PDA

View Full Version : Super Star destroyer

schalk
16 October 2011, 06:04 PM
I just finished rerereading Iron Fist of the X-wing series. And in it Zsinj almost ended up controlling 2 super star destroyers, Iron Fist and Razor's Kiss. What ran threw my mind was what kind of infrastructure must have Zsinji had to try supporting them both.

Grimace
16 October 2011, 07:29 PM
I guess it really depends on the operating cost of one of them. I mean, you'd assume they'd have to have fabricators for a lot of things, possibly including food, for ships that large. Otherwise they'd fill up more than half of their size just in air, food and water supplies.

So then you're faced with what the cost of running that would be. How much does an Imperial officer, crewman, TIE pilot, army trooper and stormtrooper earn each month? Multiply that by the people and if you've got funds in a denomination that the crews recognize as worth something, and you could do it. Granted it would probably take quite a bit of funds, but I don't know if you'd necessarily need much extra in the way of fuel, food and supplies.

wolverine
17 October 2011, 01:28 PM
Well, we know from the Wraith novels he had lots of blackbook ops going on generating him funds

Vanger Chevane
17 October 2011, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Grimace
I guess it really depends on the operating cost of one of them. I mean, you'd assume they'd have to have fabricators for a lot of things, possibly including food, for ships that large. Otherwise they'd fill up more than half of their size just in air, food and water supplies.

So then you're faced with what the cost of running that would be. How much does an Imperial officer, crewman, TIE pilot, army trooper and stormtrooper earn each month? Multiply that by the people and if you've got funds in a denomination that the crews recognize as worth something, and you could do it. Granted it would probably take quite a bit of funds, but I don't know if you'd necessarily need much extra in the way of fuel, food and supplies.

Either in Iron Fist or Wedge's Gamble it defines the complement for an SSD.

IIRC showhere around 120 thousand plus crew & troops, 3 or 6 TIE wings and a one-ship battlefleet eight kilometers long.

That would take a monstrous amount of crew pay & food, along with vast amounts of supplies & stores. Tthe regular Star Destroyer uses up a certain amount of fuel, I'd say multiply by ten for running an SSD.

In short, it's extremely expensive to staff, operate, and supply a Super Star Destroyer. Since an ISD is worth "billions and billoins of credits" according to Booster Terrik, I assum an SSD would be worh Trillions, or possibly eve Quadrillions of credits.