PDA

View Full Version : Public knowledge and the Dark Side

Ronin
13 April 2011, 08:10 PM
During the Old Republic (as seen in Episodes I) the Sith are a historic evil, thought to have been wiped out a thousand years previously. Then during the Galactic Civil War the Jedi themselves are an old religion and the Force mystified more than when a hundred thousand Jedi were guardians of the Republic.
Now, my question is not about the galactic public's knowledge of the Force, but rather of its two aspects: the Light and the Dark (if I remember correctly the Light Side is never actually specifically named that in the films whereas the Dark Side is, but it's a useful moniker).

Before the Battle of Ruusan I expect recognition of the two aspects might possibly be public knowledge: the conflict between Jedi and Sith being widespread that I would guess the common Republic citizen would know something of their differences in powers.

Afterwards, circa Episode I and beyond into the Rebellion Era I would guess that no one would know or have heard of the Dark Side.

Your thoughts?

Admiral Zaarin
14 April 2011, 10:12 AM
I'd expect a similar circumstance to what we see in the KotOR2 era: Jedi and Sith are just different names for the same thing and both are a nuisance. The Emperor very likely carefully fostered this view as convenient for the annihilation of the Jedi.

Derrynger
14 April 2011, 11:28 AM
I agree to the extent that most citizens, at least those in civilized societies, would have a basic understanding of the light and dark side via the difference between sith and jedi. I think it would be more that the jedi are viewed as an unneeded force more than a nuisance because the average citizen would only know of the sith and its power through history lessons and galactic lore not so much first hand as their ancestors would have.

During the rebellion they obviously know of the sith and many still know of the jedi through word of mouth more than actual data i would believe, most of the data would reflect how the jedi were an evil force with the sith conquered to bring order to the galaxy

Hush
17 April 2011, 11:26 PM
I would say the level of knowledge is really debateable.

In periods not engulfed in a Force User conflict, the moniker of 'Dark Side' tells the average Joe that the dark side is bad, but beyond that they don't really know. And the 'Force' is some mystical magical thing the Jedi throw around and beat up bad guys with.

As for the Rebellion Era, you didn't talk about Jedi or the Force. If anyone one heard 'The Dark Side of the Force" they'd probably assume it wasn't pleasant and then hope no one from the ISB around to see them overhear other people talking about the Force.

wolverine
18 April 2011, 02:56 PM
It also depends where you go..