PDA

View Full Version : The great space race..

wolverine
4 January 2012, 04:16 PM
I am looking for yet another module to write, one which is more dice intensive than normal, but is NOT combat dice intensive..

I plan on it being a 3 part module.. each ending with the group picking up one of the 3 set piece 'flags' or other items to find.

Part 1 i was looking to start out on tatooine, with the hutts and a local imp moff greeting all the participants and giving the briefing on the race.
Then straight into it.

The first part (module), would have 3 legs, but leg 1 has 3 parts..
Part 1 is a running roll to get to beasts of burden, that you (2)ride to the space port, to then take off, to way point 1.
leg 2 is an asteroid run with imp ships watching (and news ships showing the race). Any crashes in the field are immediately picked up by the imp ships, and repaired (20 man crew), but that ship/team are penalized by a 2 hour lag.
Way point 2 from there MIGHT have some sort of time filler if needed.
Then to WP 3, with a list of buildings on a planet where the 'flags' maybe hidden in (investigations, sneak, search) to locate it an finally another running area, where you go from there to the 'finish line.

Part 1 trip times tallied.. lead board posted.

Part 2 starts on same planet, with each team given a task of repairing THEIR choice of 3 vehicles.
Ground.. slow but the ground route has little in the way of obsticles to hinder movement.
Hover/low level repulsor. Faster, but has more to hinder.
High level (flight ceiling) repulsor, even more fast, but with more to hinder.

This gets you to the other space port, where your ship was 'tug boated' too, and some more repairs to make (an independent team got on and disassembled critical areas. Poss search and command use here to coordinate getting your parts back..
Then onto the race to space (with ships with powered down lasers shooting.. as the ship 'racks the damage up' inhibiters kick in to lessen your flight capacity.
Then the hypering to way point 4. onto some junk dealers, to get some key components for finding flag 2 (bargain, con, command, persuasion).
Then hypering to way point 5, for a imp inspection site (and removal of the inhibors/sensor stuff from earlier). bureaucracy/persuasion/bribes may help get this fast tracked...

then to Imp space station XYZ (decommed, to go ZERO G through to find the safe zone to locate flag 2.
Finally down to the planet, where you use repulsor skiffs (all teams have the same one assigned) to make a fast race run to the finish line for part 2.. maybe with some shooting/throwing of stuff to make it harder.

Then onto part 3 (the grand finale).. Leg 1 takes you to planet X where you need to use either the provided archaic ship/airspeeder to fly through markers 1-6, or barter/con/bribe locals to use their ones to complete it (flat out stealing them not allowed). A sort of obstcle course at the end to 'run through' to again some beasts of burden, or alternate jet packs, to use to get back to the initial entrance point.. then a 'gauntlet of salad, egg, glop grenade tossing that you have to 'weather' to get back to ship...
Then leg 2 takes you to another asteroid field, but this one has targets you also have to shoot down.. each missed target (if you pass it you can't shoot it any more) adds X time to your overall time for this event.
Then to the hyper point to the next place to find flag 3. (not sure what to make it, but am thinking lots of climbing, accrobatic/athletic areas), then back to tatooine where you have your final beast riding and running back to the initial starting point..

Winning team gets 250k credits and bragging rights (along with maybe some other stuff)
2nd place, gets 100k
3rd gets 50k..

Was looking to place 4-6 opponent teams in, which the other players on the table could make rolls for to see how "THEY do".

Well, what do you think for the outline.?

Any add ons/changes to make??

Fingon
4 January 2012, 06:05 PM
I've never done a race before, but this is my first thought:

What about this makes it more than just luck with your rolls and the stats on your character sheet? There has to be some element that allows creativity to give an edge, rather than a lucky hand. I see that you have choice of vehicles and bribes and things, but how much flexibility would you really have.

The problem with allowing it to be too open-ended, however, is that the other players would be RIGHT THERE and have a heads-up on what's going on, unless you are doing this online.

That said, this sounds like it could be quite a bit of fun. I especially like the mock combat, with hits taken penalizing speed and maneuverability, and later the asteroid field with targets.

A potential problem I am seeing is trying to balance the different flavors of track. For example: Will an ace pilot gain such an advantage over those without his skills that great physical endurance or street smarts won't matter? Will the players need to have skills in every area, or can they specialize in their particular field?

I'm interested to see how it pans out.

Grimace
4 January 2012, 08:07 PM
This sounds like a MONSTER adventure. No really.

First part has a briefing, foot race, vehicle race, a starship race through asteroids, and a treasure hunt through buildings on a planet.

Second part has another vehicle race of different types, a "find the problem with your starship" race, and then a hunt through zero-g.

Third part is an obstacle course, an asteroid shooting gallery, and another hunt.

This adventure is going to take multiple gaming sessions unless you've got some way rapidly speeding up chases or your races and hunts are really, really short.

Or are you making this into 3 separate adventures?

