the end, thatís all that really matters. Happiness.

Because life is too short for anything less.

So, consider this a ďTen Year PreviewĒ post. As Iíve decided April, all month long Iíll be adding to the site and dedicating all thirty days to bringing the community new content, new features and furthering the Raptor Squad story.

Thanks for letting me ramble, and though Iíll be saying it all throughout April in one fashion or another, thanks for hanging in there with us.

And what the hell, hereís to another decade!!!

:D

Darklighter
29 March 2011, 02:48 PM
Congratulations on the 10 year birthday, Bob!

Ronin
29 March 2011, 07:04 PM
Omedetou gozaimasu!

Congratulations BRodgers and I'm relieved to hear there will be more new content and that you won't be locking the site. :)

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
29 March 2011, 07:42 PM
Here's to another 10 years BRodgers! B)

BRodgers
31 March 2011, 01:29 PM
Thanks guys!

You are the best!

Look forward to something new showing up this weekend!

:D