The suggestions I'd have would be to vary the challenges a bit more.
Have a water-borne race.
Have an underground foot race in almost total darkness.
Have a riding mount race (you mentioned this, but as an option to foot...don't make it an option).
Have a starship race through nebula or radiation zone, or put some of the "gates" they have to fly through within the upper atmosphere of some gas giants or near a sun (like in a mercury-like zone, so things can be damaged but ships are unlikely to be outright destroyed) or some other challenging location.

Some thoughts:
Who's hosting this race? The Empire? For what purpose? Picking their newest TIE pilot recruits?

If the Empire isn't doing this for some reason, I'd keep them out of it. Just makes people's trigger fingers a bit more itchy. You wanted this to be less combat oriented, but it sounds like you're putting in a lot of opportunities for "randomly stray shots" affecting things. If you really don't want combat, have the race organizers disable all weapons with a special adaptor that registers when the trigger is pulled and whether it would be a hit (kinda like MILES) but no actual bolt is emitted. This makes it even more interesting if you throw in an actual creature or pirate scum that decides to crash the race course.

This would also make the players have to think of much more non-combat ways of getting out of tight situations.

All in all, it's a good idea. I think it's a BIG idea, with a LOT of gaming involved, but it's a neat one!

wolverine
4 January 2012, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Fingon
I've never done a race before, but this is my first thought:

What about this makes it more than just luck with your rolls and the stats on your character sheet? There has to be some element that allows creativity to give an edge, rather than a lucky hand. I see that you have choice of vehicles and bribes and things, but how much flexibility would you really have.

That;s where having more than just the PC who is doing the piloting etc comes in.. Techs in engineering trying to jury rig more juice out of the engines. Other PC's for doing the face stuff and coming up with idea's to assist.

The problem with allowing it to be too open-ended, however, is that the other players would be RIGHT THERE and have a heads-up on what's going on, unless you are doing this online.

This would be (like all the other 11 modules i have wrote) for our Sparks campaign, which is convention based...

That said, this sounds like it could be quite a bit of fun. I especially like the mock combat, with hits taken penalizing speed and maneuverability, and later the asteroid field with targets.

Thanks. I was thinking most of my mods have been more combat based. As a player i have loved the ones more problem based or competition style.. So i was going for that way.

A potential problem I am seeing is trying to balance the different flavors of track. For example: Will an ace pilot gain such an advantage over those without his skills that great physical endurance or street smarts won't matter? Will the players need to have skills in every area, or can they specialize in their particular field?

I'm interested to see how it pans out.

It's not just the 1 PC who can shine.. but all. Like relay races... one good guy in each spot so to speak.

Originally posted by Grimace
This sounds like a MONSTER adventure. No really.

First part has a briefing, foot race, vehicle race, a starship race through asteroids, and a treasure hunt through buildings on a planet.

Second part has another vehicle race of different types, a "find the problem with your starship" race, and then a hunt through zero-g.

Third part is an obstacle course, an asteroid shooting gallery, and another hunt.

This adventure is going to take multiple gaming sessions unless you've got some way rapidly speeding up chases or your races and hunts are really, really short.

Or are you making this into 3 separate adventures?

it would be 3 parts. Like several other modules our group has, it would be a
XXX (insert number of module here) A, B and C.. Where each of the 3 phases is one module.

The suggestions I'd have would be to vary the challenges a bit more.
Have a water-borne race.
Have an underground foot race in almost total darkness.

Ohh.. i like.. I might make one of the air portions over water instead.

Have a riding mount race (you mentioned this, but as an option to foot...don't make it an option).

The initial and ending parts are both mount riding then foot (or foot then mount).

Some thoughts:
Who's hosting this race? The Empire? For what purpose? Picking their newest TIE pilot recruits?

The hutts in conjunction with the Empire and imperial specific companies.. Why. PR. Do something like this and those companies who are hosting it/officiating it get great PR, and the empire is not going to be seen badily for a while.

This would also make the players have to think of much more non-combat ways of getting out of tight situations.

All in all, it's a good idea. I think it's a BIG idea, with a LOT of gaming involved, but it's a neat one!

Thanks G.. That is what effect i would be going for.. lots of involvement on all parts, but also in a neat way.

Sarge
8 January 2012, 08:23 PM
Wolverine, do you remember the race campaign notes I posted a few years back? The thread was in the GM forum and I think I titled it The Great Space Race. I tried to search for it a minute ago, but I got an error message.

Fingon
8 January 2012, 08:43 PM
I tried to search for it a minute ago, but I got an error message.

I think that's been broken for a while now. I can't access my account either.

wolverine
8 January 2012, 10:21 PM
Yes i do.. that is in part what was inspiring me.

wolverine
21 January 2012, 08:33 PM
For note, due to our group already having a module known as the great space race i was forced to come up with another name.. And went with one honoring the old classic from the 80s, the Gumball Rally.. Its now known as the Laser cannon Rally.

Sarge
9 February 2012, 06:01 PM
The new upgrade seems to have fixed the search function, and The Great Space Race is still there in the GM forum. If you'll excuse me for a little while, it's time for ol' Sarge to take a stroll down memory lane...

Sarge
10 February 2012, 09:36 AM
It took me a couple of hours, but I reread that whole thread. I had forgotten half the crazy stuff that happened in that campaign. Good times...